Is there any way of skipping the boring kitten that is the living world "story" segments? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Living World

Is there any way of skipping the boring kitten that is the living world "story" segments?

I have had to minimise the game every time one of the boring kitten opens their mouth and would much prefer to explore the maps and forego any of the kitten that comes with them.

Is there a mod that cuts through the kitten and just lets you go on with things?

Comments

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020

If you want to ignore the story and just want to play the maps:
    Get to party someone on the map and use:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport_to_Friend
    and then buy the Portal scrolls for the maps
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Portal_Scroll
    such that your other chars can get there easily as well.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

You do need to own the story chapter to get into the maps via the above method though

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    You do need to own the story chapter to get into the maps via the above method though

Owning the chapter doesn't mean you have to play it.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Owning the chapter doesn't mean you have to play it.

I know?

I referred to needing the chapter to teleport into the map

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Unfortunately with elements like skyscales locked behind the story segments it is unavoidable to actually have to do the dull kitten - if Arenanet finally disconnected the two and made all content available without the rubbish fluff and totally unlikeable characters it would be far better. I found the events with Scarlet so dull I avoided most of the Living World 1 kitten... then I bought HoT and found myself saddled with a bunch of kitten... what the kitten? I skipped that kitten for a reason.

• Tukaram.8256Tukaram.8256 Member ✭✭✭

I just want to fight the critters - I would love a skip option for all the long story portions, and all cinematics. I could not care less about a story in a game.

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020

@assasin oates.3018 said:
    Why are you people even playing this game?

Everyone for own reasons. ;)

• Farout.8207Farout.8207 Member ✭✭✭

WvW is honestly the only reason I play the game but I still do the Living World garbage to open up the new reward tracks/currencies.

~Cleetus

• zombyturtle.5980zombyturtle.5980 Member ✭✭✭

I like the combat.

• Friday.7864Friday.7864 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020

Content wise it's a good game. Locking that content behind story is a kitten move.
    The NPC interactions are just MIND NUMBING to me.
    If they have the urge to force people to do something, they should force them into a tutorial to teach them about CC and other basics! Not story, that should have been optional from the start!

• Sylari.9814Sylari.9814 Member ✭✭

Probably the one thing I miss from the base game. Those stupid cutscenes weren't great, but being able to skip them saved a lot of time for people who weren't into the story or were working on alternate characters.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020

@Sylari.9814 said:
    Probably the one thing I miss from the base game. Those stupid cutscenes weren't great, but being able to skip them saved a lot of time for people who weren't into the story or were working on alternate characters.

The official reason that you can't skip story content (especially cutscenes) is because due to the game's MMO nature, the server is using cutscenes from LS2 onward to set up the environment in the background without the player seeing.

This is why Personal Story was divided up into so many small missions, to get around that limitation.

In other words, if they remove the cutscenes, it won't actually make them go away, they'll just be replace with a loading screen.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 15k hours, ~27k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Alisha Kei/Druid(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW)

• Sylari.9814Sylari.9814 Member ✭✭

That's fair, I suppose. I just know the "wait for the NPCs to finish talking so the next objective spawns" mechanics can be really frustrating for some people, especially on alternate characters when you're just trying to unlock something again.

• Umut.5471Umut.5471 Member ✭✭✭

I like the story, but there should be an option to skip dialogs and walks faster. When I'm playing the same story for the second time for achievements or unlocking it on other characters I need the ability to skip stuff. Some missions allow this, some don't.

• Solvar.7953Solvar.7953 Member ✭✭✭

While I can understand that there may some stuff going on in the background that takes time, I find it hard to imagine that in most case it takes the full time that some of the characters jabber on for. So add something like 'Can skip in 10 seconds', with a countdown and inactive skip button that becomes active to allow these background tasks time to complete (adjust time as necessary) - it can't make things any slower.