WvW Chests - Suggestion

BomberT.8259

Hello, good afertnoon gamers. How are you? I would like to make a suggestion. Just like sPvP why don't you add gold to WvW chests? There are players, like me for example, who only do WvW and do not do PvP because the game mode doesn't appeal to me. In my opinion it would be better for you to attract more people to this type of content since when you create the first character, you have to choose a server to play and you don't even know what it is about. It is just a suggestion to make the game mode more attractive to some people and better for those who already do. I hope you haven't offended anyone. Thank you and have a good day :3

@"Stealth Bomber X.9402" said:Just like sPvP why don't you add gold to WvW chests?It has been speculated (though never really brought to light) that Anet have been reluctant with rewards within WvW for some unfounded fear of exploitation even though win-trading in sPvP has been rampant and PvE have so much better reward-progression that you could never really "win-trade" yourself to anything remotely similar in WvW.

That can be applied to many things in WvW where fear of upsetting the broad casual content or perpetuity of the game mode has suggestedly made the developers overly cautious to make related changes to WvW (ie., there has been a shift into seeing sPvP as the competetive mode and WvW as the leftover mode that serves to maintain the facade of the old).

I've never really been one to subscribe to those speculations too much myself (I'm more in the general-neglect/untapped potential/developer competence and preference camp) but they have certainly been floated around here over the course of time.

Ed. I tried to take some "big words" out of this as I stacked them up a bit, but I couldn't really find a way to do it without losing the precision of what I wanted to say. If someone can put this in more common words, feel free to do so.

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:"That can be applied to many things in WvW where fear of upsetting the broad casual content or perpetuity of the game mode has suggestedly made the developers overly cautious to make related changes to WvW (ie., there has been a shift into seeing sPvP as the competetive mode and WvW as the leftover mode that serves to maintain the facade of the old)."

I understood your answer and I believe it would be very different from spvp. Nowadays it is very complicated to define who is the best, not to say impossible. Is it who has more kills? Is it the one that gets the most goals? Is it the one that plays the most time during the week? It's all very relative because there are many types of scores to be obtained in this game mode, and unlike pvp, you have no rewards if you win the week or not, which in my view would be interesting to place a reward in the chests for players. Everyone, whether you win or lose, just complete the chest. Thank you very much for your opinion on my suggestion and any constructive criticism is welcome. Take care :)

@"Stealth Bomber X.9402" said:Thank you very much for your opinion on my suggestion and any constructive criticism is welcome. Take care :)Just to make it clear to everyone else: I think the suggestion is good and that there is plenty of room to seed WvW with more gold so WvW-players can keep up with players in other modes on things that everyone wants (crafting, conversions for account upgrades etc.). At least as far as just adding more gold to the "rank up" side of the personal rewards in WXP levels or weekly chests.

If we're talking about rewards and carrots to be competetive, I'd say that WvW has always had two very clear ways to do that: The ladder and GvG's. The ladder has always been there it's just that Anet has never been invested enough in the game mode to fix what the ladder is meant to represent. They have made a couple of half-hearted jabs at it over 8 years (skirmishes, links etc.) or made promises of unecessarily big changes that has never really left the drawing table (Alliances et al.). It's why people keep bringing these things up. They are important for more reasons than the obvious and direct ones. They could also provide alot for relatively little work (even if I understand that the backbone of World restructuring is not a little task by itself; keyword: relative).

Fixing the "vision" for WvW is not harder than to make sure the ladder represents content outcomes (ie., winners among even sides) rather than pre-existing resources (ie., more players/coverage) whereas GvG can be supported in many ways that require very little upkeep from Anet. A simple but functional Arena and even just a smidge of PR support for player-run tournaments could easily be enough whereas even a fully committed support for it with official tournaments, guild ladders etc., isn't too demanding.

It is far easier to use existing things that already has the potential to work than going about it in contrived ways of creating exhausting server tournaments and new game modes that no one has asked for, which they did with the 2013+2014 tournaments plus Strongholds. We got Strongholds because they thought they knew better or because someone without vision wanted in on that sweet Moba money. Server tournaments on the other hand can likely be chalked up to the earlier discussion of a fear of iterating and improving upon such concepts as the old tournaments taught them that they burnt out important actors such as commanders or competetive guilds.

The truth remains that the ladder can be enough for server-level rewards if populations become balanced and the best way to run tournaments is to run guild-level tournaments. There has always been 1v1, 5v5, 10v10 and 15v15 scenes in WvW that has persisted inspite of every discouragement thrown their way. Occassionally there has also been 20v20, 25v25 and 50v50 events too. To somehow suggest that GvG is not wanted, does not fit the mode or can't be done would be contrary to every evidence.

@subversiontwo.7501 said:The truth remains that the ladder can be enough for server-level rewards if populations become balanced and the best way to run tournaments is to run guild-level tournaments. There has always been 1v1, 5v5, 10v10 and 15v15 scenes in WvW that has persisted inspite of every discouragement thrown their way. Occassionally there has also been 20v20, 25v25 and 50v50 events too. To somehow suggest that GvG is not wanted, does not fit the mode or can't be done would be contrary to every evidence.

I understood what you meant. I just want to reiterate that they can add some bigger rewards for players who just make that content because the game its casual and you dont need to do what you dont like then not put PvE changes that end up impacting the gameplay and stability of the server, like mounts for example...

The only reason I can think of why we don't have gold included in the WvW chests is we do get other material rewards by playing the game that PvP players do not.

Loot bags, resource nodes, and even the chance for exotic/ascended drops are something WvW has that PvP does not. Just this morning I got an ascended weapon chest when I ranked up, and two months back a Tower Lord dropped a precursor for me. On a regular day, opening up 50 heavy loot bags gives a decent supply of T5/T6 materials and trophies.

Now none of this comes close to what you can earn in the same amount of time in PvE, but if we are comparing PvP to WvW, we have to acknowledge that they don't get these types of drops.

25s per wood chest = 1g total for tier50s per bronze chest = 2g total for tier75s per silver chest = 3g75s total for tier1g per gold chest = 5g total for tier1g 25s per platinum chest = 6g 25s total for tier1g 50s per mithril chest = 9g total for tier1g 75s per diamond chest = 10g 50s total for tier2g per repeatable diamond chest = 12g total for tier (may help keep players in the game mode after they complete diamond)

For the completion of Diamond each week would give your 37g 50s that is excluding the repeatable diamond chest where you could make more.

This is not a big ask seeing how if you spend an hour a day doing fractals you can make way more than this in a week.

Only real problem I see is that we may see an increase in bot traffic taking up spots in WvW trying to farm gold through pips.

@Excursion.9752 said:25s per wood chest = 1g total for tier50s per bronze chest = 2g total for tier75s per silver chest = 3g75s total for tier1g per gold chest = 5g total for tier1g 25s per platinum chest = 6g 25s total for tier1g 50s per mithril chest = 9g total for tier1g 75s per diamond chest = 10g 50s total for tier2g per repeatable diamond chest = 12g total for tier (may help keep players in the game mode after they complete diamond)

For the completion of Diamond each week would give your 37g 50s that is excluding the repeatable diamond chest where you could make more.

This is not a big ask seeing how if you spend an hour a day doing fractals you can make way more than this in a week.

Only real problem I see is that we may see an increase in bot traffic taking up spots in WvW trying to farm gold through pips.

I know this thread is about the WvW chests (ie skirmish chests), but an ongoing complaint by newer players about the difference in rewards for new players mainly because of the pop gain.

I would take this a slightly different route:If we are increasing ‘rewards’ for WvW play, add mystic coins in the WvW reward tracks. Any that are repeatable. (As in the one time chests there are generally better rewards)

Put one in each 1/4 track chest. 4 per WvW track. That’s 8 gold per 5-8 hour track.

Rewards players who play more as well, but isn’t overtly veteran favorable.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:25s per wood chest = 1g total for tier50s per bronze chest = 2g total for tier75s per silver chest = 3g75s total for tier1g per gold chest = 5g total for tier1g 25s per platinum chest = 6g 25s total for tier1g 50s per mithril chest = 9g total for tier1g 75s per diamond chest = 10g 50s total for tier2g per repeatable diamond chest = 12g total for tier (may help keep players in the game mode after they complete diamond)

I know this thread is about the WvW chests (ie skirmish chests), but an ongoing complaint by newer players about the difference in rewards for new players mainly because of the pop gain.

I would take this a slightly different route:If we are increasing ‘rewards’ for WvW play, add mystic coins in the WvW reward tracks. Any that are repeatable. (As in the one time chests there are generally better rewards)

Put one in each 1/4 track chest. 4 per WvW track. That’s 8 gold per 5-8 hour track.

Rewards players who play more as well, but isn’t overtly veteran favorable.Why shouldn't veterans be favored? Most things in this game is geared toward the new player casual experience.

I am in a 50 man zerg nearly every night on voice and the most common complaint I hear (outside of no updates) is that there is no reason to keep playing after you received your final diamond chest. From my point of view you don't need to be a veteran to get to the final diamond chest you just have to play the game mode.

Veterans will get there quicker because of their increased pip rate based on level. This should inspire people to get their level up and the only way to do that is play and while they play they will eventually get to the final diamond chest. Then as they keep playing their journey to the final chest becomes shorter as they move up the rank ladder as well.

Rewarding the veterans will keep them playing and with them playing it wont feel as empty during off times perhaps. Who knows? But I do know having better rewards in the repeatable diamond chest will help at least a little with player retention as the week goes on. This system would be very rewarding for the commanders, which I am not, and that is a good thing because they do deserve extra for the services they provide.

On a side note adding more than the 6 mystic coins we get now would be a nice change.

@Excursion.9752 said:

Rewards players who play more as well, but isn’t overtly veteran favorable.Why shouldn't veterans be favored? Most things in this game is geared toward the new player casual experience.

As a platinum soon-to-be mithril player I would love for more because of rank. However, you kind of stated it as the game is geared towards the casual experience. I think Anet is moreLikely to include something across the board rather than the ‘buff’ they gave veterans in the skirmish tracks.

I am in a 50 man zerg nearly every night on voice and the most common complaint I hear (outside of no updates) is that there is no reason to keep playing after you received your final diamond chest. From my point of view you don't need to be a veteran to get to the final diamond chest you just have to play the game mode.

Can’t argue there, but with the repeatable chest, I just see it as a potential non starter for our care bear overlords developers.

Veterans will get there quicker because of their increased pip rate based on level. This should inspire people to get their level up and the only way to do that is play and while they play they will eventually get to the final diamond chest. Then as they keep playing their journey to the final chest becomes shorter as they move up the rank ladder as well.

Rewarding the veterans will keep them playing and with them playing it wont feel as empty during off times perhaps. Who knows? But I do know having better rewards in the repeatable diamond chest will help at least a little with player retention as the week goes on. This system would be very rewarding for the commanders, which I am not, and that is a good thing because they do deserve extra for the services they provide.

On a side note adding more than the 6 mystic coins we get now would be a nice change.

Agreed. However they buff it, I am for it.