Your new servers cannot even support world bosses like Teq

@misterman.1530 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Same servers from a year ago, from 2 years ago, and more.

I guarantee that nothing is running on servers from "2 years ago". Software updates, hardware updates/changes/fixes. All these things make it certain that the servers from 2 years ago have been replaced. Especially at Amazon. Odds are there are both dedicated, physical servers and virtual servers. Not sure which ones GW2 use, but they have certainly been tweaked and modifed from what they were 2 years ago.

We don't know how much the hardware on the Amazon servers has changed over the years but the old servers before moving on to Amazon remained the same since they were purchased back in 2012.

Our hardware was purchased in 2012 and was starting to fail more often – especially the disk drives – and fixing this was simply not the best use of our time. And even without failures, we were somewhat stuck where we were – if we wanted to experiment with faster hardware, or more RAM, or faster drives, or better networking we had to order and provision it ourselves which is a huge impediment to experimentation

So for 5 years the game used the same server hardware (with probable disk replacements). Now on Amazon it might be different, but we don't know by how much, we can only speculate.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely not player related. I've been doing the post reset leyline anomaly for years, the lag there has been insane for at least a year now unless there's a daily that keeps players busy elsewhere on the map. It has transpired to Teq in the last 6 months.

My experience from last night.

Sandswept Isles (been playing there for a few days now) - totally laggy with lots of players. Everyone and I mean everyone is complaining about the lag. Press a button and wait to see the effect. It is rediculous. This is on the EU servers. I've also been in Bjora Marches - same issues.

Ok so there are probably lot of people on the map. I get that.

So I head to Hoelbrak, which is as you would expect very busy with the Dragonbash event. Judging from map chat and the amount of players I see around me it is far busier than Sandswept Isles. Lag? What lag? No slowdown whatsoever.

So I then go to Dredgehaunt Cliffs. Tons of players all doing the Stampede Event. Commander Squads land on a holographic projector I've just activated, probably 40+ players. No lag.

Lornar's Pass - massive zone, much bigger than Sandswept Isles, and dont forget all the normal npc and events are ticking away in this zone too. Again lots of players. No lag.

Every zone that had the Stampede event in it, despite having large amounts of players was lag free.

There are definitely some issues with the servers.

Worth noting : due quarantine situations across the globe, some server maintenance may have been partial. And some international cable nodes maintenance have Definitely been partial. Not everything is Anet's responsability, there are operators in between that have a lot of catch up to do, if they're even able to. I badly suffered from lag a month ago, along with other europeans. It has since improved (atleast on my end). Situations will vary until the global pandemic starts to quiet down.

@SimplyRedie.6207 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:Your exp isn't everyone's. Did you change computers- isp -move -from eu on na server etc. If every teq was as you say why aren't 200 people complaining?

This shows you haven't been near Teq or Drakkar. Chat is full of lag drama

Or it could be Im on NA and your on EU. Or I don't get lag at them and you do. I have no idea why I get no lag in WvW either but hey must be the servers.

@Jilora.9524 said:

@Jilora.9524 said:Your exp isn't everyone's. Did you change computers- isp -move -from eu on na server etc. If every teq was as you say why aren't 200 people complaining?

Or it could be Im on NA and your on EU. Or I don't get lag at them and you do. I have no idea why I get no lag in WvW either but hey must be the servers.

There has been noticeable lag in NA on PoF maps for sure. There are already threads about it in the Bugs forum. This thread is the first complaint I've seen regarding lag during Teq. Curious if the OP is in EU or NA?

@kharmin.7683 said:

There has been noticeable lag in NA on PoF maps for sure. There are already threads about it in the Bugs forum. This thread is the first complaint I've seen regarding lag during Teq. Curious if the OP is in EU or NA?

All I did was say I don't get lag and ask him for other info which he didn't give. I mean I doubt many will comment going I don't get lag or aren't making threads saying ty anet for your lag free servers so sure there's more threads about lag. I just wonder if it's more EU or some other factor to explain why I never see lag complaints in my WvW 3 server accounts all in NA but see tons of lag complaints in the WvW section

Teq-Karka-Triple Trouble-All PoF-Anomaly maps-most world bosses that have full maps have horrible skill lag. People say this on the maps daily. Sure, the occasional "hurrdurr I have 356278 fps on ma godlike pc and skill lag?What's that?" individual may be there, but people complain for the main part. I play on eu. And don't even get me started on wvw, where not even 2 full sized blobs cause such skill lag that you have time to make and drink coffee before your skill triggers

@Healix.5819 said:The servers, old and new, have always lagged during events with high concentrations of active players. Tequatl at reset (NA) in the #1 map will always lag while everyone is spamming skills for example, but outside of that, not so much. Server lag will affect the entire instance and everyone in it.

If going back to NCSoft was an option (they closed their datacenter), it'd only be worse. The problem isn't the servers themselves, it's the software side / how they're using them.

I wouldn’t say they’ve always lagged; at least not for everyone. I didn’t have these issues in PvE at all until about a year ago (and have been playing the game since near launch.

But to everyone saying it doesn’t exist, well it definitely does for a ton of people. And it’s only getting worse. Not to mention how awful it is on the LS4 maps right now even with few people on the map for seemingly no reason

I don't experience any more lag lately than I did since I started which was 2.5 year a go. Currently it seems fine, even on the new map and during Drakkar.Actually the most lag I had was during the release of Dragonstand. There was a period when I had crazy skill lag.

There is a whole lot of infrastructure between you and GW2 servers, could be there are completely other issues. It is possible that covid situation is causing more traffic on certain routes. Not everywhere the restrictions have been lifted. On my workplace and in the whole global company we are still encouraged to stay at home office and in general people have been using video conferences more lately if nothing else because now everyone has the means and knowledge how to do it and it is just easier than having live meetings.

@Cuks.8241 said:I don't experience any more lag lately than I did since I started which was 2.5 year a go. Currently it seems fine, even on the new map and during Drakkar.Actually the most lag I had was during the release of Dragonstand. There was a period when I had crazy skill lag.

There is a whole lot of infrastructure between you and GW2 servers, could be there are completely other issues. It is possible that covid situation is causing more traffic on certain routes. Not everywhere the restrictions have been lifted. On my workplace and in the whole global company we are still encouraged to stay at home office and in general people have been using video conferences more lately if nothing else because now everyone has the means and knowledge how to do it and it is just easier than having live meetings.

Drakkar is ok for me but in the burn phases for Teq for instance...it's like your buttons jus tdon't even work. The start of the fight is really annoying to...all of a sudden you're just dead but you didn't see anything happen on the screen...go back to the combat log and you were hit like 37 times without even knowing it because there was no representation of that data happening on the client.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

So... I take it you’ve never done a three way in a keep or in SMC.

In truth very few people have experienced that, save those who do it as part of their profession, but that's just staged anyways.

Wait, what were we talking about? :trollface:

Then they need to get on my level! (The third floor of SMC of course.. what ELSE might you have meant? ?)

@kharmin.7683 said:

NA

@Shiyo.3578 said:Wait, am I really being blamed for the servers being unable to handle mass amounts of people?No, sorry, I ask in map chat and everyone else is also lagging. It has NOTHING to do with my connection and the servers inability to handle the amount of people maps are capped at.

Perhaps lower the amount of players that can be in a map at once if your servers are now worse and can't handle it.

Right ... you got this all figured out ... :astonished:

Nothing here is demonstrative of 'new servers' not being able to handle it. I've done Teq no problems ... is that 'new servers' can't handle it too?

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Shiyo.3578 said:Wait, am I really being blamed for the servers being unable to handle mass amounts of people?No, sorry, I ask in map chat and everyone else is also lagging. It has NOTHING to do with my connection and the servers inability to handle the amount of people maps are capped at.

Perhaps lower the amount of players that can be in a map at once if your servers are now worse and can't handle it.

Right ... you got this all figured out ... :astonished:

Nothing here is demonstrative of 'new servers' not being able to handle it. I've done Teq no problems ... is that 'new servers' can't handle it too?Or you don't know what lag is. Plenty of those around.

I posted nightly for months that there was a frequent crash happening in EU during Teq, it was always at 06 minutes past reset. I got met with the same useless advice asking if its my PC or if its my net when we saw entire squads client crash at the same moment. These haven't happened for weeks, since the big outtage, though I suspect it is down to a change server side rather than an actual specific fix. But what I have noticed now is a more skill lag at Teq, its still mild compared to Karka, but its there. On the same night we run Karka Queen and she has always had skill lag anyway, but rarely or even never did I get it during Teq until now.

Under 40 ping, over 60 FPS, tested both DX9 and DX12, tested both AMD 2700x/1080ti and i7 8700/2070, also tested on 2 different ISP's one ethernet one wifi and also run both systems game repair just in case. I am 98% sure it is not my end, not to mention dozens in map chat confirming the same. I suspect OP is doing Teq around the same time daily as I do? Quite possible the servers back up or something around that time, as during the day I feel there is some skill lag, but not as heavy.

I don't understand why so many need to argue a problem that exists for many, and will likely get worse, while clearly not being user end doesn't exist. You really aren't helping, is it epeen sizing or something?