LAG LAG LAG - Anet please stop ignoring the community on this! - [Merged]

a few months before COVID19 it already started. I'm saying this because COVID19 made number of active players grow. But this doesn't seem to be the root cause;sever lagg used to be an issue of full WVW servers when zergs were battling, which was already a bad thing, but now;

server lagg on random pve maps at random times of day at random days... We experience massive lag on almost empty map instances in the morning.. In pvp which was never the case before. And wvw has become even worse.. Often a decent duel can't take place in evening hours....

Anet please stop ignoring the community, put this on your "Known Issues List" and let the community know what you are doing about this!

Thanks in behalf of myself and the entire community

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lag I'm seeing looks like a software bug rather than network related. It adds about 1 second to many commands before the progress bar actually begins to move while other functions continue to act normally. This started a month or so ago and never goes away, regardless of the map. I'm really getting sick of it.

The pve issues seem restricted (at least on EU servers I am on) to PoF and apparently LS4 as well.

But yes, after this number of weeks, they need to tear up their rule about not being allowed to talk to the community and start addressing the freezes and skill lag. If more info is needed, I am sure we can provide it

@Randulf.7614 said:The pve issues seem restricted (at least on EU servers I am on) to PoF and apparently LS4 as well.

But yes, after this number of weeks, they need to tear up their rule about not being allowed to talk to the community and start addressing the freezes and skill lag. If more info is needed, I am sure we can provide it

I also have it at Icebrood saga (ever since bjora marches came live), but mostly long loading to these maps and still playable unlike Thunderhead Peaks. I haven't experienced extreme skill lag and freezes on normal PoF maps. I did experience occasional skill lag last week in fractals and also on the strike of current festival. I don't know whats going on, servers, bad coding,... EU player here but this happens in NA as well. When PoF came out, as well as Lws4 I had no issues with skill lag or freezes at all no matter how many ppl were around. It started when Icebrood came out for me.

@"Xenn.1602" said:a few months before COVID19 it already started. I'm saying this because COVID19 made number of active players grow. But this doesn't seem to be the root cause;sever lagg used to be an issue of full WVW servers when zergs were battling, which was already a bad thing, but now;

server lagg on random pve maps at random times of day at random days... We experience massive lag on almost empty map instances in the morning.. In pvp which was never the case before. And wvw has become even worse.. Often a decent duel can't take place in evening hours....

Anet please stop ignoring the community, put this on your "Known Issues List" and let the community know what you are doing about this!

Well it's not that random.It's basically S4 and S5, never get any lag in hot, S3, core tyria or pof despite the fact than I farm them a lot.(dunno for WvW still not playing this mod yet)From my pov, if you've problem with other map is more a config/co/optimisation issue.

But for the 2 last season I agree, most of the time it's just unplayable even when I'm away from meta zerg.S5 is pretty new so maybe to much player, but lot of S4 map are not that popular outside specific schedule.

(Ofc I can be wrong, but that what I always encounter)

WvW always lags for me with big zerg fights, I can understand this as I work within enterprise IT services at my last job, there is no way around the technology limitation... even the cash beefed Blizzard still can't help fucking up Asmongold with his raid on Orgrimmar in WoW:C :lol:

The source of the lag can be trace down to a common cause, the amount of player skill used within an area, nothing demonstrates this more than world boss fightsGot worse and worse with every expansion thanks to the increase of sources that gives quickness and alacrity

gotta love the adrenaline rush when I see my ping spikes from mid 200 to 1000-3500 range at Teq as soon as the first group of mob spawn when the battery defend phase starts, holding tight and fingers crossed to register a few hits, and most importantly not d/c.

The only way I can think of is to mitigate this is Anet change the meta to encourage smaller zerg fights.. no down state certainly will help, because as soon as a player is dead he cant spam any more skills in the area

as for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help

gotta love the adrenaline rush when I see my ping spikes from mid 200 to 1000-3500 range at Teq as soon as the first group of mob spawn when the battery defend phase starts, holding tight and fingers crossed to register a few hits, and most importantly not d/c.

Still new to the game, nothing like trying to finish the achievements on a full Teq map. Jumping the waves it's like a mini-game for me, i have to guess when the wave will come, may be anywhere between 1s-5s or most likely, i never see it coming, it just hit me. I must look like a retarded for other players, jumping completely out of sync.

The most laggy Maps are from PoF and LS4 . Talking about LS4 Thunderhead Peaks is not playable at all right now spike's lags 500-2000 ping all time.Anet dont give a Fcare , same like WvW ("we know about wvw problem lagss lagss , we know how to fix it but we didn't do anything ") .Right now they dont care about EU serwers and players ,this is my point of view about all of this situation.................

Ok, so, I did a lot more research after my last post about the lag issue, here is what I found.

First Definitions:Game serve - the server you actually connect to in order to play the game, different maps can have different game servers, but certain game servers are shared between instanced content due to low player count per instance. When you “lose” connection to the game server you are not able to send or receive data (packets) to the game server to move your character and use skills and the like.Log-in server - also commonly called the friends list server, this server handles the transactions between game servers, including the friends list, squad and team invites, chat functionality. You can lose connection to the log-in server without losing connection to the game server or the name server. (note that for GW1 Log-in server also doubled as the name server, and when you disconnected from it you would lose connection to the game, in GW2 the Log-in server is separate)Name server - the server that acts as the authenticator allowing you in the game and coordinates how the game server delivers information in packets back to the clients. Losing connection to the Name server causes your client to disconnect from the game.

What is hapening:1) The Name server that Arenanet uses also conducts load balancing, not based purely on location or distance from the server, but instead based upon load for each map you join determined when you join it. The load balancing list is akin to different buckets for each and every game server, and as of late is rusting and pitting at the rim. In normal conditions, any overflow will cause the game server’s balancing list to “de-prioritize” packets from the game server to be “queued”. In today’s condition, it appears that the load balancing list buckets are much too small to handle each game server’s load, allowing overflows to occur regularly, and the jagged edges occasionally causing some players to seep into the same “queued” state without an overflow actually occurring.2) I heard from a personal contact who is knowledgeable in cloud and network technology, who stumbled on a reddit post that claims another (3rd) person is able to “trace” a multi-layer packet path through to the game server in Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) the cloud provider that Arenanet switched to several years ago. This 3rd person found that between the Layer 2 and Layer 3 networking for the game server to the Name server that the game server’s packets were being “dropped” and thereby “queued”.
This represents a perfect storm, one where incoming data overwhelms the game servers on intake, forcing the game servers then to ask the name server to load balance and ask which connections to de-prioritize, and for data packets to be queued for those connections. Essentially, all of the incoming data consumes the bandwidth / compute cycles that the game servers have, and do not allow the game servers to send out data packets to certain de-prioritized clients.You can see this on the impacted client via the blinking skills, other character models walking in the direction they were last walking in, and mobs doing nothing. When the game server finally catches up, you have a fast forward action going on, at 10x speed of what has happened, and what should show on your screen. If you talk to your teammates when it happens they will say you moved around and used skills, but didn’t dodge red/orange. So long as your skills were off-CD when you got de-prioritized you can use your skills including weapon skills, utility skills, elite, heal, and f-skills. You can sometimes swap weapons / legends as well, and then use those skills on the “offhand”. This is all despite having nothing happen on your impacted account's screen to indicate that you have moved or that you used a skill, the packets telling your what is happening in the game, and by extension what you are doing, is queuing up, but your action packets are being accepted by the game server. Unfortunately, unless Arenanet better coordinates with AWS to configure the game server limit and the name server list limit, less players play on a particular node / server to prevent the overflow condition, there isn't much that can be done about this issue on a permanent basis.Arenanet could adjust downward the data collection, so as to allow more bandwidth to send out data packets to clients, but still doesn't change the fact that the game servers are overwhelmed. Also, doing so may allow some parties to take advantage of not having so much data sent back to the mother-ship, so to speak, to devise ways to circumvent safeguards. The game may also stop working without the collected data, or work terribly.

Things you can do:1) Avoid playing on certain maps that are very active to avoid de-prioritization (this is not a viable solution, which is why we are complaining to ANET).2) Avoid playing certain game modes or sub-game modes that have a lot of concurrent players during prime time such as WvW, PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes (again, not a viable solution, which is why we are complaining to ANET).3) Use a VPN specifically designed for gaming. In certain cases this VPN can put you lower in the bucket so to speak, but its not 100% certain why this is the case. This has reportedly worked very well for some OCX players.4) Do the in game ping test / character select screen or restart client trick. This trick has been around for several years. On map load, have your game options open, and observe the ping for the game server to you in the lower right hand part of the window. If it's not your normal ping (if your normal ping is 100 and it is 300+) on map load then you are likely de-prioritized and will have server lag. Then use your options menu and go to character select screen, and then log back in on the same character. You may need to do this up to 3 times before confirming that you have to fully restart the client. If you restart the client twice, then the map appears to not have remaining space left for you not to be de-prioritized.

@VoxShatterfall.5470 You got right about reserch. At the end you wrote with :

1) Avoid playing on certain maps that are very active to avoid de-prioritization (this is not a viable solution, which is why we are complaining to ANET).2) Avoid playing certain game modes or sub-game modes that have a lot of concurrent players during prime time such as WvW, PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes.

I know what's going on but it's equally i can stop playing this game becouse WvW, PvP, Raids, Fractals, Strikes and events that all what i do.In the end it doesn't change the fact that Anet serwers a are in a deplorable condition - they need fix this or many Players just stop playing.

Ive got a strong feeling that anet isnt the biggest client of amazon, im sure amazon servers deal with bigger figures than gw2 player base, and probly with decent performances.You say anet should coordinate with amazon for better handling on limits, but shouldnt amazon just force them to do it in that case?Wouldnt that be amazon job to tell theres something kitten on anet config?Its been several years now they are on amazon, and everything was fine ... lets say at least before covid.Could it be that they lowered the numbers of servers? and upped the limits (per server) that way? And in that case its just lacking capacity...?If its a capacity issue you can try to change the config as you want it wont really help in the end, unless you disallow clients to connect (login queue...)

I would like to add my voice to the many. The lag has increased in frequency as well as severity. I know it's not our internet or our computers as everything else works just fine. Devs, this issue makes your game unenjoyable at times. To a point where my husband gives up and plays something else. More and more.

@"Xenn.1602" said:a few months before COVID19 it already started. I'm saying this because COVID19 made number of active players grow. But this doesn't seem to be the root cause;sever lagg used to be an issue of full WVW servers when zergs were battling, which was already a bad thing, but now;

The lag in huge wvw fights has always been there, server side, affects only skills. But the current trouble began when they switched to amazon hosted servers. And the problem isn't confined to wvw anymore, now it's on pve maps that are empty. Not once an hour, but every minute of every hour. You can see attacks not fire, the auto attacks speed up and slow down (or even stop).

Try to determine what kind of lag you get:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230665187-How-to-Address-Lag

1. Network lag / high PING / packet loss / server lag:

If you experience (network based) lag, please look at the following troubleshooter:https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862998-Troubleshooting-Connectivity-IssuesThis allows you to determine if the lag is caused on your own network, with your ISP or at the ArenaNet server.It can also help to test if the lag goes away when you use a wired network connection instead of WiFi.When you post here, make sure to mention your ping times, location and ISP and if you play on EU or NA servers.Most players have a good connection to the ArenaNet servers. For example. My ping is between 30 and 50. Connecting from ZeelandNet.nl ISP to ArenaNet EU servers. If many players post connection issues with certain locations or ISP, it may help to find sub-optimal routing problems between certain ISPs and the ANet servers.

2. Low FPS / stuttering / display lag / rendering lag:

The issue is on your local computer. You can address the lag by optimizing your graphics / rendering settings.https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/231263748Guild Wars 2 is known to be laggy in some circumstances where many players are engaging together. For example during world boss battles and large WvW battles. This can be addressed by lowering the settings Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality.

@Ubi.4136 said:

The lag in huge wvw fights has always been there, server side, affects only skills. But the current trouble began when they switched to amazon hosted servers. And the problem isn't confined to wvw anymore, now it's on pve maps that are empty. Not once an hour, but every minute of every hour. You can see attacks not fire, the auto attacks speed up and slow down (or even stop).

Just wondering...if the current trouble began when ArenaNet switched to the Amazon hosted servers, why have the laments only started in the last few months? Been on AWS since Path of Fire release. Why weren't the forums on fire at PoF's release, when there were surely lots of players in the maps?

I guess this person though they switched to amazon like 3 weeks/months ago, but its nearly 3 years now.Also if a map is empty... how do you know its lagging? you cannot tell how many players are in a map anyway, theres no indicator. You can figure if its full, sure, but you cannot figure the exact numbers.