[Icebrood Saga Theory] Charr will face Anihilation

Lametoile.7394

Guessing the next step of a story can be hard.The main point of uncertainty evolve about Jormag's actual plan. It seems that he now lloks beyond pure destruction, and that everything happening right now serves his purpose, just in a way we don't yet understand.Also the influence Aurene could have and how Jormag's death would affect the world.So I tried to thought about this this way:(I won't go about details, just great lines and moments)

What do people expect?

• Bangar getting killed/corrupted by Jormag, after being totally lured
  • McGuffin Chase and knowledge deep dive
  • We killing the big bad Ice Elder Dragon after some grandilocquent speech against his temptation
  • Ryland having some kind of redemption
  • Crea taking command of remaining Blood Legion and everything going well

Why it doesn't work

• Well...first because that's what everybody expect and there isn't anything original in this
  • Charr started a Civil War because of their will to dominate. That resentment can't disappear in the blink of an eye
  • Jormag's death will pose a major issue for the balance of magic in the world

Some thoughts about Jormag:What is Jormag? We use the term Elder Dragons, but they are more a force of nature than actual beasts. What if their dragon form wasn't what they are, but rather the form this form choose to adopt? The only proof we have of Jormag even being a dragon is a tooth brought by a norn who was seduced by him.What if Jormag was just...ice? A storm of ice? A ice that blow in the air, froze everything it touches, corrupt living creatures and live within them. What if the dragon of ice was just a pure construction of that storm that just temporarly shelter his mind. Then fighting Jormag would be like fighting a blizzard: as long as he has something to froze, that ice carry his life, and it can be killed. Except maybe if you bring the purest of heat to his heart (hence his weakness to Primordius. Which himself appears more as a creation of obsidan and lava than a dragon).

Unresolved mysteries

• Who is this "Mother" Kralkatorrik mentionned before passing?
  • How do the Elder dragons came to be?
  • What conditions are required for them to be replaced?(We don't have clues on these, so I won't touch it for the moment)

My thoughts on things that could happen:

• United Legions will go confront Bangar and Frost Legion. However, partly because of the ennemy strength, partly because of deception, partly because of intern disagreements, Smodur will ended up killed and the Claw of Khan-Ur will fall to the end of Dominion. Ryland will play a significant part in this, and will have a serious confrontation with both his parents, with possibly one of them being badly injured, and sohotin stolen as well.(end of Episode 4)(We may have another Memories chapter that would give context to following events)
  • Following that catastrophe, support to the Dominion among charrs will increase dramatically, and Anger and fear will skyrocket among humans, pressing Queen Jennah to eradicate charr while they are weakened by their civil war.
  • Despite our attemps with the help of Norns, Bangar will reach Jormag, try to destroy and claim his power...and succeed. Definitely succeed. Except Jormag wasn't the dragon. And now Jormag as a blizzard will be born again, not as a creature, but as the collective super-entity of half a race taken by his corruption. One Charr. And New evolved Bangar at their head, proudly claiming the title of Eternal Khan-Ur.(end of Episode 5)
  • Blizzard would spread on northern Tyria and take everything. Jormag would incarnate an army more powerful than anything Tyria will ever had. Aurene would be powerless, cause she can rule magic, but Jormag now rule matter and flesh. And so the dragon will come to us with a choice we can't refuse. "Stand against me...and you stand alone".
  • Meanwhile, still non-affected charr will retreat south and gather behind Malice and Crecia. However, humanity will break treaty and lauch massive invasion from EbonHawke in order to stop the advance of Dominion, and United Legion as well if necessary. As we desperately try to prevent a massacre between the two races and find a solution before Jormag/Bangar arrived, we'll encounter escaping Ryland as he work on a way to defeat the dragon. He manages to rally Commander Samuelsson with a newly reforged Magader, Braham and other Norn Champions (giving back his bow along the way), persuading them and us to take part in a drastic plan
  • As Blizzard engulf Ascalon where United Legions and Human Armies seemingly doesn't stand a chance, we'll releash the ultimate weapon Jormag didn't expect: using Magader, Sohotin and royal blood to amplify foefire and take control over the ghosts of Ascalon, bound to fight one last time before going free. Watching that armies of ice charr conquerring their lands once more, they confont them in all their burning fury, ignoring freezing. While we and Aurene still struggle with doubts about what to do with Jormag, a course of events lead Ryland and Braham to face him, in the core of the storm. The combined powers of the fiery blades, Eir's bow, and foefire (and possibly back-up from flame legion) lead to the destruction of Bangar and Jormag's death. But what would have been a victory turns to nightmare, as both Braham and Ryland die, Blizzard endures, and frost legion vanish, meaning two thir of the Charr race is now gone. As Almorra stated, Bangar was the end of the charr.(End of Episode 6)
  • Epilogue: as United Legions and humanity prepare for battle, we make one last attempt to bring peace between them and are close to succeed...until a cataclysm of seisms and fire destroy the place (being Divinity Reach, somewhere in Ascalon or another place). We go inconscious for a time and only reach Ascalon to witness a blooshed between humans and charrs. Only the rise of destroyers in various place of Tyria ends the fact but the seeds of war are now sowed. With the only being able to doom him gone, Primordius unleash confidently his wrath upon the world, and magic start to go really unstable everywhere, despite the efforts of the Spirit of the Wild to stabilize the magic released by Jormag in the Blizzard. A blizzard that still cover the previous charr territories, probably for decades.With the end of the world all but near, we gather one last time in the Grove where the Pale Tree and Aurene await for us. The Pale Tree is taught by Aurene to assume the place of one missing Elder Dragons. Then they use their divination powers to show us the last task we can still complete to prevent the end of Tyria. We must go to Cantha and try to uncover any knowledge and creature that could bring balance to magic, since there is nothing left on Tyria. As the vision blur, we suddenly feel that something is looking at us as well: a powerful presence in the ocean that feel the move of Primordius and has plan of his owns...And so we're on our way to Cantha, leaving behind Tyria where Charr has doomed themselves in their pursuit of war, where Norn has lost themselves in their pursuit of Glory, only carrying with us the Memory of two of their best, Ryland and Braham, so that their devotion can inspire us. Before it's too late and world collapse.

Yeah, no. Anet isn't just going to "nuke" Tyria. that isn't how it works. They need the maps that already exist to remain as they are for new players, and people who need to go back to them for achievements/collections.

Following that catastrophe, support to the Dominion among charrs will increase dramatically,The Dominion doesn't exist anymore following Episode 3. The United Legions killed all of Bangar's "normal" followers, and took all the territory they held. The only forces under Bangar left now are the Frost Legion, and, if anything, once word gets out Bangar is turning his followers into Icebrood, support for his cause will DROP like a rock.

@Lametoile.7394 said:

I know it's too big. It's just my own delirium for fun.

It certainly was fun to read/think about! I agree that the overall scale is too big to ever happen in LW, but I definitely think you're onto something when it comes to Jormag not being just a big bad dragon. We've been told repeatedly that elder dragons are less like actual creatures and more like forces of nature/just part of the world and how it works. Jormag might offer the devs their first opportunity to really execute on that thought. It would make a lot of sense for Jormag to be an ice storm that draws influence, life, and power by freezing things, and it's 'dragon' form could be something the storm put together to represent itself physically, or just deceive people (like Bangar and Aesgir) who are interested in confronting Jormag directly.

I expect Bengar trying to capture Jormag but Jormag will deny him, however as Jormag said in one cinematic, he still dreams and he want to help Aurene, something is bad on horizon and that is nothing else than Primordius(fire dragon). Guess what melts the ice, exactly fire. So Jormag may sacrifice himself to help us stoping Bengar but also Primordius, it sounds crazy but we will see hehe.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

I know it's too big. It's just my own delirium for fun.

It certainly was fun to read/think about! I agree that the overall scale is too big to ever happen in LW, but I definitely think you're onto something when it comes to Jormag not being just a big bad dragon. We've been told repeatedly that elder dragons are less like actual creatures and more like forces of nature/just part of the world and how it works. Jormag might offer the devs their first opportunity to really execute on that thought. It would make a lot of sense for Jormag to be an ice storm that draws influence, life, and power by freezing things, and it's 'dragon' form could be something the storm put together to represent itself physically, or just deceive people (like Bangar and Aesgir) who are interested in confronting Jormag directly.

If they actually were forces of nature, they wouldn't need to talk at all. They would simply do what they do, because it is what they do. No need to explain to puny mortals any reasons, because there is no reason other than it's what they do. Of course, we are long past that, especially Kralkatorrik embarassing itself by crying for its mama.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

If they actually were forces of nature, they wouldn't need to talk at all. They would simply do what they do, because it is what they do. No need to explain to puny mortals any reasons, because there is no reason other than it's what they do.

To be fair, that's essentially what happened with Mordy and Zhaitan, and perhaps to a lesser extent with Kralk (who didn't really do much talking to us at all until the very end). Mordy and Zhaitan both had minion mouthpieces to talk to us, but I don't ever recall any real desire for justification. Just disdain at our weakness, anger at our refusal to stop interfering, and insistence on their superiority.

Of course, we are long past that, especially Kralkatorrik embarassing itself by crying for its mama.

Yeah. As much I want it to be otherwise, I have to agree with you here. They're really taken the personification of dragons too far to back off at this point. Too bad, I really did like the storm idea for Jormag.