Why Thief roaming players. Give people a bad impression. Is it caused by infinite stealth stacking?

Flee.5602

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"Strider.7849" said:I think what bothers people the most is stealth disengage and re-engage.

Yesterday at reset I was playing my berserker in WvW (I main ranger, just felt like playing something different lately) and my gf and I were trying to do our daily within a few minutes before I had to leave for work.

Had a rifle condition based deadeye follow us all over the map plucking away at us, downing her frequently. I'm the more PvP oriented player of the two of us, however if I managed to land a stun and/or attack, he'd shadow step away and enter stealth. Then re-engage after resetting the fight and keep plucking away again. It was annoying/obnoxious to have to deal with, not to mention even though I had a decent amount of cleanse and resistance, the cooldowns were too long considering after using a cleanse when needed if I hit him, he'd just reset the fight but my cleanse would still be on cooldown. The spam immobilize made it even worse.

We got our daily done and eventually managed to break combat from the condi thief but it was literally us going down after down and down, while stealth/conditions and high disengage/engage allowed him to harass and try to kill endlessly. I'm not saying it was OP, but it was a very unskilled tactic combining some of the most unfun things to fight in this game.

and this is why thief either needs to get nerfed into the ground or stealth being removed from the game.

Thankfully, you are not a developer cause many people paid good money for access to classes with stealth. For 5 years on this board all I have ever seen you post about is how you hate stealth. But your kind of complaints has already essentially killed Mesmer outside of PvE so you gonna help me get my refunds?

That said:

I have long said that
to be used for
scouting
and
starting an attack
only. Once that thief or Mesmer is in the fight, they should either have to finish it or get far enough away to re-engage stealth that an easy follow up attack is not viable. I can think of only 2 skills where exceptions should be made,
and
and only because the entire point of those 2 skills are combat repositioning, are slow, require hits and have drawbacks, as well as a high cooldown (for weapon skills).

And it looking like 'predator cloak' to enemies when you are too close (200-250 units,
maybe
300) would also help. Yeah, it would break targeting, but not invalidate all cleave and AoE skill use.

Stealth should be SNEAKY, not a mid-melee attack skill.

It was a big disappointment when I discovered that thieves can remain permanently stealthed outside combat, while being detected by foes in close proximity.
I would rather have ESO stealth system
and replace GW2 Thief invisibility by a 1s-1.5s blur (1.5s-2s traited)

You'd need to add indicators like stealth currently has or that perma out of combat stealth would be brutal, it's not so much stealth as it is complacency that kills people, anyone alert would miss not being able to see or hear stealth signs. Thief up close cares about the Stealth Attack, not so much the stealth so the 'blur' instead of stealth would be fine although not sure why that would need to change.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any argument made by thief mains would make more sense, their requests for more infighting ability would hold a point but as it stands now...any buff request from thieves will be always met with fierce opposition from the community and for good reason.

A sneak attacks that deals huge dmg almost killing the target makes absolutely sense what doesn't make sense is a sneak attack that can be repeated over and over again till it lands ,no consequences for failure other than minor inconvenience.

You managed to avoid a "backstab" ..great but...the thief still stealthed and will simply try again or he gets revealed and he will simply try again or whatever..he is still trying again and again till he succeed ; you avoid a "death judgement"..so?..the DE will try again and again.

In a a balanced game, once the element of surprise is lost...it's lost and cannot be regained unless a quick retreat unfold soon after

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Any argument made by thief mains would make more sense, their requests for more infighting ability would hold a point but as it stands now...any buff request from thieves will be always met with fierce opposition from the community and for good reason.

A sneak attacks that deals huge dmg almost killing the target makes absolutely sense what doesn't make sense is a sneak attack that can be repeated over and over again till it lands ,no consequences for failure other than minor inconvenience.

You managed to avoid a "backstab" ..great but...the thief still stealthed and will simply try again or he gets revealed and he will simply try again or whatever..he is still trying again and again till he succeed ; you avoid a "death judgement"..so?..the DE will try again and again.

In a a balanced game, once the element of surprise is lost...it's lost and cannot be regained unless a quick retreat unfold soon after

Any argument by non thief mains about stealth and stealth attacks would make more sense if they didn't make shit up. Take a thief out there and miss a backstab, which will happen, and just hang out trying to land it again over and over. Also, avoiding Death's Judgment is about as easy as breathing, unless your a mouth breather passing out at your keyboard. There's some issue with being able to chain stealth sources together in structures and stuff but what you're describing boils down to you being lazy.