Should GW2 come out for PS5 or XBox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the new consoles get a mouse and keyboard?

Frankly I don't think you get enough buttons. And being able to look around, even if do-able; sounds like a chore.

People may be able to get it to work, but I don't think it's a very user friendly experience that would appeal to the console market.

So the question is then, who is it for? If it's to give already invested players another avenue to login, I highly doubt a-net would want to expend their resources that way. At least not anytime soon.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Both are inferior to the power of a pc.

Using steam hardware survey as a basis, PS5 and XSX are both more powerful than 92% of PCs out there.~8% of steam users have an 8-core CPU or above, the new consoles have an 8-core CPU~8% of steam users have a GPU comparable, or more powerful, than those on the new consoles

Consoles are indeed inferior to PC, but that depends on the age of that PC, most PC players are still running potatoes. Fall 2020 is gonna be very interesting hardware-wise.

Still I don't think GW2 would run very well on the new consoles, since it requires so much single core performance. That said, GW2 runs very well on NVIDIA GeForce NOW (Arenanet did opt-in in that), so it could also run on Microsoft's XCLOUD (depending on how its pricing work)

I'm not against them releasing the game on consoles, but I don't think it's likely to happen. I would be completely against certain content being exclusive to one version of the game though. If they were going to bring back Season 1 or add new lore or whatever it should be for all versions of the game. Otherwise it's just setting up for a highly confusing situation where different people think they're playing the same game but over time it gets more and more different because different releases on different systems have added or changed things and it no longer lines up.

There is sort-of a bit of that already in that some people won't own both expansions or all the living world episodes but at least there's a clear linear progression there if you want it. If different systems had different versions of the lore or story it could quickly end up in a mess.

Haha. Nope. A game named crash bandicoot who made my childhood is continuing that october. That thing hype me way far more than GW2. Sonic, Crash, Ratchet and clank... all of those games I spent so much times on on Playstation. What I'm fine with, is Gw2 as one of my main PC game with Plague.inc. But will never beat well known console franchises.

Some people already play GW2 with a controller, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how exactly the button mapping works.

The PS4 controller has 8 buttons on top, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks which can also be pressed down, a dedicated options button for menus and a touch pad which can function as at least 1 extra button. (Plus dedicated share and home buttons but I'm not counting them because as far as I know they can't be re-bound to other functions.)

So that's at least 15 buttons and 2 analogue sticks, which I imagine would be for moving the character and camera. (I don't have an Xbox One controller, but the Xbox 360 and Switch controllers have 16 buttons and 2 analogue sticks each, so I assume the Xbox One is similar and the PS5 and new Xbox will be comparable too.)

My 'combat cluster' on the keyboard uses 20 buttons (10 skills, 5 profession skills, special action, weapon swap, take target, dodge and jump), plus 4 to move the character and the mouse to move the camera/target skills, and you'd need 1 to switch to menus (likely the options button). So I assume using a controller means using modifiers (like shift+1, shift+2 etc.) but it's pretty easy to do that since controllers are designed to allow you to press multiple buttons at once, and of course the game already supports mapping a skill to a button+modifier.

Of course that doesn't cover absolutely everything (e.g. there's no mount bindings, or shortcuts for different menus) but I imagine that could be handled by having different sets of keybindings depending on the situation - like the context sensitive F key.

Been discussed many times and there are just far too many cons and almost no pros to doing a console release.

It would just end up screwing over the PC version, longer waits between releases etc so no.. I'm 100% against consoles getting Gw2 while the game is still developing new content.After all expansions and living world is done and in the game.. sure won't matter then and might even benefit the game and increase it's lifespan but until Gw2 is done a console version would be nothing but a ball and chain to the PC version.

No. I think GW2 is a great game but it also has a lot of systems in play in regards to skills and UI. It would be taxing on the player to navigate them all. You would have to simplify it and redesign it from the ground up.

If you want a good example as to why MMO's can be too overwhelming on a console look at Neverwinter. That game is so overwhelming on console compared to PC.

@Decklan.7540 said:No. I think GW2 is a great game but it also has a lot of systems in play in regards to skills and UI. It would be taxing on the player to navigate them all. You would have to simplify it and redesign it from the ground up.

If you want a good example as to why MMO's can be too overwhelming on a console look at Neverwinter. That game is so overwhelming on console compared to PC.

I disagree FFXIV is a much more complex game with super long rotations for any class. Yet it works just as fine on PS4. this can too.

Having to send every patch to MS or Sony to be validated before it can be sent to consoles is a killer for ANET and has a massive lag delay for approval to release. We like to see the content regularly and prompt bug-fixs, if we accommodated consoles - this could not happen.

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:The only benefit that would likely come out of this is a new physical box for GW2 for collectors.Final fantasy made it work on console so it's not possible, but I really don't think gw2 would work without a keyboard and mouse.

It can easily, and already does.. in fact an ANet employee has been working on controller* support in her free time, though who knows if that was scrapped like many other things because this company only communicates once every summer solstice if we're lucky.

If ESO can do it which is even more fast paced than GW2 then GW2 can do it easily. ESO has unlimited weapon swap without CD, 12 abilities, potion button and evade with block as well as stun break and interrupt so its extremely similar to the amount we have.

FF14 is a different beast because its static tab target combat and a lot slower, great game, but cannot really be compared to an action game like these. In 14 you can bind your controller L/R buttons to access different 'tabs' of your action bar because you have 30 abilities or such.. not really relevant but interesting that even an MMO with 40 buttons would technically be possible on console.

More difficult than kb/mouse? Absolutely, but playable. I know many friends in ESO who play surprisingly well on controller but they've had years of practice.. I can't do it , I'm total garbage on controller because every bind needs a modifier and isn't as fast. I wouldn't be playing tournaments or raids with it, but it could be great for casual play.

@Danikat.8537 said:Some people already play GW2 with a controller, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how exactly the button mapping works.

The PS4 controller has 8 buttons on top, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks which can also be pressed down, a dedicated options button for menus and a touch pad which can function as at least 1 extra button. (Plus dedicated share and home buttons but I'm not counting them because as far as I know they can't be re-bound to other functions.)

So that's at least 15 buttons and 2 analogue sticks, which I imagine would be for moving the character and camera. (I don't have an Xbox One controller, but the Xbox 360 and Switch controllers have 16 buttons and 2 analogue sticks each, so I assume the Xbox One is similar and the PS5 and new Xbox will be comparable too.)

My 'combat cluster' on the keyboard uses 20 buttons (10 skills, 5 profession skills, special action, weapon swap, take target, dodge and jump), plus 4 to move the character and the mouse to move the camera/target skills, and you'd need 1 to switch to menus (likely the options button). So I assume using a controller means using modifiers (like shift+1, shift+2 etc.) but it's pretty easy to do that since controllers are designed to allow you to press multiple buttons at once, and of course the game already supports mapping a skill to a button+modifier.

Of course that doesn't cover absolutely everything (e.g. there's no mount bindings, or shortcuts for different menus) but I imagine that could be handled by having different sets of keybindings depending on the situation - like the context sensitive F key.

As far as Controllers go, don't think them as button to button when comparing them to a keyboard. Most Console Games use button and trigger combinations, along with button taps or holds, so you could actually link each button with each keyboard key.

--- Keys Playstation--- Keyboard

1) R2 --- #1 (Weapon Skill 1)2) Button 1‐-- # 2 (Weapon Skill 2)3) Button 2--- # 3 (Weapon Skill 3)4) Button 3--- # 4 (Weapon Skill 4)5) Button 4--- Space bar (Jump)6) L1 + 1 --- # 5 (Weapon Skill 5)7) L1 + 2 --- # 6 (Utility Skill 1)8) L1 + 3 --- # 7 (Utility Skill 2)9) L1 + 4 --- (Dodge)10) R1 + 1 --- # 8 (Utility Skill 3)11) R1 + 2 --- # 9 (Utility Skill 4)12) R1 + 3 --- # 10 (Utility Skill 5)13) R1 + 4 --- (Finish/ Revive)14) L2 +1 --- F1 (Prof. Skill 1)15) L2 +2--- F2 (Prof. Skill 2)16) L2+ 3 --- F3 (Prof. Skill 3)17) L2 + 4--- F4 (Prof. Skill 4)18) L2 + R2--- F5 (Prof. Skill 5)19) Dir 1--- Weapon Swap20) Dir 2 --- Items21) Dir 3 --- Emotes/ Communicate22) Dir 4 --- Change Camera Angle23) R3 --- Move24) L3 --- Camera/Press to target25) Option (Main Menu)26) Touchpad --- Tap for Map/ Hold for Mount Options

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Some people already play GW2 with a controller, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how exactly the button mapping works.

As far as Controllers go, don't think them as button to button when comparing them to a keyboard. Most Console Games use button and trigger combinations, along with button taps or holds, so you could actually link each button with each keyboard key.

1) R2 --- #1 (Weapon Skill 1)2) Button 1‐-- # 2 (Weapon Skill 2)3) Button 2--- # 3 (Weapon Skill 3)4) Button 3--- # 4 (Weapon Skill 4)5) Button 4--- Space bar (Jump)6) L1 + 1 --- # 5 (Weapon Skill 5)7) L1 + 2 --- # 6 (Utility Skill 1)8) L1 + 3 --- # 7 (Utility Skill 2)9) L1 + 4 --- (Dodge)10) R1 + 1 --- # 8 (Utility Skill 3)11) R1 + 2 --- # 9 (Utility Skill 4)12) R1 + 3 --- # 10 (Utility Skill 5)13) R1 + 4 --- (Finish/ Revive)14) L2 +1 --- F1 (Prof. Skill 1)15) L2 +2--- F2 (Prof. Skill 2)16) L2+ 3 --- F3 (Prof. Skill 3)17) L2 + 4--- F4 (Prof. Skill 4)18) L2 + R2--- F5 (Prof. Skill 5)19) Dir 1--- Weapon Swap20) Dir 2 --- Items21) Dir 3 --- Emotes/ Communicate22) Dir 4 --- Change Camera Angle23) R3 --- Move24) L3 --- Camera/Press to target25) Option (Main Menu)26) Touchpad --- Tap for Map/ Hold for Mount Options

great, main issue solved, the game can now ship on consoles tomorrow...

@Algreg.3629 said:

great, main issue solved, the game can now ship on consoles tomorrow...

Right!