How would you rate guild wars 2 ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of things I don't like about Anet's management of the game, especially with their communication regarding future content and the funneling of resources into 30 minute story content which is basically spoiled by the trailer, and new maps I never have to see again.

But, if you take the game at face value, I would recommend it. The exploration is great, the story ranges from good to passable, the community is excellent - though I would put a heavy emphasis on the fact that the "play as you like" bait is a bit of a lie.

@"Westenev.5289" said:There is a lot of things I don't like about Anet's management of the game, especially with their communication regarding future content and the funneling of resources into 30 minute story content which is basically spoiled by the trailer, and new maps I never have to see again.

But, if you take the game at face value, I would recommend it. The exploration is great, the story ranges from good to passable, the community is excellent - though I would put a heavy emphasis on the fact that the "play as you like" bait is a bit of a lie.

I agree about the lack of communication. I feel it’s that way now because the community always attacks them so as a result they stay silent .

I firmly believe that Tyria is so huge & beautiful & even though I enjoy having more maps I also think it’s not a bad idea if we are able to revisit old maps with side story’s & or maybe even base living story on that. The way they did with Scarlett. We didn’t get many new maps, mostly revisited a familiar map with some changes to it . Hearts aren’t real “quests” either in my opinion.

The community is okay for the most part. It’s better then other games that’s for sure. Yeah once they introduced raids it felt like it’s no longer “play as you like”.

It's a very good game when it come to leveling experience. An "OK" game after the leveling experience. Can become frustrating when you invest yourself a bit into the game.Based on what the person expect from a game I'd recomend it or not. All in all, I wouldn't recomend it for people with high expectations on end game content (PvP or PvE).

Combat: 6/10It's decent. Not amazing, but decent. I've played MMO's with better combat. But I've also played LOTS of MMO's with far worse combat.

Story: 4/10It's not great. It's okay at best. But there are some lame parts to it.

Crafting: 1/10Like many other MMO's crafting is lame af. It's not interesting to level and it doesn't really make interesting things and the things that are worth making, are often not worth the effort it would take to craft them (I.e. Ascended gear, which is easily obtained in WvW/Fractals. Food/Utilities which oversaturation has made TP prices pretty managable). It's basically just an extra time/resource sink for Legendary crafting.

Build Diversity: 3/10For the most part, there are 4 main gear types. Berserker, Marauder, Viper, Grieving. That is generally what you will be wearing for 99.99% of your gameplay. With the lack of real "Tank" and "Healer" roles a lot of gameplay will not deviate from this. The exceptions of course are in PvP where Bunker builds exist (While Viper does not) and in Raids where healer builds exist that use alternate stats.

There's at least some customization though, which is a plus. But not a lot of depth in real situations and it often just boils down to "Git gud" and then use Zerker/Viper.

Maps: 8/10Playable areas are pretty good. They're large enough where their instanced nature doesn't feel restrictive, but still small enough that you can traverse them in a decent time and find cool things frequently.

Map Completion is a thing that exists, which is always kind of cool to see (Not quite as in depth or rewarding as in Astellia Online though, but still is something)

Events are suitably diverse. They're not all "Kill 10 Boars" ad infinitum like typical Quests from MMO's can be. With world bosses being suitably epic in proportion (Though hindered slightly by lack of population caps on zone instances making them predominantly zerg-fests. Which is probably why a general Triwurm attempt will fail horribly as it actually requires tactics)

Instanced Content: 2/10It exists. Barely. Dungeons are forgotten. Fractals are zerg fests. Raids are forgotten. Strikes are ehh...

What exists doesn't even defy the horrible design failures of modern MMO's and are still just hallway simulators/boss arenas. (Even with multiple "Paths" for dungeons, that's still just pick a hallway)

Player versus Player: 1/10There are 2 modes to PvP in the game. Conquest and WvW.

Neither is notably well balanced. Neither seems to be a primary focus of the game. Neither provides anything that another, dedicated PvP game cannot do better (Such as playing MOBA's like LoL/Dota/CS:GO/Valorant, Battle Royales like Fortnite/PUBG/Apex or other competitive multiplayer games like CoD, GTAV, Tarkov, DBD, SFV etc)

Monetization: 7/10It's F2P/B2P. That is good for new players, since they can get a full experience without having to sink in tons of hours in their first month of playing trying to figure out if they like it. As well as it promotes more casual playing as you can take time away without having to faff about setting up and cancelling your sub.

Cash store mostly focuses on cosmetics, which is nice for not being P2W. It does however gate a lot of QoL things behind the cash store which is unfortunate (Inventory slots, bank tabs, material storage expansion, unbreakable gathering tools (Which, while crafting can be skipped and thus reduce the need for gathering, many LW maps have currencies obtained through harvesting thus making tools more important), build & equipment template slots etc)

One of the major drawbacks, is the way LW is monetized, with the requirement to pay for past LW content if you were not there to log in. Meaning that new players either fork out a bunch of gems to get LW2/LW3/LW4/IBS or they have to end up skipping a bunch of content and story when they naturally progress to level 80, finish their PS and then move onto HoT & PoF & the newest IBS episode. While the story isn't amazing, the paywall on getting a decent understanding of wtf is going on makes it far worse for newer players.

Character Customization: 3/10

The races are quite diverse and stray from the standard fair of Human, Human with pointy ears Elf, Human with different colour skin, Big Human, token smol race.

With their line up of Human, Big Human, Asura, Plant Human, Charr. Admittedly, there could be more diversity, such as showing Norn as something more than Big Human in 99% of cases as well as more exotic designs for Sylvari. But it's still a pretty good selection.

Customization of individual characters, is dated. Picking from preset faces, hairstyles, accessories and colours is old news. With more modern MMO's providing full customization of characters allowing complete freedom.

Fashion Souls: 3/10Collected skins are saved to your account upon acquisition, which is nice as it saves space which not all current MMO's utilize (FFXIV).

However, there's a lot of limitations. Such as the awkwardness that is the 3 weight classes that can't be combined due to different frames. Much of the stuff that actually looks nice (And not like you were gifted it from a hobo who had been using it to sweep the road with) is stuck in the cash shop and further yet, there's a lot of focus on "Outfits" which have very little customization (Toggle helmet on/off and dye channels... That's your lot)

As for dyes, you're limited to what "Channels" have been put onto a particular piece of equipment (Or outfit) which limits what you can do with them. With weapons not being dyable at all (Also, many back items cannot be dyed either). There's also the annoyance which is certain materials arbitrarily not taking certain dyes well and coming out with a different colour.

Overall score: 38/100

D-

It's okay.The recommendation comes off the back of the low monetary investment needed to play the game vs the amount of time it's possible to spend doing content.It provides bang for the buck, because you don't need to pay the bucks outside of grabbing the expansions.

I voted the first option, as my overal rating, but honestly this game is basically divided into 3 different games, because its 3 game modes (PvE, sPvP, WvW) are played in different map instances where none of them can interfere in any way with the other 2 (=thus it basically means GW2 = 3 different games, unlike other MMOs, where actually PvP is played in the same map zone as its PvE aspect). Since this important fact, I will rate it as 3 different games.

Note: I play GW2 right from the 3-day headstart when GW2 was launched, so I rate the entire game and its entire progress. (played GW1 too btw, if that does matter)

PvE: Easy to get in the system, easy to play, somewhat difficult to master (as it should be at least somewhat difficult tbh). For a pure PvE casual farmer player, I would rate GW2 as instant 10/10, really a shining brilliant on the MMO-games market, gem of the 2010-2020 decade. Constantly evolving story, regularly added new content, sometimes with new game mechanics just to name a few examples. As I said, for an average pure-PvE player, instant 10/10, top quality MMO in the entire decade. (yyeah, I know GW2 released 2013, not exactly 2010 , but I dont care about this argument). Special note to some players: interchangeable armors / weapons graphic skins, retained gear numbers, different visuals - a paradise for wardrobe collectors.

sPvP: cannot say a thing, tried twice, never entered again anymore. Didnt enjoyed, this gameplay do not suit my gameplay style. I cannot rate this.

WvW: its starting to be difficult here. At launch, probably 8/10. especially the Supply repairing / building / upgrading game mechanics was inovative and great. Nowaday, probably 1/10, dying game mode if not empty ghost town already, because ArenaNet's toxic attitude to WvW playerbase and basically the entire WvW game mode. (I consider ignorance and non-communication as toxic attitude) Wanna at least one example? "alliances" - enough said, but there are dozens of another examples.

Overall rating: Very good game (especially its truly excellent PvE aspect), with very poor game studio attitude towards their playerbase.For new PvE ppl - I absolutely recomendFor new sPvP ppl - I cannot rateFor new WvW ppl - I do not recomend, stay away

@GummyBearSummoner.7941 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:There is a lot of things I don't like about Anet's management of the game, especially with their communication regarding future content and the funneling of resources into 30 minute story content which is basically spoiled by the trailer, and new maps I never have to see again.

I agree about the lack of communication. I feel it’s that way now because the community always attacks them so as a result they stay silent .

I firmly believe that Tyria is so huge & beautiful & even though I enjoy having more maps I also think it’s not a bad idea if we are able to revisit old maps with side story’s & or maybe even base living story on that. The way they did with Scarlett. We didn’t get many new maps, mostly revisited a familiar map with some changes to it . Hearts aren’t real “quests” either in my opinion.

The community is okay for the most part. It’s better then other games that’s for sure. Yeah once they introduced raids it felt like it’s no longer “play as you like”.

Ahh, the good ol' " this community is better than other communities" that every single community claims, Heh!

GW2 is a great game for many reasons, but it's also a game that made some big decisions that just didn't work. The decision to go non-trinity is the biggest offender, as it completely ruins organized group PvE, in my opinion. I think the fact that they had to contrive lame pseudo versions of tanks and healers for raids says it all.

The game is also very poorly managed. There seems to be no direction or consistency to their leadership to the point where players have no faith in this company to deliver on any of the promises they make.

On the other hand, the combat is excellent, systems like mounts and gliding are absolutely amazing and the map and class design, while inconsistent, can often surprise you with its brilliance.

The game also has plenty of personality, despite a story that is often pretty lame. Somehow I end up following the characters and enjoying that aspect of the game anyway.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:GW2 is a great game for many reasons, but it's also a game that made some big decisions that just didn't work. The decision to go non-trinity is the biggest offender, as it completely ruins organized group PvE, in my opinion. I think the fact that they had to contrive lame pseudo versions of tanks and healers for raids says it all.

Some might argue that implementing raids was a decision that didn't work. Perhaps if they hadn't done raids, there would not have been a need for lame pseudo tanks/healers and they could have produced something more in line with the original intent of the game? But, they've already let that charr out of the bag.

Let's go.

Maps: 13/20 Core, HoT and PoF maps are cool imho. But very disapointed by many of LS maps.Feeling rushed, non finished, no soul or substance, and the story tied to them is bad in many cases.Through, lazarus act and the plague were nice.

Story: 3/20. Just have enough of stupid plot twists like killing villains too soon. Joko , Gaheron and Kudu could had each easily two episodes. Seeing how the dragon are dealt with, it's even more disapointing. Plus the cliche like boom aurene ded boom resurect or killing randomly characters like game of throne . The steel warband was promising. I'm sorry, but there are ton of possibilities and each time they go with the worst choice. Quaggan poo level. 3, for the effort of the very nice zhaithan build up, and the ls1 events.Rata novus is rushed and well dunno what to think about balthazar.

Ambiance: 14/20 many places are living, even main cities well apart the empty rata sum. Old la have been removed too whereas it was the masterpiece of corsairs sceneries. -3 pts. Only the core maps are really living with easter eggs. The expansions do a great job too but with their quests / events.

Play how you want: 2/20. I would like to be as strong as my holo/necro with my dagger dagger spellbreaker, my staff druid or my dragonhunter longbow. You force players to play specific classes and weapons to kill buffed foes. I'm sorry, but i'm dying against a veteran with my d/d spellbreaker that is berserk, +5% damage with furry , +14% damage with burst, increased critical chance.... i play piano and random and kill them in two sec with necro! Fix that kitten balance, or remove the statement play how you want . How many time, I see lfg asking for specific class and roles? Quickfirebrand, hfb, boon chrono, dps , heal..

Lore: 10/20. 2020, 7 years in game. Still no picture of deep sea dragon. No infos about high inquisitor maut, the leader of inquest or the end of the story with malyck or Auris weirdbringer. LS4E2 had an achiev called Inquest.info, expected more. Same with rata novus, don't draw a cube on map if we can't access it. (Hello new horizon achievment).Expected to learn more about kodans recently...Many charr and human lore, some norn with bjora but the other races.... still no crispy revelation about largos or tengus?

I'm very sad that secondary races have been forgotten since ls3: The hyleks, quaggans... god the grawl and jotuns! I expected them in bjora... the centaurs! Harpy! Maybe with woodlands, tengus, largos at the delta?

Musics and sounds: 18/20 I'm fan, movie level there . Sound effects are cool and fit most of cases. And it add something. Fear not this night, battle on breachmaker..... labyrinthine cliffs theme.

Fashion wars: 8/20 Just hope for more skirts for any weight and race. (Looking at you female asura and charr). Heavy armor for light, light for heavy... more choice as medium... and god plz, EYE visor helmet or more futuristic looking armor. Holograms... etc. Definitely need more cultural armors. Also annoying on female asura to have all the male variants for any armor piece. Should be able to select if we want to use the male one or female.

Since you gave to norn ton of armors, (bear, raven shaman, runic...) I expect the same parity with Asura if a depths of tyria expac come. (Looking at all the asura npcs wearing armors I can't have.)

Guild/RP: 12/20 Add option to hide players outside of the squad. Also consider adding more racial decos to guild hall. (Still no proper asura deco after 7 years ) add more guild missions.... Still waiting for housing. I just want to have a house, not a hobo squating in 1 million hubs!

Activities: 6/20 What a waste of ressources those fractals and strikes.... better had continued the dungeons, at least they had their little stories and unique bosses... sad to have lowered the level to follow a small path/just kill a boss. You will never bring strike peoples into raid, forgot. It's creating an even bigger mess: segregation, lp/kp asking in lfg, requiring specific roles, pushing again away the "play how you want".

Fun: 4/20. Only have fun during festivals or while doing guild stuff. A new map each 3 month, achievs rapidly done and then forgotten.... also it's very a stupid child joke idea to only put bl keys behind weekly personnal story step 10, 49 and 60. Is it fun, genocide of your toons again and again for a key not even giving good loot? Is it fun having to farm the same stupid event one million times to get a few gold? Is it normal that farming fractals give you tons of gold for a short amount of times whereas losing times at world bosses and dungeons give you shit? Yes I'm angry, let players play how they want, and buff world bosses and dungeons rewards. Readd all the champions you removed in core maps. Make the meta/wb rush event permanent, each boss giving a token.

Balance the reward in that skritt game!A moa trainer in queensdale win 8 gold by selling birds whereas I have bad time earning them during a day! And no, will not lower my IQ by doing the same event again and again.Or killing my loved characters each week.

Take the weekly festival vendor, it's way far easier to purchase its items during halloween, lunar new year or sab than during dragon bash or wintersday!

Environments: 18/20 The base of each map is okay, but then it's filled with bad events, place non finished... but: the reuse of old assets is in many time well made and realized, the weather and again, sounds do a great job. Ambient dialogues and the few lore books/collection are also what pull the game to the sky and quality. Immersion.

Quality: 10/20 LS maps are horrid, their stories arcs are rushed, maps feels unfinished. Very bad quality released every three months. Expacs maps feels definitely more polished and finished. Whereas good old festivals like sab are rotting unfinished. Also many would like to fight the marionette or see the old LA again.

TLDR: Looking at it from the outside, it looks like a beautiful present. But with closer look, many flaws.Globally, the ambiance, is more than nice, but ruined by a bad skills balance, bad story and events. Also WvW, PvP, raids and guilds don't seems to be loved anymore, and have 0 clear support. I can only salute, the courageous devs adding new decos. And continuing SAB.

Total: 118/240 well... ~9.8 / 20 it's meh.

For a new player it has a ton to offer. Now I would have to say for a new player with more new players it has has even more, but for a new player with veteran players it has less to offer. And that's the issue for veterans there is less since there is more been there done that and with Anet neglecting endgame content and game modes its leaves veterans with playing to play with people versus things to do in game. Now I am not saying that's not the trend in most MMOs but its something they need to consider when deciding where to develop in. The fact that they also took so long to start on the next XPac further hurt their position. We should have had a new expansion and elites a year ago and we have a few more to go at this point. We will lose more players due to that especially if some of the other MMOs on the horizon drop in the mix. GW2 strength is its model of you can come back anytime but that shouldn't be used as an excuse either. You need to communicate, excite and deliver on content. Its that combination of all three that will lead to a stronger player base. Good gaming to you.

In my opinion GW2 is one of the best PvE mmorpgs there is.

Good: Good enough graphics, npc voices is nice to have, alot of content to explore, excellent event system, friendly community, classes are diverse, base gameplay is working nicely.

Bad: Story gameplay/combat can sometimes be really bad (annoying as hell), combat sometimes too much offensive (every class use DPS gear), class balances isn't good, crafting usefullness is very limited, clider and mount available too high levels, rewards for effort isn't good (obsolite because economy change), item shop is allways bad choise.

Good casual game to chill, but I don't see any interest to try-hard it, their is better game for that.Hitbox are often a mess, lag in S4/S5 is very frustrating.You made all the game about chill and solo with "play as you want" slogan, but then you made tank and healer mandatory and design some mechanic to force people on cheese build who totally kill that slogan.

Would recommend to friend who want to chill and explore, open world and mount are greatHoT map are amazing, I was a total disappointment when I start S3 and PoF who despite being beautiful, feel just very lame after the complexity of HoT design.It was very fun to find all little way/location and remember every oif them (still struggle a bit in Tangles depths).

Heart are incredibly boring and doesn't add anything to the game, was glad when I saw them disappear in Orr and HoT, and extremely disappointed to see them back in LS3, PoF etc...The story however was really disappointing, would recommend ESO for a good and deep story, no other MMORPG come close to it.

Big boss are very enjoyable, I still remember how amazed I was to see the Mount of Mordremoth for the 1st time.

Craft is lame, a total mess when you start and understand nothing about it.Then you find guide and understand that 80% of what you can craft is totally useless.

That said, the game is cheap, CS not intrusive, solo or group content are pretty easy and lot of group content can be done solo or duo.Basically a good casual game for casual player, very enjoyable overall.If, like me you'r a support/healer main player, just be ready that only 2% of the game will need you, so, if unlike me, you're not here to chill the time to find a better game, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Edit : I forgot ; Puzzle Jump, I love them, the concept is amazing and even if frustrating sometime, it's really fun to do overall !

GW2 would never have lasted this long if it wasnt at least decent. Coming out with horizontal gear progression along with jump into pvp at lvl 1 and have no gear disadvantage was refreshing and different for the time and it offered RvR something non of the current AAA MMOs had after War Hammers sad ending.

However like most AAA MMOs that offer content for different segments of players it struggles to produce enough content to keep them all happy and Vets get burnout or jaded, they've done it all in particular 8 years in. At least with GW2 one can go clear their steam backlog come back and be geared up and not behind.

Also to be fair it's a near impossible task keeping everyone engaged and happy without a massive team. Overall GW2 has done well in the market considering when they launched and how gaming has changed as have gaming habits.

Certainly for new players the experience can be great a lot of group but solo type content while leveling with events and map meta, the music is great ect.

If someone never played GW2, it is a high recommendation. I was impressed with the amount of content and lore the game has. I think it has the best game play design of any MMO and ARPG. And it is relatively cheap.

My issue is, this is all past tense. If you are a veteran player, and ask me should I come back, my answer is a definitive no. The game has been on a downward trend, and it seems to be only getting worse.

I rate it a 7.5

My opinions:Content gets repetitive but at least it's unique and interestingEnemy design can become too thematic to the world building (Mordrem enemies, etc)The core of the combat system is dynamic but at times messy; balance can make-or-break builds that people created over time which is a deal breaker in a horiontal-progression gameMusic is as always great but can get re-used often

Solid 8. I marked best because saying it's just a decent game means to me 5 to 7. I really enjoyed this game way back before xpacs. The community was nicer. There was Freedom in builds (I like freedom); Build inclusion was much more apparent back then than it is now. I honestly do think like Hugo and others here that the game has lost its way in terms of play as you want. If the Beetle mount never came into existence, I would have stopped playing. I know I'm a minority when I use the beetle for most anything (along with my beetle buddies), but I don't even need an official or guild track. I can just go rally race around a map for fun.

Additionally, people have been really hard on Anet in this thread so far. I can't speak for anyone else, but they've been nice to me in terms of online support. They always answer my tickets and help me out. Though we didn't get to hear voice acting on the release of the latest episode, they could have just stopped releasing anything altogether in light of our current pandemic, but they didn't! We all still get to play, and we all should be thankful for at least that. Aren't they all on the west coast? Aren't they going through some stuff right now?

Honestly it was a solid 9.5 out of 10 when I started.That score is steadily degrading tho after seeing some of the stuff they are and aren't doing.Rollback debacle, more and more maps lagging, poor choices, communication and priorities... Among many other things I don't even want to recall atm