VPN and guild wars 2

LaFurion.3167

@gimo.3281 said:a theoretical way that vpn can improve latency is like when your vpn uses like crazy korean fiber optic speeds route to the destination, from your slow as turtle internet speed. like say if your internet speed is only 5 mbps and your vpn towards the endpoint is like 1k mbps, cut your connection in half (or even lesser) and boost that with the vpn speed. (the formula is even exponential). so yea. you can even round that off and your isp is cancelled out. it is like your vpn is now your isp.

and yea, even if that's the case, the vpn will charge you MORE (probably wayyyyyyy more than your internet subscription) coz they are using ultra high bandwidth just to boost your slow-@ss internet. it's impractical, but possible.

the only way that this could be realized is that if communism wins.

Not only that, but VPNs allow you to manipulate routing in kind of a backwards, uncontrollable way and some of those core ISPs will give Layer 3/4 encrypted traffic higher priority just based on their QoS policies.

Most VPNs are going to cut your throughput by 30% at a minimum if not more, as your encapsulating your data into encrypted packets which have higher overheads and of course could have congestion on their own network. This isn't that much of a concern for gaming though, you only really need at best 1-2 Mbps of throughput available for GW2 at most unless your patching updates. Gaming is all about latency, the actual throughput when using GW2 is small (just barely in the Kbps most of the time).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just recently had my account temporarily banned for playing through a VPN and thought I should share the Support Team comments (name redacted, emphasis mine):

" xxxxxx (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jun 27, 2020, 11:05 AM PDTHello,

Thank you for your patience while we looked into your issue.

It appears this account was caught in our regular account security review. After thoroughly reviewing this account I have decided to remove the block that was placed on it. You may now access our services again.

If you are accessing our services using a VPN/proxy, please understand that we do not condone, nor do we support their usage. While we do not prohibit the use of these services we have found them to be directly associated to malicious and fraudulent activity. As such, continued use may result in additional blocks placed on the account.

If you should need further assistance, please feel free to reach out to us!

Regards,

xxxxxxGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/"

The Official Knowledge Base (and some Devs) also state that using a VPN can be helpful and suggest doing so.
https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360045462814-Network-Connection-FAQ- (Scroll down to VPN.)

You will also find the same disclaimer (more or less). ArenaNet will not 'support' 3rd-party programs, and there's always a chance something can go wrong.

@"stoicarc.7194" said:Just recently had my account temporarily banned for playing through a VPN and thought I should share the Support Team comments (name redacted, emphasis mine):

It appears this account was caught in our regular account security review. After thoroughly reviewing this account I have decided to remove the block that was placed on it. You may now access our services again.

If you are accessing our services using a VPN/proxy, please understand that we do not condone, nor do we support their usage. While we do not prohibit the use of these services we have found them to be directly associated to malicious and fraudulent activity. As such, continued use may result in additional blocks placed on the account.

Regards,

xxxxxxGuild Wars 2 Support Teamhttp://help.guildwars2.com/"

Funnily, while playing LotRO a huge IP range of my ISP was banned and I was unable to reach their servers for nearly 3 months. I had to use a VPN to be able to play during that time. My account was fine, I've never so much as received a warning in any online game ever, but someone must have done something bad who lived in the same city as me.

IP bans are silly and pointless. Mac address bans are nearly as pointless since you can literally change your Mac address in your network controller properties.

VPNs can cause security issues when your account is registered in a certain country and the VPN fakes your origin to another country. Your account might be disabled as the security software thinks your account has been hacked from a person in another region of the world.

VPN does not generally improve your ping. It can even make your ping worse and in pretty much any case it does drastically lower your bandwith.

It all depends on the routing of your ISP to the Guild Wars 2 servers. If this routing is already optimal (the shortest possible travel distance for the signal) then a VPN can do exactly nothing (!) to improve your ping.

I highly doubt that a better ping than 200 from new zealand to northern america is even possible. There exists already a short distance cable "New Zealand > Hawaii > Los Angeles" and using that connection a ping of 200 can be expected. A VPN can not overcome the speed of light.

• 2 weeks later...

@dandamanno.4136 said:

@"stoicarc.7194" said:Just recently had my account temporarily banned for playing through a VPN and thought I should share the Support Team comments (name redacted, emphasis mine):

Regards,

xxxxxxGuild Wars 2 Support Team
"

Funnily, while playing LotRO a huge IP range of my ISP was banned and I was unable to reach their servers for nearly 3 months. I had to use a VPN to be able to play during that time. My account was fine, I've never so much as received a warning in any online game ever, but someone must have done something bad who lived in the same city as me.

IP bans are silly and pointless. Mac address bans are nearly as pointless since you can literally change your Mac address in your network controller properties.

An IP ban is common practise and useful to fight people trying to bypass regular disciplinary actions. E.g. those who create new accounts using stolen credit cards. Those people are harmful to the game and that is why there is sometimes no other way then an IP block. VPN's are for useful for those people as they know it is a harsh measurement when banning a VPN IP and it helps in hiding their whereabouts.But VPN owners also know this and often will not allow such behaviour. So IP- bans are a last resort and if it happens too often please consider using a different VPN provider

• 10 months later...

And sadly I need to add data again. After a couple of hours using the VPN, testing different server locations for ping and having to do the annoying sms 2 step verification every time... my account was "blocked for security reasons."

So Anet servers have lag issues, they have server latency issues, and if you try to find a way to improve those through VPN, you get blocked EVEN when using their own verification methods.

Very annoying.

Edited by Ged Kealmen.7210

It absolutely seems to make sense, except for the fact we have alternative verification methods and are using them added to Anet not attempting to contact the owner in any way and simply blocking. It makes sense, but it's strangely radical action coming from a management system that seems to be very patient, methodical, cautious, tentative, when dealing with bots or hackers.