Addressing stealth complaints without the nerf bat

ASP.8093

Reading these requests/suggestions shows you how bad these players are when Anet has already given much easier methods to reveal stealth using players. From my experience what happens is that these players cry and cry to get something nerfed and in the end all it does is make it require more effort to kill them. Its annoying but trash is still trash no matter what dumpster it falls into.

@"Svarty.8019" said:What happens when cheese is available is that experienced, quality players accept said cheese and run that because it's the best. Why would they do otherwise? Variety?The option to choose variety over victory is a luxury that only the best players can afford.

You're absolutely right. This is why cheese is something that should always be non-optimal, aka not be able to do as well as the more challenging builds, provided that they've both achieved their skill ceiling. When this happens, it's a balancing failure.

Then there's also the question of "Whose build gets to be the optimal build?" Ideally every profession should have builds that strive for the top, but i don't know if that's ever happening.

• 2 weeks later...

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"ASP.8093" said:
  1. Called targets stay called when they become visible again.I asked for this a million years ago, you can see how influential I am.

I have keybinds for autotarget and snap to ground that work very well for targeting opponents which utilize stealth - I can even do noscope hip shots this way which can solve some of the problems associated with having to retarget an enemy that pops out of stealth or if going into it. You don't even need a channeled ability for it to track as long as your skill goes off within a certain time frame and you are within the skills range.

On that note, there's actually a lot of handicaps we are given, some intentional, some not (like the above) which all work against thieves which is probably why many of them end up using a particular playstyle that we are pigeon-holing them in, creating a vicious circle.

I still say make it more enticing for thieves to be in the revealed state, give some buffs for getting revealed and they'll probably stop using long duration stealth if being revealed is a better option.

@Raiden The Beast.3016 said:For teef stealth is fine, remove it for the other classes like holo, ranger, trapper rune.

Classes like ranger , holo r high damage high substain monsters on top stealth... to much, delete stealh. Teef has stealth as an core component, since the big nerf teef dmg is much less, so stealth is in line.

In pve nobody cares anyway.

In pvp teef is still the decap / +1 unable to 1vs1 and useless in teamfights. Stealth interuppt capping node and +1 right now is noddle dmg... so stealth is fine

In wvw there are so many anti stealth mechanics which hurts teefs most.In my opinion these anti mechanics should get extend to other mechanics like,

• ranger no pet
  • holo no holoyolo mode
  • mes no clones
  • nec no shroud
  • guards no boon spam
  • ...This would be fair

I'd be ok if thieves were there only class with stealth, and they would have to give back portaling allies to mesmer (I'm ok with only portaling self like the old shadow trap but with the way shadow portal works currently).

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"Josh.4132" said:I honestly don’t think reveal is that strong if you think about how Deadeye can remove reveal and how much mobility thief has in general. Unless you’re a ranger that has just popped Sick’em and can pew pew, that thief is 100% gonna change to short bow and get out of combat until reveal is gone. It’ll then come back and start the bs stealth, backstab, restealth chain until you’re dead.

Apparently it was strong enough to create a need for a "counter-to-a-counter" button. You also claim that it's not strong, but right after that say that thief needs to run away and wait it out. How exactly is this "not strong"?

And that's also why I keep saying that
if
devs think there's something wrong about stealth, then they should target the precise area they think is in need of adjusting (perma/long duration stealth?) and then balance the mechanic "around itself" instead of some "
you either happened to include the counter and win or you didn't so kitten you. Nvm, now we add counter to a counter, kek.
"

For me similar thing goes for the "reveal on hit" (when gw2 is just full of cleave/aoe abilities spammed everywhere, it just completely destroys short duration in-combat stealth along with stealth attacks, which I don't think is the problem for anyone?), "shimmer" (basically "your stealth isn't stealth anymore, so what's the point") or "reveal when nearby" (again, basically deleting short duration in-combat stealth).Maybe people just got too used to anet "shotgunning" the nerfs instead of targetting problematic areas, but I don't think that's the correct approach to balancing.

I think that's what the OP has done with their two suggestions.

...don't you see who I was answering to or what's your point exactly? :confused:

• Confused 1