DX12 for GW2. Do yourself a favor, try this out.

Pro Tip: Use one of the included custom configs if you have a high end system. It will increase your frames significantly more than the standard install. The standard install is meant for mid-lower end.

This made me enjoy events again. This made GW2 a prime part of my rotation again and lead to me spending a lot more money in the gem store. :-)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now sold on this, after trying version 2.1.2. The last version I tried back in February seemed slower in loading missing textures. Either that or I'm more patient now. I don't even consider it an issue anymore. So, add me to the list of people benefiting from much smoother gameplay. My PC is no slouch, either: i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2070, games installed on SSDs....

@"Josiah.2967" said:Pro Tip: Use one of the included custom configs if you have a high end system. It will increase your frames significantly more than the standard install. The standard install is meant for mid-lower end.

This made me enjoy events again. This made GW2 a prime part of my rotation again and lead to me spending a lot more money in the gem store. :-)

Could you elaborate? I couldn't find any guidance on this. I tried entering "no" at the "Standard installation?" prompt, but that led to 3 options that didn't seem relevant.

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

@"Josiah.2967" said:Pro Tip: Use one of the included custom configs if you have a high end system. It will increase your frames significantly more than the standard install. The standard install is meant for mid-lower end.

Could you elaborate? I couldn't find any guidance on this. I tried entering "no" at the "Standard installation?" prompt, but that led to 3 options that didn't seem relevant.

Think it has to do with the actual config file(s) in the d912pxy folder. You will find two config files, config.ini and bns_config.ini. In the configs folder there are some other files with high-end configurations. You are most likely supposed to replace one or both of the config files with these, unfortunately I don't know which replaces which and / or if you are supposed to replace both config.ini and bns_config.ini.

There's a page on the github that goes into detail with the config file variables.https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/wiki/Custom-configuration

Ryzen 1500x OC to 3,9 GHz + GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM. Win 10.Generally a bit lower fps, textures needed ages to load. The game has frozen while exit to desktop.

Not for me. Uninstalled. Will wait for true DX12 from ANet. I hope with the next Expansion.

@Vences.7238 said:Ryzen 1500x OC to 3,9 GHz + GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM. Win 10.Generally a bit lower fps, textures needed ages to load. The game has frozen while exit to desktop.

Not for me. Uninstalled. Will wait for true DX12 from ANet. I hope with the next Expansion.

The textures will take a long time to load while it caches them the first time it encounters them. So you will notice this as you go from map to map. Eventually it ends and will not happen anymore, even on a restart of the game.

For fps, I did a install/reinstall cycle three times in three different areas of the game and all three times the fps while using dx912pxy was higher by 6-20 fps. But as with all things, ymmv and it's possible it just doesn't have an effect on specific systems.

Grab the gw2_hiend config file in the config folder, rename it to config and place it into the main dx912 folder overwriting the existing config. The other configs are for Blade and Soul (bns_config) and if you have 8gb of vram and 16 gb of RAM (obviously only try that one if you meet those two criteria or better.

@"Dayra.7405" said:Hm did I got it right this tool emulates DX9 in DX12, and by doing so improves speed?

Whow this means this hobby project is the better DX9 implementation than MS DX9 in windows10.

I'd say it's not so much the MS DX9 implementation being bad as modern graphics drivers not including strong optimisations for a very old API that isn't used by many programs that could stress a modern GPU anyway. That, and d912pxy almost certainly takes many shortcuts that are "unsafe" and could theoretically result in image corruption or crashes, but gets away with it because GW2 is safe in those situations by coincidence. The older DirectX APIs provided a great deal more guarantees and safety checks, especially relating to concurrent operations, than DX12 does (in exchange for lower performance.)

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I'm on Windows 7. No DX12 for me. (Unless ArenaNet would release a build of GW2 with DX12 support on Win7 like Blizzard did with WoW.)https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/297092-microsoft-makes-it-easier-to-bring-directx-12-games-to-windows-7

Hmm, maybe you can according to the requirements. https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/wiki/Installing

@Rasgalinj.2763 said:

Think it has to do with the actual config file(s) in the d912pxy folder. You will find two config files, config.ini and bns_config.ini. In the configs folder there are some other files with high-end configurations. You are most likely supposed to replace one or both of the config files with these, unfortunately I don't know which replaces which and / or if you are supposed to replace both config.ini and bns_config.ini.

This is what I am talking about.This stopped the jitter for me. Doing that alone will make a big impact if you have a med-higher end 8GB card and at least 16GB a ram (32 preferred). I made a few more tweaks to the custom config to utilize even more resources. The custom config should be ideal for a lot of people, I would not recommend that most people tweaks things further. The increase is much less than the preset custom config that will work for more people.

One place I always have issues is the intro of Grothmar Valley (bar area). I used this for my testing.

None: 27-32 framesStandards: 36-46 framesCustom Config - 62-82 frames.

The rest of it I am capped at 130 frames. (My choice). This plugin alone made events enjoyable for me. The jitter would can make me nautious if their is to much jitter. I have a high end system, so your mileage may vary. Poorly optimized bosses like Drakar still drop down to 65-80 frames, but that's high enough to prevent the jitter for me I had before. This just makes the game enjoyable for me.

Note: Other people might have higher frames in that place, however I have a 1440p ultrawide monitor. :-)

The great news is this is the most inefficient way to use DX12. Anything Arenanet does will be far superior and provide even greater frames. I really hope the next expansion has such an update so I no longer need this.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I'm on Windows 7. No DX12 for me. (Unless ArenaNet would release a build of GW2 with DX12 support on Win7 like Blizzard did with WoW.)https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/297092-microsoft-makes-it-easier-to-bring-directx-12-games-to-windows-7

d912pxy will work for windows 7 (at a reduced effectiveness, as not everything can be emulated well). It's the windows 8/8.1 owners that have a problem, as there is no solution whatsoever for them.Well, they probably could downgrade to windows 7, but i assume everyone with windows 8.1 has a reason why they can't do that. "upgrading" to win10 however is not something i would recommend. While backbone of this system is indeed sound, the UI and QoL it offers are the worst so far (there's also the ugly aestethics issue, but that one is highly subjective so i suppose there are people that might actually like it).

@Marasmic.6819 said:Anyone here actually tech savvy enough to dig through the source code to see if this thing is doing anything malicious?

Source code was eventually shared and nothing malicious to be found in the end.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:"upgrading" to win10 however is not something i would recommend.There is zero reason not to use Win10 today, except maybe for using Linux.

As long as people ain't telling you that it's just "privacy" issues because neither OS is actually safe, one is just more openly sharing the fact that it's picking your stuff up.

I guess its time to upgrade from win 8.1 to 10, thanks for the heads up, I almost installed it, saved me "trying to make it work" fuss.Why it doesn't work on win 8/8.1, does anyone know?

@Shao.7236 8.1 should have been the learned from mistakes version. I mean, I had no problems so far with it, on the contrary it feels more stable than win 10 in some regards. But then win 10 got alot of updates, so it exceeds win 8.1 in terms of stability, compatibility and optimization.

@"Gundahar.2765" said:I guess its time to upgrade from win 8.1 to 10, thanks for the heads up, I almost installed it, saved me "trying to make it work" fuss.Why it doesn't work on win 8/8.1, does anyone know?

8 is like Vista, it was the big change. Where a lot of things lost compatibility and such, where everything had to start adapting. 10 is like 7, where they've learned from their mistakes and perfected from those. This is rather common in technology steps.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does the person that created and/or maintains this have a forum or some other means of communicating possible bugs or issues to work on? I think I managed to find the place the code is maintained, and it has some sort of issue tracker, but it's 'extremely' intimidating. I was hoping to just convey an issue I see with it, maybe provide a screenshot, and offer to test changes directed at that issue.

Other than the one issue I see, it works pretty good for me. I don't know if it helps my FPS anywhere, it does 'seem' to increase the load on my processor, even, but it helps smooth out some places and times when I get 'stutter'. One example is when I first login a character in the Mist thing in the sky (forget the exact name, one of the better 'one stop shopping' portal scroll places), when I make a 180 degree turn with my mouse to look the other way the first time, it's a big lag fest. With this running, it's non-existent.

@galuf.5741 said:

@galuf.5741 said:I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

Now post a vid proving it. :)

I tried this today and while it works without glitches, I can't say that I see any difference in both minimum and maximum FPS. When doing Death Branded Shatterer, the Steel warband phase in Drizzlewood and other taxing metas, the FPS still goes down to 14-15 if the map is full. Had some hope that frames in metas with gazillions of peope might become better, but didn't happen.My PC is Ryzen 5 1600x, RX 580 8GB and 16 GB dual channel RAM at 2666 mhz. Playing on max settings.