Copy Paste Features for Chat

Icethorn.6570

• 9 months later...

Same here. Why this is done in other MMOs as well is beyond me. ESO does the same thing, Wildstar as well, needed addons to be able to click links at all. Are links really that bad?

Then again this is the company that suppresses people in chat for changing the LFG message. So its probably the same kind of reason that they don't allow links. Someone, somewhere, would definitely use it to try and spread malware or whatnot. Same as the chat suppression is to prevent RMT spammers but is restrictive enough to hit others as well.Basically, don't count on this being changed because a few people can and will use it maliciously.

@kurfu.5623 said:

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Anyone ever try using the Windows copy paste commands? Not the easiest solution but I do believe it still works.

You can paste into the chat box with CRTL-V, but you cannot copy text from there.

You can Ctrl+C copy from the chat box, but not from the chat window. I use it all the time fore those "enter name to delete" items - shift+click the item, mark the link in the chatbox, copy, delete item, paste link into confirmation window, remove start and end brackets.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Zaklex.6308" said:Anyone ever try using the Windows copy paste commands? Not the easiest solution but I do believe it still works.

You can paste into the chat box with CRTL-V, but you cannot copy text from there.

You
can
Ctrl+C copy from the chat
box
, but not from the chat
window
. I use it all the time fore those "enter name to delete" items - shift+click the item, mark the link in the chatbox, copy, delete item, paste link into confirmation window, remove start and end brackets.

Oooh, that's handy, thanks, I never thought of that!

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Anyone ever try using the Windows copy paste commands? Not the easiest solution but I do believe it still works.

You can copy/paste in any write-in box, but I don't think you can select or copy from the chat window. :/

The OP did say from chat text boxes, which to me is the box you write in and not the chat window...so using Ctrl-V and Ctrl-C would work just fine(as others have confirmed).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

You guys can try using Capture2Text https://sourceforge.net/projects/capture2text, which converts images (selected area screenshot) to text, copying to the clipboard automatically. You can also use AutoHotkey https://autohotkey.com/ to bind a key and make Capture2Text trigger using your chosen hotkey. It definitely does not replace the absolute need for a "copy from chat window" native functionality but it's a nice alternative! As an extra, you can add another free tool (all those tools are free) called QTranslate https://quest-app.appspot.com/home, which can translate your clipboard text on the fly. You can use AutoHotkey to assign a hotkey for that too. That setup is great for foreign players or players who are playing games (including GW2) in foreign languages. I Hope you find this useful!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...