Copy Paste Features for Chat

Icethorn.6570

IIRC these things were already pointed out by the playerbase community even when GW2 was still in betatest phase, but I agree its a good idea to try write another topic about this again, to see if ArenaNet , after 7 years, did not eventually re-considered this. ( So thats justify the existence of this topic).

Yes, I agree with this chat window functionality. Basically in all MMOs I have been played, even cheap-budget free-to-play ones, this copy pasta was possible.

Everytime I see some newbies asking questions in starter locations (for example Queensdale), discussion when I am answering them and explaining GW2 game mechanic they are asking for, it usually ends like this: newbie: "Oh, I am very grateful to you for your help and thorough explanation, seems like I am finaly starting to understanding this, but, please, for some reason I was not able to copy-paste the gw2 wiki link you were posting, probably because it was "surrounded" between the other text parts of your explanation. Can you please send that link again, this time alone in the text line, so I can click on it? Thanks very much." me: -sighing loudly- "No, I cannot, GW2 does not allow copy-pasta or even clicking on links sent in chat, sorry." newbie: "Uh, oh, ehm, ooookay. Very much thanks for your help anyway, will manually visit that wiki later."

At this point, I basically gave up to sent GW2 wiki links anyway, so now I am just writing " I recomend wiki.guildwars2.com, very good game Wiki for GW2" , and thats all.

@"Faenar.8036" said:IIRC these things were already pointed out by the playerbase community even when GW2 was still in betatest phase, but I agree its a good idea to try write another topic about this again, to see if ArenaNet , after 7 years, did not eventually re-considered this. ( So thats justify the existence of this topic).

Yes, I agree with this chat window functionality. Basically in all MMOs I have been played, even cheap-budget free-to-play ones, this copy pasta was possible.

Everytime I see some newbies asking questions in starter locations (for example Queensdale), discussion when I am answering them and explaining GW2 game mechanic they are asking for, it usually ends like this: newbie: "Oh, I am very grateful to you for your help and thorough explanation, seems like I am finaly starting to understanding this, but, please, for some reason I was not able to copy-paste the gw2 wiki link you were posting, probably because it was "surrounded" between the other text parts of your explanation. Can you please send that link again, this time alone in the text line, so I can click on it? Thanks very much." me: -sighing loudly- "No, I cannot, GW2 does not allow copy-pasta or even clicking on links sent in chat, sorry." newbie: "Uh, oh, ehm, ooookay. Very much thanks for your help anyway, will manually visit that wiki later."

At this point, I basically gave up to sent GW2 wiki links anyway, so now I am just writing " I recomend wiki.guildwars2.com, very good game Wiki for GW2" , and thats all.

You can tell them to type /wiki in game. This will send them automatically to the wiki. You can even type things like /wiki worldbosses and you instantly go to the worldboss timer on wiki.

• 2 years later...

I would absolutely love to be able to copy text from the chat as well.  Even if we can't click links, just to be able to copy text out of the chat would be fantastic.

I imagine it'd involve them having to implement some kind of selection system, but if they don't want to go to the effort to do that, let us right click on a line and have a menu that copies the entire line.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:05 AM, Faenar.8036 said:

IIRC these things were already pointed out by the playerbase community even when GW2 was still in betatest phase, but I agree its a good idea to try write another topic about this again, to see if ArenaNet , after 7 years, did not eventually re-considered this. ( So thats justify the existence of this topic).

Yeah that's crazy, the game has been out since 2012, and it still has no copy pasta feature. Makes you wonder why they would do that to their player base 11 years later.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4