Should GW2 come out for PS5 or XBox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Some people already play GW2 with a controller, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how exactly the button mapping works.

The PS4 controller has 8 buttons on top, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks which can also be pressed down, a dedicated options button for menus and a touch pad which can function as at least 1 extra button. (Plus dedicated share and home buttons but I'm not counting them because as far as I know they can't be re-bound to other functions.)

So that's at least 15 buttons and 2 analogue sticks, which I imagine would be for moving the character and camera. (I don't have an Xbox One controller, but the Xbox 360 and Switch controllers have 16 buttons and 2 analogue sticks each, so I assume the Xbox One is similar and the PS5 and new Xbox will be comparable too.)

My 'combat cluster' on the keyboard uses 20 buttons (10 skills, 5 profession skills, special action, weapon swap, take target, dodge and jump), plus 4 to move the character and the mouse to move the camera/target skills, and you'd need 1 to switch to menus (likely the options button). So I assume using a controller means using modifiers (like shift+1, shift+2 etc.) but it's pretty easy to do that since controllers are designed to allow you to press multiple buttons at once, and of course the game already supports mapping a skill to a button+modifier.

Of course that doesn't cover absolutely everything (e.g. there's no mount bindings, or shortcuts for different menus) but I imagine that could be handled by having different sets of keybindings depending on the situation - like the context sensitive F key.

As far as Controllers go, don't think them as button to button when comparing them to a keyboard. Most Console Games use button and trigger combinations, along with button taps or holds, so you could actually link each button with each keyboard key.

--- Keys Playstation--- Keyboard

1) R2 --- #1 (Weapon Skill 1)2) Button 1‐-- # 2 (Weapon Skill 2)3) Button 2--- # 3 (Weapon Skill 3)4) Button 3--- # 4 (Weapon Skill 4)5) Button 4--- Space bar (Jump)6) L1 + 1 --- # 5 (Weapon Skill 5)7) L1 + 2 --- # 6 (Utility Skill 1)8) L1 + 3 --- # 7 (Utility Skill 2)9) L1 + 4 --- (Dodge)10) R1 + 1 --- # 8 (Utility Skill 3)11) R1 + 2 --- # 9 (Utility Skill 4)12) R1 + 3 --- # 10 (Utility Skill 5)13) R1 + 4 --- (Finish/ Revive)14) L2 +1 --- F1 (Prof. Skill 1)15) L2 +2--- F2 (Prof. Skill 2)16) L2+ 3 --- F3 (Prof. Skill 3)17) L2 + 4--- F4 (Prof. Skill 4)18) L2 + R2--- F5 (Prof. Skill 5)19) Dir 1--- Weapon Swap20) Dir 2 --- Items21) Dir 3 --- Emotes/ Communicate22) Dir 4 --- Change Camera Angle23) R3 --- Move24) L3 --- Camera/Press to target25) Option (Main Menu)26) Touchpad --- Tap for Map/ Hold for Mount OptionsNo, make it exclusive to Xbox kinect.

@Nemesis.2019 said:Instead of PS5/XSX, they should be moving to Guild Wars 3 built with DX12 in mind, DX9 is ancient architecture, next expansion needs to be the final one, move on already Anet a lot of us have good PC to run DX12...

They are so stubborn that they refuse to put the graphical advantages introduced in Draconis Mons and Path of Fire to the rest of the game, creating extra effort for their graphic team to make sure every dye, skin, outfit, weapon, armor etc looks good on BOTH systems, so asking them to move to a different architecture is too much. Maybe their metrics show the pre-Path of Fire game is played by so many players with Windows XP that is not worth upgrading the rest of the game.

ESO made it work before I stopped playing. I don't know the current state but, back then, there were no "utility slots" in there (only two sets of 6 skills on weapon switch). Before launching console version (and after it too) they were gradually adjusting UI to allow consoles to have the same thing PC master race had (context menus from right-mouse-button click, DPS meters - which only PC users had and even though only through addons- and etc.)

But I agree with the very first answer: "Until they fix the PC version they better not even consider working on something like this..."

@Daishi.6027 said:Do the new consoles get a mouse and keyboard?

Frankly I don't think you get enough buttons. And being able to look around, even if do-able; sounds like a chore.

People may be able to get it to work, but I don't think it's a very user friendly experience that would appeal to the console market.

So the question is then, who is it for? If it's to give already invested players another avenue to login, I highly doubt a-net would want to expend their resources that way. At least not anytime soon.

I think it'll be for console players. I think pc player might see the advantage for playing the game on a pc, but console players don't see the set back that pc gamer see. It's second nature to use multiple buttons at once. In fact every game that was a pc game and came out for console, you don't hear console gamers complaining about them.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Both are inferior to the power of a pc.

Using steam hardware survey as a basis, PS5 and XSX are both more powerful than 92% of PCs out there.~8% of steam users have an 8-core CPU or above, the new consoles have an 8-core CPU~8% of steam users have a GPU comparable, or more powerful, than those on the new consoles

Consoles are indeed inferior to PC, but that depends on the age of that PC, most PC players are still running potatoes. Fall 2020 is gonna be very interesting hardware-wise.

Still I don't think GW2 would run very well on the new consoles, since it requires so much single core performance. That said, GW2 runs very well on NVIDIA GeForce NOW (Arenanet did opt-in in that), so it could also run on Microsoft's XCLOUD (depending on how its pricing work)You said it already... it's the single threaded performance. Even the PS5 with its Zen2 CPU will suffer from the low 3.5 GHz clockspeed and the 8 cores don't matter as GW2 does not make great use of them.

A 4.5 GHz Intel Quadcore from 2017 (i7 7700K) or alternatively the new entry level Ryzen 3 3300X for 120 dollars runs this game miles (!) better than the PS5 CPU would. And even with these CPUs the performance is still way too bad for console standards. GW2 might not even be allowed to be released by Sony with these performance issues.

Btw.: The control button layout would be the smallest problem.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:Both are inferior to the power of a pc.

Using steam hardware survey as a basis, PS5 and XSX are both more powerful than 92% of PCs out there.~8% of steam users have an 8-core CPU or above, the new consoles have an 8-core CPU~8% of steam users have a GPU comparable, or more powerful, than those on the new consoles

Consoles are indeed inferior to PC, but that depends on the age of that PC, most PC players are still running potatoes. Fall 2020 is gonna be very interesting hardware-wise.

Still I don't think GW2 would run very well on the new consoles, since it requires so much single core performance. That said, GW2 runs very well on NVIDIA GeForce NOW (Arenanet did opt-in in that), so it could also run on Microsoft's XCLOUD (depending on how its pricing work)You said it already... it's the single threaded performance. Even the PS5 with its Zen2 CPU will suffer from the low 3.5 GHz clockspeed and the 8 cores don't matter as GW2 does not make great use of them.

A 4.5 GHz Intel Quadcore from 2017 (i7 7700K) or alternatively the new entry level Ryzen 3 3300X for 120 dollars runs this game miles (!) better than the PS5 CPU would. And even with these CPUs the performance is still way too bad for console standards. GW2 might not even be allowed to be released by Sony with these performance issues.

Btw.: The control button layout would be the smallest problem.

I was responding to the comment about the "consoles being inferior to PCs"

According to steam hardware survey only 5.22% of users have a CPU that runs at 3.7 GHz and above, meaning the PS5 and XSX CPUs are better than 94% of the CPUs used by all the steam users out there (in single thread performance). Yes there are options on PC that offer higher clock speeds than what the upcoming consoles will have, but they aren't used by the actual players out there. There is hardware that will run GW2 better than these new consoles, but if it's not utilized by any significant segment of the playerbase then it's a moot point.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:Both are inferior to the power of a pc.

Btw.: The control button layout would be the smallest problem.You forget the part where developers will literally
design their games for multithreaded performance since both consoles natively support DX12
. And they already did that before, the PS4 has 8x cores at a pathetic 1.6ghz in comparison (PS4 Pro at 2.1ghz) yet it still plays fairly modern console games fine, no? The CPU in the PS5/XSX is eqvivalent to a Ryzen 7 3700X without the boost clock.

GW2 would do fine on the new consoles. In fact it would probably do better than what 80% of people on this forum already playing GW2 have in terms of CPU. That's not really an argument. But porting to consoles will still cost Anet millions. It is incredibly unlikely that it would happen - maybe GW3 if it comes out will be multi-platform, who knows. It's not up to us - a poll is so ridiculous.

You do realize that most consoles these days support a keyboard right ? That means 40 buttons will be no problem on consoles, especially with a keyboard. Also there are keyboards going for $10.00-$20.00 unless you like playing with the more expensive keyboards on PC/console. PS4 and PS3 allowed it for FFXIV. Heck even PS2 allowed for keyboard as well Via FFXI and a couple other things. Mouse isn't totally needed. You could use the controller to move around and the keyboard for everything else like I did on FFXI (with the PS2) before I migrated to PC.

With the patch-cycles you get from a console release that's a hard no from me. At least cross-play would mean that PC releases get delayed, bundled into bigger patches and bugs often persist until the next scheduled patch.

Without cross-play the PC version could end up being a kind of public beta for the console version. At that point I don't think even cross-platform save would be possible because it would mean being able to take items from the PC economy to the console economy before they are patched into the console economy. So unless the console community is big enough to cope on their own, the console port would be dead on arrival.

@Danikat.8537 said:Some people already play GW2 with a controller, so it's possible, but I'm not sure how exactly the button mapping works.Not that good. Most of the things can be mapped well, but there are some that either don't work at all, or work much worse. Precise movement, fast direction change, ground targeting, basically everything where you would need precise mouse movements, all of those are significantly inferior on controller.Notice, that's not specific to GW2, it basically happens any time mouse is involved. It's just way more precise (and way faster) than what can be done with controllers. There's a reason why Blizzard, for example, heavily frowns on console Overwatch players using mouse and keyboard - that gives them a significant advantage.

GW2 is heavy on CPU and when even the new PC's are barely handling GW2 guess how horrible it's gonna be for console, let alone all the disadvantages to release GW2 for console.-it needs to be completely changed just to be compatible for console use-the whole interface and button config needs to be completely overhauled just to fit a controller-they need to pay tribute just to be on a console-every single thing they make for the game needs to be held back so the console can handle it.

and i can go on, no matter how much you want it on console it is not gonna happen.i much rather they focus on balancing out the engine so it can run on pc properly, that's at least time well spend.

@"sorudo.9054" said:GW2 is heavy on CPU and when even the new PC's are barely handling GW2 guess how horrible it's gonna be for console, let alone all the disadvantages to release GW2 for console.-it needs to be completely changed just to be compatible for console use-the whole interface and button config needs to be completely overhauled just to fit a controller-they need to pay tribute just to be on a console-every single thing they make for the game needs to be held back so the console can handle it.

and i can go on, no matter how much you want it on console it is not gonna happen.i much rather they focus on balancing out the engine so it can run on pc properly, that's at least time well spend.Look, they're PCs thats going to be running DirectX games. Literally. Both consoles are a roughly Ryzen 7 3700X eqvivalent CPU with a "RX 6600XT" GPU (we dont know the desktop GPU eqvivalent, just that its around a 5700XT on the next gen AMD cores, so that it would be next gen mid range seem reasonable). And we run GW2 fine on far worse PCs.

If this had been a reverse situation today for a new game, I would have said fuck yeah make it consoles first and PC second! Because that guarantee DX12 and modern multicore engine design that our PCs vastly benefit from as well.

But of course we're not in that situation. Its not going to happen for GW2. Just dont keep thinking of next gen as "consoles". They're PCs.

(I am 99% certain you can also just plug in a keyboard and mouse if you want. Would be funny if its blocked)

i'm all for more players so i'll only be for a PS5/Xbox GW2 if and only if it's cross platform like FFXIV. getting official controller support for the PC as a result of these is a bonus but not a requirement.

@maximusmann.1263 said:Hell to the no. Why limit the game is to a platform that will replaced in a couple of years? Spend those resources on ways of bringing the consolers here to the major leagues.

this isn't much of an issue (the obsoletion/phasing-out of the platform).. iirc, FFXIV did an upgrade thing when it dropped ps3 (free upgrade to ps4) from it's platforms and just kept ps4+pc cross-multiplayer... and if it (FFXIV) will not be replaced by a newer FF mmorpg in the next 6 or so years, it might do the same and drop ps4 for the ps5 and offer ps4 users a free upgrade

@Astyrah.4015 said:i'm all for more players so i'll only be for a PS5/Xbox GW2 if and only if it's cross platform like FFXIV. getting official controller support for the PC as a result of these is a bonus but not a requirement.

@maximusmann.1263 said:Hell to the no. Why limit the game is to a platform that will replaced in a couple of years? Spend those resources on ways of bringing the consolers here to the major leagues.

this isn't much of an issue (the obsoletion/phasing-out of the platform)..
iirc
, FFXIV did an upgrade thing when it dropped ps3 (free upgrade to ps4) from it's platforms and just kept ps4+pc cross-multiplayer... and if it (FFXIV) will not be replaced by a newer FF mmorpg in the next 6 or so years, it might do the same and drop ps4 for the ps5 and offer ps4 users a free upgrade

the one problem i always see is that ppl compare FFXIV to show it's possible but fail to see why its so, GW2 was never made for console use and it will take a huge overhaul to do so while FFXIV is specifically made for console/pc play.