We need non-RNG options for ALL account-bound items.

I don't like RNG.. so yes I agree.

Rare random drops should never be account bound and account bound items should never be locked behind RNG.I struggle enough to get really rare drops, the last thing I want is to finally get one randomly one day and then realize I can't even sell it if I don't want it.

I agree with the OP on this one.

Ideally you'd have two choices with account-bound loot: Slowly work toward your goal (via tokens, achievement rewards, currency purchase, etc.), or get lucky on the way with RNG.

Both ways mean you're putting in an effort toward your goal, and those who like RNG would still have access to it. Limiting this to account-bound items would also keep the change from affecting the market. I've always loved the parts of GW2 that allow you to customize your experience (renown hearts are a great example since you can complete them in so many ways), and account-bound loot should be no different. No laziness, no free pass, just QoL and concrete goals to work toward.

@HotDelirium.7984 said:

Not just that but other re

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:The Gift of Aurene definitely put this problem on my radar. 1000 chests for the first one, but after that you must depend on RNG. It doesn't even give you a way to craft the rest if you unlocked the first one. Something like that would significantly make it better if you can get even just one to drop.

I don't see why it would be horrible to get the first 1 at 1000 and then 1 every 500 from then on. AT least you KNOW the scheduling and god forbid are actually motivated by the confidence in the drop.

I don't know about others but if I KNEW I was going to get one every XYZ* numbered interval I would happily grind....not begrudgingly grind.

I did the thousand chests. The amount of hours spent on doing the same map meta to get that many, I wouldn't do it even if it dropped to 500 per repeat. I'd rather spend that time making legendaries.

@Algreg.3629 said:these mechanics are almost a necessity for games like this, keeps content relevant longer (no, neither like nor dislike that)Oh, i don't know. For me, if the drop chance is so low i cannot realistically plan around it anymore, it stops affecting me at all. If said content won't have anything else to keep it relevant for me, the very rare drops won't change it in the slightest.

@Algreg.3629 said:these mechanics are almost a necessity for games like this, keeps content relevant longer (no, neither like nor dislike that)

They're not. Farming for a 1% chance and farming for a 100 currency is similar in effort, but more equal for everyone with the ability to get actual progress toward the goal.Imagine if killing a foe had a 0.1% chance to make you level up instead of giving XP, that's what RNG is for loot.

@Taril.8619 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:I don't get what the devs gain from making some customers pleased and other customers disappointed lol. :p

@Atomos.7593 said:person who opens it a thousand times

Now imagine there was money involved.

What could developers possibly gain from such a system?

Haha true. I was intending to add to my previous post, where I was looking for reasons other than money, with that post.

But if money was a big issue why not make it so that you have to open the box many times to get the rare item (but it is guaranteed to get the item once you open the box this many times) and then everyone would have to pay a lot to get the item, instead of using RNG where someone may get it quickly but others may not? I guess making the drops RNG would make the money issue less transparent and obvious though.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:I don't get what the devs gain from making some customers pleased and other customers disappointed lol. :p

Haha true. I was intending to add to my previous post, where I was looking for reasons other than money, with that post.

But if money was a big issue why not make it so that you have to open the box many times to get the rare item (but it is guaranteed to get the item once you open the box this many times) and then everyone would have to pay a lot to get the item, instead of using RNG where someone may get it quickly but others may not? I guess making the drops RNG would make the money issue less transparent and obvious though.

Because of several reasons:

1) You get less out of whales. Who WILL purchase thousands upon thousands of boxes to get all the 0.000001% chance items.

2) Random plebs will get put off if they see a large price point on stuck onto the item they want and not bother purchasing any boxes.

3) This system may as well just put the item for direct purchase in the store. If it is guaranteed after spending so much money on boxes. That way you aren't giving away "Free" boxes when people are dropping money for the rare item.

4) You exploit people far less. With cheap boxes that have a chance to give the rare item, people are more likely to spend a couple of dollars on a box. Then when they don't get the item... "Oh it's only a couple more dollars for another box no big deal". Then another one and another one and another one and before the person knows it, they've spent $1000 on boxes. (This is one of the primary ways Mobile games earn money, selling lots of "Cheap" stuff that people can end up buying a lot of without realizing)

@Taril.8619 said:

Because of several reasons:

1) You get less out of whales. Who
WILL
purchase thousands upon thousands of boxes to get all the 0.000001% chance items.

2) Random plebs will get put off if they see a large price point on stuck onto the item they want and not bother purchasing any boxes.

3) This system may as well just put the item for direct purchase in the store. If it is guaranteed after spending so much money on boxes. That way you aren't giving away "Free" boxes when people are dropping money for the rare item.

4) You exploit people far less. With cheap boxes that have a chance to give the rare item, people are more likely to spend a couple of dollars on a box. Then when they don't get the item... "Oh it's only a couple more dollars for another box no big deal". Then another one and another one and another one and before the person knows it, they've spent $1000 on boxes. (This is one of the primary ways Mobile games earn money, selling lots of "Cheap" stuff that people can end up buying a lot of without realizing)

Interesting, good points.

I just wish everything on the gem store and in specialty RNG chests in the game could be crafted as an account bound item through elaborate recipes that players have to discover. Even if the cost of crafting was just as costly but more time consuming as acquiring it via the current methods. Imagine a process to craft ebony plank using existing woods to craft unbreakable handles for farming tools.

I did the thousand chests. The amount of hours spent on doing the same map meta to get that many, I wouldn't do it even if it dropped to 500 per repeat. I'd rather spend that time making legendaries.

Game mechanics-wise my suggestion is just the healthiest compromise I can think of at the moment.

No thanks, I like the fact that I have something that others do not and that they cannot buy it but have to acquire it through the same RNG as I had to. And before someone jumps in with, "Why do you care about how I obtained my item," I do care and it does diminish what I have if everybody else also has it. Not everybody should have everything.