Creating your best build (not a tutorial)

Is there a site where I can plug in what class I'm playing and the weapons I want to use to show a list of builds I would benefit from.I use Snow Crows and Metabattle as primary sources for finding great builds that have been tested and graded by players.

However, I'm a primary PvE player who may just like to look of the axe over mace or dagger over sword for my character. Or I have just crafted an Ascended/Legendary weapon I want to max out using, but the build doesn't call for that weapon. At that point I'm more into the roleplaying/costume of the character, but I still want a build that doesn't suck or get me killed all the time.

@"Game of Bones.8975" said:Is there a site where I can plug in what class I'm playing and the weapons I want to use to show a list of builds I would benefit from.I use Snow Crows and Metabattle as primary sources for finding great builds that have been tested and graded by players.

However, I'm a primary PvE player who may just like to look of the axe over mace or dagger over sword for my character. Or I have just crafted an Ascended/Legendary weapon I want to max out using, but the build doesn't call for that weapon. At that point I'm more into the roleplaying/costume of the character, but I still want a build that doesn't suck or get me killed all the time.

Metabattle and raid sites focus on best builds and thus it's nigh impossible to find pre-made builds with alternative weapon combos though Kitty's done good bunch of rota/damage testing on less optimal variations, too. If you don't like metabuilds, gotta usually build your own but for that, it's good to first learn how metabuilds work in general and figure if the weapons are condi or power-based to modify the metabuilds to weapons of your preference. If you'd like some help with crafting some particular build, please mention the weapons and class here.For Kitty's test videos from a year ago, https://youtube.com/kittymarks

There's not really a site that will work in the way you describe.

It however, is not particularly hard to create builds that don't suck.

It's really a simple checklist of:

• What is the damage type of the weapon? Power or Condi?
  • Copy/Paste the meta build for that damage type.

Voila, you have a non-sucky build for your off-meta weapon.

Maybe you swap out a weapon specific trait that won't benefit you. But that's about it.

There's not really a whole lot of depth in builds, the traits for a damage type are easy to figure out what is best. Then weapon choices in meta builds will just be the most effective available for that damage type on that class. There's few builds that hinge around specifically a weapon type since there's few traits that are that niche and most weapons for a class tend to share a theme (Such as Guardian creates Symbols with every one of their weapons, Mesmer has a skill that creates Clones and Phantasms on every weapon set etc)

It doesn't take too long just using the wiki to come up with a build to support a chosen profession and weapon(s). As already stated, figure out whether it is power or condition focused, then read through the traits on the wiki, making notes of the ones of interest. I word it that way since, as you stated, this is for open world and so doesn't have to be optimal. So there may be "fun" choices included over what may be a better DPS choice. Once I've noted the traits of interest, then I pick the 3 lines that look the best, considering synergies.

Then it's the armor, runes and sigils, if you're going to be using such to match the build.

It really doesn't take long and gets easier the more you fiddle with it.

I've found this site to be very useful for buildcrafting/theorycrafting: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/You need to have an idea of what you want to achieve, but all the stat options, runes, sigils etc are there to choose from. You can also choose which game mode, as some traits and skills work differently in competitive environments (Mirage only having one dodge in wvw, for example). You can also get a chatlink to copy your build into your acct-build storage or a tab on your character. What it won't do, however, is give you any sort of skill rotation or usage priority.

@"Funky.4861" said:I've found this site to be very useful for buildcrafting/theorycrafting: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/You need to have an idea of what you want to achieve, but all the stat options, runes, sigils etc are there to choose from. You can also choose which game mode, as some traits and skills work differently in competitive environments (Mirage only having one dodge in wvw, for example). You can also get a chatlink to copy your build into your acct-build storage or a tab on your character. What it won't do, however, is give you any sort of skill rotation or usage priority.

Someone sent me an ingame chat about that same site. I played around with it and certainly looks promising.

Only thing what I want to say is that while many internet character class builds may be very helpfull. But in my opinion they are missing one important thing. What is that all players don't play classes same ways. I mean, you can example build elementalist for close combat, because player likes to play close combat. Other player likes to play more from distant, so many class build would reflect that. There is no correct build, just best for you own playing style, what can be totally different from some others.

In some cases I have sen people saying that class sucks, because that and that. When you look situation from your own perspective, it sucks because that player did not know how to even play that class. They tried to play it like some other class. My point is that take succestion and some help advices what is offered, but in the end you need to build any class to way you self like it. If you choose to play class what doesn't fit you wanted playing style, the class will not feel good.