Unpopular opinion: Icebrood Saga is bad

Clyan.1593

Based on the parts of the game that I have played, I think that the story was the weakest part of the original game. The beginning wasn't too bad but parts of the story in Orr were boring and felt repetitive. But I guess it's rare to find a game that does every aspect well these days anyway.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:B. All species in fiction are based off of humanity. They are already humanized simply by being sentient species because humans only know of human existence so the only thing we have to base fictional species on is humanity.

That is an excuse to explain writers having no imagination. They can be based more or less on humans but they don't need to act like humans in every way. Of course, i don't think any writer of game stories even tries. Humanize every race and every villain for instant success without any effort, guaranteed.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:But see that is what A-net is doing. Humanizing them to make them "Relatable" and people like them because of what they are, not because of what they could be. We love the charr because they are as they are... I don't want humanized versions of the races. But that is the narrative that A-net is choosing to follow. Bangar and Smodur at the only charr acting like charr.... the rest are... well.... kinda... humanish.

Indeed. I haven't played trough the story on my charr yet but i can already guess that when you drop that bomb into that bunker they too start sobbing for the enemy, like Rytlock. Unbelievable.

@Yggranya.5201 said:That is an excuse to explain writers having no imagination. They can be based more or less on humans but they don't need to act like humans in every way. Of course, i don't think any writer of game stories even tries. Humanize every race and every villain for instant success without any effort, guaranteed.None of the non-human species act like humans in every single way to begin with.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:But see that is what A-net is doing. Humanizing them to make them "Relatable" and people like them because of what they are, not because of what they could be. We love the charr because they are as they are... I don't want humanized versions of the races. But that is the narrative that A-net is choosing to follow. Bangar and Smodur at the only charr acting like charr.... the rest are... well.... kinda... humanish.I can't buy this argument, for one simple reason. Its the exact same argument people try to use on the Klingons in Star Trek, and its just as invalid of an argument here as it is there.

People try to bemoan any instance of Klingons not being "blood for the blood god!" warriors, and say that it "isn't Klingon" to not act that way, but the Star Trek TV shows and movies have shown us Klingons in the roles of doctors, scientists, farmers, lawyers, etc. etc. And OFC it would. Even if a society was largely based on war, all of these things would still be necessary for that society to function in the first place. Without them, said society would still be stuck in the stone ages, if not having completely destroyed itself. Likewise, we see plenty of Charr who are just fine running bars, being farmers, and joining the priory to learn new things... because all of these things would be necessary for a functional society to exist at all.

Likewise, even among the part of the Klingon population that IS warrior based, there is a wide range of opinions on what being the best, or most honorable, warrior really means. Some Klingons are perfectly fine with annihilating entire planets, and using cloaking devices, while others find such actions completely dishonorable, and un-warrior like. Likewise, Charr too have a wide range of what they find acceptable, the Flame Legion finds it ok to use magic on the battlefield, while the other Legions don't, Ash prefers to sneak around, while blood and Iron prefer more up close and direct combat. Smodur and Bangar act no more or less "like Charr" then any other Charr in the Icebrood saga because the Charr aren't some monolithic hive mind species, where everyone has the same opinion on everything. They are a species of individuals with thoughts and opinions. The same can be said for the Norn as well.

Ultimately, your argument comes down to you saying that its bad that Anet gave the races depth, instead of making them one dimensional cartoon "planet of hats" caricatures. And, at that point, I would say that you never really liked the Norn or Charr at all, you only liked one aspect of them, but otherwise didn't like them as a whole.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:

Ultimately, your argument comes down to you saying that its bad that Anet gave the races depth, instead of making them one dimensional cartoon "planet of hats" caricatures. And, at that point, I would say that you never really liked the Norn or Charr at all, you only liked one aspect of them, but otherwise didn't like them as a whole.

I think what you're missing about the "humanizing" arguments is the objection to why the spectrum of values demonstrated by other species is constantly made to have the same centering as one might expect of humanity. Sure, Smodur and Bangar would be well out of the norm in a human (especially our IRL human) society - but why not have that sort of view be less extremist and more widely acceptable according to Charr norms?

In other words, it's not so much that ANet gave the other races "depth" itself, but that it's turning out as "depth like humans."

@voltaicbore.8012 said:Sure, Smodur and Bangar would be well out of the norm in a human (especially our IRL human) society - but why not have that sort of view be less extremist and more widely acceptable according to Charr norms?Because extremist values like Bangar's and Smodur's aren't sustainable(hence the constant, and consistant, collapse of organizations using them). If the actions of Bangar and Smodur were the norm in the Charr, the Charr would still be, at best, beating sticks together at a level akin to the Grawl. At worst, they would have already driven themselves to extinction through genocidal warfare.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:B. All species in fiction are based off of humanity. They are already humanized simply by being sentient species because humans only know of human existence so the only thing we have to base fictional species on is humanity.

That is not entirely true, however I'm quite sure that it is the case for most fictional creatures.In the book "Solaris" Lem very intriguingly describes an alien creature that is beyond human understanding.[spoilerS!]The study of that creature is a focal point of the story, but since communication is impossible and the creature's behavior seems lacking any recognizable logic, at least from a human standpoint, it becomes obvious very early on, that there is no real way of gaining any meaningful insights. And so all left is a simple and naive fascination of that "thing" you only can have scientific theories about - of which there are many.[spoilerS END]Though I don't think most players expect ANet to create a story that complex or philosophically demanding and it's not what I meant when I said that I find Icebrood Saga's story boring, for me it's just too romantic, too "hollywood" if I may say so. It's designed like a movie rather than like a historical event within a fictional world. It's too much based on what should happen to further the narrative instead of enriching the world and its lore. Most of what happens around that narrative is based off of the narrative itself; the Tengu book in drizzlewood coast is based on Bangar and his legion invading their land. But there is barely anything historical inherent to the land itself. Nor do we see anything happen that isn't linked to the narrative itself, like for example a little girl having lost her flute by a nearby river...

Player here since Tyria in GW1... I agree the story has really gone downhill. It started showing with the last couple of episodes of LS4 and has accelerated since. Icebrood Saga plus the crazy mirage nerfs in Feb has just been too much of a letdown for me - to the point I'm not even motivated to do daily logins anymore. This from GW2 being my go-to game and main form of gaming entertainment since GW2's launch. Even the insane loots of the recent map cannot get me back and I was a die hard-pve mat farmer. As I've thumbed for other comments above, I feel the studio and personnel problems have really affected the quality of this game. If ANET's got something left in their sails, I hope its being used for the next expac.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:

I think what you're missing about the "humanizing" arguments is the objection to why the spectrum of values demonstrated by other species is constantly made to have the same centering as one might expect of humanity. Sure, Smodur and Bangar would be well out of the norm in a human (especially our IRL human) society - but why not have that sort of view be less extremist and more widely acceptable according to Charr norms?

In other words, it's not so much that ANet gave the other races "depth" itself, but that it's turning out as "depth like humans."

Indeed. But i have come to expect nothing else, just look at any game story really. Soon the dragons will turn to humans too so these people can "relate" to them or whatever it is.Anet is pointing right that way with these living world stories, just need to make it explicit. Soon enough i'm sure.

@"Clyan.1593" said:Though I don't think most players expect ANet to create a story that complex or philosophically demandingThat kind of story is neither complex, nor philosophically demanding, its just crappy Lovecraftian copy-paste nonsense that allows you to get out of actually having to WRITE by simply saying "its beyond your understanding!"

Any idiot can make something seem deeper then it actually is by putting nothing where people expect something. Look at the ending to the movie Inception, people spent FOREVER pointlessly arguing if the spinning top was going to fall or not, indicating if he was in a dream or not, but the real answer is that there is no answer, and thus, and debate about it is pointless, since there is literally NOTHING there to actually debate. Exploiting people's desire for information, by giving them none of it, and them letting them make things up for you, isn't good writing, its just a cheap mental trick.

Most of what happens around that narrative is based off of the narrative itself; the Tengu book in drizzlewood coast is based on Bangar and his legion invading their land. But there is barely anything historical inherent to the land itself. Nor do we see anything happen that isn't linked to the narrative itself, like for example a little girl having lost her flute by a nearby river...Who would have guessed that a super remote area that barely anyone lives in has little to no history beyond it exists. Its almost like real life or something.

As for your comment about non-war related things going on in Drizzlewood, who would have guessed that after most people either fled, or got killed, by Bangar's army, there wouldn't be a ton of side stories about random people losing flutes by rivers. Ironically, you complain about the narrative being too "Hollywood" like, but then go on to suggest narratives you would only see in some Hollywood B-movie war story. "Little girl is hiding away from the big badguys all by herself,despite it not making any sense in the situation, but shes lost her favorite toy bear, and at some point in the movie the brave solider finds the bear, and the movie ends with a touchy feely scene of the soldier giving her back her bear!" thats the kind of low rate garbage I would be glad to avoid thank you.

@HotDelirium.7984 said:

Not the mention some of the mount masteries. The extra endurance one is good but is irrelevant to springer. The linking vitality one is not great also because the mount doesn't have the same stats as you so that vitality goes down fast and then your downed so the risk isn't worth it so I never use it.

They SAID they could revamp old maps....well here we are. Do it.

Now is the time for them to redirect their resources to old content updates since they can't bring voice actors in for new content due to covid-19.

FFXIV story is great. Not sure what you're smoking.

The only reason the game even exists to this day is because it's carried by its story.

@battledrone.8315 said:you have lego characters

Which characters are "Lego"?

@battledrone.8315 said:i would also claim, that progression is broken, since you can learn EVERYTHING on one toon

How is being able to do everything on one character "Broken progression"?

You still level everything up from level 1, nothing is shared exp (Except Summoner/Scholar which was a mistake)

How is that any different to rolling 100 characters each having 1 class and 2 professions like most other MMO's?

If anything the progression is broken because gear progression is absolute tripe, with crafted gear being better quality than what you get from Raids and is easier to obtain, not timegated (Unlike raid gear which you can only get 1 token from each boss per week and gear requires 2-4 tokens per piece of gear) and each new tier of crafted gear is released alongside each new raid tier. Which ultimately makes running content utterly worthless and makes the best way to gear up your character is to not fight anything and just craft gear.

most of the story in the start is done with monologues by ONE CHARACTER IN A SMALL DESERT VILLAGE, THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO EVERY TIMEAFTER A QUEST. that got old REALLY fast.lego characters are the princess and her bodyguard in the very start of the game, you do realize, that such creatures couldnt survive, right?with a HEAD, THAT IS BIGGER , THAN THE BODY AND LEGS COMBINED. throw in the cartoon network voices, and we have a winnera good mage needs to put most points in intelligence, reading books and studying all the timea good warrior needs stamina and strength, training and working outhow many professors have you seen with six packs ? YOU CANT DO BOTH!

If you really think that short = can't survive then i assume that you also hate asura? Of course, if the size of the a creatures body was what equals their strength and resilience, it wouldn't matter if you were asura or norn, you would get flattened by the giant monsters regardless.

Also, on the "realism", the only good thing in FFXIV is that you can play all classes with one character, the stats are more fluff than anything else. After all, on the main character, your character, when you get better at fighting than everyone else, it is because he/she is an idiot savant, not that they are actually good at it. Look at the stories in games and realise that a moron couldn't possibly be good at anything, so all that is left is that they are a "chosen one" and that is why they get power although they don't deserve it.

@battledrone.8315 said:FF story is awful

The only reason the game even exists to this day is because it's carried by its story.

@battledrone.8315 said:i would also claim, that progression is broken, since you can learn EVERYTHING on one toon

You still level everything up from level 1, nothing is shared exp (Except Summoner/Scholar which was a mistake)

How is that any different to rolling 100 characters each having 1 class and 2 professions like most other MMO's?

If anything the progression is broken because gear progression is absolute tripe, with crafted gear being better quality than what you get from Raids and is easier to obtain, not timegated (Unlike raid gear which you can only get 1 token from each boss per week and gear requires 2-4 tokens per piece of gear) and each new tier of crafted gear is released alongside each new raid tier. Which ultimately makes running content utterly worthless and makes the best way to gear up your character is to not fight anything and just craft gear.

most of the story in the start is done with monologues by ONE CHARACTER IN A SMALL DESERT VILLAGE, THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO EVERY TIMEAFTER A QUEST. that got old REALLY fast.lego characters are the princess and her bodyguard in the very start of the game, you do realize, that such creatures couldnt survive, right?with a HEAD, THAT IS BIGGER , THAN THE BODY AND LEGS COMBINED. throw in the cartoon network voices, and we have a winnera good mage needs to put most points in intelligence, reading books and studying all the timea good warrior needs stamina and strength, training and working outhow many professors have you seen with six packs ? YOU CANT DO BOTH!

If you really think that short = can't survive then i assume that you also hate asura? Of course, if the size of the a creatures body was what equals their strength and resilience, it wouldn't matter if you were asura or norn, you would get flattened by the giant monsters regardless.

Also, on the "realism", the only good thing in FFXIV is that you can play all classes with one character, the stats are more fluff than anything else. After all, on the main character, your character, when you get better at fighting than everyone else, it is because he/she is an idiot savant, not that they are actually good at it. Look at the stories in games and realise that a moron couldn't possibly be good at anything, so all that is left is that they are a "chosen one" and that is why they get power although they don't deserve it.

have you ever been in a REAL fight? OF COURSE SIZE MATTERS, pretty much EVERY martial arts is divided by GENDER and WEIGHTasura have TECHNOLOGY to help them too, it is pretty much the foundation of their societyyes , every time i see one of those giant boss monsters, i lose all immersion i had. wow wasnt so bad in that regard, specially not in the older xpacsbeing the "chosen one" ruins the foundation of RPG, why would they pick someone with the WRONG SKILLS?and if you , by some miracle, already have all the right skills, then you cant change them again (if you want to keep the status of being "chosen")

Size matters just in real life, dummy. In tyria it doesn't matter if it's a norn or asura who hits a dragon, unless they are empowered by something or someone and/or have some super weapon, You know "chosen one" if empowered, depends with the super weapon.

then why have those giant dragons in the first place? if a small one can do the same? a small one is cheaper and faster to make, much easier to hidewhy use a staff, when you can just wiggle a small twig super fast?why have airships, if an asura can just strap a piano on the back and move it that wayif size didnt matter, then knockback shouldnt be possible either.the world has to make sense, and it doesnt , if you just disable the laws of physics

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Clyan.1593" said:Though I don't think most players expect ANet to create a story that complex or philosophically demandingThat kind of story is neither complex, nor philosophically demanding, its just crappy Lovecraftian copy-paste nonsense that allows you to get out of actually having to WRITE by simply saying "its beyond your understanding!"

Lem and Lovecraft have nothing to do with each other in the slightest, and comparing them doesn't give you much credibility.And simply because you can't grasp something doesn't mean that there is "nothing". Really you're just trying to act hard and smart by ridiculing others to compensate for your lack of insight.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:Look at the ending to the movie Inception, people spent FOREVER pointlessly arguing if the spinning top was going to fall or not, indicating if he was in a dream or not, but the real answer is that there is no answer, and thus, and debate about it is pointless, since there is literally NOTHING there to actually debate.

It's called a metaphor and of course you can endlessly argue over something if you don't understand it.The point is that to Cobb reality and dream have become the same; unlike the people from The Matrix, he doesn't care anymore. It's a statement about his final stance in the movie.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:Who would have guessed that a super remote area that barely anyone lives in has little to no history beyond it exists. Its almost like real life or something.

Just that it isn't "super remote" at all. There are human settlements and a tribe of Tengu lived there before too. Goro's Journal underlines this. On the coast side there even is a lighttower. And yet we have no historical context for it. It's as if all of it suddenly popped into existence over night.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:Ironically, you complain about the narrative being too "Hollywood" like, but then go on to suggest narratives you would only see in some Hollywood B-movie war story. "Little girl is hiding away from the big badguys all by herself,despite it not making any sense in the situation, but shes lost her favorite toy bear, and at some point in the movie the brave solider finds the bear, and the movie ends with a touchy feely scene of the soldier giving her back her bear!" thats the kind of low rate garbage I would be glad to avoid thank you.

The girl and flute thing was a hint at young Gwen's quest in GW1 and I didn't give any suggestion for how to execute these sidequests. It's again just you assuming too much and thinking you somehow are a step ahead of everything.

have you ever been in a REAL fight? OF COURSE SIZE MATTERS, pretty much EVERY martial arts is divided by GENDER and WEIGHTasura have TECHNOLOGY to help them too, it is pretty much the foundation of their societyyes , every time i see one of those giant boss monsters, i lose all immersion i had. wow wasnt so bad in that regard, specially not in the older xpacsbeing the "chosen one" ruins the foundation of RPG, why would they pick someone with the WRONG SKILLS?and if you , by some miracle, already have all the right skills, then you cant change them again (if you want to keep the status of being "chosen")

Size matters just in real life, dummy. In tyria it doesn't matter if it's a norn or asura who hits a dragon, unless they are empowered by something or someone and/or have some super weapon, You know "chosen one" if empowered, depends with the super weapon.

then why have those giant dragons in the first place? if a small one can do the same? a small one is cheaper and faster to make, much easier to hidewhy use a staff, when you can just wiggle a small twig super fast?why have airships, if an asura can just strap a piano on the back and move it that wayif size didnt matter, then knockback shouldnt be possible either.the world has to make sense, and it doesnt , if you just disable the laws of physics

I have to ask, what?If you want realism in any game you are going to have a bad time. Consistency in any story should be the norm but we are way past that in most game stories or stories in general.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@voltaicbore.8012 said:Sure, Smodur and Bangar would be well out of the norm in a human (especially our IRL human) society - but why not have that sort of view be less extremist and more widely acceptable according to Charr norms?Because extremist values like Bangar's and Smodur's aren't sustainable(hence the constant, and consistant, collapse of organizations using them). If the actions of Bangar and Smodur were the norm in the Charr, the Charr would still be, at best, beating sticks together at a level akin to the Grawl. At worst, they would have already driven themselves to extinction through genocidal warfare.

This is i think is the most important part. The only way for some extremist/violent ideas in regards to human vision make sense is if the race that has them can generate enough babies so live becomes cheap.

though a think which is more humanizing the char which i think reasonable to find unnecessary is the small line where in grothamar the child teacher talks about how parents sometimes come check out their childeren.

I have to ask, what?If you want realism in any game you are going to have a bad time. Consistency in any story should be the norm but we are way past that in most game stories or stories in general.

i DONT want realism...i want FUN and CONSISTENCY. this is neither. dodging the 27th mine, or killing the nth add isnt fun in boss battles,it is just waste of time. open world mobs at least give some form of loot.

@Clyan.1593 said:The first map was great, apart from that I personally see not much good in the Saga.

have recently come back to the game to finally resume the story and this is what i felt as well (well i did login each time a new episode was released just to get each for free)

finished ep1 and got to ep2 and kinda got bored and just went back to doing meta events on the older maps that i miss doing.

i DONT want realism...i want FUN and CONSISTENCY. this is neither. dodging the 27th mine, or killing the nth add isnt fun in boss battles,it is just waste of time. open world mobs at least give some form of loot.

So, "it isn't fun, but more stuff will do"? You should start raiding.

nope. i wont even try. i can raid in other games though, if theyre casual enough.i gave one of the strikes a shot, it was pretty much as i expected...certainly not for me

nope. i wont even try. i can raid in other games though, if theyre casual enough.i gave one of the strikes a shot, it was pretty much as i expected...certainly not for me

Was that boneskinner or whisper of jormag by any chance?

If so give the others a shot they are lower difficulty.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:This is the problem with being of one of the most catered to demographics, the moment a content provider decides to notice an underserved demographic, the overserved fail to recognise the difference between personal taste and objectivity. The Icebrood Saga is good for those whom it appeals to, those who enjoy mystery and intrigue rather than everything being a murderfest. I feel that No Quarter was a bone thrown to the overserved, but overall the Icebrood Saga is meant for other costumers. I mean, I'm a whale, I can pay anywhere up to a thousand dollars a month on GW2 because it occasionally caters to me, and there are others like me, so we're a very profitable group.

I feel that the Icebrood Saga is ArenaNet acknowledging that. The thing is is that overserved demographics can just decide to go anywhere else. Everything appeals to them. I see Final Fantasy XIV and The Old Republic mentioned above and that's exactly what I mean. If GW2 doesn't appeal to them then they can just go to other games, this also means that the overserved demographics don't feel as compelled to financially support any of the games they play. That's fine, it's a valid attitude to have when everything appeals to you, but it doesn't exactly make overserved demographics popular. In fact, if you can consolidate enough underserved demographics and cater to them, it can be more profitable overall for the aforementioned reason.

I feel... I admit, weirdly targeted by The Icebrood Saga in a way no game ever has managed to before. It's compelling. A story where we might redeem a dragon rather than give into toxic masculinity and fling our phalluses at it until it gets slain to sate our manhood? Yes. Please. And. Thank. You. I like dragons. I like stories about redeeming and healing dragons. Jormag is a healer, who's very misunderstood. This appeals to me. Tales of mystery and intrigue appeal to me. And there's been a strong undercurrent of neurodiversity and mental health that's been there since definitely around LWS4 if not earlier. It's just now coming more to the forefront.

I like that Bangar is being used to tackle racism. I like that the humans are aiding the charr against Bangar and his rebels. I'm kind of tired of the Ascalonian perspective of hating people just for playing charr, it's old and tired, it doesn't really belong here. You were upset about the Searing, we get it, please get over it. It's been how many years now? How many decades?? The story with Bangar is necessary to make a point about in-Universe bigotry and why it has no place in Guild Wars 2. It's meant to make bigots feel uncomfortable and I'm glad it's happening. And despite how much I love the charr, I don't mind at all that they're using the charr to tell this story as no one's perfect. So I'm hoping it'll teach a few needed lessons or at least serve to alienate the more toxic elements of the community, though I don't think we have many left.

The point is? Sure, the Icebrood Saga isn't aimed at you. That doesn't make it bad. It just means that you've been overserved and now it's someone else's turn. You could be happy for those who enjoy it?

Wait, this is supposed to make people who have an Ascalonian perspective feel bad?

I don't know about you, but between Smodur gunning down his own troops and Bangar being Bangar, I feel quite vindicated. :P

@"Hypnowulf.7403" said:You were upset about the Searing, we get it, please get over it. It's been how many years now? How many decades?? The story with Bangar is necessary to make a point about in-Universe bigotry and why it has no place in Guild Wars 2. It's meant to make bigots feel uncomfortable and I'm glad it's happening.

For someone throwing about terms like toxic masculinity, "get over it" seems like an incredibly selective and cavalier attitude to take towards the literal burning of your entire region and way of life, not to mention permanent displacement and refugee status.

Then again, this kind of historical insensitivity and selective application of values is part and parcel of... "allies" who tend to speak the way you do. I'm not saying that holding onto a near pathological hatred of another group is a healthy thing, but it's never an outsider's place to say "get over it" to a vicitmized people, ever. "Get over it" is extremely offensive to me as a concept - it's literally an attempt to appropriate another person/group's rage, the epitome of patronizing "we get to tell you how to feel." Who are you - nay, who is ANYONE - to say that?