Question: what class/profession is "good" at the moment?

Jonat.5963

Been a lot of years since the last time I played GW2 and with everything that's happening with the covid virus I thought to come back to the game to enjoy for a while but everything is different. Literally after reading some comments in the forums, and a lot talking about the "big popular nerf" It's seems the only good professions are guardian and ranger, meanwhile the rest are marked like.

Thief = trashMesmer = trashWarrior = sucksEngineer = badNecromancer = badRevenant = decentElementalist = decent

This is very discouraging, especially since depending of the class you are not wanted in raids or events.So basically I would like to ask. Which professions is the P2W, "good and powerfull", no one hates and have "developer power"?

Guardian is pretty good at everything and from what I can gather, has been for a while.

Elementalist is good in all game modes and in most roles (It can't provide Quickness or Alacrity boons to fill in for part of the Firebrigade combo).

Revenant is also good at everything, though the Hammer nerfs make it a lot less fun to play in WvW (Generally making you just a boonbot)

Engineer is good. It is strong in PvP with Holo, strong in WvW with Scrapper being the best support in the game for that mode with PvE being decent.

Ranger is good, but still kind of meh in WvW due to pets getting insta-deleted by AoE's.

Thief is still very good in PvP and roaming in WvW, but it still sucks in blobs and is unremarkable in PvE.

Necro is great in PvP and WvW. It just sucks in PvE.

Warrior is good in PvE and decent in WvW but sucks in PvP.

Mesmer is trash in PvP and WvW but is decent in PvE (Though, less fun to play with than Firebrigade because wells are awful)

Basically, if you want the class that seems to be the favourite of ANet, that'd be Guardian. They do everything (Power DPS, Condi DPS, Boonbot, Healer, PvP, WvW, PvE) to a high standard.

However, Elementalist, Revenant and Engineer are also good in multiple roles (Power DPS, Condi DPS, Support, PvP, WvW, PvE) at least for now.

While Ranger, Thief, Necro and Warrior are good in most areas but can be lacking in some modes and builds.

Mesmer is just trash. It sucks and it's not fun to play because a bunch of the nerfs ANet gave to them were also QoL crippling changes (One dodge for Mirage, a dodge based E-Spec, in PvP/WvW and Chrono's new Shatters being trash and losing Distortion as well as the loss of self shatter)

• Thanks 1

ENGIE?? BAD??? In WvW and PvE seems not. I literally nuke mobs playing rifle holo. RIFLE.NECRO? BAD? I stomp mobs in PvE just spamming 1 greatsword, shroud with a full berserk set. Both specs are powered.Always considered mesmer/warrior meh but that's because Idon't know how to play them.ELEM is pretty good, playing dagger weaver.GUARDIAN is good. Pretty good. I'm just little weak with my dragonhunter bow. But greatsword or sword or shield is strong.RANGER? I never knew how to play it, always deleted associated toons: Druid is trash apart heal. Soulbeast: Don't even understand the purpose. Only pew pew bow...I'm skeptical about thieves too. Daggers only? Daredavil seems ok too.

Dude you can literally solo champs with double pistol CORE thief on FULL berserker gear. Double daggers are full evade and condi basedDaredevil is very good tho. Idk your standards of whhat is good and what is bad lolHolo and daredevil have insane burstsRevenant isnt good at ranged attacksMesmer is trash? Seriously? Chrono is the meta tank in raidsIt also has highest dps bench marksIn pvp it has good builds and can oneshotWarrior can dps both condi and power in a decent amount and it has BS role in raids that is one of the primary rolesNecro is doomintaing pvpReaper has awesome cleave dmg and it is a medicore dps in raids and its acceptableScourge is a meta healer in some strikes and raids tooRev is also just good at pvpIn instanced content it is just renegade providing alac or a condi build it hasWhere did u get your informations dude

• 3 weeks later...

@"Jonat.5963" said:Been a lot of years since the last time I played GW2 and with everything that's happening with the covid virus I thought to come back to the game to enjoy for a while but everything is different. Literally after reading some comments in the forums, and a lot talking about the "big popular nerf" It's seems the only good professions are guardian and ranger, meanwhile the rest are marked like.

Thief = trashMesmer = trashWarrior = sucksEngineer = badNecromancer = badRevenant = decentElementalist = decent

This is very discouraging, especially since depending of the class you are not wanted in raids or events.So basically I would like to ask. Which professions is the P2W, "good and powerfull", no one hates and have "developer power"?

I wouldn't go based on the forums, they are excessively negative here.. most of these players are new as well and don't know how to play their MAIN class let alone give commentary on others. All classes are in decent spots with viable builds for all game modes, just things like guard and rev have more options and are often required in all.

what class/profession is "good" at the moment?

It depend on what criteria and gamemode you base yourself. In general all professions have their own set of issues and "balance" in this game don't really fix the issues, it just cover them with stuff that can potentially create more issues.

The rift between how PvE and PvP/WvW work don't help with balance either. Some in game mechanisms are very effective against players and totally ineffective against boss mobs for example. How they even expect to be able to balance professions with mere number tweaks when such discrepancy exist in the game is the bigest mistery of this game.

@Strider.7849 said:

@"Jonat.5963" said:Been a lot of years since the last time I played GW2 and with everything that's happening with the covid virus I thought to come back to the game to enjoy for a while but everything is different. Literally after reading some comments in the forums, and a lot talking about the "big popular nerf" It's seems the only good professions are guardian and ranger, meanwhile the rest are marked like.

I wouldn't go based on the forums, they are excessively negative here.. most of these players are new as well and don't know how to play their MAIN class let alone give commentary on others. All classes are in decent spots with viable builds for all game modes, just things like guard and rev have more options and are often required in all.

I am pretty sure allot of that negativeity is constructive from someone who has been playing 5 years off and on, where else can you get answers? Certainly not in game like you can in a forum.

• 1 month later...

@"Jonat.5963" said:Which professions is the P2W, "good and powerfull", no one hates and have "developer power"?

most probably the best advice is to visit websites providing you meta buildsdepending on your game mode and your playstyle professions will appeal to you or not

my opinion as a wvw player :

• elementalist (the class I play the most), as a celestial tempest + water + arcane with a staff : most versatile class to play, I appreciate a lot to be able to deal damage on areas (air overload, air or fire), have a great mobility (lightning flash, mist form), some cc (air, earth), and decent heal (air overload, water)
  • necro powercurses is great, i also play a lot that build as a pure meta one
  • guardian : i dont like much firebrand, am trying the celestial dragonhunter, its okay but bow should be stronger for an elite(!) class
  • warrior : some interesting damages on melee but range is not good, overall a bit boring
  • ranger : many rangers are present in wvw at the moment, because you can pewpew with the highest range (1500) and hitting mobility (you can move while shooting), seems to be considered for easyness. damages are not good. pet is mostly annoying. mobility for escaping and survivability is VERY low. you die a lot. good to tag/finish opponents behind the blob tail. well played, can be very annoying in pvp
  • rogue : deadeye requires to be static for 1500 range, the class is very vulnerable, and no raid leader wants any rogue to my knowledge (not possible to survive packed against a strong raid). this is the gank/roaming class. best mobility (much better than any other class), and STEALTH
  • mesmer is highly useful in wvw because of its specific mechanisms (tp, veil). you need voicechat to get synced with your lead

i may try some day other classes but my short attempts were very boring

People who focus on just one (or two, or three) professions tend to exaggerate how bad their profession is and how good their rivals are. This isn't even necessarily out of being duplicitous - if you don't play a profession, it is easy to be ignorant of that profession's weaknesses while being all too familiar with its strengths.

It also depends on context. For example, last I checked, the sPvP meta was basically necromancers, engineers, elementalists, and thieves. The latter two basically make it in because they perform useful roles (thieves are the best roamers, tempests took over from firebrands as the best support due to the latter being nerfed). For other roles... well played necros and engis with the right builds can roll over pretty much anyone.

For high end instanced PvE, the most in-demand professions tend to be the heavy professions (although warriors are mostly wanted for banners), rangers, and mesmers. Holosmiths have worked their way back back into DPS roles due to some recent buffs. Other professions tend to be brought for specific utilities rather than being a staple of team setups (although elementalists are pretty good in DPS and heal support and are perfectly viable, they're just not considered optimal).

Solo PvE has its own considerations - for instance, necromancers are fairly strong there for basically the same reason that they're weak in high end instanced PvE (they're good at buffing themselves up, which means they're good on their own, but don't benefit from team boons as much as other professions).

WvW has its own distribution of which professions are good and which are... not so useful, but I don't play that mode enough to really comment.

Ultimately, though, it depends in part on format. That said, there are some professions such as guardian that are always at least decently solid, if not always as powerful as people claim, and others that swing from being god-tier to being trash-tier from one balance patch to another.

Guardian: strong in pve, wvw zerging and PvP, good enough for roamingWarri: good in pve, decent to trash in pvp, has its place in wvw zergingEle: strong in pve, best Support in pvp and strong Support/dps in wvwRev: strong in all game typesNecro: not so great in pve, strong teamfighter in pvp and strong zerg dps, gets outclassed in Roaming If you dont run bunker coreEngi: good in pve, s+ Tier in pvp, strong Support/dps Option in zergs good at RoamingThief: good pve dps, good roamer in pvp Games, ultra busted in wvw roaming/ganking rather weak in zergs (still playable as dps though)Mesmer: strong in pve, kinda okish in pvp, strong zerg Support with massive boon rips/CCRanger: strong in pve, strong PvP sidenoder, noobfriendly roaming pick and has a niche role as immob spam dps in zergs though not 100% needed

Tbh rn every class is atleast viable everywhere. Take the crying with a grain of Salt.

@Sarlan.7682 said:Guardian: strong in pve, wvw zerging and PvP, good enough for roamingWarri: good in pve, decent to trash in pvp, has its place in wvw zergingEle: strong in pve, best Support in pvp and strong Support/dps in wvwRev: strong in all game typesNecro: not so great in pve, strong teamfighter in pvp and strong zerg dps, gets outclassed in Roaming If you dont run bunker coreEngi: good in pve, s+ Tier in pvp, strong Support/dps Option in zergs good at RoamingThief: good pve dps, good roamer in pvp Games, ultra busted in wvw roaming/ganking rather weak in zergs (still playable as dps though)Mesmer: strong in pve, kinda okish in pvp, strong zerg Support with massive boon rips/CCRanger: strong in pve, strong PvP sidenoder, noobfriendly roaming pick and has a niche role as immob spam dps in zergs though not 100% needed

Tbh rn every class is atleast viable everywhere. Take the crying with a grain of Salt.

@Sarlan.7682 said:Guardian: strong in pve, wvw zerging and PvP, good enough for roamingWarri: good in pve, decent to trash in pvp, has its place in wvw zergingEle: strong in pve, best Support in pvp and strong Support/dps in wvwRev: strong in all game typesNecro: not so great in pve, strong teamfighter in pvp and strong zerg dps, gets outclassed in Roaming If you dont run bunker coreEngi: good in pve, s+ Tier in pvp, strong Support/dps Option in zergs good at RoamingThief: good pve dps, good roamer in pvp Games, ultra busted in wvw roaming/ganking rather weak in zergs (still playable as dps though)Mesmer: strong in pve, kinda okish in pvp, strong zerg Support with massive boon rips/CCRanger: strong in pve, strong PvP sidenoder, noobfriendly roaming pick and has a niche role as immob spam dps in zergs though not 100% needed

If elementalist is strong in PVE, why I rarely see one in raid/fractal? So far I have not seen anyone else playing 100cm using condition weaver except myself. Most people are just using condition firebrand/Mirage/Soulbeast.Power weaver is ok but reward/risk ratio is very low unless you play with people you know. You have close to 0 self boon and very dependent on quickness/alacrity. Even so, holosmith is better for higher burst (in raid scenario) and sustain, which I really enjoy.Heal tempest lacks group stability/resistance/quickness. A firebrand can provide every boon except alacrity.

Every other class is compensated for having low HP. Theif has stealth/evade, Guardian has a lot of aegis/block, Mesmer has block/evade/stealth. Elementalist has close to zero block /stealth and also being the light armor.(Look at Arcane shield utility skill, which has 40 seconds cd while "shield of wrath" from guardian has 35 seconds cd and being a blast and weapon skill)

Necro is strong in PVE for most people, except "speedrun team" like LuckyNoobs/Snowcrows. Heal scourge can carry a team, and reaper has very good self-boon and burst and self-sustain. Which I also really enjoy.

@Euclid.2517 said:

If elementalist is strong in PVE, why I rarely see one in raid/fractal? So far I have
not seen anyone else
playing 100cm using condition weaver except myself. Most people are just using condition firebrand/Mirage/Soulbeast.
Power weaver
is ok but reward/risk ratio is very low unless you play with people you know. You have close to 0 self boon and very dependent on quickness/alacrity. Even so, holosmith is better for higher burst (in raid scenario) and sustain, which I really enjoy.
Heal tempest
lacks group stability/resistance/quickness. A firebrand can provide every boon except alacrity.

Every other class is compensated for having low HP. Theif has stealth/evade, Guardian has a lot of aegis/block, Mesmer has block/evade/stealth. Elementalist has close to zero block /stealth and also being the light armor.(Look at Arcane shield utility skill, which has 40 seconds cd while "shield of wrath" from guardian has 35 seconds cd and being a blast and weapon skill)

Necro is strong in PVE for most people, except "speedrun team" like LuckyNoobs/Snowcrows. Heal scourge can carry a team, and reaper has very good self-boon and burst and self-sustain. Which I also really enjoy.

Elementalist in PvE suffers from being good, but not (currently) the best at anything. Elementalist DPS benchmarks are among the highest, but most situations where they do well, a DPS mesmer will do better. Support-wise, heal elementalists are pretty good if you have the boons covered elsewhere, while other support builds like healbrands and druids provide more buffs alongside the healing.

@hugo.4705 said:

NECRO? BAD? I stomp mobs in PvE just spamming 1 greatsword, shroud with a full berserk set. Both specs are powered.

Yeah Reaper is insanely overpowered in a lot of PvE content. If you time shroud and your heal right - you're essentially immune to the world while also dishing out silly high amounts of damage.

In almost any solo or open world content it's almost hard to not be absurdly good.

Open world, otherwise known as non challenging content, is generally not considered a factor when comparing class efficiency - since it is trivial. Its instead based on the best gold/time/challenge ratio per mode.

For PvE, its only:CM/T4 Fractals & Raids (and some tiny extent, strike missions)Rec Classes: Guardian, Revenant, Warrior, Elementalist, Ranger, EngineerDecent: all other classesFor Pvp:Mostly 5v5 and WvW (roam and zerg), with some small considerations to 2v2 and other.Rec (zerg): Guardian, Necro, Warrior, Engineer,Decent: Bomb Ele, Portal Mesmer, Root RangerOk: RestRec (roam): Thief, Engineer, Revenant, Ranger, ElementalistOk: RestPvp (rec): Guardian, Necro, Engineer, Ranger, Thief, Revenant, ElementalistOk: Rest

@Apokriphos.7042 said:Open world, otherwise known as non challenging content, is generally not considered a factor when comparing class efficiency - since it is trivial. Its instead based on the best gold/time/challenge ratio per mode.

Kinda depends on what you're doing. There are communities who challenge themselves by soloing open world encounters that most people run away from if they're alone. There are also communities that set up optimised groups for meta events, which can end up carrying the randoms that come along for the ride.

Generally speaking, though, the latter group tends to have similar priorities to fractal and raid builds, although there are some differences (speaking of, I'd note that while mesmers are often uncommon in fractals, they ARE meta for several raids). The first group, however, can have very different requirements to other environments.

I really only do fractals and mist pvp.

For fractals I find classes that can have a good ability to stack and aoe dps/heal the best.Jack of all trade master of none is the best, which is why I use a berserker chrono and either dps or alac. I use shatter with clone spamming for about 8k dps and 80% alac uptime.

For pvp I use a condi soulbeast with roots. It is the best for stop people getting on the point or running away. It can even help you run away. The wolf pet is amazing for stun locking high damage targets like holosmith. The major weakness is being focused by rev or warrior.