Elite spec with spear as ground weapon.

HowlKamui.5120

@Ryou.2398 said:

@mikdepadua.8376 said:Which professions do you think would this fit with?

I think spears have a lot of potential as a ground weapon. Some classes can wield it as a poke-y mid-ranged weapon while others could have it as a sweeping aoe weapon. It can also be used creatively as a thrown weapon either physically or magically.

Personally, I'd like for warriors to gain access to spears as a ground weapon and have them play as archetypal spearmen. Mesmers could also use it as sort of a levitating weapon around them similar to how Xaldin from the Kingdom Hearts Series uses his spears. Would be a much needed power option for mesmers.

I personally thought this is what dragon hunter should have got instead of the bow, it just makes more sense.

Someone like the awesomeness that is known as the dragoon.

Yes I will admin that is where some of the concept comes from lol.

Lol nice!

Admit haha!

Somtimes when something such as that of which is known as a dragoon exudes such awesomeness it can not be contained and will shine through no matter what game is in question. Lol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I think spears have a lot of potential as a ground weapon. Some classes can wield it as a poke-y mid-ranged weapon while others could have it as a sweeping aoe weapon. It can also be used creatively as a thrown weapon either physically or magically.

Personally, I'd like for warriors to gain access to spears as a ground weapon and have them play as archetypal spearmen. Mesmers could also use it as sort of a levitating weapon around them similar to how Xaldin from the Kingdom Hearts Series uses his spears. Would be a much needed power option for mesmers.

I personally thought this is what dragon hunter should have got instead of the bow, it just makes more sense.

Lol nice!

Admit haha!

Somtimes when something such as that of which is known as a dragoon exudes such awesomeness it can not be contained and will shine through no matter what game is in question. Lol

Lol nice!

Admit haha!

That was epic my dude.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Lore-wise Braham took up his mother's bow becoming the first DH so I think it makes sense.

regardless of lore in fantasy a dragon hunter type of character with heavy armor should use a spear.

You say should as if it's a matter-of-fact. What are you basing this on? Final Fantasy?

Lore matters. Sorry.

Take a look at Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series specifically the character Kaladin who is a fantastic example of a guardian type of character and his only weapon is a spear , great read and a great author also .Note: the link to the wiki for the various books is in my signature below.

A sword or an axe is a weapon optimized for killing human-sized foe. It is not well-suited for killing beasts bigger than yourself such as horses (like it is the case in real life) or monsters (in the fantasy genre). Attempting to kill a monster with a one-handed sword would be suicidal as the monster would inevitably have a lot more reach than you do. Greatsword was a welcomed addition as it partially fills the gap but there is still monsters that are even bigger for which a spear, a pike or a polearm (or you on a warhorse and carrying a lance) would be better option. Not to mention, polearms are better suited for killing foes in plate armor than swords. As for the elite for which class? The Warrior (Warlord) would be the obvious pick, but also the Ranger (Hunter), and the Guardian (War Monk) (although I would rather give rifles to the guardian based on Japan's Sōhei Warrior Monks during Sengoku period).

It's not like the concept is alien to Guild Wars.

Watchknight.jpg

Seraph_Guard_%28Lake_Doric%29.jpg

%22Charr_March%22_concept_art.jpg

The_Scourge_of_Vabbi_page.jpg

@mikdepadua.8376 said:

Lore-wise Braham took up his mother's bow becoming the first DH so I think it makes sense.

regardless of lore in fantasy a dragon hunter type of character with heavy armor should use a spear.

You say should as if it's a matter-of-fact. What are you basing this on? Final Fantasy?

Lore matters. Sorry.

Lore is subjective when we are talking about multiple fantasy genres, I do not understand the line of thinking with people like you, not to mention its a little hypocritical when most fantasy was based off lord of the rings so if you want to be technical about it there are many weapons that should not exist.

@Ryou.2398 said:Lore is subjective when we are talking about multiple fantasy genres, I do not understand the line of thinking with people like you, not to mention its a little hypocritical when most fantasy was based off lord of the rings so if you want to be technical about it there are many weapons that should not exist.

Alot of fantasy is based on lord of the rings, yes.

Guild Wars 2 is clearly not. And there is nothing in the lore that even remotely says that a dragonhunter in this world should use a spear.Anet has established that dragonhunters prefer the longbow as their weapon, so that's how it is.

You can't just apply your own rules onto a world someone else has created. It is Anet's world, if they want dragonhunters to use bows instead of spears, then there is nothing wrong with that.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Ryou.2398 said:Lore is subjective when we are talking about multiple fantasy genres, I do not understand the line of thinking with people like you, not to mention its a little hypocritical when most fantasy was based off lord of the rings so if you want to be technical about it there are many weapons that should not exist.

Alot of fantasy is based on lord of the rings, yes.

Guild Wars 2 is clearly not. And there is nothing in the lore that even remotely says that a dragonhunter in this world should use a spear.Anet has established that dragonhunters prefer the longbow as their weapon, so that's how it is.

You can't just apply your own rules onto a world someone else has created. It is Anet's world, if they want dragonhunters to use bows instead of spears, then there is nothing wrong with that.

All I said that it made more sense considering it is a heavy armored class stop assuming things and acting as if you speak for me, enough is enough we where having a friendly convo until you came along and started getting way to uptight about it. It is my opinion and I really do not care what you think of it and I certainly do not need your approval.

Spears, as in stabbing/thrown one-handed weapons? Without weird mechanics and themes, Ranger, Guardian, Revenant, and Warrior. Maybe elementalist too.

Spear, as in a two-handed polearm? It would cover more than just spears in that case, and possibly include greataxes and scythes as well. Elementalist, Necromancer, Ranger, Guardian, Revenant, and Warrior.