Open World Domination: Fire Weaver

@AliamRationem.5172 said:The goal is to reach 100% increased burn duration. Anything over that is wasted.

I would say that earth is probably better? It increases condition damage and passive defense. I prefer arcane mostly for the boons on demand and dodge effects on evasive arcana, but that could just be a me thing. You should try both and see what you prefer!

Are you running a similar or different build in PvP (based on your last video I saw).

@zaekeon.5128 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:The goal is to reach 100% increased burn duration. Anything over that is wasted.

I would say that earth is probably better? It increases condition damage and passive defense. I prefer arcane mostly for the boons on demand and dodge effects on evasive arcana, but that could just be a me thing. You should try both and see what you prefer!

Are you running a similar or different build in PvP (based on your last video I saw).

It's pretty much the same build. Here are more or less the variants I am using at the moment.

PvE: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

WvW: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZweYXMJmJOSXdveA-zVRYcRDQG+yInEIzCwhZpKpN-w

PvP: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZweYXMJmJOSXZveA-z5YXGJkAZWAOMA

Love it! This is the kind of integrity that I love discovering! He shows that his build works (solo) IN THE GAME...unlike those Snowcrows videos that only show someone, who has every buff under the sun, beating on an inanimate golem. Even worse are the Metabattle builds that don't demonstrate anything at all...just have to take their word for it and spend a ton of cash to copy their build.

Thank you so much for posting these videos!!

@GW Noob.6038 said:Love it! This is the kind of integrity that I love discovering! He shows that his build works (solo) IN THE GAME...unlike those Snowcrows videos that only show someone, who has every buff under the sun, beating on an inanimate golem. Even worse are the Metabattle builds that don't demonstrate anything at all...just have to take their word for it and spend a ton of cash to copy their build.

The former is designed toward raids, not solo content.The latter is not meant to solo group content. Solo open world is referred to most open world stuff, including some champions but definitly not the hardest.This thread fills the gap between the two, allowing you to solo most of the hardest stuff.

@GW Noob.6038 said:Love it! This is the kind of integrity that I love discovering! He shows that his build works (solo) IN THE GAME...unlike those Snowcrows videos that only show someone, who has every buff under the sun, beating on an inanimate golem. Even worse are the Metabattle builds that don't demonstrate anything at all...just have to take their word for it and spend a ton of cash to copy their build.

You do know that snowcrows builds are created with a group in mind which already provides you those buffs, right? They also have various videos of their raid runs as well as what to do/change on builds based on raid boss.

Metabattle builds also explain what do do with a build, what variations are and even how to use combos. Not to mention that a lot of them have budget version or are already cheap to get (especially if you use exotics).

The only thing that's correct in your whole statement is your username.

I'm glad you enjoyed my videos and found them helpful! But I do want to point out a couple of things. First, my build is basically just a variation of the PvP/WvW roamer fire weaver builds that have been up on metabattle in various forms for some time. Second, I'm not really in the same conversation with snowcrows. I don't raid and my build is not intended for that purpose. If you want to maximize damage in a scenario that assumes meta group support, then please do yourself a favor and visit snowcrows!

Thank you again, though. I do appreciate it!

• Like 1

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

The former is designed toward raids, not solo content.The latter is not meant to solo group content. Solo open world is referred to most open world stuff, including some champions but definitly not the hardest.This thread fills the gap between the two, allowing you to solo most of the hardest stuff.

Ah...very true. I never go to their website because I don't do raid content. But, I have seen their videos. Beating up a poor defenseless golem, though...so sad! :disappointed:

@steki.1478 said:

You do know that snowcrows builds are created with a group in mind which already provides you those buffs, right? They also have various videos of their raid runs as well as what to do/change on builds based on raid boss.

Metabattle builds also explain what do do with a build, what variations are and even how to use combos. Not to mention that a lot of them have budget version or are already cheap to get (especially if you use exotics).

Yes...and they should show their builds in action in that context. I tried using a build from Metabattle a long time ago...and I was down more than I was up! Changed my build and immediately cut my down time in half. That 'Wooden Potatoes' guy has way better builds.

@GW Noob.6038 said:

Yes...and they should show their builds in action in that context.

They already do though. Rotations are the same everywhere, you just make some minor adjustments, which are also on the website.

I tried using a build from Metabattle a long time ago...and I was down more than I was up! Changed my build and immediately cut my down time in half. That 'Wooden Potatoes' guy has way better builds.

That says more about you than the builds. A lot of them are glass cannon and focus on active defenses to stay alive so if you swapped from that to something that just has to spam autos and sustain itself through 5 defensive traits and tanky gear of course you'd go down a lot less. That's why you always adjust open world builds to your play style.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"GW Noob.6038" said:Love it! This is the kind of integrity that I love discovering! He shows that his build works (solo) IN THE GAME...unlike those Snowcrows videos that only show someone, who has every buff under the sun, beating on an inanimate golem. Even worse are the Metabattle builds that don't demonstrate anything at all...just have to take their word for it and spend a ton of cash to copy their build.

Thanks for that. I am mostly a solo player in whatever I do. The more "organized group" the activity, the less time I spend on it! So, I almost never raid, I roam WvW a lot, but always by myself or with a friend, I PvP a little, mostly solo queue unranked, and maybe fractal dailies with the guild now and then. Otherwise, I spend most of my time running around HoT or LS maps on my own and maybe lend a hand if it's needed. In other words, I guess you'd call me pretty casual...but I'm not bad at this and I spend a lot of time on it!

Background out of the way, I like the way you describe it. Metabattle has gotten much better about this, but you still see a lot of solo farming builds which rely on such tried-and-true strategies as "taking the lava font trait so you can rally repeatedly!". Then there's the tendency of the forums to recommend even glassier raid-style builds for all PvE. Obviously, not everyone is going to feel comfortable playing these builds.

I love the idea that this thread offers something for players like me, who aren't necessarily interested in playing the way many players do (farming, zerging, raiding - group play most of the time).

@GW Noob.6038 said:

Yes...and they should show their builds in action in that context. I tried using a build from Metabattle a long time ago...and I was down more than I was up! Changed my build and immediately cut my down time in half. That 'Wooden Potatoes' guy has way better builds.

Yes! I love WP! He demonstrates his builds thoroughly and does a good job of explaining why he makes the choices he does. Maybe metabattle will start putting up demo videos? That would be really cool!

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Thanks for that. I am mostly a solo player in whatever I do. The more "organized group" the activity, the less time I spend on it! So, I almost never raid, I roam WvW a lot, but always by myself or with a friend, I PvP a little, mostly solo queue unranked, and maybe fractal dailies with the guild now and then. Otherwise, I spend most of my time running around HoT or LS maps on my own and maybe lend a hand if it's needed. In other words, I guess you'd call me pretty casual...but I'm not bad at this and I spend a lot of time on it!

I know, I have followed your thread since the mirage's one 2 years ago ?I'm playing like you, mainly because of the lack of challenge when in a group.

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Thanks for that. I am mostly a solo player in whatever I do. The more "organized group" the activity, the less time I spend on it! So, I almost never raid, I roam WvW a lot, but always by myself or with a friend, I PvP a little, mostly solo queue unranked, and maybe fractal dailies with the guild now and then. Otherwise, I spend most of my time running around HoT or LS maps on my own and maybe lend a hand if it's needed. In other words, I guess you'd call me pretty casual...but I'm not bad at this and I spend a lot of time on it!

I know, I have followed your thread since the mirage's one 2 years ago ?I'm playing like you, mainly because of the lack of challenge when in a group.

Oh, cool! Well, I'll keep at it! I mean, what I share video of is just straight video of what I do every day! Good to hear I'm not the only one out there just playing it my way rather than all meta all the time! But of course, if you are the meta sort, please do share your videos and experience here, too! It will all help players see that there are different ways to approach playing this game!

Here's another video of fire weaver handling some of the jungle's more deadly residents. Notice how important it is to time evades against these guys. You can eat a lot of damage if you lose track of a shadowleaper and let it pepper you with arrows or miss a dodge against a blade dancer and eat its knife attacks at close range! But with proper timing and skill use, you have everything you need in your toolkit to easily handle these guys!

A lot of new players coming over from other MMOs are used to the idea that you continually upgrade your gear so that you become stronger relative to the enemies you're fighting (at least, until newer, more powerful enemies are released!). That isn't the case here. In fact, that cheap, ubiquitous Exotic gear you received a free set of along with your level 80 boost is very nearly as good as the very best legendary gear you can get!

For my build, the difference in primary stats is as follows:Condition Damage: Legendary 1723/1633 ExoticToughness: 2019/1860Health: 22512/21742

It's all in the skills here! Just check out this video where I've gone ahead and equipped a full set of level 55 blue Carrion gear along with level 39 sigils and runes and yet still manage to take down a heavy-hitting champion on one of the squishiest classes around! That's what's great about GW2 combat! You don't need a tank or a healer. You don't even need great gear, strictly speaking! You just need to use the skills available to your class!

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:A lot of new players coming over from other MMOs are used to the idea that you continually upgrade your gear so that you become stronger relative to the enemies you're fighting (at least, until newer, more powerful enemies are released!). That isn't the case here. In fact, that cheap, ubiquitous Exotic gear you received a free set of along with your level 80 boost is very nearly as good as the very best legendary gear you can get!

For my build, the difference in primary stats is as follows:Condition Damage: Legendary 1723/1633 ExoticToughness: 2019/1860Health: 22512/21742

It's all in the skills here! Just check out this video where I've gone ahead and equipped a full set of level 55 blue Carrion gear along with level 39 sigils and runes and yet still manage to take down a heavy-hitting champion on one of the squishiest classes around! That's what's great about GW2 combat! You don't need a tank or a healer. You don't even need great gear, strictly speaking! You just need to use the skills available to your class!

I started playing a few weeks ago, and I chose elementalist as my 1st profession, mostly because I loved the weaver gameplay, the fact that u could mess with the elements, use them as u want, it's just amazing... After I got to lvl 80 I found myself dying a lot and I almost gave up on my elementalist, but then I saw your build and tips and I feel like a damn monster in open world... Managed to solo a few HoT champions and one of them was the one on your video :)

As much as I love the build, I have a few questions/concerns about it... I'm currently running full Dire gear, but I was trying to get my hand on trialblazer's trinkets, but then I hit a wall and found out I had to own the LS3 story to get to bitterfrost frontier (I own HoT + PoF), so what's my alternative? I feel I can have some ascended trinkets to upgrade the gear a little bit but without traiblazers, the other options dont feel as decent. I want to improve my DPS a little bit, and the extra cond damage paired with expertise would help a lot with thatAlso, what's your "rotation"? What are your tips and tricks about skill usage and priority? Sometimes I feel like i'm just spamming random skills everytime they're off CD and I feel that's not what it should be happening. I apologise in advance for so many questions

@TricksteR.1392 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:A lot of new players coming over from other MMOs are used to the idea that you continually upgrade your gear so that you become stronger relative to the enemies you're fighting (at least, until newer, more powerful enemies are released!). That isn't the case here. In fact, that cheap, ubiquitous Exotic gear you received a free set of along with your level 80 boost is very nearly as good as the very best legendary gear you can get!

I started playing a few weeks ago, and I chose elementalist as my 1st profession, mostly because I loved the weaver gameplay, the fact that u could mess with the elements, use them as u want, it's just amazing... After I got to lvl 80 I found myself dying a lot and I almost gave up on my elementalist, but then I saw your build and tips and I feel like a kitten monster in open world... Managed to solo a few HoT champions and one of them was the one on your video :)

As much as I love the build, I have a few questions/concerns about it... I'm currently running full Dire gear, but I was trying to get my hand on trialblazer's trinkets, but then I hit a wall and found out I had to own the LS3 story to get to bitterfrost frontier (I own HoT + PoF), so what's my alternative? I feel I can have some ascended trinkets to upgrade the gear a little bit but without traiblazers, the other options dont feel as decent. I want to improve my DPS a little bit, and the extra cond damage paired with expertise would help a lot with thatAlso, what's your "rotation"? What are your tips and tricks about skill usage and priority? Sometimes I feel like i'm just spamming random skills everytime they're off CD and I feel that's not what it should be happening. I apologise in advance for so many questions

That's great to hear the build turned things around for you!

On expertise, keep in mind that you already gain 90% burn duration from traits/runes and you can cover that last 10% in other ways (e.g. Sigil of Malice, burn duration food).

On rotation, I'm going to be lazy and copy/paste a reply to a similar question from a viewer:

"I'm pretty free-form on account of not participating in any organized group content. No practice golems or meta builds for me! But to deal damage I know I need to stay in fire, rotating between earth and air. This allows me to maintain that 25 might stack through Pyromancer's Puissance, combo blasts on fire fields, and fire aura detonations from focus fire 5 while also accessing my most damaging moves (e.g. pyrovortex).

What you basically want to avoid is rotating in while the moves you need are still on cooldown. Simple enough. Just keep rotating back to fire, then rotate to whatever alternate element (earth or air) you didn't rotate into on the previous pass. Use the combo blasts like earth 2 and 4 on your fire fields to keep that might going. Also remember that with this build you have evasive arcana, so you actually get some damage out of dodging in fire and earth as well as an additional combo blast from earth dodge. Also, rotating back into fire applies fire shield and deals damage so even dodging into the enemy while rotating into fire deals some nice damage while helping generate more might!

Avoid rotating into water unless you need CC or healing. Likewise, air/earth is only really used for CC. Rotating into these elements is something you definitely need to do at the right time, but it's also a damage loss when you do it. So be aware of that.

I'm sure an experienced raid weaver could give a more detailed critique on how to deal damage, but this is basically how I approach it. I am not following a strict rotation in my head, more of a general one that changes to meet the needs of my situation. Unlike organized group play, there's nobody else there to perform other roles for me!"

Having said that, you should look into raid guides. They concern themselves with maximizing damage and there are probably a lot of little tricks they know that I don't.

For this video, I bumped up the item level to a mix of level 61-65 blue/green gear to facilitate using superior quality runes/sigils (though I forgot to charge corruption sigil for this - oh well!). The benefit of the additional 10% health from the T6 bonus on Balthazar runes combined with Master's Fortitude really helps to give a little extra room to breathe. In addition, having close to max burn duration improves damage dramatically. The power on carrion is as useless as ever and I definitely feel the loss of toughness from dire when hits land, but playing with this setup felt more similar to full ascended than it does to playing in the level 55 gear with major quality runes/sigils.

I don't really have much of a point with this, but I found it interesting! And why not? It's just more proof that having a build that works for you and knowing how to use it is far more important than the quality of your gear!

I went with some guys from my guild to check out this Dragon Arena Survival event. It was all smooth sailing until the final boss. I don't think any of us knew the fight, and the CC and spike damage from this guy came as a nasty surprise! I thought it was over when my group all went down, but Weaver refuses to die!

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:Nice performance, but there was no team play? I mean, no one is trying to revive downed players, it would have been a lot easier if you did.

Obviously, we were not an organized group and I am not an organized group player! I did make the mistake of thinking killing the add would rally, and then failed to notice that it didn't as I went back to the boss. But after that all the downs were so far away it didn't make sense to risk trying to run all the way over and raise them. I probably would have ended up getting CC'd and spiked like everyone else. So instead I just stayed on the boss and finished the fight.

I'm sure a group of regular, organized fractal/raid runners can do this in a fraction of the time and without any difficulty by stacking on the boss. But that's not the situation we found ourselves in!

I know this is a PvE thread, but I also like to dabble in PvP and do some WvW roaming, too. And I'm not sure how this patch is going to play out for fire weaver. So, working under the assumption that Pyromancer's Puissance will not be worth taking for a condi weaver (Note: I could very well be wrong about that!), I tweaked my build a little.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZweYXMJmJOyXZvaA-zZoKjEKgMTAHGA

I wanted something a little more aggressive, so I'm running carrion amulet with fire/arcane traits and no stun break (using barrier/stability from stone resonance instead). It sounds stupid, but I've been using stone resonance this way since shortly after 2/25 and it feels fine for the most part. If we're being honest, running a stun break isn't going to stop you from becoming a ping pong ball in this meta, so at least you can negate a lot of damage with barrier and ride out the burst! Play your cards right with evasion and counter-pressure, and a build like this can be surprisingly hard to kill.

I took arcane precision, superior elements, and blinding ashes to try to give myself plenty of cover condi. Plus frequent weakness and blind is very disruptive and provides significant defense, especially on top of barrier which absorbs the rest! Meta? I doubt it! But I hung around the lobby arena for several hours today trying it out against all sorts of builds and it didn't feel particularly weak against anything, even when I faced off against some very high rank players.

Good enough for me! And who knows? Maybe pyromancer's puissance will surprise me and be really awesome! If not, I am ready for that, too.

@zaekeon.5128 said:Anything change for your build from the nerfs for PvE?

I did a quick test on the chak lobber HP in AB and finished it in 1:03, which is within the range of normal. I think my best time was 0:53 or something like that? So, it's fine. This won't be the end of condi weaver for open world.

Having said that, I am very disappointed in the changes to Pyromancer's Puissance for several reasons, but mostly because it's a trait that benefits group play at the expense of solo play. That it also represents a significant nerf to condi builds with barely anything given back is something I'm not thrilled about either.

Every time I look at the fire traits now, all I see is that the third tier fire is now about as useful to me as the second tier of arcane, both of which you have made pretty much useless just this year! Let's just say I am less than impressed with our current development team and would like them to reconsider this stupidity.