[New player] Which gear to wear?

Hi everyone,

Eventhough I bought this game when it first released, I never played it so I am kinda new to the game. I have a level 80 elementalist and guardian that I leveled up using the happy birthday lvl up scrolls.

I have no idea what to do and what to wear. I made my build using common sense but I wear random gear. Last night I did some dungeons and it was a disaster lol.

Can you please show me the way, which gear should i wear and where i can find those gear vendors.. For a start i want to explore the world and do the dungeons and maybe pvp later on.

Ps: I dont have the expansions

Look everything up either here https://snowcrows.com or here http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki ;)But I'd recommend snowcrows more as they're always updated and metabatlle is too messy sometimes and usually not updated.That is if you want to be efficient and not suck at the game and not get kicked out of lfg groups as most of us don't want casuals even though I hate how the playerbase has become and I gladly welcome new players.Otherwise if you're solo I'd recommend to play whatever you like and feel safe with.

As a new player you can never go wrong with Power-Precision-Ferocity for damage. Condition builds are more powerful, true, but you'll need to learn more about the game to properly use them.I would suggest not playing Elementalist for now and use your Guardian which can tolerate a lot more mistakes. If you want to make him tanky: Power, Vitality, Toughness.Meta builds are widely available on the internet for each type of content. You should give it a look as well.

But if you want to take more time learning the game, start at lvl 1 and make the climb. There's no better guide than experience.

If you're only playing through core GW2 exotic BERSERKER'S gear is more than enough.

ARMOR

The easiest way to obtain BERSERKER'S armor is to buy it from THIS karma vendor located in Orr, Cursed Shore - HERE. It costs 252,000 karma so you might want to save a little.

WEAPONS

Once you have the armor, you want to get berserker's weapons. The best way to do this is to farm dungeons. You can get berserker's weapons from Citadel of Flame in Fireheart Rise, Crucible of Eternity in Mount Maelstorm, or The Lost City of Arah in Cursed Shore. As a newcomer, I do not recommend trying Arah as it is difficult. Start with CoF or CoE. Completing dungeons will award you unique currency for that specific dungeon, which can be traded at THIS VENDOR.

TRINKETS

Berserker's trinkets (amulets, rings, and accessories) can be obtained only by crafting them. You'll need to level up jeweler profession. For a guide on how to do it efficiently click HERE. Finally, the back item. Berserker's back item can only be obtained by purchasing it from Guild Commendation Trader for Guild Commendations. Guild Commendations can only be acquired by doing different guild missions with your guild. You can get 12-15 per week, so you should have enough for a back item in less than a week. You'll have to obviously join a guild.

BUILD

Once you've collected all the pieces of equipment you need to get yourself the right build. Depending on the content you're doing your build will differ. You'll need the right runes and sigils to put in your equipment and the best way to get those is to buy them on TP, they are sadly not cheap. For a full list of current meta build click HERE. The builds on that site use ASCENDED gear, but they can be run on exotics as well (runes and sigils do not change).

I hope you find this guide useful and if you need me to clarify anything just ask. Keep in mind that all of the above can also be crafted but that requires gold witch you do not have as a new player I assume. Also, berserker's gear works well for CORE PvE only, if you plan on getting the expansions you'll have to ideally change your general PvE gear as well.

If you want to choose your own equipment there's a few things you need to know.

Firstly in terms of item levels or quality GW2 is relatively simple. There's only 6 tiers of equipment: common (white), fine (blue), masterwork (green), rare (yellow), exotic (orange) and ascended/legendary (pink/purple), level requirements only go up to character level 80, and all items with the same level requirement and tier are equally good. A level 80 exotic beserker's helm you craft yourself will be identical to one you get as a drop from a random enemy, or from completing a dungeon or buy from a merchant and while the stats are different the amount of stats will be identical to a level 80 exotic helm with any other 3-stat combination. So once you've found what you want to get you can chooese the method that's best for you to get it without worrying that you're missing out on the best version because you don't like a specific area of the game.

Also while ascended and legendary items (which have identical stats) are the best in the game they're a lot harder to get than exotics and only required for high level Fractals and recommended for raids. Everything else is balanced around exotics, so it's absolutely fine to just stick with exotic equipment unless you want the extra challenge of getting ascended or really want to do Fractals and/or raids. (Having said that most people will use ascended trinkets - rings, accessories and amulet - because you can buy those with laurels from the vendors in major cities so they're relatively easy to get if you're not in a hurry and offer a big boost over exotics. There's less of a difference with weapons and armour.)

What is important is which stat combination you choose. Lower level or quality equipment with better stats can actually be better for you than higher quality stuff with a random jumble of stats that doesn't fit your build. There's no absolute right answer, what's best for you depends on your build and how you like to play. If you're not already aware of what the different stats (properly called attributes) do you can find out here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute

Then you can see all the available combinations here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinationsAt level 80 you'll want the ones with 3 or more attributes (the one and two stat ones are only available on lower level equipment). You can filter the table to show only ones which are available without expansions using the buttons at the top and if there's specific stats you know you want you can filter for those too.

You'll need to decide which stats are important for your character, but it's a good idea to check which ones are available at the same time because some combinations are impossible (or exclusive to an expansion) and it's really annoying to get attached to the idea of using specific stats then find out you can't. Since you've already got a build worked out that will define which stats you choose. For example if you're mainly using weapons which cause conditions instead of doing direct damage then condition damage will be more important for you than power. If you're using several skills and traits which boost your defence you probably don't need vitality or toughness, but if your build is more damage focused and you find you keep getting killed you might want more defensive stats.

Of course you might find as you're doing this that you want to make some changes to your build (maybe you're currently using a lot of defensive traits because you don't have defensive stats and would rather change that? Maybe you like a specific weapon but found it weak and it's actually because at the time you had the wrong stats for it? Maybe you've just got some new ideas since last time you looked through everything? That's half the fun of coming up with your own builds and something which is well worth considering. Again there's no absolute right or wrong builds, the important thing is to make something which works for you and you enjoy playing.

Once you know what you want have a look at this page, which will show you where you can get it: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

Oh, and don't forget to choose runes and sigils for your new equipment too, they give small boosts but it can make a big difference. Especially if you get 6 matching runes.

If you are new player then don't use meta gears. Because they are more for experience players. Buy something cheap, like soldier/cleric gear for guardian. This make it easyer to survive for while and when you are more experince and know how to play your character and understand how important dodge and movement is in this game combat, then start thinking more class cannon gears. For elementalis, I think meta gear is fine, basicly go for to maximize your damage (berserker). You really don't have much option, because elementalist is class cannon by design. There are sometimes cheaper gears in TP, what has same stats than berserker gears.

Power is the most important stat, it will define you damage. How ever, your both classes can heal, so little bit healing attribute can be fine too. Vitalty and toughness increase you survibilty in core lands as new player. Toughness becomes later useless, because condition damage will bypass that.

Unpopular opinion: all Berserker. Makes you l2p a bit but but it's cheap and best for group content

Being a shitter in no DPS gear only makes you live longer until you wipe and being good fos makes fast phases easy kills.

Wow these are all amazing advices guys and I deeply appreciate everyone's input.

I checked those links and honestly I'm little bit confused, it will take some time to get used to. I saw the karma merchant in Orr and i found out i already have a big chunk of karma in my wallet, dont know how or where they came from. Maybe in a week or two i will be able to get the full armor set from that vendor. And I'm leaning towards power, healing power and something else for my elementalist, maybe crit damage.. But she uses dual daggers. By your input i guess i am better off using condition damage for dual daggers right?

@sadman.6572 said:Wow these are all amazing advices guys and I deeply appreciate everyone's input.

I checked those links and honestly I'm little bit confused, it will take some time to get used to. I saw the karma merchant in Orr and i found out i already have a big chunk of karma in my wallet, dont know how or where they came from. Maybe in a week or two i will be able to get the full armor set from that vendor. And I'm leaning towards power, healing power and something else for my elementalist, maybe crit damage.. But she uses dual daggers. By your input i guess i am better off using condition damage for dual daggers right?

You get karma for completing hearts and events, among other things. In lore it's supposed to be literally karma: your character does something to help people out and it makes everyone think better of them, then vendors will give them free stuff in recognition for all the good they've done. In game mechanics terms it means it pretty much just shows up as you play. It is possible to farm karma of course, but you'll often find you accumulate a lot without really trying.

That's how I got my first level 80 her first full set of equipment. At the time dungeons were probably the most popular source of exotics but I'd never done a dungeon and had enough karma for a full set of armour, so to me it was the better option. The biggest problem was I hadn't been down to Orr yet, and the (Teleport to Friend item didn't exist) so I had to find my way down there and find the temple, but that was actually fun to do. :)

@sadman.6572 said:snip

Please don't use the Orr Karma merchants.

Any one who gives that advice is stuck in 2015. Karma, unlike for a while strait after launch, actually has a lot of uses and farming 252,000 per item will take a while and could be used a lot better on other things.

If it is exotic berserker armor you want, check the trading post for the named level 80 exotic gear with power, precision, ferocity. These items are identical in stats to regular level 80 exotic gear, are vastly cheaper and also have a unique skin. Getting the 10-12 gold together for an entire armor set will be a lot faster than the over 1.2 million Karma you would need for the same gear from the Orr merchants.

There is absolutely no reason to buy items off the Karma merchants in todays game. Exotic gear available from them has become vastly cheaper to purchase with gold, Karma is actually used for a lot of rewards today and exotic gear is available via a lot of other means (on top of the TP) as well.

@"wmtyrance.3571" said:If you don't have the expansions then Exotic is fine but once you buy the expansions you will need the best gear in the game.

Strictly speaking, you only need ascended gear for fractals and only due to their particular gating mechanic (agony resistance). It's recommended for raiding, too, as the presence of boons and multipliers magnifies the difference in stats and there are stiffer damage requirements. Outside of that, it's not even noticeable. Sharper play and the right build are simply far more important than ilvl in this game.

To illustrate the point, here's a video where I solo an HoT champion in level 60-65 blue/green gear on my weaver. At about 50%, another player enters, presumably geared in 80 exotic (or better) as most players in HoT are. They end up going down fairly quickly, though, because they facetank several attacks in a row!

I'm operating at about 50% stats vs. full 80 ascended here with carrion stats because that's about the only choice for condi at that ilvl! At max level I could use tankier stats like dire/trailblazer or go for more damage with grieving, etc. The 5% difference between 80 exotic and ascended doesn't even register by comparison.

To the OP, I play weaver, so I admit I haven't tested this build, but it looks like it would melt face while being pretty difficult to kill! It's just something I threw together just now. Feel free to use it for ideas!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAg2lZwuYKsJGJOKPmrOA-zxIU8ohfQYz5SgEFgjZZRpN-e

If you do end up getting the expansions, give my weaver build a shot! Here's a video of it in action at full strength!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

@Cyninja.2954 said:Please don't use the Orr Karma merchants.

Any one who gives that advice is stuck in 2015. Karma, unlike for a while strait after launch, actually has a lot of uses and farming 252,000 per item will take a while and could be used a lot better on other things.

What do you use karma for? Other than using it to buy Wintersday gifts I only rarely find uses for it, and then it's generally a one-time purchase like skins or recipies. I'm currently using it to buy the racial weapon for the skins, so I haven't had much for a while, but before that I could easily end up with millions of karma.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Please don't use the Orr Karma merchants.

What do you use karma for? Other than using it to buy Wintersday gifts I only rarely find uses for it, and then it's generally a one-time purchase like skins or recipies. I'm currently using it to buy the racial weapon for the skins, so I haven't had much for a while, but before that I could easily end up with millions of karma.

Novelty items, recipes, trinkets, convert map currencies (Eternal Iceshards into T4 materials for example for Volatile Magic which in turn can be converted into trophies aka gold), etc.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_karma_merchant_items has a good overview of what is available.

The point is: 252,000 Karma takes a significantly longer time to farm than 1-2 gold (the equivalent cost of a useful exotic item) and you absolutely do not want to be Karma starved IF you ever need it. Especially as a new player, who might not be sitting on millions of Karma not caring about how efficient he is with it.

EDIT:To illustrate my point, let's do some light math:252,000 Karma allow for 93 conversions of Eternal Ice Shards into Mistborn Motes if you spend 6975 Eternal Ice Shards (500 of which you get for daily strikes and anohter 500-600 by simply opening the chests on the Bjora Marches map daily. So let's say 7k Shards per week without excessive farming)252,000 / 2688 = 93.75

That equates to 930 Mistborn Motes, which can be converted into 1395 - 2325 Volatile Magic by consuming them.Volatile Magic can be converted into Trophy Shipments worth 60s profit per 250 Volatile Magic (https://gw2lunchbox.com/IstanShipments.html, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trophy_Shipment) on average (this used to be over 1 gold but is low atm due to material prices having bottomed out).So given the average of 1860 Volatile Magic ([1395+2325] /2), that's at least 7 conversions. So 252,000 Karma can be converted into approximately 4.2 gold per week (used to be twice as high but lower due to materials prices being low atm).

Hardly worth "wasting" that Karma on a at best 2 gold item.

The Karma Merchants in Orr are good for 1 thing and 1 thing only: the skin of the item for people who do not play fractals regularly, where those skins also drop. It's 2013 reward content and is far out of date. That's without even getting into ascended trinkets or gear available for the near same amount of Karma.

Buy exotic gear of TP. Even full berserker will only cost you like 20 g and that is not hard to come by. Check your material storage and you will found out you probably already can buy everything you need if you sell some stuff.Condition dmg gear is harder to come by. People will say one is better than the other but that is nonsense. Power dmg will give you burst, condition takes time to ramp up. Power is good in all scenarios. Condition might be better in a few scenarios but sometimes it is just completely useless or much worse because stuff die to fast, before you can ramp it up. For a new player power gear (stuff that gives power, precision, ferocity) is probably much easier to acquire and power builds easier to play.