LAG LAG LAG - Anet please stop ignoring the community on this! - [Merged]

Please stop telling people this is a personal problem when map chat is literally being spammed with it when it happens.

And there's videos all over YouTube of the WvW lag etc. from all sides.

Lately even getting maps of the same IP at metas, which not only makes LFG hard but increased lag since both map instances are running on the same node for some reason, presumably downsizing of resources. Checked the PoF maps when I had lag--same thing, multiple maps with the same IP. Looks like part of the problem is ArenaNet is trying to cluster on fewer individual nodes.

What's the point of even having map caps if you're going to do this?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the client wouldnt be able to handle a single map with the population that equal to many capped maps.Not without a massive update on the way they display players/mounts models, but its probably not within their possibilities.Edit: also forgot projectiles... and the skills effects... definitly sound unlikelyAlso having the same ip for different maps isnt new or bad by itself, but if they increased the number of maps on a node then yes, that would explain the issues.

The lag issue wasnt around all the time. In past the PoF maps ran fine. Lws4 ran fine... I started to experience loading screen lags ever since Icebrood saga (at first only LA and Bjora Marches, lately any loading screen) and since Bjora Marches I experienced lags in PoF, Thunderhead Peaks (unplayable at meta in south). Last week even Verdant Brink was lagging for me (as in you gather flax and it takes a full minute before it was finally in my backpack, today it seemed fine in Verdant Brink tho). All the time, others had the same issue and mentioned it.

@"Xenn.1602" said:a few months before COVID19 it already started. I'm saying this because COVID19 made number of active players grow. But this doesn't seem to be the root cause;sever lagg used to be an issue of full WVW servers when zergs were battling, which was already a bad thing, but now;

server lagg on random pve maps at random times of day at random days... We experience massive lag on almost empty map instances in the morning.. In pvp which was never the case before. And wvw has become even worse.. Often a decent duel can't take place in evening hours....

Anet please stop ignoring the community, put this on your "Known Issues List" and let the community know what you are doing about this!

Thanks in behalf of myself and the entire community

Unfortunately, I am not able to play either. It disconnects every minute or so. Been playing for about 4 and a half years and I've never had to log out of the game because I was unable to do content. I won't even touch Fractals till this gets fixed. :( I hope they get on to it. If they do, they might not announce it, who knows. But let's keep a close eye on this situation and start writing here if we see it resolved. It's up to them what type of communication strategy they're opting with. Obviously there is much we don't know.

Imma just plays the game, if I can, when I can, regardless of whether Anet starts talking to its player base or not.

The only thing I don't get is the lack of acknowledgment of technical issues like these. It's very weird and I can only hope that the company is doing alright.We'll find out sooner or probably later.

uuuggg, you don't know how much this is pissing me off now. now i'll admit i notice something awhile back when drizlewood was released, and that was mainly reactionary lag, which i think that would be on there end as i pop an updraft and nothing happens for a few seconds then the npc goes flying, which these delayed effects could be a reason why i been dieing a lot recently, which suck cuz that means thing are coming in, but not going out. but today ooo boy, i did been doing DS and this is the 1st time shit like this has happened where all my skills just all sudden pop off at once, and just got finished with WvW ooo boy, i don't even think any skills were popping, and i'll admit i have conspiracy theories about other Servers boosting zergs ping when they get in combat, but really i'll even admit i have shit internet, and i don't like being "That Guy" that bitches about everything. And i can understand that there will be lag in WvW, i kinda expect that but to the lv where i get beaten down and i'm not even at that location, reset the fucking servers, get newer ones that can work Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, and keep the same limits on those servers. i'm all most at a point where if i see a dev to tell you hey it there seems to be a lot of packets dropping can you do something about this plz.

Did a little experiment today and logged into the game through GeForce now (which is pretty sensitive to dips in network performance) and guess what? It didn't say anything even during really bad lag spikes.... I didn't even get the unstable connection icon pop up...... No compensation in streaming quality, nothing.

This is all on A-Nets side.

Your reactions without log or traceroute to know the factual elements and server in question or if it is really related to the server or to the transport or your ISP comes back to contact a hotel chain and howl while crying that the bed is null, without saying of which hotel it is nor the room number. Or cry that the gas station has pumps that do not work without saying which one it is and found that the tanker is making fun of you for not reacting, seriously ... you do not understand or is the concern in your complaints?

So instead of spending hours complaining, read the posts on how to report a problem and make the damn traceroute and provide it and maybe you will even discover that the lag comes from a bridle of your ISP during this period of Covid and that the game has nothing to do with it and we will see if you can complain to it or come and say that finally you were wrong, I doubt it, most will continue to complain because complain it's easy, but complain, those who know how to report a problem play them, and somewhere it will sort.

Against anyone who provides factual material that is useful, we can discuss the reasons and attempted mediation with either ArenaNet or the ISP.

And Google and the specific posts are there to say how to do all this, if after searching and reading you boredom bnen undergo the lag and savor ... Who seeks a solution finds it! Who just wants to complain well he complains.

@crepuscular.9047 said:as for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help

Which will make meta events in some maps, such as Auric Basin, Tangled Depths, and Dragonstand, fail due to insufficient player numbers. Assume 90 players per map IP. For Auric Basin and Tangled Depths, that would average around 15 ppl per lane. For Dragonstand, it would be around 20. For central Tyria, it would be about 20 people per wurm for triple trouble.

@Hesione.9412 said:

Which will make meta events in some maps, such as Auric Basin, Tangled Depths, and Dragonstand, fail due to insufficient player numbers. Assume 90 players per map IP. For Auric Basin and Tangled Depths, that would average around 15 ppl per lane. For Dragonstand, it would be around 20. For central Tyria, it would be about 20 people per wurm for triple trouble.

those maps doesnt have massive lag spikes due to some factors

• the burn phases are happening at different intervals
  • players are more spread out as opposed to all stacking at a single point
  • there are more boss mechanic that interrupts players attack; Karka Queen is probably the best example, people have massive skill lag, but as soon as KQ takes down a bunch of player with her roll the skill lag disappears
  • HoT and PoF are probably running on different tiered servers to handle the larger maps

another possible factor, as I have some experiences with IT infrastructure migration, and just my hypothesiseach unique map is basically a virtual machine image, and in my experience, a migrated virtual machine image will not always perform on par with one that was built fresh on the new mainframe

@crepuscular.9047 said:

those maps doesnt have massive lag spikes due to some factors
  • the burn phases are happening at different intervals
  • players are more spread out as opposed to all stacking at a single point
  • there are more boss mechanic that interrupts players attack; Karka Queen is probably the best example, people have massive skill lag, but as soon as KQ takes down a bunch of player with her roll the skill lag disappears
  • HoT and PoF are probably running on different tiered servers to handle the larger maps

another possible factor, as I have some experiences with IT infrastructure migration, and just my hypothesiseach unique map is basically a virtual machine image, and in my experience, a migrated virtual machine image will not always perform on par with one that was built fresh on the new mainframe

Your suggestion was to reduce PvE map population by 1/3. Your comments above are unrelated to your suggestion to reduce player map population by 1/3. You're moving the goalposts.

I don't think the lags in PoF and so on have to do with the player amounts. Just went to Crystal Oasis for daily vista. In whole Amnoon I have seen 1 player only, yet the map lagged like crazy and also showed an average ping of 305 and nothing wrong with the internet on my side. Besides, when Pof was out the map had tons and tons of players and no lag.

@Hesione.9412 said:

Your suggestion was to reduce PvE map population by 1/3. Your comments above are unrelated to your suggestion to reduce player map population by 1/3. You're moving the goalposts.

get your context right, i had always referenced world boss, you're the one that's moving the goal post, dont say you have finished reading a book by just reading the final page

this is what I wrote

@crepuscular.9047 said:...The source of the lag can be trace down to a common cause, the amount of player skill used within an area, nothing demonstrates this more than world boss fights...The only way I can think of is to mitigate this is Anet change the meta to encourage smaller zerg fights... no down state certainly will help, because as soon as a player is dead he cant spam any more skills in the areaas for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help

@Healix.5819 said:

@Hesione.9412 said:Which will make meta events in some maps, such as Auric Basin, Tangled Depths, and Dragonstand, fail due to insufficient player numbers.

If they were actually going to drastically lower the caps, they would adjust the events to compensate. That said, these events scale for 3+ per lane.

Still, not the way to go. If it were me, I would increase the player cap.Decreasing it seems like a cheap solution. This is a MMO after all. I like seeing lots of players at events.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

get your context right, i had always referenced world boss, you're the one that's moving the goal post, dont say you have finished reading a book by just reading the final page

this is what I wrote

The source of the lag can be trace down to a common cause,
the amount of player skill used within an area
, nothing demonstrates this more than world boss fights
...The only way I can think of is to mitigate this is Anet change the meta to encourage smaller zerg fights... no down state certainly will help, because as soon as a player is dead he cant spam any more skills in the area
as for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help

Your comment stands as "as for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help"

You've continued to try to argue against me, by waving away my points which all relate to: reducing map populations by 1/3 will cause problems on multiple maps.

I never talked about lag.

As for you "i had always referenced world boss", no you didn't. as for PvE, reducing the map population by 1/3 will help doesn't relate to a world boss. Reducing map population by 1/3 would be a permanent change, irrespective of whether a particular world boss event was currently happening on that map. Irrespective of how far apart the world boss event is (e.g. triple trouble).

Or did you mean, instead, that Anet should decrease map population by 1/3 only for the specific map where the specific world boss is occurring, and then lift the population cap afterwards? Or cap the number of players in a specific x, y, z location to 2/3 of what the current player limits are?

@crepuscular.9047 said:The source of the lag can be trace down to a common cause, the amount of player skill used within an area, nothing demonstrates this more than world boss fightsagreed

Judging by standing in town near the entry WP, it's amazing to see how many players do their fancy footwork which can only be done with macros or some injector.

Lengthening the cooldowns in WVW did NOT help as a mitigation technique.

@ReActif.9251 said:Your reactions without log or traceroute to know the factual elements and server in question or if it is really related to the server or to the transport or your ISP comes back to contact a hotel chain and howl while crying that the bed is null, without saying of which hotel it is nor the room number. Or cry that the gas station has pumps that do not work without saying which one it is and found that the tanker is making fun of you for not reacting, seriously ... you do not understand or is the concern in your complaints?

So instead of spending hours complaining, read the posts on how to report a problem and make the kitten traceroute and provide it and maybe you will even discover that the lag comes from a bridle of your ISP during this period of Covid and that the game has nothing to do with it and we will see if you can complain to it or come and say that finally you were wrong, I doubt it, most will continue to complain because complain it's easy, but complain, those who know how to report a problem play them, and somewhere it will sort.

Against anyone who provides factual material that is useful, we can discuss the reasons and attempted mediation with either ArenaNet or the ISP.

And Google and the specific posts are there to say how to do all this, if after searching and reading you boredom bnen undergo the lag and savor ... Who seeks a solution finds it! Who just wants to complain well he complains.

I did provide how to fix this situation:3) Use a VPN specifically designed for gaming. In certain cases this VPN can put you lower in the bucket so to speak, but its not 100% certain why this is the case. This has reportedly worked very well for some OCX players.4) Do the in game ping test / character select screen or restart client trick. This trick has been around for several years. On map load, have your game options open, and observe the ping for the game server to you in the lower right hand part of the window. If it's not your normal ping (if your normal ping is 100 and it is 300+) on map load then you are likely de-prioritized and will have server lag. Then use your options menu and go to character select screen, and then log back in on the same character. You may need to do this up to 3 times before confirming that you have to fully restart the client. If you restart the client twice, then the map appears to not have remaining space left for you not to be de-prioritized.

Most of the lag people are talking about has to deal with how Anet does server load balancing. For some reason the game servers are being told to de-prioritize certain clients upon either entry of a map or when an overload condition exists, but by doing so the server that would normally handle the packets and deliver to the client doesnt and lets them just pile up.

This lag exhibits not on a physical basis, but based on a server farm you connect to, and isn't consistent across multiple clients on the same network.

In my opinion some people are suffering "major" network lag, but also many are suffering some minor server lags when there is a lot of players in same locations.

Minor lag is when you FPS drops very low and actions aren't as smoot as they should be. Major lag is when everyting just stops fully for second or few. Full stops are usually network lag as lost of packets in network. In some cases major lags happens in server side, but usually in some massive events. Mostly what I see is FPS droping low.

I play in EU, example Legendary ley-line causes me sometimes, not allways, major lag, but Dragon Bash situation often cause minor lag, specially if there is alot of players in same spot. So I don't have so much major lags that people here talk, just some minor mostly. Also I have zero login game issue. How ever there is some issues, even I can "feel" them in the game.

My point is that people seem however suffer the lag issues as little different ways. What isn't possible in server based lag, more like network lag or combination of both.

@"Friday.7864" said:The only thing this many people have in common is playing on the same server, nothing else.Dozens of Internet providers having issues or dozen of different PC configurations having performance issues at the same time is nonsense.Opb62Ex.pngfrC6nf8.png

Except, they could all be using the same Tier 1 backbone, as there are only a few available.

You would have ask each and every one use a program like PingPlotter to find which Tier 1 backbone is in use.

(And, it's possible more than one of the 7 or so is having issues at the same time.)