What would you expect/hope for in a possible GW3 lorewise?

Cynder.2509

I don't know, I'm just interested and i have too many suggestions of my own that would take hours (maybe even days) to write here so I'm asking others for their input.I'm very invested into this world, lore and story and I already write my own kind of story as a novel project for several years.However, do you think the world will develop into a more futuristic setting one day or something else? What are your thoughts on the whole thing?Let me hear.Have a nice weekend!

The same thing I wanted from GW2: visiting new lands, and not just sticking to old places and its neighbors.

That said, I don't expect a GW3 to happen in this decade. Compared to GW1, the effort of unlocks is far higher in GW2, and more costly, too, thanks to the gemstore.

But if they were to end the Elder Dragon threat with the next expansion and season, for example, and move into GW3 immediately after, there aren't many potential plots established that could be expanded into a future threat beyond that of Utopia's plot and the related / practically the same "eldritch threat from the Mists". Whether this takes place a few decades after GW2, or centuries, wouldn't matter too much. The premise could be that the removal of the Elder Dragons has brought forth the attention of "a mysterious, unknown entity that sought to destroy all life" who "slowly extinguished the light of the Old Gods, but was quelled by the rising power of their successors."

Though if they were to revisit the Utopia plot, I'd want it as a GW1 expansion, personally.

There aren't too many obvious story hooks for a GW3 atm, assuming GW3 takes place after all of the dragons are dealt withThere are only 2 I can think of off the top of my head:1.Why did the gods leave tyria?1b.Human original homeworld?

2.Going super far back and playing as the original 5 races vs the elder dragons.

Most of the other story threads are either not worth making a whole game around, or can be done better in GW2.

So it's likely a new threat or story hook would have to be invented for a GW3.Personally I'd just love to see a big time skip, another 250 years or so. I just want to see how the races grow and change.

But as far as story threads go for GW3? Aliens. We already have a couple of very subtle hints at some other destroyed planets and inhabitable planets. A threat so big all of the races of tyria have to band together, and the new game takes place off of tyria and on some other planet.You could even do a new version of Pre-searing Ascalon as the opening of the game.

But this is also a big problem with Guild wars 2/3. Most of the reasons I want a GW3 are gameplay wise. As far as the story goes the universe isnt built to last for the next 10 years as is, it just doesnt have the scope atm.

Seeing new continents, new races, new local threats.A world ending over the top threat trying to be bigger than Elder Dragons would be boring, local/personal/political trouble are better at long lasting plot material.Charrs unlocking electricity & modern day computers, their city transitionning from "metal junkyard" to "proper steel & glass cities/fortresses".Asura building new colonies and expanding their gate network.Evolution : Charrs get straighter backs from standing on their legs, Asura gets taller from living on the surface of the world with similar head size, eyes gets a bit smaller from not needing to catch as much light underground.The aftermath of Joko's death and how eternal life in undeath remained positively seen in Elonian culture, with undead citizen growing in number.

Some potential ideas for GW3 that I would be interested in:

• The rest of the continent(s) that have never been visited yet (We've only explored a tiny portion of the global map so far in GW1 and GW2). Maybe an explanation of why the elder dragons weren't interested in those regions to begin with (maybe an even more powerful force prevented them from going or gaining magic there)
  • A prequel with origin stories explaining what exactly happened prior to GW1. There have been plenty of references to ancient races/events (fall of the Jotun, Mursaat leaving due to the elder dragon threat, leaving of the Six, etc.) that have been vaguely mentioned here and there, but nothing concrete has been said about such events. Maybe even make some of those playable races to experience the events firsthand.
  • Dealing with the long-term aftermath of killing the Elder Dragons if magic does collapse/go even more unstable in GW2 if replacements are not found or are not enough to contain the released magic (possibly with another time jump after the events of GW2). Another, even bigger threat could be drawn in by the power vacuum and excess magic from the elder dragon deaths.

@"Poormany.4507" said:

• The rest of the continent(s) that have never been visited yet (We've only explored a tiny portion of the global map so far in GW1 and GW2). Maybe an explanation of why the elder dragons weren't interested in those regions to begin with (maybe an even more powerful force prevented them from going or gaining magic there)This isn't exactly correct.

Wile Tyria isn't Earth, and doesn't exact follow Earth's environmental norms(though I have seen some great justifications for why Tyria's environments are placed like they are), Anet does seem aware that the further north/south you go of the equator, the colder it becomes, eventually reaching a point were it becomes generally unlivable for any human, or human like, species, without modern technology and supply routes.

While the map we got of Tyria in S2seen here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Tyria_%28world%29_map_2.pngshows what looks to be a rather large amount of landmass north of Janthir/Far Shiverpeaks, one has to remember that planets are not flat, they are spheres. And like spheres, the further north/south you go from the equator, the smaller they become, and trying to take a sphere and make it a flat image results in massive distortion. If we take this map and actually wrap it around a planet, and fix the scaling issues, we get something likethis: https://i.imgur.com/qGVkbGt.pngIn that image of Tyria as a globe, we can see that the northern coast of Janthir, which appears to be far away from the pole in the flat image, is actually very close to the northern pole, almost around the article circle region, and that large landmass isn't as large as it originally seems. This view of the world is supported by in-game globesSeen here: https://i.imgur.com/rABbnPY.jpgAlso put Janthir at this extreme high position on the world(remember these globes are tilted) At this region of the world, the temperature would be so cold that civilization as we know it wouldn't be possible, which is why these areas of the world aren't inhabited in real life outside of very small communities.

If we take all of this information, putting a line at Janthir's northern coast, and equally in the same place in the southern part of the world, as well overlayign the current in-game map, stretched down to where the map of Cantha ended in GW1, we getThis: https://i.imgur.com/fAbpdnK.pngThe current in-game map goes to just south of where the habitable cut offline is, and the Cantha map from GW1 goes to pretty much the same spot in the south. The Norn homestead of Egil's Perch from GW1, located just above Bjora Marches' northern border in GW2, and right at the tip of the current in-game map, would really represent the northern border of Norn lands, since that would be generally where things would start to become unlivable. This is supported by GW1 itself with the closest thing the Norn had to a capital Gunnar's Hold, and all three shrines to the then major spirits, being in this region. Same with the Canthan Minister's estate we visit in the Bonus Mission pack for GW1, which was in the southern mountains of Cantha. The only thing one would except more north of this is a species like the Kodan, who themselves didn't live on the landmass, but instead of giant floating iceberg cities in the ocean. The landmass north and south of these lines would be pretty much nothing but frozen ice wastes, were pretty much no one but exiles would live.

As it stands, the known world represents nearly 1/4 of the habitable surface area of Tyira, but, due to how much water water there is in the areas not covered by the in-game map+cantha's map, we are really looking at something closer to 1/3 of the habitable surface area.

The Dragon's aren't just attack one small part of the world, they are attacking a significant % of it.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:In that image of Tyria as a globe, we can see that the northern coast of Janthir, which appears to be far away from the pole in the flat image, is actually very close to the northern pole, almost around the article circle region, and that large landmass isn't as large as it originally seems. This view of the world is supported by in-game globesSeen here: https://i.imgur.com/rABbnPY.jpgAlso put Janthir at this extreme high position on the world(remember these globes are tilted) At this region of the world, the temperature would be so cold that civilization as we know it wouldn't be possible, which is why these areas of the world aren't inhabited in real life outside of very small communities.

If we take all of this information, putting a line at Janthir's northern coast, and equally in the same place in the southern part of the world, as well overlayign the current in-game map, stretched down to where the map of Cantha ended in GW1, we getThis: https://i.imgur.com/fAbpdnK.pngIt should be noted that the globe model you use is inaccurate. The texture is vastly different from the global texture used elsewhere, having literally only Tyria, Elona, and Cantha and nothing else; and we have a different globe model which does use the same designs as the S2 texture:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Guild_Portal.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Guild_Portal_Activator.jpg

The differences are notable. The wiki images aren't great, but it shouldn't be hard to check it in-game.

All that said, even when warping the texture into a globe, as the Guild Portal shows, there's still a vast amount of the world unseen. Central Tyria is a tiny portion of the planet. Less than 1/4th of the globe has been explored through both games, because keep in mind, there's a great amount of the in-game world maps from both games still unexplored too.

The Dragon's aren't just attack one small part of the world, they are attacking a significant % of it.The Elder Dragons aren't touching Cantha, and only with Cantha can you say we've seen 1/4th of the globe (I'd argue it's closer to 1/6th though); they've remained primarily around Central Tyria, which is about 1/3rd of the combined games' interactive world maps. That makes the Elder Dragons focused around 1/12th of the planet by your measurement of 1/4th being explored.

There's been many reasons put forth for why the dragons are focused on Central Tyria, all of them more or less viable. Remember, there was alot of Tyrian history before even the Human Gods, and the dragons likely focused around where sentient races lived.

When they went to sleep it would've been wherever they consumed the most magic, and its been shown that migrating uses alot of magic, so they rarely do it. We were even able to track Primordus because of the "currents of magic" it was leaving behind. I suspect this is the reason that Zhaitan and Mordremoth decided to form strong-holds over major ley-line hubs and let their minions do the work instead.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:It should be noted that the globe model you use is inaccurate. The texture is vastly different from the global texture used elsewhere, having literally only Tyria, Elona, and Cantha and nothing else; and we have a different globe model which does use the same designs as the S2 texture:It should be noted that both globes show the same relative position of Janthir, which was also shown in the image of Tyria as a globe, made from the same S2 texture those other globes use, that I posted above what you quoted, that you mysteriously chose to not include in the quote. I assume simply to make yet another pointless argument that ultimately has nothing to do with the actual point I made in the first place.

there's a great amount of the in-game world maps from both games still unexplored too.By players yes. However, we know the actual in-universe people have explored beyond the in-game maps. Having gone to places like Scavanger's Causeway, and the western coast of the Maguuma, which they, for some reason, went to, then tracked through all of the Maguuma, to try to attack Kyrta, hence Fort Koga. Not to mention the like 2/3 of the Charr's Empire we haven't seen, but the Charr obviously have.

and only with Cantha can you say we've seen 1/4th of the globe (I'd argue it's closer to 1/6th though)Actually, I said 1/4 of the habitable surface area or the world, not 1/4 of the whole world. the massive ice wastes that not even the Kodan liven in at the northern and southern poles are pretty irrelevant.

The Elder Dragons aren't touching Cantha,Except they are. Its already been established that Bubbles is attacking Canthan ships, something reaffirmed in that little online magazine thing Anet put out before Icebrood Saga. And Anet has constantly reaffirmed the notion that Guild Wars 2 is about the dragons, the story is about the dragons, the dragons are the main badguy, and even when the story deals with other things, its going to tie into the dragons(Scarlet was a pawn of Mordy, Lazarus was really Balthazar looking to hunt dragons, taking down Joko only existed to make Aurene immortal so she could survive a fight with Kralk, the Charr civil war is just a plot by Jormag, etc. etc.)

Even if the Canthan expansion is like Path of Fire,and not directly about an Elder Dragon, the Elder Dragons will still be connected to it(like they were to Balthazar in PoF), and the attached living world season after the expansion will deal with a dragon(most likely bubbles since hes closest)

Nothing, I see no reason GW2 can’t go on forever. After the elder dragons it’s mainly a blank slate, they have a few vague things to take up and they can invent new stuff constantly. GW2 will hopefully be like wow, just continuing updating the same game forever.

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:It should be noted that both globes show the same relative position of Janthir, which was also shown in the image of Tyria as a globe, made from the same S2 texture those other globes use, that I posted above what you quoted, that you mysteriously chose to not include in the quote. I assume simply to make yet another pointless argument that ultimately has nothing to do with the actual point I made in the first place.Janthir looks a bit higher north in the human globe model compared to the Guild Portal model.

there's a great amount of the in-game world maps from both games still unexplored too.By players yes. However, we know the actual in-universe people have explored beyond the in-game maps. Having gone to places like Scavanger's Causeway, and the western coast of the Maguuma, which they, for some reason, went to, then tracked through all of the Maguuma, to try to attack Kyrta, hence Fort Koga. Not to mention the like 2/3 of the Charr's Empire we haven't seen, but the Charr obviously have.Primarily by players, which is the main case of others' argument. But it should be noted that we have no real indication the extent of lore exploration either, making your rebuttal a but hyperbolic.

And, uhm, it wasn't that people trekked through the Maguuma to attack Kryta, but that Kryta had established a trade route to the western coast, and said trade route was what got attacked, hence Fort Koga. Presumably, this trade route was established while Orr was part of the Guild Wars, preventing Kryta from having naval access to Cantha and Elona - the only way around would be to either gain access to Janthir Bay and sail around the Maguuma, or made a route through Maguuma beyond the Orrian naval control.

Actually, I said 1/4 of the habitable surface area or the world, not 1/4 of the whole world. the massive ice wastes that not even the Kodan liven in at the northern and southern poles are pretty irrelevant.When we're dealing with creatures of magical nature, can we dub it inhabitable? I mean, it's not just the kodan who lived in the arctic area, but quaggan and largos as well, and that's just what's been confirmed.

The Elder Dragons aren't touching Cantha,Except they are. Its already been established that Bubbles is attacking Canthan ships, something reaffirmed in that little online magazine thing Anet put out before Icebrood Saga. And Anet has constantly reaffirmed the notion that Guild Wars 2 is about the dragons, the story is about the dragons, the dragons are the main badguy, and even when the story deals with other things, its going to tie into the dragons(Scarlet was a pawn of Mordy, Lazarus was really Balthazar looking to hunt dragons, taking down Joko only existed to make Aurene immortal so she could survive a fight with Kralk, the Charr civil war is just a plot by Jormag, etc. etc.)

Even if the Canthan expansion is like Path of Fire,and not directly about an Elder Dragon, the Elder Dragons will still be connected to it(like they were to Balthazar in PoF), and the attached living world season after the expansion will deal with a dragon(most likely bubbles since hes closest)

Ships at sea != Canthan shores, though. There's currently zero evidence of the geographical Cantha, which by the context is pretty clearly what I was referring to, being attacked by even the DSD let alone the other Elder Dragons. For someone who complains that I don't pay attention to your posts all the time, you've been doing that to mine quite a bit recently.

As to the whole "GW2 is about the dragons" and upcoming Cantha expansion, while it's not inaccurate, 1) the commentary you're referencing is about old storylines and from a different leadership at ANet (which changed after IBS began and before Expac3 was announced, maybe even before Expac3 began development), and given how often ANet liked to change its mind, I'd say there's no way it can perpetually be accurately; 2) just because Cantha might become the focus for unexplained reasons, kind of shows that at the moment it isn't, and even then, like you say, it may not be directly about an Elder Dragon. For all we know, the entire plot will just be leading into finding more Elder Dragon replacements or some other means of saving Tyria since we can't continue killing Elder Dragons, and not about an Elder Dragon attacking it.

But that bit, is neither here nor there about the discussion that was being had.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:There's been many reasons put forth for why the dragons are focused on Central Tyria, all of them more or less viable. Remember, there was alot of Tyrian history before even the Human Gods, and the dragons likely focused around where sentient races lived.

When they went to sleep it would've been wherever they consumed the most magic, and its been shown that migrating uses alot of magic, so they rarely do it. We were even able to track Primordus because of the "currents of magic" it was leaving behind. I suspect this is the reason that Zhaitan and Mordremoth decided to form strong-holds over major ley-line hubs and let their minions do the work instead.

Personally, my theory is that when the Seers were creating the Bloodstone, the Elder Dragons could sense where the magic was going and following it, which meant that they were in the process of converging on Central Tyria when the magic levels were lowered enough for them to go into hibernation.

@draxynnic.3719 said:Personally, my theory is that when the Seers were creating the Bloodstone, the Elder Dragons could sense where the magic was going and following it, which meant that they were in the process of converging on Central Tyria when the magic levels were lowered enough for them to go into hibernation.This is most likely.

Even beyond that though, if the Elder Dragons hypothetically started off equally spaced from each other around the globe, as they consumed all the magic in their immediate area, they would start moving to areas closer to each other's borders to get at more magic. Unless they strictly coordinated their movements(Which OFC wouldn't happen) there would naturally just be one spot that winds up being the last spot of magic left, and all of them would move closer to that spot to get at the last of the magic. The Bloodstone and all that wouldn't even be strictly necessary for this to happen, though it no doubt helped the process.

@Poormany.4507 said:Some potential ideas for GW3 that I would be interested in:

• The rest of the continent(s) that have never been visited yet (We've only explored a tiny portion of the global map so far in GW1 and GW2). Maybe an explanation of why the elder dragons weren't interested in those regions to begin with (maybe an even more powerful force prevented them from going or gaining magic there)
  • A prequel with origin stories explaining what exactly happened prior to GW1. There have been plenty of references to ancient races/events (fall of the Jotun, Mursaat leaving due to the elder dragon threat, leaving of the Six, etc.) that have been vaguely mentioned here and there, but nothing concrete has been said about such events. Maybe even make some of those playable races to experience the events firsthand.
  • Dealing with the long-term aftermath of killing the Elder Dragons if magic does collapse/go even more unstable in GW2 if replacements are not found or are not enough to contain the released magic (possibly with another time jump after the events of GW2). Another, even bigger threat could be drawn in by the power vacuum and excess magic from the elder dragon deaths.

Yeah, I'd really love seeing ne stuff of Thyria (the planet) even though I love content like Cantha, the Realm of Torment and the Underworld. I think that at some point it's good to put in new content instead of refreshing old stuff for nostalgia. I'm a huge lorefreak and I'd love to learn everything about this world and its universe.Sorry for the late answer, I was absent for a while.

However coming back now I found that there are a lot of interesting answers and ideas. I love talking about the lore because sometimes it feels like it could have come straight out of my mind as I've always created my own worlds, stories and universes in my imagination.

I would like to see the Mursaat back.Yeah yeah, I know... the last Mursaat was gone in lws3 and whatever... the last Mursaat in tyria that is.There could be an entire nation of them in parallel worlds.It's my favourite part of the entire prophecies campaign.

Then, We could have a story based on a vampiric humanoid race. Like in the movie Blade, and Van Hellsing.

As far as storyline is concerned.GW3 would probably be set in another 200 or more years after the current story, which would probably mean that, with all the dragons being defeated, and no new apparent threats have been mentioned, then it would be an entire new story not related to neither gw1 or 2, unless they decide to bring back some aspects of the other games, such as tbe Mursaat, as I mentioned.However, I highly doubt it myself... as they seemed to make it pretty clear that they want closure on everything gw1 related.

Meaning... might not be a gw3 ever.

If there is to be a Gw3 I expect it to be pretty far removed from both Gw1 and Gw2.The reason I say this is because there just isn't much to tie the games together like there was in Gw1/Gw2.

Gw1 left us with a decent amount of setups to be carried into Gw2.Gw2 on the other hand has been constantly closing these storylines.. The White Mantle is dead, Balthazar is dead, Joko is dead, Lazarus the Dire is dead, Glint.. dead, Vlast.. dead.. Elder Dragons, well so far 3 of them are dead and it's very unlikely Gw2 will end before the others are dealt with in some way.

Gw2 seems to be the end for a great deal of storylines, characters and factions setup in Gw1 and it doesn't seem to be setting up anything for a future game so far.It could very well be that if Anet is planning a Gw3 it will be so far ahead in the timeline of Tyria that the events of Gw1 and Gw2 will largely be forgotten or so ancient that it's pretty much a whole new world.

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with that.. be kind of a clean slate rather than a direct sequel.Then again they could also do the 3rd game on a totally different part of the world that has had no physical connection to the Tyrian continent or even a completely different world entirely as there are so many that could theoretically be reached through the mists.

Hell they could even do a prequel origin story for Humans on their native world explaining what happened there and why they left.Maybe the Humans who did leave were actually seen as fanatics who were duped by "malicious false Gods"Would be pretty fun to have a story based there where we play a faction of Humans that rejected the Gods and drove them and their followers out of that world rather than them coming to Tyria willingly.There's quite a lot Anet could do for a Gw3 tbh but I don't think there is much they could do in terms of Gw3 being a sequel to Gw2 that would have the games connected like Gw1 and Gw2 are.. least not with the current form of the game.

I remember hearing that the devs were going to make gw2 originally deal with angels and demons instead of elder dragons. Which always makes me think monotheism, have a high creator and lesser powered beings battling it out. Perhaps the story is slowly leading to something like that.

I feel we will eventually deal with a higher power, beyond both gods and dragons. Especially since Kralk says "mother", and Jormag keeps eluding to some threat that is approaching. It gives me the impression that perhaps some long forgotten primordial creator is returning. Perhaps because the mists are in shambles and they need to step back in to keep things in line, and repair the damage that has been done.

I would imagine this creator is the one who made the gods as well, since we know the gods act as vessels for the power they poses, and can originate as being mortal like Kormir. The gods arent the beings, but rather the power the beings hold. Allowing any mortal creature to have the ability to become a god. Maybe we find out the gods are actually angel like beings. Their purpose is to serve the creators will. The creator willed for the gods to guide humanity to Tyria, and watch over them.

If there is a gw3, I feel it would probably involve a higher power, and the gods/angels fighting against their counterparts, and we must choose a side or something.