Scourge nerf was needed and is great for the zerg scene

Alec B.8905

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same ole bs from Anet.

OP one class - nerf another to uselessness rinse , repeat.

Problem is eventually with the lack of any and all support for this game mode - eventually most will get tired of the nerf/buff hamster wheel which never even remotely comes close to balance.

Scourge needed some adjustments - sure. But, this hot fix makes them literally worthless now.

Way to go Anet.

@Azreell.1568 said:Same ole bs from Anet.

Problem is eventually with the lack of any and all support for this game mode - eventually most will get tired of the nerf/buff hamster wheel which never even remotely comes close to balance.

Scourge needed some adjustments - sure. But, this hot fix makes them literally worthless now.

Way to go Anet.

Precisely why I stopped playing about a year ago. I'm just browsing the forums out of curiosity to see if anything has improved. It appears that things are as morbid as ever and you're right. There is absolutely no predictability in how a class will play at any given point in time, so it makes the expenditure of effort to gear out your character a miserable experience. I was no longer invested after the umpteenth nerf or rework of any number of classes I was fond of.

If Anet is going to change how classes operate on a whim with no forewarning, then here's a thought for the development team that could generate revenue and make it not so impactful for players. Put on the gem store full sets of legendary gear, legendary runes, and weapons. If they want to keep changing up classes so that you spend more time gearing them then actually getting to play them, then they should at least make it such that it isn't such a headache to switch everything around.

@Azreell.1568 said:Same ole bs from Anet.

Really? You are playing a game mode where class balance barely changes in any meaningful sense, which is one of the reasons it is dead.

A game mode where Guardian has been an absolute irreplaceable requirement for large scale the entire game, where necro has been meta the entire game, where ranger has never had a real spot in a zerg the entire game, where it took 6(?) years before engy had a spot in a zerg, hammer rev basically meta ever since they added it, etc.

When it comes to class balance, meaningful changes in the meta, WvW is one of the most stagnant, dullest PvP games I have ever played, if they actually nerfed classes to uselessness, things would actually change more than once in an ice age.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:apparently there is a large percentage of players that don't realize that this method of balancing can easily apply to their class as well.

What, no, I live in the moment. And the patch actually buffed most of the builds I play. They certainly aren't gonna nerf them next year!!

Though tbh I secretly want to delete all PoF specs...

I feel like we're in that paradoxical space where a nerf was 100% necessary but also the nerf we got is… clunky and weird.

In particular, the way the Greater Shade nerf was done means you're always better off taking the condi-bomb or boon-strip-ping-pong traits.

I'm sure a lot of players will disagree with me, but, I think the scourge nerf was good for the game overall, this way the less boon strip the more players can survive longer in fights and tell themselves that they are good a WvW. This will lead to less tantrums and hopefully players will be happier while zerging. Just my opinion though. I think anet was probably thinking something similar.

@Linnar.6032 said:I have no clue where these threads are coming from calling scourge the best or even the only dps option. Even before the patch scourges got very easily outdps'd by any revenant or weaver who has any clue how to play, or power core guard or even post nerf bomb scrapper. There were a lot of scourges in wvw but not because they are the top dps class

Yes. Scourges get outDPSd, but at the same time they still hog upper spots in the DPS spectrum. Typically after the revs, or scrappers. Usually core guards or burn guards aren't even taken into zergs. I've also seen some soulbeasts take top spots, but they are likely rarely taken into squads.However: The scourges are high up there. While also being high up there in strips. They do soft CC. Their strips are actually often corrupts. They provided persistent area denial through lasting / pulsing zones. And for that, the damage was clearly too high.While, when I am on a warrior, and I wanna do CC, I have to pick: do damage or CC. And it shows.

Hopefully the current change will open zergs up to give more classes easy access. I guess some additional changes are needed until more builds are actually viable and we need to see that the work is kept up. Keep the meta changing, so we got something to do!

@ASP.8093 said:

@gebrechen.5643 said:What's next.1) Nerfs for support classes: Firebrand, Scrapper, Tempest.2) Nerfs for roaming classes: Rev, Thief, Ranger

I expect impactful nerfs like the Scourge nerf. Make it so.

If you nerf everything, what will be left?

(Warriors, I guess.)

A better game at least. This stupid power creep is still all over the game.

@"Apokriphos.7042" said:Decided to make my own thread to respond to this. In summary, removing diversity kills game complexity and challenge, driving players and revenue from the game.Well yes, you're right. That's what the necro dominance has always done, removed diversity. Pushed every other ranged builds away in favor of a homogenized backline of 40-60% necros in a zerg.

If necros where just deleted now, straight up... we'd see more variation filled by other classes. I could easily imagine the meta shifting to have no traditional backline and instead pushing heavy melee using reaper, going back to having the old focus parties as their new "backline".

But of course, that's probably not what we're going to see. When I ran this evening, there was literally no difference in enemy zerg compositions. Which I suppose is good in one way - at least they didnt seem to be doubling up on scourges to make up for the lost AoE, lol. Because that would be... removing diversity.

A few days after the patch and we can already see that the balancing was successful and we now have more class diversity in squads. Besides Scourges we now see an equal amount of Reapers!

I think Necro might now have the most equally balanced specializations. Reaper, Scourge, even core Necro, all alive and well in the wvw scene! So many different ways to play the class and to adapt to different fighting styles that it is making it even more interesting than before.

Let us see how this will evolve with new tactics etc! We may end up with only one at the end but for now it s fun!

Its becose players start to realize that 2 target aoe on any aoe skill its uselles and from now scourge gm trait sand savant its first real selfnerf trait in gw2, so they try to find other options to be usef in fight. So lets w8 2 weeks and see where all they go - some will stay on scourge an be easy outplayed by others muth beter aoe dps or suport that have 5 target aoe , some will change class nad some will leave game. Just w8 an see what will be next :) Players usualy dont like the way how anet make balance paths and last next day hotfix loks like they dont know what they do in balance team- no one like to be treated like this especially in pvp games so i will be not surprised if A part of The main scourge players will leave game soon, nad if in wvsw really where so many scourges it may have some impact on The wvsw nad whole game :) just w8 :)

Scourge was nerfed in its aoe, which is great!

Manifest Sand Shade

• Damage: 27 (0.1)
  • Torment (1s): 22 Damage, 32 Damage if Moving
  • Number of Targets: 2
  • Duration: 15 seconds
  • Maximum Count: 3
  • Count Recharge: 8 seconds
  • Radius: 180
  • Range: 900

Can we finally revert that nonsense above? Or is there any other spec-mechanic in the game that has a multiplier of 0.1, deals 1s of torment and hits 2 targets?

I totally understand the face-roll and AoE criticism on Scourge. Admittedly I started playing it in a zerg because I wanted to have a more laid-back experience where I don't have to be super focused all the time. Scourge allowed me to do that and still be quite effective. (At least I think/hope I was, LOL.)

But reducing the number of targets on the big shade from 5 to 2 is ridiculous. It just makes it completely useless. Could have reduced it to 4 targets and not on own position, or 3 on target and 3 on own position, or nerf the F2-F5 skills instead of changing target cap, but why make it completely useless like this?

Doesn't make sense to me.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Taylan.2187 said:But reducing the number of targets on the big shade from 5 to 2 is ridiculous. It just makes it completely useless.Does it?

Is scourge still meta in zergs? Because if it is, that doesnt make sense to me.

Ofc it is, It still brings the most corrupts in the game, ontop of all the barrier and still has pretty strong damage

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Taylan.2187 said:But reducing the number of targets on the big shade from 5 to 2 is ridiculous. It just makes it completely useless.Does it?

Is scourge still meta in zergs? Because if it is, that doesnt make sense to me.

Not much has changed. No one took Sand Savant after the previous nerf and now it remains the same. Until Anet revamps scourge altogether, it will never die in WvW. Its design is just too perfect for it.