Official Feedback Thread about Build and Equipment Templates

Hi there! How are you doing on this subject in matter that is the Official Feedback Thread about Build and Equipment Templates?

Do you think forum reading devs and moderators are aware about what people thinks and wants from the "templates" they delivered?

Is there any chance they can make them FULLY templates and not this nonsense of broken-overpaid-overlimited templates they put ingame even when forum spoke months before implementation that it was unfinished and way too bad to consider to monetize when there was a better(but externally) add0n that did more than the actual feature?

@"DarkEmiLupus.2876" said:Do you think forum reading devs and moderators are aware about what people thinks and wants from the "templates" they delivered?Based on the amount (or rather lack of) interaction from Arenanet to us, I think that forum-reading developers no longer exist.

I think the moderators are somewhat aware of the thoughts.However, I don't think they care too much, as their job only is enforcing the rules of the forum.

The fact that we can only have up to 6 build and equipment templates is painfully obvious on my thief. I have at LEAST 6 builds that I want to play regularly on him, and that is just equipment sets - because we only have 6 build templates, i am finding that I have to adjust builds according to the usage of the gear set that I am running. For example, I have 1 weapon set and 1 gear set, both called Daredevil staff, and it is a wvw zerg build that uses full zerker gear for vault spamming. Out of all my thief builds, this is the one that for me, is "closest" to the strongest open world build that I use, so if im in open world, I have to still tweak my build template. It defeats the purpose of it. I cant even play any condi builds like dagger dagger or pistol dagger because oh whadayya know, i am limited to 6 builds and equipment templates.

On top of this, with new elite specializations coming out with the 3rd expansion, I find it a huge oversight that we were only allowed 6 builds. The pricing of the builds is also ridiculously expensive, but hey, I am willing to pay for a game that I play (yesterday I spent 14 hours in wvw after pip reset, got to diamond t3 lol from bronze). The game is amazing, so please don't hinder your players Anet.

I would like to formerly a request to increase the number of build and equipment templates that each character has to 10 by default (or maybe keep it 6, idk), and let us have up to 20 or 30 if we need. Obviously the price will have to be adjusted, maybe 100 per build and 200 per build template, but the way it is now, I cannot play build that I want to play. For a game quality of life function that took years and years to be implemented, you would think that there would have been some thought that went into it, and even if this was the case, with just how many people want more templates, im sure it is a fix that is worth your time to invest in.

Do you guys agree? How do you play different builds on your characters? I spend a lot of money on this game but I cannot afford to buy 6 builds and templates on all my toons. Does this mean I need to make new toons? thats just stupid. have to get bags/ bag space, do exploration for waypoints and a tonne of other things just go have more than 6 builds per.

In my opinion limiting build templates and equipment templates into per character basis is skritt. I have one of each profession on lvl 80...

And then there's the fact that default Equipment templates is 2 compared to 3 build templates, which is extra annoying inconvenience, would have been better if it were 3 and 3 from the very beginning.

So far I only see reason to buy Template Storages, since they're shared account wide.

@FrostSpectre.4198 said:In my opinion limiting build templates and equipment templates into per character basis is skritt. I have one of each profession on lvl 80...

And then there's the fact that default Equipment templates is 2 compared to 3 build templates, which is extra annoying inconvenience, would have been better if it were 3 and 3 from the very beginning.

So far I only see reason to buy Template Storages, since they're shared account wide.

No reason to buy that either you can save build strings in a text document on your computer.

@Linken.6345 said:

@FrostSpectre.4198 said:In my opinion limiting build templates and equipment templates into per character basis is skritt. I have one of each profession on lvl 80...

No reason to buy that either you can save build strings in a text document on your computer.

Yep, I have a Google doc with mine. Copying and pasting is pretty easy. It's the best part of the system.

The other parts of the build templates are terribly designed and implemented.

@"FrostSpectre.4198" said:would have been better if it were 3 and 3 from the very beginning.

This. Why in the sweet Aunt Jemimah was it decided 3 Build and 2 Gear was the "optimal" route on this? The only thing that makes sense with that decision was to boost sales. And agreed with the other posters: there's really no point to the Build Storage since you can just Google Doc/Notepad it. Heck, the majority of veterans have a personal guild hall and you can just save it in the Guild Message section.

I would say the bulk of people just use 2-3 builds anyways (barring exceptions like the Thief above) so you really don't need much else beyond the default you start with for the Build Templates. I understand them limiting the Gear Templates because it functions as an inventory bag for your excess gear--most of my alts have both Gear Tabs filled with Account Bound Exotics/extra Ascended that I'll never use, but I'm a hoarder so I like to have it. But for an active character having 3 Gear Templates would be optimal, especially in PvE where you can swap on the fly from Power-->Condi-->Support/Tank.

Question--let's say for sake of argument that it was decided now that all characters get 3 Equipment Templates & 3 Build Templates by default (more can be purchased) and 50 "Build Storage" slots across the account. How should ANet go about reimbursing those who bought the slots under the old system? Just giving GEMs?

@"Geoff Fey.1035" said:

Why in the sweet Aunt Jemimah was it decided 3 Build and 2 Gear was the "optimal" route on this?

Before ANet loadouts came along, we had three build loadouts," one in PvE, one in WvW and one in SpVp. These could only be accessed in those different modes. We also had one equipment loadout, which we had to make due with in PvE/WvW, plus the PvP equipment loadout, which was separate and only usable in sPvP. After ANet loadouts came along, we have three build loadouts and two equipment loadouts, plus the sPvP equipment loadout.

We still have three build slots for free, that's the same, except we are no longer restricted to one per mode. We have one more gear slot than before, and we still get the sPvP gear slot. While that may not be optimal from the player perspective, players who did not use ARC are a little better off than before ANet loadouts with no gems spent.

The big losers with the ANet system are those players who got used to the convenience of using ARC templates, not those who never touched ARC.

@Geoff Fey.1035 said:

@"FrostSpectre.4198" said:would have been better if it were 3 and 3 from the very beginning.

This. Why in the sweet Aunt Jemimah was it decided 3 Build and 2 Gear was the "optimal" route on this? The only thing that makes sense with that decision was to boost sales. And agreed with the other posters: there's really no point to the Build Storage since you can just Google Doc/Notepad it. Heck, the majority of veterans have a personal guild hall and you can just save it in the Guild Message section.

I would say the bulk of people just use 2-3 builds anyways (barring exceptions like the Thief above) so you really don't need much else beyond the default you start with for the Build Templates. I understand them limiting the Gear Templates because it functions as an inventory bag for your excess gear--most of my alts have both Gear Tabs filled with Account Bound Exotics/extra Ascended that I'll never use, but I'm a hoarder so I like to have it. But for an active character having 3 Gear Templates would be optimal, especially in PvE where you can swap on the fly from Power-->Condi-->Support/Tank.

Question--let's say for sake of argument that it was decided now that all characters get 3 Equipment Templates & 3 Build Templates by default (more can be purchased) and 50 "Build Storage" slots across the account. How should ANet go about reimbursing those who bought the slots under the old system? Just giving GEMs?

Yes or those people will now have 4 equipment loadouts.

• 3 weeks later...

We've discussed options, suggested fixes and begged for feedback or input from Anet on this topic and there hasn't been any. So in 1 months time approx, September 6th I am deleting my account and characters.
I am 1 account, it won't matter, but I am old enough to recognise you have no intention of addressing the issue though I feel you should be given the chance, because I'm stupid enough to hope you aren't the disappointment of a company you have displayed since mid 2019.

So how about pets? We should have the capability to pick the pets to go with our equipment templates. After all, if we're building an equipment template for a specific build and that build calls for specific pets, we should have the ability to have the pets change along with our equipment.

Finally, legendary STYLES and DYES! If you have legendaries, it's great to be able to have different stats, infusions and enhancements but it sucks that the style and dye can be set per equipment set. This would be very welcomed as a different look for a different build can help to ensure you have the correct build. Plus it just looks better! If you want a different look, well then you have to have a completely different set of Ascended for each build. So with 6 builds that is a lot of crafting versus creating one set of legendaries.

You've done great with the templates BUT it's not complete!

@Scatmanicus.4582 said:Finally, legendary STYLES and DYES! If you have legendaries, it's great to be able to have different stats, infusions and enhancements but it sucks that the style and dye can be set per equipment set. This would be very welcomed as a different look for a different build can help to ensure you have the correct build. Plus it just looks better! If you want a different look, well then you have to have a completely different set of Ascended for each build.That may be part of the Legendary Armoury, which probably is coming in 2021, or in 2022 as part of the third expansion.

You've done great with the templatesMost players caring for this system agree to the opposite.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:Before ANet loadouts came along, we had three build loadouts," one in PvE, one in WvW and one in SpVp. These could only be accessed in those different modes. We also had one equipment loadout, which we had to make due with in PvE/WvW, plus the PvP equipment loadout, which was separate and only usable in sPvP. After ANet loadouts came along, we have three build loadouts and two equipment loadouts, plus the sPvP equipment loadout.

We still have three build slots for free, that's the same, except we are no longer restricted to one per mode. We have one more gear slot than before, and we still get the sPvP gear slot. While that may not be optimal from the player perspective, players who did not use ARC are a little better off than before ANet loadouts with no gems spent.

The big losers with the ANet system are those players who got used to the convenience of using ARC templates, not those who never touched ARC.Yep. Basically, the big losers are the people that should have been the primary target group of the template system - those that actually needed/wanted it. The people that gained something are mostly the people that did not really care about it at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I hope this works...... Uh, can I please have a printed reference as to how these build templates and build storage works? Now, I'm a dummy.... i just use what even ArenaNet puts on my bar to fight. I have 5 characters. So far in 8 years I've managed to get to 65-70ish doing zones 1 through 15, and 3 zones 15-25 and part of the personal stories on each of my 5 ladies. But I can not figure out this build thing. What am I building? How do I build what ever it is I'm suppose to build. The game keeps asking me for a specialization but I haven't a clue what that is except maybe it is some build for all my characters. I have a guardian, ranger, mesmer, necro and elementals - one from each city if that makes a difference.So, someone, please give me a printed reference (NO VIDEO) on what this build thing is. Thank you in advance to whomever helps me. Have a fun day in Tyria or in real life.

@"torvon.6534" said:Ok, I hope this works...... Uh, can I please have a printed reference as to how these build templates and build storage works? Now, I'm a dummy.... i just use what even ArenaNet puts on my bar to fight. I have 5 characters. So far in 8 years I've managed to get to 65-70ish doing zones 1 through 15, and 3 zones 15-25 and part of the personal stories on each of my 5 ladies. But I can not figure out this build thing. What am I building? How do I build what ever it is I'm suppose to build. The game keeps asking me for a specialization but I haven't a clue what that is except maybe it is some build for all my characters. I have a guardian, ranger, mesmer, necro and elementals - one from each city if that makes a difference.So, someone, please give me a printed reference (NO VIDEO) on what this build thing is. Thank you in advance to whomever helps me. Have a fun day in Tyria or in real life.

OFFICIAL: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/learn-all-about-build-and-equipment-templates/

SEMI-OFFICIAL / UN-OFFICIAL: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Template

For your use case I would say to get equipment templates only (if you even decide to buy any templates), especially if you do not PVP. You can use 3 default build templates all for PVE ; 2 default equipment templates cover power + condition.

• Guardian : current common builds are power (berserker), condition / condition quickness (grieving +viper mix), heal (harrier/minstrel)
  • Mesmer : current common builds are power (berserker) , condition , boon support
  • Ranger : current common builds are power , heal (harrier) , condition
  • Elementalist : current common builds are power, heal (harrier/magi/minstrel) , condition
  • Necro : current common builds are condition, power , support (either marshal's, plaguedoctor, or celestial depending on game mode / role)

TL;DR:

• Equipment templates = character-bound "bag slot" that holds all equipped or stat-chosen gear (legendary) , hotkey enabled
  • Build templates = character-bound skills/traits with hot-swap (hotkey enabled)
  • Build storage = holds unused build templates (you can also swap between build storage / build templates)

Thank you Infusion.7149. I did read and re-read the Official GW2 site. I understood very little of that. Much didn't make sense to me at all. I presume the names berserker, harrier, minstrel for guardian pertain to the names of the weapons and clothing (equipment?) I get from killing a mobster or in a chest as a reward. Am I correct in understanding they have statistics that work better for what the guardian does than for other professions such as my mesmer or necro, etc?

I solo only because I do not do well in groups or in fighting (I'm too slow in figuring out what to do). I do not do dungeons or any other special group things like fractals. I have managed to help out with a few 'world' aka zone bosses - a warm and a fire eater and a purple monster in a swamp. I died mostly, but later when I tried again, those zone bosses died so fast I didn't have time other than hitting one or two skill buttons. Rewards for those bosses were not much, so I haven't bothered with them.

Mainly I stick with the explorations. I fail at any jumping puzzles including the so-called easy ones. I did get credit for a couple of them when someone 'transported' me to the finish line. That wasn't fun, nor did I feel like I accomplished something. So, I stick with the views, hearts, waypoints and points of interest. I like to try to find those goggles for diving into water.. I have vertigo, so I don't look after I hit the jump button. When I'm in an area, I walk around and check out every cave or building I can enter. If more than 3 monsters attack me, I usually die, but sometimes I surprise myself and do survive. Wish I could remember what I did to make that happen. I don't use hot keys, just the buttons on each side of the red health meter. As for hero points, I just click on each line starting from the first one until it fills up, then the next one, etc.

I see the picture of the "build template" - now I understand what I see with specializations. So each of those lines are specializations. I'd rather mix them up if I could. Some aren't helpful at all such as the Neco pets. I tried them and they only attack what I'm attacking. I'd rather have them attack something else while I'm fighting the other mobster. So, I don't like them at all. They really don't kill very fast if at all. I tried letting them kill a mobster and I didn't do anything other than target that one mobster. I could kill that mobster faster. LOL

The second line - unofficial wiki link is a lot easier to read and understand. Thank you very much for that. I shall study and re-read it and try out the information the best I can. I'm not sure about 'roles'. I guess my role is what ever I make up.

I appreciate your time and effort to assist me in learning more about GW2. :)