Help me make a suboptimal build as optimal as possible? lol

Rainshine.5493

So I'd like to putz around on my baby druid (still need some hero points, but) with a staff in open world.

What I plan to do on her:1.Use Staff, for theme and fun visuals

1. Event trains (see below)
  2. Putzing around on my own in PvE

If/when I finally max out the Druid line, and if I feel like I have a better grasp on the class (returning after many years gone in GW2) I will look at some of the meta raid/fractal builds, but not yet.

What I WOULD like to do is be reasonably competent on my own, while tossing out plenty of buffs/heals in event trains. I looked at metabattle and found Event Staff Farmer, but it claims to have little soloability. I've been testing trying to just use a longbow to solo and doesn't seem too painful so far (although I prefer shortbow tbh gameplay-wise) but maybe I just haven't hit the right content yet. :tongue:

Can anyone give suggestions to let me keep my staff/buffing/healing setup without being miserable if I go off on my own?

@Rainshine.5493 said:So I'd like to putz around on my baby druid (still need some hero points, but) with a staff in open world.Can anyone give suggestions to let me keep my staff/buffing/healing setup without being miserable if I go off on my own?My suggestion is to leverage the additional Build and Equipment Loadout slots you get for free.Its a nice dream to do a comfortable amount of damage as well as spamming boons/support.But the way GW2 works is that your results are much better when you focus on one or the other.The Build and Equipment templates can be hotkeyed so you can just swap between a support spec/gear when doing group events, then back to a more damage oriented solo-friendly build any time you are out of combat.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Rainshine.5493 said:So I'd like to putz around on my baby druid (still need some hero points, but) with a staff in open world.Can anyone give suggestions to let me keep my staff/buffing/healing setup without being miserable if I go off on my own?My suggestion is to leverage the additional Build and Equipment Loadout slots you get for free.Its a nice dream to do a comfortable amount of damage as well as spamming boons/support.But the way GW2 works is that your results are much better when you focus on one or the other.The Build and Equipment templates can be hotkeyed so you can just swap between a support spec/gear when doing group events, then back to a more damage oriented solo-friendly build any time you are out of combat.

Ahah, I'm still playing about with that since I got back. Thanks so much, I will definitely do a deeper dive and get those set up. Had no idea you could hotkey. :)

I still don't get why the "Staff Farmer" as base idea is not good choise, if someone gonna solo in open world content and do some events. I mean it's not so far from berseker build anyway. Ranger/Druid (longbow/staff) can not do much damage anyway (both weapons has low damage) compared to some other classes. As for support "healer" that's so situation build anyway, only for team based content.

I mean while maximazing damage is most cases best option in this games combat style. It's not always the best option to all classes in all situations. Because it's all about survivability. Most the time if team or solo player can kill enemy fast, damage is then best survival option. But when they can't kill the enemy fast, then sometimes defensive options can benefit the situation. Even if it's very rare in this games combat system, where all defensive stuff has weaken and often has very little meaning. There is only so few classes what can heal more or have good active defensive abilities.

I do understand the idea having different gears for different content.

I ques, my point is that Druid has alot of healing options, so ignoring healing attribute, just because maximazing damage, is it really best for survivability, when doing solo open world content or be part of events?

@Lumikki.1725 said:I ques, my point is that Druid has alot of healing options, so ignoring healing attribute, just because maximazing damage, is it really best for survivability, when doing solo open world content or be part of events?The difference is night and day. The effectiveness of traiting and gearing towards support on any class that has a valid spec is massive. Supporting players in large meta events can be challenging and a lot of fun. Traiting and gearing specifically for it instead of some watered down variant is a massive difference.You don't want your DPS toon in Soldiers, you don't want your support toon in Viper's.

Druid specifically is not a healer on the same level as other options. People who think that untraited/geared Druid's healing is decent probably haven't played Tempest or Ventari Rev. It does however perform decently with good gear. What druid does well is Boon spam. Gearing for both Heals and Concentration is really a fantastic way to play support druid in Large events. This leaves you with the option of running Minstrel's or Harrier's.Solo, running either of these gear sets would make common trash mobs around gathering nodes on Core maps even a chore just by how long it took to kill them.

Anyways... doesnt really matter right? We have gear and equipment loadouts now and stat-selectable exotic armor is pretty easy to come by.No reason not to play both if you want, or don't if you would prefer not to.

First I do understand you point about healing and the effectiveness of class doing what it's doing. No disagreement there at all.

However, if I'm soloing example in HoT content in open World as Druid using longbow and staff, is Berserker's gear best for Survival?I quest what I'm trying to ask is, that been the effectiveness as doing one thing, example damage, doesn't neccessary mean it's best for survival, does it?Or are you saying that Druid should not roam in open world at all, but change as Ranger to totally different build?

I once made a weird ass support condi druid.

It used seraphic stats. Axe/torch and staff with Quickdraw and ancient seeds.

Had quite the CC potential, usable damage (not top tier) and decent support (not top tier either).

Its decent in crowd control and has good tagging potential. The utilities are not set in stone, change them as you see fit. Just keep hard CC present to keep the ancient seeds up. Spirits and traps work well and you could also use a warhorn instead a torch etc.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PO1Ac+ZlFwoYMMO2JW6Opt9SMfCA-zRJYoRH/YEPFiUBGHA-e

it looked something like that.

Marshal stats could also work quite well.

Don't bother with a druid for solo open world....or anything. I went down that very long road and became really disappointed. I had a difficult time and killing anything takes too long. The profession explanation is over hyped. You end up heavily relying on your pet and your attacks with staff don't do much damage. Going to celestial was disappointing, the skills are mostly healing and you don't get much extra damage. As well it doesn't last long enough to really be useful. I tried several builds using staff, all had been pathetic. Even the animation of firing a beam from your staff was lame. It would be the same as if you mounted a laser pointer to the end of a broom. While leveling up my druid I ended up always relying on my bow which basically defeats the purpose of using a staff for a build that comes with one. I really wish I went with soulbeast. But for now I'm sticking with core ranger.

Druid really needs to be revamped. The Druid profession from another popular game performs significantly better! Even the priest from that same unmentioned game performs way better as a healing class then what the Druid here does.