Gathering tool selection.

I'm done with normal gathering tools, tired of carrying around multiple sets and sometimes running out of tools. Normally i search in forums, Reddit, YT and the answer is there, but gathering tools have changed a lot over time, so answers vary a lot.

I'm going to buy infinite tools.

• I don't care about "flashy".
  • I'm not going to spend ungodly hours farming, i just farm when i have to go somewhere for something else. (metas, world bosses, etc). Or dailies.
  • Farm speed is not decisive, since i won't have 10 tons farming winterberries.
  • I'll be buying gems, my playing time is somewhat scarce.

I don't really care about profitability or ROI, i just want good tools for my money. Extra gold is always appreciated, i like to be self sufficient in game, craft my stuff. For the skins and cosmetics (and support the studio), i just use CC.

It seems Volatile Magic and Unbound Magic are good and popular. Or i could buy something gems->gold and buy the glyph off the TP? Or it's better to have non matching tools and buy individual tools?

Any help appreciated.

If speed, look and any other bonus is not of your interest, then you might get the Unbreakable Gathering Tools.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unbreakable_Gathering_ToolsThey're similar to normal gathering tools, but they have infinite uses, they come in a pack with the 3 gathering tools and costs 2400 gems.

August sales will come next month, cross fingers for these tools to get on sale, Anet is very generous with this and been putting them at 50% cost for a totlal of 1200 gems for the previous two year's august sales, a must buy in your case.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gem_Store/Anniversary_Sales

@disForm.2837 said:It seems Volatile Magic and Unbound Magic are good and popular. Or i could buy something gems->gold and buy the glyph off the TP? Or it's better to have non matching tools and buy individual tools?

If you want volatile or unbound you should get those sets directly because ...Unbreakable Tools - 2,400 gemOptimistic price for 3x glyph of volatility600g -> 1900gemsOptimisitc price for 3x glyph of the unbound180 -> 600gemsTotal price for tools4300gems for volatility3000gems for unbound

Price for the bundles that include the glyphs2700gems

If your main goal is getting materials for your own use then you might want to consider glyph of the prospector, tailor, leatherworker and forester as well. They aren't necessarily the most profitable but they add a steady supply of materials you might need.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Get the unbreakable ones. I got a set and miss them every time I switch characters....

As far as glyphs go, focus on that afterwards, you can buy a few every so often from the TP.

Specifically when the glyph you want shows up in the current Black Lion Chest loot table. Although you could just set a buy order for what you think is a good price if you don't mind tying up a chunk of gold for a while.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Get the unbreakable ones. I got a set and miss them every time I switch characters....

As far as glyphs go, focus on that afterwards, you can buy a few every so often from the TP.

Specifically when the glyph you want shows up in the current Black Lion Chest loot table. Although you could just set a buy order for what you think is a good price if you don't mind tying up a chunk of gold for a while.

the glyphs are not always available on the TP?

@disForm.2837 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Get the unbreakable ones. I got a set and miss them every time I switch characters....

the glyphs are not always available on the TP?

They are/can be but when they are not in the current Black Lion Chest's loot table they tend to be more expensive because the chests drops is the source for the ones being listed on the TP.https://www.gw2tp.com/item/88045-glyph-of-volatility-unused?full=1 click on All and you can easily see the increases and decreases to price/supply in the graph

• 3 weeks later...

@"disForm.2837" said:I'm done with normal gathering tools, tired of carrying around multiple sets and sometimes running out of tools. Normally i search in forums, Reddit, YT and the answer is there, but gathering tools have changed a lot over time, so answers vary a lot.

I'm going to buy infinite tools.

• I don't care about "flashy".
  • I'm not going to spend ungodly hours farming, i just farm when i have to go somewhere for something else. (metas, world bosses, etc). Or dailies.
  • Farm speed is not decisive, since i won't have 10 tons farming winterberries.
  • I'll be buying gems, my playing time is somewhat scarce.

I don't really care about profitability or ROI, i just want good tools for my money. Extra gold is always appreciated, i like to be self sufficient in game, craft my stuff. For the skins and cosmetics (and support the studio), i just use CC.

It seems Volatile Magic and Unbound Magic are good and popular. Or i could buy something gems->gold and buy the glyph off the TP? Or it's better to have non matching tools and buy individual tools?

Any help appreciated.

As someone who needs to maximize my time as well due to work, girlfriend, life in general - reducing time spent gathering means more time to do other things in game I enjoy. These are the tools and glyphs I recommend and what I personally use:

Consortium harvesting sickle: it is the fastest sickle for gathering plants. I also recommend slotting this with Glyph of reaping (AoE gather) which will greatly speed up gathering in a maxed out guild hall, clusters of plants in open world, WvW towers and keeps, and a home instance if it's your personal one (doesn't work in other people's - shame on you anet for removing this from players who purchased this with real money after the fact). You can animation cancel the after cast as soon as the pick strikes the plant as well.

Unbound magic gathering axe: this axe chops trees slightly faster than other tools available, but what sets it apart is the 3rd strike double gathers. So on trees with an extra strike or farming guild hall etc, you can do a full gather in one usage. I recommend Glyph of industry (50% faster gathering). This will let you chop trees lightning fast, which prior to this tool and Glyph was my most hated thing to do.

Unbound mining pick: This tool gathers faster than other mining picks and does it differently by giving a wind up and then a beam that quickly gathers the mineral node 4X. I still find this one personally too slow and want to change it in the future to a faster option if one becomes available though, but this is the best we got. In this slot I recommend putting a Glyph that gives a profitable option such as earning leather/volatile magic/watchword sprockets etc. The reason being is there is a lot of mineral nodes, many of which are rich nodes, if you're gonna have to sit there while this gathers might as well have it be more profitable.

If you aren't willing to mix and match and only want to buy one full set, the unbound gathering set is the best way to go in terms of efficiency and time saving.

I'm typing this while at work, so if you have any other questions feel free to respond and ask away.

Lastly, if efficiency isn't the most important option I recommend going on YouTube and looking at videos of how each of the gathering tools works and looks, which is what I do/did.

@disForm.2837 said:

I've bought multiple sets of Volatile and Unbound tools for my several characters, and never regretted it. Its so nice when it comes time to purchase things from map vendors that I've accumulated plenty of Vol/Unbound mainly from farming my home instance.

• 2 weeks later...

@disForm.2837 said:

@"Wolfb.7025" said:

Thanks, they actually heavily discount normal unbreakable tools compared with the rest. Seems the way to go. August-September, let's see what's in offer.

Good news, the Unbreakable Tools are gonna be on sale this August 13 with 50% off.

August 13: Unbreakable Gathering Tools—50% Off (limit one per account)

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1309197/#Comment_1309197

Unbreakable would be a decent pick for you, as many have mentioned.

Something you might want to consider - I use both the volatile and unbound magic tool set, but I lean more heavily on the unbound set to accelerate the pace of unbound magic farming. I use unbound to buy ascended back/trinkets from LWS3 maps for new toons. Eventually I'll reach what I consider a good amount of unbound magic so I'll likely get back on volatile, but if you like making new characters or new builds all the time, you might want to consider the unbound set.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:Unbreakable would be a decent pick for you, as many have mentioned.

Something you might want to consider - I use both the volatile and unbound magic tool set, but I lean more heavily on the unbound set to accelerate the pace of unbound magic farming. I use unbound to buy ascended back/trinkets from LWS3 maps for new toons. Eventually I'll reach what I consider a good amount of unbound magic so I'll likely get back on volatile, but if you like making new characters or new builds all the time, you might want to consider the unbound set.

I use Unbound for plants and logging, Volatile for mining. Seems to work out well.

Like everything it depends on how you play, what your goals is and what is possible to get your hands on without too much time or cost. Some of those Permanent Gathering Tools take a long time to see in store and other are rather often on sale.

For my own part I prefer Reaper for Harvesting plants as those are often very close as nodes and that way save time and key presses. If you are harvesting Synthesizer nodes in Homes, Guild Halls or in WvW you will very fast get all nodes that are in range with one key press. For Ore and Wood it less useful as those aren't that common to be close in range (there is a lost that show Wood and Ore nodes that can make use of Glyph of the Reaper or Reaper's Gathering Tool (can be bought from Karma vendor close by Craft station in Lion's Arch).

Here is a list of Unlimited Gathering Tools with Glyphs (they already have Glyph) that you can buy.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_tool (use Control + F in browser and look for Unlimited Gathering Tools to get fast to the part of page which show this list)

What I bought where this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale_Hatchling_Harvesting_Tool

The animation with a small Skyscale is not disturbing as it is rather small and also fast. Compared to Reaper (bought with karma) it take approximately the same time to gather all in range nodes. Combined with with ownership of Garden Plot it is a very good tool to cut down harvesting.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Garden_plot (one free from achievement and possible to buy up to two Black Lion Garden Plot)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Garden_Plot_Deed

For Ore and Wood I believe it is best to go with Industrious as standing in Drizzlewood Coast too long in one spot will certainly mean an NPC show up or you get long range snipers targeting you, not to forget zergs that run away before you can catch up. The same happens also in WvW if you are in a group/squad and just want to farm nodes from Tower or Keep that you have helped to take before getting on to next thing. An extra strike or 33% chance for directly farm all that is on one node is less reliable in that case. Sometimes Timekeeper trigger several times after each other going from node to node, other times it doesn't seem to do anything else then normal gathering. (As Glyph this item is only bound to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glacial_Logging_Tool as it is one of those few that are account bound Glyphs which you need to swap to the tool you want use it on).