Swords skills make me sad

Scar.1793

I don’t play anymore but I dared to login to see my character again.

Oh boy, they really kept on butchering this class.Now not only the damage is significantly lowered across the board, the skills are slow as hell.

So much for not separating properly PvE/PvP. Revs weren’t even top dog back when the skills used to be decent.

Man, I really didn’t miss those balance updates. Truly sad.

Usually new players dont have a decent build till they are level 80 get to an expansion and get blasted by mobs , and even with a good build making dps too low is more boring than anything .Also even if anet were planing to make combat slower i still dont get why sword 3 needs to cast for half an hour when soulbeast with smokescale is the exact same but faster and with the same or more dmg.And i dont want to start with the bugs in each patch , i mean if the cant even make a patch without rev bugs maybe they should completely change rev mechanics , even if it is no longer a rev like we now nowadais it might be better in the long run not having to be afraid of bugs or non sense balancing

I only said sword 3 is too slow compared to the same skill on soulbeast, the other sword skills are fine as they are or at least they were i havent used my rev with swords in this last patch so now i dont know , still the problem with swords is that they are the only good power dps melee weapon on rev , hamer is too slow , staff is about utility and sb is more of a hybrid a bit more orientedbto condi weapon.Revs need a good power weapon to match with swords .And no condi rev doesnt need weapons , maze axe and sb cover almost perfectly and looks like sb problems are being fixed so condi is fine

@RabbitUp.8294 said:Sword 2, 4 and 5 are your main damaging skills (besides the auto), and they are hardly slow. Unless you are hellbent on spamming 3, I'm not sure why you feel sword/sword is slow or low damage, as neither of those are true.

I can tell you never played Revenant before these changes.

5 used to be faster, and especially 4.2 got butchered. 3 was always ever since they started to change it a DPS loss.

Compare early Rev or Rev 1.5 - 2 years ago. Its pace is very different.

@Scar.1793 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:Sword 2, 4 and 5 are your main damaging skills (besides the auto), and they are hardly slow. Unless you are hellbent on spamming 3, I'm not sure why you feel sword/sword is slow or low damage, as neither of those are true.

5 used to be faster, and especially 4.2 got butchered. 3 was always ever since they started to change it a DPS loss.

Oh noes, rev isn't able to kill people by spamming in a rapid succession anymore. Still superior, faster porting to thief and superior burst + sustain. Stop complaining.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Oh noes, rev isn't able to kill people by spamming in a rapid succession anymore. Still superior, faster porting to thief and superior burst + sustain. Stop complaining.

the only one that has burst is renegade. No other rev variation.And its ports arent anywhere close to what thief can do.

its sutain is decent, but not even close to being the best

@Scar.1793 said:

Sorry, but you're wrong. Your post show a great lack of innovation with the class itself.

5 now is faster than from before.

4 is slower than it's first rework and before that it was exactly the same speed with added blocks.

2 butchered? You must be doing math wrong, 2 as of now actually makes sword viable with shield. Before it was punny and too volatile.

3 was and always a evade skill in teamfights and a burst skill on solo fights to be buffed with quickness, extra hits or modifiers. It can still hit for 10k total fairly easily on zerks.

Most complains I see show a great lack of experience with the class altogether because you only look at them in a vacuum rather than the whole entire class utility.

Obviously Revenant from now is weaker than before because of the blanket nerf but it's not weak like you so hype it to be.

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:Oh noes, rev isn't able to kill people by spamming in a rapid succession anymore. Still superior, faster porting to thief and superior burst + sustain. Stop complaining.

Hey that reminds me of Deadeyes, Rangers and Mesmers back when I played. Good times!

Again like I said in a previous comment so much for making separate tooltips for PvE/PvP... but hey no big loss PvP side, it was always a letdown since release in 2012.

@Scar.1793 said:

@NorthernRedStar.3054 said:Oh noes, rev isn't able to kill people by spamming in a rapid succession anymore. Still superior, faster porting to thief and superior burst + sustain. Stop complaining.

Hey that reminds me of Deadeyes, Rangers and Mesmers back when I played. Good times!

Again like I said in a previous comment so much for making separate tooltips for PvE/PvP... but hey no big loss PvP side, it was always a letdown since release in 2012.

It’s funny you’re complaining about power rev DPS in PvE, because it’s actually the strongest it’s ever been at the moment at 34k+.

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

It’s funny you’re complaining about power rev DPS in PvE, because it’s actually the strongest it’s ever been at the moment at 34k+.

Source? I'm looking at snowcrows right now, and they only list two builds for power rev: Boon herald at 28k and alacrigade at 23k. Power rev isn't even listed on the benchmarks list.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Source? I'm looking at snowcrows right now, and they only list two builds for power rev: Boon herald at 28k and alacrigade at 23k. Power rev isn't even listed on the benchmarks list.

It's true, it does push 34k. It's not listed because the rotation isn't really different from the usual alacrigade rotation. And even if it does push 34k, it's still not a good build to run for anything that is better than pugs. So it doesn't make any sense to list it. It's an okay build that is fun to play in pugs, that's it.

In reality you should never take notoriety. Even one other power dps class makes AP better.Not every boss is a huge Hitbox and some of your Battle Scars stacks will go into breakbars. Additionally not cc'ing with staff is just straight up trolling. The problem is that staff doesn't offer you anything for dps.

The next problem is, that your group is better off with soulcleave summit anyway. It doesn't matter what you do, Soulcleave summit will be more squad dps.

So it basically comes down to yes, it can do dps, but doing so is basically trolling because actually using your support abilities will be more squad dps anyway.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

@"NorthernRedStar.3054" said:Oh noes, rev isn't able to kill people by spamming in a rapid succession anymore. Still superior, faster porting to thief and superior burst + sustain. Stop complaining.

• 4 weeks later...

@"RabbitUp.8294" said:Sword 2, 4 and 5 are your main damaging skills (besides the auto), and they are hardly slow. Unless you are hellbent on spamming 3, I'm not sure why you feel sword/sword is slow or low damage, as neither of those are true.

Sword 3 is litterally copy pasted on the soul-beast for their smokescale merge abilities. (Smoke assault ) and its instant and has no wind up, does comparable damage if NOT better than Rev sword 3. Plus theirs for some reason seems WAAAAAY more reliable than ours as they essentially never have the issues that I have where not only does it bounce you all over the place, but it targets random stuff too. (Sentry points in wvw)

I just want block back on Sword 4, Like really giving us a mobile block isn't that much to ask for. EVERY OTHER HEAVY CLASS HAS ONE. In the case of warrior they have 3, Sword off-hand, mace main hand and shield. Guardian has 2 in both shield AND in focus and we have one which is limited too staff; Sword having block on its off-hand made it a stronger off-hand weapon. Or heck give it to Axe as its worthless in pvp/wvw now due to it doing no damage, our ONE good off-hand if you''re roaming is sword. Shield and axe are hot-garbage.

On the bright-side though, shortbow is better than hammer so if we go renegade we have a solid ranged weapon. The legend utilities might be hot garbage on kalla for WvW but jalis+Shiro or Mallyx + jalis or shiro might make it comparable to herald maybe? I dunno its begining to feel like we need a few more core weapons, because it feels like crap that we have weapons that REALLY JUST AREN'T WORTH HAVING. Its one thing for warrior have a few that are ehhh because they have so many, but rev only has a few as is. And for so many of that few to be trash makes it like "You either run this, or you dont run." Granted Axe is good on a condi-build .... wait no its not nevermind because the damage has been removed. NEVERMIND. Sword offhand for damage even for condi is now better in competitive for condi dps, than the CONDI OFFHAND..

Rework some of these freak'n weapons.... by the spirits.

• 3 weeks later...

plat 2 soloq power herald here and sword is perfectly fine and fun.sword 3 cast time is fine, given the quickness uptime you get.you shouldn't be able to use 3 brainlessly and be unpunished anyway.

power herald is currently the best class in terms of fun in all playable pvp builds of all classes for me. every build/classes else just feels too simple and too limited and less freenade holo is a close contender, but it's a bit less fluid, a bit more clunky compared to power herald, because gw2's view system is kind of weird, so power herald comes first for me in terms of fun.

@felix.2386 said:plat 2 soloq power herald here and sword is perfectly fine and fun.sword 3 cast time is fine, given the quickness uptime you get.you shouldn't be able to use 3 brainlessly and be unpunished anyway.

power herald is currently the best class in terms of fun in all playable pvp builds of all classes for me. every build/classes else just feels too simple and too limited and less freenade holo is a close contender, but it's a bit less fluid, a bit more clunky compared to power herald, because gw2's view system is kind of weird, so power herald comes first for me in terms of fun.

I think OP was talking about PvE where power rev isn´t really great

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"RabbitUp.8294" said:Sword 2, 4 and 5 are your main damaging skills (besides the auto), and they are hardly slow. Unless you are hellbent on spamming 3, I'm not sure why you feel sword/sword is slow or low damage, as neither of those are true.

Sword 3 is litterally copy pasted on the soul-beast for their smokescale merge abilities. (Smoke assault ) and its instant and has no wind up, does comparable damage if NOT better than Rev sword 3. Plus theirs for some reason seems WAAAAAY more reliable than ours as they essentially never have the issues that I have where not only does it bounce you all over the place, but it targets random stuff too. (Sentry points in wvw)

I just want block back on Sword 4, Like really giving us a mobile block isn't that much to ask for. EVERY OTHER HEAVY CLASS HAS ONE. In the case of warrior they have 3, Sword off-hand, mace main hand and shield. Guardian has 2 in both shield AND in focus and we have one which is limited too staff; Sword having block on its off-hand made it a stronger off-hand weapon. Or heck give it to Axe as its worthless in pvp/wvw now due to it doing no damage, our ONE good off-hand if you''re roaming is sword. Shield and axe are hot-garbage.

On the bright-side though, shortbow is better than hammer so if we go renegade we have a solid ranged weapon. The legend utilities might be hot garbage on kalla for WvW but jalis+Shiro or Mallyx + jalis or shiro might make it comparable to herald maybe? I dunno its begining to feel like we need a few more core weapons, because it feels like kitten that we have weapons that REALLY JUST AREN'T WORTH HAVING. Its one thing for warrior have a few that are ehhh because they have so many, but rev only has a few as is. And for so many of that few to be trash makes it like "You either run this, or you dont run." Granted Axe is good on a condi-build .... wait no its not nevermind because the damage has been removed. NEVERMIND. Sword offhand for damage even for condi is now better in competitive for condi dps, than the CONDI OFFHAND..

As someone who is currently playing both classes, soulbeast AND power rev I can tell you that your comparison on sword 3 vs smoke assault is wrong. Ranger's one (my soulbeast is full glass, berserker with eagle runes) is used more as an evade, to track a target, and force a dodge to set up a big attack after it ends.

Revenants sword 3 can straight up kill someone if they eat the full chain. Combine that with the fact that they can stack impossible odds, legend swap damage during the port, shiro heal, and gaze of darkness.. you can see why they are different.

As for sword offhand it does amazing damage, mobility, a poke with great burst.. you need to change your thinking on it.. view it more similar to a greatsword axe/shield warrior with better burst and lower sustained damage. Block may not be on SW/SW but it's on staff. If your swaps on cooldown you can use Shiro evade or trait for quickness on legend swap + sword 3 - many other options too. I'm still mastering power rev and am now getting better each day the more study I put into it. All these complaints you have really are just a matter of time and study. When I get more proficient I'll make a guide if you're interested.

@Strider.7849 said:

On the bright-side though, shortbow is better than hammer so if we go renegade we have a solid ranged weapon. The legend utilities might be hot garbage on kalla for WvW but jalis+Shiro or Mallyx + jalis or shiro might make it comparable to herald maybe? I dunno its begining to feel like we need a few more core weapons, because it feels like kitten that we have weapons that REALLY JUST AREN'T WORTH HAVING. Its one thing for warrior have a few that are ehhh because they have so many, but rev only has a few as is. And for so many of that few to be trash makes it like "You either run this, or you dont run." Granted Axe is good on a condi-build .... wait no its not nevermind because the damage has been removed. NEVERMIND. Sword offhand for damage even for condi is now better in competitive for condi dps, than the CONDI OFFHAND..

As someone who is currently playing both classes, soulbeast AND power rev I can tell you that your comparison on sword 3 vs smoke assault is wrong. Ranger's one (my soulbeast is full glass, berserker with eagle runes) is used more as an evade, to track a target, and force a dodge to set up a big attack after it ends.

Revenants sword 3 can straight up kill someone if they eat the full chain. Combine that with the fact that they can stack impossible odds, legend swap damage during the port, shiro heal, and gaze of darkness.. you can see why they are different.

As for sword offhand it does amazing damage, mobility, a poke with great burst.. you need to change your thinking on it.. view it more similar to a greatsword axe/shield warrior with better burst and lower sustained damage. Block may not be on SW/SW but it's on staff. If your swaps on cooldown you can use Shiro evade or trait for quickness on legend swap + sword 3 - many other options too. I'm still mastering power rev and am now getting better each day the more study I put into it. All these complaints you have really are just a matter of time and study. When I get more proficient I'll make a guide if you're interested.

Or, hear me out... I can drop the class and move on. I barely get on my rev anymore; As I can't be bothered to care once so ever. My warrior and ranger can out-preform it most of the time, and I have little issue killing rev's as they are really not that "Great" of a class. They have tools, they have some options but other classes simply do it better and Im tired of pretending that my rev is anything but a faded fragment of what it had been. A lot of the stuff I found fun on it has been stripped, we likely will not get a legend this upcoming expansion that I will like and frankly I am not going to change my view on a class that was sold to me as X and now is Y. They changed it, its time to move on and go back to whats tried and true.

Funnily enough I run warrior Axe/Axe + Greatsword with greatsword being my mobility weapon; And It normally can clap a power rev, heck rev's in general are just food for me at this point. Core ranger has been doing well too, Revenant will likely get nerfed again due to the QQ on the forums so Im not holding my breath as the class is seen with disdain and dislike from most of the community.

You want to be sad use hammer or staff.... Swords put out decent damage and have a tad bit of utility. Hammer and staff have more utility I suppose but the damage is just trash. Staff only gets used because break bars. Hammer gets used because a ranged weapon can be useful in certain situations. Now we have short bow though which is just better then hammer, even if you are using power. The condi weapon is a better power weapon than the power weapon. Now that is sad.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Or, hear me out... I can drop the class and move on. I barely get on my rev anymore; As I can't be bothered to care once so ever. My warrior and ranger can out-preform it most of the time, and I have little issue killing rev's as they are really not that "Great" of a class. They have tools, they have some options but other classes simply do it better and Im tired of pretending that my rev is anything but a faded fragment of what it had been. A lot of the stuff I found fun on it has been stripped, we likely will not get a legend this upcoming expansion that I will like and frankly I am not going to change my view on a class that was sold to me as X and now is Y. They changed it, its time to move on and go back to whats tried and true.

Funnily enough I run warrior Axe/Axe + Greatsword with greatsword being my mobility weapon; And It normally can clap a power rev, heck rev's in general are just food for me at this point. Core ranger has been doing well too, Revenant will likely get nerfed again due to the QQ on the forums so Im not holding my breath as the class is seen with disdain and dislike from most of the community.

Rev isn't a class for everyone, and power rev is definitely a class with a very high ceiling. The more I delve into it the more I can see how it has the tools to literally beat almost anything. It's interesting that we're discussing this in comparison to soulbeast and warrior. Not even 30 minutes ago I 1v2'd a soulbeast and spellbreaker with my rev, also fought a soulbeast near a camp who plays it very similarly to my own playstyle. He tried to swoop out and use greatsword in conjunction with occasionally 180 turn and longbow pushback to create distance.. still couldn't out pace my rev with sword offhand and Shiro port. Took maybe a good 9000-12000 in game distance but he could neither shake my power rev nor ultimately escape. I've fought the power core ranger also but to be honest I find it more of a meme. In duels with competent players soulbeast outperforms it by far.

I have to agree with you that 99% of the time I fight power revs I literally destroy them. Then I come across the one individual who plays it to it's full potential, poking, knowing how and when to burst, kiting, using staff and finishing you just in that moment when your CDs are down. That's what initially inspired me to explore the class as well.

The disdain for rev is the same shared by any roamer. The community hates thief, Mesmer, rev, soulbeast, and previously warrior was on that list until anet butchered it's traitlines, might gain, and sustain. People hate losing and what kills them most are classes built to take out their silly bunker/bruiser elementalists and other low ceiling builds. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the negativity on the forums.. if you feel that someone is starting this crap that rev or other class is OP, we should hold them accountable and demand that they post a video of them playing that OP class and dominating in a decent rank. I've personally had people who complain X class is OP and then fought them in game, who I honestly believe they struggle with PvE mobs in Tyria. You can't base class balance on these peoples opinions.