Unpopular opinion: Icebrood Saga is bad

Clyan.1593

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@"Fenom.9457" said:I'm definitely enjoying it a lot. Though I'm much more interested in the horror themes, Jormag, and Far Shiverpeaks lore than Charr civil war atm

I am too. The Boneskinner ambient stuff with the NPC's was excellent and ofc the corpse puppetry was very well done. Storywise the Charr stuff is winning out, but I am hoping the eldritch horror stuff pushes ahead more as we move through the Saga

Boneskinner was one of the best parts of episode 1, the civil war stuff has had nothing to do with horror of any form. Id really like them to actually deliver on the "dark fantasy, eldritch horror " story they kept pushing with the reveal of this. Its like part 1 of bjora happened along with grothmar with a solid set-up and now... its back to the status quo.

The civil war has utlised a more "horrors of war" theme, but I think with the arrival of the Frost Legion, it will swing back to the more eldritch stuff. Seeing the monsters (like the boneskinner) across the bridge in the final instance helped enhance that feeling

We can only hope, I don't mean to sound meh but the "horrors of war" has been something that we've gone over in guild wars. both 1 and 2 PoF was all about war as balth came back and we got to seem some horrendous acts. I also recall seeing and feeling the loss during our encounters with kralk, mordremoth, zaithan so the horror of war storyline has been driven well home in this narrative. I hope you're right and that next episode we get more of the good stuff....

While I don't entirely disagree, I would point out that Balthazar was much more of a holy war and one where there was some standard on at least one side. The forces involved were much more magical in nature, detached from reality.

Drizzlewood is just ugly, I find it really interesting to see Legion society basically implode on itself in a massive bloody civil war in the middle of a hostile jungle. The Eldritch Horror can get amped up from that once the already dubious morality of this kind of fight gets tossed in with horrific monsters from beyond the stars, very much like how Eternal Darkness used a impromptu hospital made out of a church in WW1 as the backdrop for one of it's horror stories involving an elder god.

@"battledrone.8315" said:apparantly, they are not made to be fun, but CHALLENGING. given the huge variation in class- and player performance, it went as one could expect

Well, I get that some classes are more fun than others...but when it comes down to story mode I shouldn't have to be like "oh this boss was more fun on my scourge than my engineer, or this boss was more fun on my deadeye than my guardian."

Like...isn't content where you actually have to think about your build a little more often meant for the strikes and fractals? why are you plugging this into my campaign as if my holosmith and tempest are on the same page?

@Loesh.4697 said:I probably enjoy the bosses this season the most. They are mechanically challenging rather then just being a dps sponge, my biggest grievance with previous bosses was the fact that they just took forever to kill rather then actually threatening my character with death.

Icebrood Saga is ace compared to LWS4, I hate that the topic got merged because I think Icebrood is definitely going the right direction. LWS4 needs a massive polishing imo. In icebrood there's some challenge but I'm not feeling like I should be swapping classes for a fight...

@Teratus.2859 said:I completely disagree.

LW4 is some of the best story content in the entire game imo.Yes there are some parts I am not fond of such as the cop out Joko magic excuse with Aurine but overall season 4 is great, Joko is a very entertaining villain and Kralkatorrik is by far the best Elder Dragon conflict in the game.Mordremoth and especially Zhaitan don't even come close to the epicness that was put into the Kralkatorrik encounters, granted these were made in a different time and a whole bunch of reasons involved and that's totally understandable.Point is though.. Elder Dragon encounters have gotten increasingly better since Gw2 released, Mordremoth was a big step up from Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik was a big step up from Mordremoth.I cannot wait to see what's going to happen with Jormag.. and Jormag so far has been my highlight with Icebrood saga (Not played the recent relsese though nor will till the VA comes in)

Honestly the only season of living world I don't look forward to replaying is Season 2.. it has some moments but there is a lot of dull time wasting involved in season 2 that gets really tedious.Having to run back and fore to Omadds Machine and doing the Caithe Missions etc are some that get criticized a bit about season 2 for good reason.But since HoT came out I've personally been of the mindset that the story has gotten progressively better over time.At least overall, with a few bits here and there which are exceptions but not enough to drag entire seasons down.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Is it Living World Season 4 that the OP is dissatisfied with, or the IceBrood Saga?

It was a topic merged by mods. The OP of this thread doesn't care for Icebrood saga but I liked Icebrood, LWS4 is a mess that desperately needs some refinement (Idk about the story, I don't care, I'm talking purely from gameplay it's just...bad, like, it's not very fun as a video game bad, I'm not watching a movie here). I've come back during quarantine and isolation and catching back up on LWS4 is about as much of a tragedy as any. Maps are dead, metas go uncompleted, bosses are obnoxious, the amount of identity you're carrying in your profession for basic story and open world is utterly too much.

Also I'll use this as a plug to remind that Thunderhead Peaks is still ridiculously broken. Like, if this is the kinda love they're going to show LWS4 I wouldn't encourage anyone to go around giving them your money any time soon.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

LW4 is some of the best story content in the entire game imo.Yes there are some parts I am not fond of such as the cop out Joko magic excuse with Aurine but overall season 4 is great, Joko is a very entertaining villain and Kralkatorrik is by far the best Elder Dragon conflict in the game.Mordremoth and especially Zhaitan don't even come close to the epicness that was put into the Kralkatorrik encounters, granted these were made in a different time and a whole bunch of reasons involved and that's totally understandable.Point is though.. Elder Dragon encounters have gotten increasingly better since Gw2 released, Mordremoth was a big step up from Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik was a big step up from Mordremoth.I cannot wait to see what's going to happen with Jormag.. and Jormag so far has been my highlight with Icebrood saga (Not played the recent relsese though nor will till the VA comes in)

Honestly the only season of living world I don't look forward to replaying is Season 2.. it has some moments but there is a lot of dull time wasting involved in season 2 that gets really tedious.Having to run back and fore to Omadds Machine and doing the Caithe Missions etc are some that get criticized a bit about season 2 for good reason.But since HoT came out I've personally been of the mindset that the story has gotten progressively better over time.At least overall, with a few bits here and there which are exceptions but not enough to drag entire seasons down.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Is it Living World Season 4 that the OP is dissatisfied with, or the IceBrood Saga?

It was a topic merged by mods. The OP of this thread doesn't care for Icebrood saga but I liked Icebrood, LWS4 is a mess that desperately needs some refinement (Idk about the story, I don't care, I'm talking purely from gameplay it's just...bad, like, it's not very fun as a video game bad, I'm not watching a movie here). I've come back during quarantine and isolation and catching back up on LWS4 is about as much of a tragedy as any. Maps are dead, metas go uncompleted, bosses are obnoxious, the amount of identity you're carrying in your profession for basic story and open world is utterly too much.

Also I'll use this as a plug to remind that Thunderhead Peaks is still ridiculously broken. Like, if this is the kinda love they're going to show LWS4 I wouldn't encourage anyone to go around giving them your money any time soon.

It wasn't merged at the time of my post.

@Cuddy.6247 said:

That's always an unfortuante trend with new living world maps, they will remain active for a while but they will diminish in popularity as the next comes along.

I havent played any of the newest patch yet because of the lacking voice acting, I'm a big fan of the story content so to me this is a vital part of the experience that I don't want to miss out on.If I play it now I am 100% positive that I will ruin the experience for myself rather than if I wait for the Voice acting patch to come.

Now that we know the next patch is also coming without voice acting the reality has really sunk in that I will never get to experience the Drizzlewood Coast map at it's best and most active, much like you didn't with any of the living world 4 maps when they first came out.This is also likely to be carried into the next episode as well since there is a good chance we won't be getting any new living world episodes with voice acting for potentially months.. maybe not even till next year in the worst case scenario.

I am a little disappointed that my class role never got enhanced upon as well, they did something fun with that in Living world 3 (which I expect you're also referring to) and I want to see this become more of a thing in future content as well.Hell i'd even agree with each class getting a new core weapon to use as part of a living world release, could even be an underwater one I wouldn't care.. or even some new skills to complete some of the missing sets, Such as Ranger getting a Healing Signet and an Elite Signet and Trap and Warrior getting Healing Banner and an elite Shout and Stance etc.Back in season 1 we all got a new healing skill as part of the story so it's not like Anet hasn't done this kind of thing before and they should do it again to complete the core class skill sets.

I can understand masteries not being available to maps that came before the mastery was introduced, because that would have the potential to throw events of encounters out of balance, and it would be time consuming to revisit all the previous maps and make sure that is not the case. Just look at how mounts are messed up on all maps - bunches of invisible walls, no mount areas, etc.However, they should be able to anticipate/verify any of those masteries on new maps they create. I was somewhat happy when one of the newer maps had bouncing mushrooms and oakheart essences, to bring back some of the previous masteries (was that dragonstand?) Though it seems like they have given up on that for the icebrood saga.

@Solvar.7953 said:I can understand masteries not being available to maps that came before the mastery was introduced, because that would have the potential to throw events of encounters out of balance, and it would be time consuming to revisit all the previous maps and make sure that is not the case. Just look at how mounts are messed up on all maps - bunches of invisible walls, no mount areas, etc.However, they should be able to anticipate/verify any of those masteries on new maps they create. I was somewhat happy when one of the newer maps had bouncing mushrooms and oakheart essences, to bring back some of the previous masteries (was that dragonstand?) Though it seems like they have given up on that for the icebrood saga.

I think you are thinking of dragonfall (last episode of living world season 4 with the introduction of the skyscale). Masteries should definitely be available to use on all maps. I can't think of any reason why they can't be.

Yeah, it would be good if the new maps could use features and masteries unlocked from the previous maps. They also stopped adding skyscale roosts in the newer maps which is disappointing. Bloodlegion Homelands (the prologue map) had a skyscale roost though.

@Solvar.7953 said:I can understand masteries not being available to maps that came before the mastery was introduced, because that would have the potential to throw events of encounters out of balance, and it would be time consuming to revisit all the previous maps and make sure that is not the case. Just look at how mounts are messed up on all maps - bunches of invisible walls, no mount areas, etc.However, they should be able to anticipate/verify any of those masteries on new maps they create. I was somewhat happy when one of the newer maps had bouncing mushrooms and oakheart essences, to bring back some of the previous masteries (was that dragonstand?) Though it seems like they have given up on that for the icebrood saga.

@Atomos.7593 said:I think you are thinking of dragonfall (last episode of living world season 4 with the introduction of the skyscale). Masteries should definitely be available to use on all maps. I can't think of any reason why they can't be.

Yeah, it would be good if the new maps could use features and masteries unlocked from the previous maps. They also stopped adding skyscale roosts in the newer maps which is disappointing. Bloodlegion Homelands (the prologue map) had a skyscale roost though.They don't do it because you can't expect everyone who plays the game to own every piece of content released, meaning you can't designs areas outside of a certain section of the game to require things from previous sections of the game in order to get around.

This in turn means that, while you can technically add things like bouncing mushrooms, glider updrafts, and other such similar things to all maps after HoT in perpetuity, they can't be used in those maps as a major, or required, mechanic. That results in them getting so watered down to the point of uselessness, as they have to be useless for said content, since you can't expect people to have the prior content, and you are generally not going to bother adding in these things when they won't be meaningful.

Also, constantly adding every feature ever made to every map made after said mechanic's introduction just leads to a problem of mechanic bloat, and the game becoming too overloaded with features to play.

And trying to add everything to every map makes all the maps feel samey. Having clear distinction between regions where X mechanics are used, and other regions where Y mechanic is used, creates diversity among the game maps, and keeps things more interesting over the long term.

Pretty much every MMO I can think of works this same way for these reasons.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Solvar.7953 said:I can understand masteries not being available to maps that came before the mastery was introduced, because that would have the potential to throw events of encounters out of balance, and it would be time consuming to revisit all the previous maps and make sure that is not the case. Just look at how mounts are messed up on all maps - bunches of invisible walls, no mount areas, etc.

I would say having the options in newer maps as a possibility over being a mandate. Has to be organic of course. Not every new map would need that lava tunnels or jumping mushrooms.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:They don't do it because you can't expect everyone who plays the game to own every piece of content released, meaning you can't designs areas outside of a certain section of the game to require things from previous sections of the game in order to get around.

This in turn means that, while you can technically add things like bouncing mushrooms, glider updrafts, and other such similar things to all maps after HoT in perpetuity, they can't be used in those maps as a major, or required, mechanic. That results in them getting so watered down to the point of uselessness, as they have to be useless for said content, since you can't expect people to have the prior content, and you are generally not going to bother adding in these things when they won't be meaningful.

Also, constantly adding every feature ever made to every map made after said mechanic's introduction just leads to a problem of mechanic bloat, and the game becoming too overloaded with features to play.

And trying to add everything to every map makes all the maps feel samey. Having clear distinction between regions where X mechanics are used, and other regions where Y mechanic is used, creates diversity among the game maps, and keeps things more interesting over the long term.

I see bouncing mushrooms and thermal tubes being used all the time in dragonfall to get around quickly. If you haven't unlocked these masteries you can use a springer instead of the bouncing mushroom or a skyscale roost to get a skyscale to take you to the place where the thermal tube would have.

I disagree. I think a map having more features/mechanics makes it more fun, and adds variety and longevity to it, instead of getting old quickly. There would be more things to explore or try out. That's why dragonfall is one of my favourite maps.

@HotDelirium.7984 said:

@Solvar.7953 said:I can understand masteries not being available to maps that came before the mastery was introduced, because that would have the potential to throw events of encounters out of balance, and it would be time consuming to revisit all the previous maps and make sure that is not the case. Just look at how mounts are messed up on all maps - bunches of invisible walls, no mount areas, etc.

I would say having the options in newer maps as a possibility over being a mandate. Has to be organic of course. Not every new map would need that lava tunnels or jumping mushrooms.

Yeah, some things may not be appropriate all the time. For Drizzlewood Coast though I think it was a missed opportunity since the map has a forest vibe to it. Mushrooms could have easily made sense.

@Atomos.7593 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:They don't do it because you can't expect everyone who plays the game to own every piece of content released, meaning you can't designs areas outside of a certain section of the game to require things from previous sections of the game in order to get around.

I see bouncing mushrooms and thermal tubes being used all the time in dragonfall to get around quickly. If you haven't unlocked these masteries you can use a springer instead of the bouncing mushroom or a skyscale roost to get a skyscale to take you to the place where the thermal tube would have.

I disagree. I think a map having more features/mechanics makes it more fun, and adds variety and longevity to it, instead of getting old quickly. There would be more things to explore or try out. That's why dragonfall is one of my favourite maps.

Yeah, some things may not be appropriate all the time. For Drizzlewood Coast though I think it was a missed opportunity since the map has a forest vibe to it. Mushrooms could have easily made sense.

There are mushrooms in the map.

@flog.3485 said:

There are mushrooms in the map.

I think I've only seen bouncing mushrooms in Vloxen Mine, so it's very rare if there are any, which doesn't make sense. There also is not other types of mushrooms like speed boost mushroom, as well as other useable masteries.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Atomos.7593 said:I think I've only seen bouncing mushrooms in Vloxen Mine, so it's very rare if there are any, which doesn't make sense. There also is not other types of mushrooms like speed boost mushroom, as well as other useable masteries.The Maguuma was a jungle, Drizzlewood is a forest. They are two entirely different biomes.

But forests do have mushrooms too...

Adding old masteries (lava tubes, bouncy mushrooms, oakheart essence, etc) to new maps could provide incentives for players to revisit some of those old maps to get the mastery points to unlock those ability. And if those players don't have those episodes unlocked, they might be inclined to buy some gems to unlock it, leading to more money for Anet.I agree that any such uses of those abilities should not be required to do the map, but could be alternative or faster ways to move around the map. Just like having maps for the core maps makes completing them a lot faster.

@Solvar.7953 said:Adding old masteries (lava tubes, bouncy mushrooms, oakheart essence, etc) to new maps could provide incentives for players to revisit some of those old maps to get the mastery points to unlock those ability. And if those players don't have those episodes unlocked, they might be inclined to buy some gems to unlock it, leading to more money for Anet.I agree that any such uses of those abilities should not be required to do the map, but could be alternative or faster ways to move around the map. Just like having maps for the core maps makes completing them a lot faster.

Yeah I think it's an important point that it provides a reason for players to unlock old masteries, especially for new players. The gliding from HoT and mount masteries from PoF show this. If gliding and mount masteries were restricted to only the HoT and PoF expansion maps I probably would never bother unlocking them since I don't really play those maps anymore.

I like it. As a newer player (started just after PoF released) I got to play everything pretty much all the way through for the first time before finally catching up just in time for Icebrood Saga.

And from my perspective, Icebrood Saga is the best the game's ever been. Lots of rewards to go for, best story so far, much better maps overall than the other Seasons. This is the first time since I reached HoT that I've picked maps to hang out and play in for no reason at all, just because I enjoy being in them.

Masteries are a bit lackluster this season compared to others, but that's my only complaint, and it's not a huge deal.

@Solvar.7953 said:Adding old masteries (lava tubes, bouncy mushrooms, oakheart essence, etc) to new maps could provide incentives for players to revisit some of those old maps to get the mastery points to unlock those ability. And if those players don't have those episodes unlocked, they might be inclined to buy some gems to unlock it, leading to more money for Anet.I agree that any such uses of those abilities should not be required to do the map, but could be alternative or faster ways to move around the map. Just like having maps for the core maps makes completing them a lot faster.

They can also become irrelevant because why would I use mushrooms or oakheart essence when I have a skyscale? I do hope maybe they use them in more innovative ways like with Gorseval and the updrafts to avoid his AOE. Using mushrooms to bounce around a boss and maybe a an oakheart essence to snare them up and then a lava tube to knock them out or damage? <<<<<<<<Hello, content! lol Even using mounts for a boss fight. It would be BEYOND cool by using your raptor around a map to avoid damage and get to the boss or something along that line.

@HotDelirium.7984 said:

Using mushrooms to bounce around a boss and maybe a an oakheart essence to snare them up and then a lava tube to knock them out or damage? <<<<<<<<Hello, content! lol Even using mounts for a boss fight. It would be BEYOND cool by using your raptor around a map to avoid damage and get to the boss or something along that line.

We do have something kind of like this now in Drizzlewood Coast. You can use the few bouncing mushrooms to reach bosses that are above on hard to reach places in capture points on the map, for example in Leadfoot Village. These are useful as you need to chase the boss and do damage quickly before the timer expires to capture the base.

@Erze.7253 said:Icebrood saga bores me. Can't give a reason. I stopped trying at Visions of the Past. None of it holds my interest.

Yeah it's probably a combination of things. Might be the small monotonous maps, poorly designed masteries, imo dull characters and slow paced story. The characters just aren't appealing to me. Aurene was actually quite an interesting character imo and it was cool to watch her grow and evolve and try to help you. Other than in the prologue she really doesn't do much (if anything) in the Icebrood saga so far.