Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

So I've done extensive research on this, using the Guild Wars 2 Diagnostic command line argument and finding out specifically how my ISP filters encrypted traffic.

Results:On port 80, (unencrypted) connection it turns out my ISP is dropping nearly 80-85% of packets from source (me) to destination Anet servers. I believe this is a security mechanism from some ISP's to block a lot of unencrypted traffic that might seem like data mining. I am not able to identify why Storylines Specifically disconnect, but there's good news. I switched to -clientport 443 and my problems disappeared.

RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE HAVING DISCONNECTION ISSUES IN STORYLINE INSTANCES:Set your command line argument on your executable to: -clientport 443 - this ensures that your traffic is going through an encrypted port. My results have been exeptional. Sure I had a few disconnects here and there, but I have been able to confirm zero disconnects during story line instances.

Reference: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

P.S - As customers, we shouldn't have to worry about this. I'm lucky have a network engineering background and was able to really dig into this. Otherwise most people, would just give up, and I almost did.

@"Nato.2051" said:So I've done extensive research on this, using the Guild Wars 2 Diagnostic command line argument and finding out specifically how my ISP filters encrypted traffic.

Results:On port 80, (unencrypted) connection it turns out my ISP is dropping nearly 80-85% of packets from source (me) to destination Anet servers. I believe this is a security mechanism from some ISP's to block a lot of unencrypted traffic that might seem like data mining. I am not able to identify why Storylines Specifically disconnect, but there's good news. I switched to -clientport 443 and my problems disappeared.

RECOMMENDATION TO ANYONE HAVING DISCONNECTION ISSUES IN STORYLINE INSTANCES:Set your command line argument on your executable to: -clientport 443 - this ensures that your traffic is going through an encrypted port. My results have been exeptional. Sure I had a few disconnects here and there, but I have been able to confirm zero disconnects during story line instances.

P.S - As customers, we shouldn't have to worry about this. I'm lucky have a network engineering background and was able to really dig into this. Otherwise most people, would just give up, and I almost did.

Just an FYI: This information is, and has been for years, found in the Knowledge Base ('Support' link above):https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015788327-Configuring-your-Router-and-Firewall-Ports(Just saying, you could have saved yourself a lot of research, etc.)

Routing the client through the Windows Firewall, doesn't (contrary to popular belief) fix the entire problem. It needs to be forced on the executable side too. This only addresses the router configuration and app through the firewall, which I had set up, years ago, to no avail. It's because it enables the router to in fact do all of these things (it opens the doors, so to speak), but doesn't force the app to route the data through an encrypted connection.

This is where the command line arguments proved handy, because I had spent the last week forcing port 80 and 443 and running the diagnostics option, and testing the Storyline Disconnects. Turns out for folks in geographical areas of the planet where ISP's require traffic to be routed through HTTPS, port 443 will solve that problem.

So the additional configuration requires -clientport 443, which for many people that play this game, is the problem.

My bad. I haven't perused the Knowledge Base for some time, and it's been recently updated.
It's still information that has been posted, here (and on the archived forum) for years.It doesn't work for everyone; some have luck with Port 80, or 6112, etc.

There are many tips/work-arounds found in this thread. Some Command Line Arguments, some tinkering with the router, some actions in-game, some use of 'Options'.
Sadly, there is no 'one size fits all'.

@"Nato.2051" said:So I've done extensive research on this, using the Guild Wars 2 Diagnostic command line argument and finding out specifically how my ISP filters encrypted traffic.

You saved this game for me. I was able to finish my story. Thank you!!!!

Hello ive tried all the Work arounds but nothing works. I dont get even the smallest disconnect when Iam playing in the World. Then i Enter a Story Mission and in the Middle of it, i got kicked out. Ive done the last Story Mission with Zaitan more than 10 Times and was unable to Finish it. It is sofrustrating. I lost all the fun in the game and i need to quit.

I can recommend every User that you should decide with your wallet. It can't be that a game who wants to besuccessful in 2020 has such poor technik support. This problem is going on for years.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried most of these work arounds and still was suffering from disconnects. Added one more thing that may have helped: Deactivate the 2nd monitor! In Windows, under display settings, multiple displays, instead of extend, set it to Show Only on 1. In addition to this, I used the following suggestions from the above comments: command line set to use port 443; limit framerate to 60; use windowed fullscreen mode. I don't know if this was just coincidental luck, but twice this week when the 2nd monitor is not engaged, I have been able to get through a story that previously disconnected. Hope this helps.

So I bought Path of Fire recently and in chapter 8 of the personal story I started encountering this issue. I tried a lot of fixes with no result, then I remembered that I changed my video settings recently, so I tried advancing the story one more time but this time I changed my resolution back to native fullscreen and I didn't disconnect this time. So i guess that changing resolutions may be a fix for some people. Hope this helps!

Just finished world completion for the first time in a few years and getting through the personal story was such a massive pain, some missions I've had to do 5 times and skip as much dialogue as I can, it really ruins the experience when you're not allowed the luxory of been invested in the story. It's not so bad in the shorter missions but the ones with multiple fights I just wanna scream. At the moment I'm stuck on living world season 2 episode 2. Crashes at the end everytime.

I literally CANNOT progress in the story because the quest Blast From the Past continues to, without fail, disconnect me when a cutscene finishes.Before anyone says anything or points out any solutions, I've tried literally everything listed and NOTHING works.

I shouldn't have to fight with the game just to play it. It's a waste of my free time that I have. I'm not playing this game until this issue is fixed.

THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER 3 YEARS.

Funny how this thread started so long ago and we are still having this issue.

Me and my wife stuck at the departing, we have been trying all the tips in this thread as we are a bit desperate and frustrated that after 15+ times we cant pass this story.

I wonder if anyone from this company even reads anything in this forums anymore.

@"Danger Ferret.6342" said:I'm finding this extremely frustrating as well. I've disabled my AV and my firewall, rebooted my cable modem/router. Nothing solves the problem. At this point, I'm ready to give up. Games are supposed to be fun, and having to fight not just the game monsters, but the code bugs and disconnects just ... isn't.

Search for the "Storyline Disconnects-Merged" thread. The latest "fix" (there are many supposed fixes, but the random nature of the problem can make it hard to pin down) is to add the command line argument "-clientport 443" to the gw2.exe target through a shortcut to the program.

Does it work? Who knows! But it's worth a try right?

Greetings all, hope you are all well?

Sooooo i have recently returned to the game after leaving during HOT (sorry it drove me mad!), ive spent the last years in ESO but am disillusioned with the way that game is now going.The game is amazing and i now realise what ive been missing, i love open world PvP and as a soloer the WvW here is really fun.

BUT, to unlock stuff, mounts, etc you need to progress the story and so i have been putting a lot of time into catching up.Im stuck in both living world and this stupid Departing bug.I am shocked that this has been going on for so long and folks here just accept it? for all its faults ive never come across a bug in ESO that stopped progression.I really want to recommend this game and bring my guild here from ESO (some 60+ players) but how can i with this current issue?Why is there no official response from the bugs team? Do they have one?Im an old gamer (really old), if this could be fixed my end trust me it would be done but this is clearly a programming issue.

I like many others would really appreciate a response to this thread and i am really hoping Anet have better respect for their player base than what we have to put up with in ESO.

Be Safe

@Darrack.4069 said:Greetings all, hope you are all well?

Sooooo i have recently returned to the game after leaving during HOT (sorry it drove me mad!), ive spent the last years in ESO but am disillusioned with the way that game is now going.The game is amazing and i now realise what ive been missing, i love open world PvP and as a soloer the WvW here is really fun.

BUT, to unlock stuff, mounts, etc you need to progress the story and so i have been putting a lot of time into catching up.Im stuck in both living world and this stupid Departing bug.I am shocked that this has been going on for so long and folks here just accept it? for all its faults ive never come across a bug in ESO that stopped progression.I really want to recommend this game and bring my guild here from ESO (some 60+ players) but how can i with this current issue?Why is there no official response from the bugs team? Do they have one?Im an old gamer (really old), if this could be fixed my end trust me it would be done but this is clearly a programming issue.

I like many others would really appreciate a response to this thread and i am really hoping Anet have better respect for their player base than what we have to put up with in ESO.

Be Safe

Probably won't get any response, other than the one already posted in this thread.You can try any one of the plethora of tips/workarounds found in this thread.

Good luck.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Be Safe

Probably won't get any response, other than the one already posted in this thread.You can try any one of the plethora of tips/workarounds found in this thread.

Good luck.

That's what im afraid of, its sad that game breaking issues are not dealt with.Sadly i will probably just stick to WVW and not buy any story content (like many folks i have spoken to), this must be costing them a fortune.Anyway best not dwell, i was well known for moaning in ESO and my forum bans were considerable!

Be Safe

@Darrack.4069 said:

Be Safe

Good luck.

That's what im afraid of, its sad that game breaking issues are not dealt with.Sadly i will probably just stick to WVW and not buy any story content (like many folks i have spoken to), this must be costing them a fortune.Anyway best not dwell, i was well known for moaning in ESO and my forum bans were considerable!

Be Safe

The only solution in this thread that I have not tested thoroughly is the - clientport 443 command line argument suggested on the last page, mainly because I have not been doing the storyline atm.

The poster seems knowledable though so it's worth a shot.

I would think that Anet would take notice and implement a permanent solution if any of these seem likely to be the fix, but I think they're no longer paying attention. Also if it is an isp or internet routing issue they would not be able to reproduce it easily.