Need tips to play mesmer

Toturii.2607

Hi, I am fairly new at the game and just running around doing hearts and events.

I was wondering if there are any good tips for lvling a mesmer. I am now at lvl14 with it and figuring it out slowly. Also what weapons best suit this class for damage and defense. Finding gear is a bit sluggish so just wearing what I find so looking like a homeless person at the moment. What stats on armor and weapons must one look for that will benefit me while making my way to 80.

I don't have the expansions yet so can not use anything from there as I am just doing everything with the normal Guild Wars 2 I purchased.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

@Toturii.2607 said:Hi, I am fairly new at the game and just running around doing hearts and events.

I was wondering if there are any good tips for lvling a mesmer. I am now at lvl14 with it and figuring it out slowly. Also what weapons best suit this class for damage and defense. Finding gear is a bit sluggish so just wearing what I find so looking like a homeless person at the moment. What stats on armor and weapons must one look for that will benefit me while making my way to 80.

I don't have the expansions yet so can not use anything from there as I am just doing everything with the normal Guild Wars 2 I purchased.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Welcome to gw2 and to Mesmer. Basically, I would say while you are leveling up to 80 any gear will do. The gear you get as drops and from the story are usually upgrade enough as you go. Again while leveling up I wouldnt worry about stats too much. Generally speaking, sword and Greatsword are you power weapons and scepter and staff are your condition damage weapons. They can all be fun. Generally, I would say try the weapons and see which you enjoy using while leveling up.

Once you reach level 80 all the traits and skills for core Mesmer will be unlocked and you can get more selective with your build and grear. an inexpensive set of lvl 80 armor with basic power or condition stats can typically be gotten on the trading post for maybe 5g which isnt too much once you reach 80.

It sounds like you are enjoying yourself. I would suggest you continue to play and explore as you level up. Also if you have the purchased version of the game, you should have a daily list. If yoou can complete 3 things on the daily list each day you earn 2g. So its a good idea to get in the habbit of looking at the daily achievement list to see what they are. Also the wiki if your friend. You can type /wiki SomethingToSearchFor and get a wiki page w info. The game is big and the wiki helps allot when looking for info. Players are also happy to help, but will often point you to the wiki for many things.

Good luck in your adventures. =)

Domination or illusion traitlines + greatsword is a good start.Greatsword is good for leveling, you have range, you can cripple mobs, you have a knockback to push mobs coming too closeThen sword/x for melee, but avoid it if you don't know attacks from mobs or you're not tough enough yet. Spam sword skill #2 to dodge mobs hitting you.

Try to always spam skills with phantasms or clones when CD off, because they deal strong damage and they can attract the mobs to tankA phantasm becomes a clone once it did its attack. Then you see the number of clones you have above* your weapons skillbar. Once you have 3 clones and you have skills with phantasm/clones ready, use F1 do deal more damage, or F3 to daze them / interrupt them.

For utility skills : Phantasm and clones are good, to tank, deal damage etc. Blink is a strong skill too to flee and avoid damage.Something like this gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAEx3jVYX2m5hjkS2SD-zRIURUwXE0xyPA-eStart with domination or illusion, Power / precision. Some vitality/toughness if you're scared. Illusions skills : Mirror images, then phantasmal disenchanter. Then blink.Signet of inspiration is good to, because it gives you swiftness, so you run the world faster. Focus skill #4 also grant you swiftness.

You can try with Conditions too, with scecpter/torch and Staff; but on mesmer if you're not level80 and without expansion, I think it's almost useless. Power damage (power/precision/ferocity) will be faster and cheaper.