Switching char, losing queue position

Ashantara.8731

You should be able to switch your character and keep your queue position!

This has been going on my nerves for years now, especially bad tonight when I was at position 15, then 26 after switching to another character (because the former squad disbanded and the new squad required a different zerg role).

There is no logical reason to keep the mechanic the way it is.

I would go even further in addition to that have a "Player Locker" available around respawn way point that would allow you to switch your character without having to re-que. If you were already on the map you should take precedence over all else and allow you to bypass the que and load in straight away. It would make tactical changes throughout the night way more fun.

As it sits now if the other squad has a better comp than you and you keep getting wiped until enough players leave so people can switch class to help counter the other group. The other night we had to endure 2 hours of this until we could finally change the tide. Nothings better than knowing you need more sustain but players cant switch because there is over a 30 man que.

Edit: precedence not president.... durp.

@Ashantara.8731 said:You should be able to switch your character and keep your queue position!

This has been going on my nerves for years now, especially bad tonight when I was at position 15, then 26 after switching to another character (because the former squad disbanded and the new squad required a different zerg role).

How do imagine that other players that are in cue will ever be able to get into any map at all, if some players can keep their place indefinite even when they change characters? No player like to wait in a cue, but with your suggestion there would be even less opening to let anyone in until most people have gone to sleep.

@"Excursion.9752" said:I would go even further in addition to that have a "Player Locker" available around respawn way point that would allow you to switch your character without having to re-que. If you were already on the map you should take president over all else and allow you to bypass the que and load in straight away. It would make tactical changes throughout the night way more fun.

As it sits now if the other squad has a better comp than you and you keep getting wiped until enough players leave so people can switch class to help counter the other group. The other night we had to endure 2 hours of this until we could finally change the tide. Nothings better than knowing you need more sustain but players cant switch because there is over a 30 man que.

Yes. Oh this would be a premium change.

@ShadowCatz.8437 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:You should be able to switch your character and keep your queue position!

How do imagine that other players that are in cue will ever be able to get into any map at all, if some players can keep their place indefinite even when they change characters?

How would they stay in queue indefinitely when I am still queued myself? Logic?

People leave maps all the time, and that is how the queue keeps moving. Nothing would change about that.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

How do imagine that other players that are in cue will ever be able to get into any map at all, if some players can keep their place indefinite even when they change characters?

People leave maps all the time, and
that
is how the queue keeps moving. Nothing would change about that.... except when they want to change class and now dont have to requeue...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

People leave maps all the time, and
that
is how the queue keeps moving. Nothing would change about that.So nothing needs to be changed about queues and character switches, right? Because the queue keeps moving!

When you change your character you technically log out. That's how the game is programmed. A lot of game logic is bound to that mechanic. The most important one is the game/server resources you block on the map when logged in. This should by no means be changed.

For me I think I'd settle for the middle where you can switch characters and not lose place WHILE in queue. Switching chars while in map would be fun too, and honestly if that someone is going to be in map for 12hrs and hesitated to change char due to queue it wouldn't have made a difference. My first option would be middle ground choice even though second would be nicer for how I play (sometimes I like to change character each time I die - lucky for me, most of the time my server is outnumbered). But in order to be fair, there may be pitfalls in my second choice, I choose being able to switch char while in queue instead.

Also annoying when you get DC'd.

The only advice I can suggest is to try, where possible, to have a support build/gear for your DPS profession, or vice versa. I actually went the opposite direction - I built DPS sets for my support builds for when the squad needed DPS and/or there weren't any fights, and you don't need heavy sustain to topple a tower lord.

With 2 gear and 3 build templates per character, and at least 1 piece of stat selectable exotic gear earnable each week by completing bronze (Warlord's set), it is pretty easy to set up a second build for your characters.

Guardian, Elementalist, Engineer, Warrior all have powerful DPS and Support builds available. Ventari Rev is also very strong I'm told, but don't have any experience with it. Even a healing Druid is good in a pinch, though I would imagine Healing Scourge is dead because of the target cap on barrier?

If you're the type of player who runs in a zerg around the time when queues are expected, unless you play Scourge, it's a good idea to be prepared with a support build/gear set

EDIT:

I should add, the usual culprit for "need more sustain" is lack of Firebrands. In these types of situations, you can have your Revs spend more time in Jallis putting down roads and spamming their F2 (if Herald) for stability, while if you have Condi Revs in the party, they can alternate between Jallis for stab and Mallyx for resistance. Not ideal obv, but better than smashing your head against a CC wall over and over.

@SexyMofo.8923 said:Looks like another technology issue.

In all fairness though, this is how the game works. In other MMO's I've played, you technically 'log off' when you swap characters. For GW2 instanced content, your character zones out when you swap. In OW maps if you change characters, you may not be able to re-enter the same map IP as before if it becomes full. It isn't as if this a unique problem for WvW in GW2, or in MMOs in general.

The real problem is map queues. I know people like to see it as a mark of health for the game mode, same as in OW meta maps, but in the end the barrier to entry is the maximum population permitted coupled with everyone trying to get into the same map at the same time.

As a alt-o-holic and havoc I go round and round here. Yes it would be nice but is it fair. Should the person behind you not get a chance to get in since you made a bad call of which toon to bring? Plus aren't queues also an indication that the server or map is over populated and people should have spread out more. Losing your spot in a queue is like a tax of both spread and not planning. So even as an alt-o-holic that in the past would want to play them all, no the losing your space in queue makes sense and gives people a chance into the map.

If anything I think this issue plays more towards the argument let's get a fifth map into play.

As long as this option would be available only through GemStore as a pass, Im in. I dont want to make ANet do profitless work, they deserve our money, especially in hard times such as Covid, when they are obligated to work from home. We dont pay monthly fee, so thats the least that we can do to support devs that code our beloved game!

@Widmo.3186 said:As long as this option would be available only through GemStore as a pass, Im in. I dont want to make ANet do profitless work, they deserve our money, especially in hard times such as Covid, when they are obligated to work from home. We dont pay monthly fee, so thats the least that we can do to support devs that code our beloved game!

There is nothing to prevent you from making you own donation through GEM store, if you think that they need your money to go around. You don't even have to buy anything in Gem Store, just use your CC and buy some Gems....and be done.

Paying for any kind of cue system is really not a on my list to continue playing this game...so stop this nonsense...

@Widmo.3186 said:As long as this option would be available only through GemStore as a pass, Im in. I dont want to make ANet do profitless work, they deserve our money, especially in hard times such as Covid, when they are obligated to work from home. We dont pay monthly fee, so thats the least that we can do to support devs that code our beloved game!

So wait... By that logic I should be getting my gems for free because I work at work and take care of other people.

They are at home and at far less risk than many of our first responders and healthcare workers.

Whether they ‘deserve’ my money or not has nothing to do with COVID.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Excursion.9752" said:I would go even further in addition to that have a "Player Locker" available around respawn way point that would allow you to switch your character without having to re-que. If you were already on the map you should take precedence over all else and allow you to bypass the que and load in straight away. It would make tactical changes throughout the night way more fun.

Edit: precedence not president.... durp.

Would be nice yeah, but considering that changing rule set of guild hall from pve to wvw is too big of a task for them, this is probably WAYYYY out of their scope.

well, if you want to keep your queue-placement or your space on the map when changing characters, there is obviously one thing that must get noticed:You should only keep your place in queue/map if you stay online (basically in character select). The other problem that comes with that: even if you only keep your place when staying online, people could just afk in character select to keep their queue place. So there definitely needs to be a quite short amount of time granted to you for swiching characters/relogging when dc´d etc. Either way, this will result in queue times getting longer, because dc´d players (including the case that someones internet just died and the player cannot reconnect to the game) will block a place in the queue.Although the idea of a "character locker" on the map, letting you switch your character without leaving the map or going back to character select sounds nice, i doubt that this would be easy to implement. Yes, we are now able to change our gear and build templates on the fly, but i guess changing a whole character could prove more complicated to implement than you might think.