Stormcaller Weapons, Tier 2 -> Tier 1 deleted

Ashantara.8731

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"melody.2601" said:Yeah how on Earth would you know that Anet planned to make them upgradable in the future
e051e360a49bc8886da482358273f6dc.png

I hardly consider that a "warning", though. ;) Warnings should be recognized as such at first glance. For people like me who didn't craft the set for its skins, well, we did not care to read the weapons' description carefully enough to recognize the "warning." Tough luck.

Anyway, it is what it is and players who are in the same boat as me can only hope that there will be a way around having to recraft the whole set. :+1:

That's as blatant a warning as they can give. You didn't learn from the other weapon set. You should just fill out a ticket now and get them back instead of hoping anet will again add a vendor for us to repurchase. Just don't sell them like the exploiters that ruined it for every ticket last time and they started not returning them in future tickets. They did act quickly so I expect if enough outcry day 1 they will add a vendor again

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wish the developers would pick a system and stick to it.

Sometimes the previous version is needed. Sometimes only the skin unlock. There is no consistency here and it leads to confusion. To the developers credit: they did address the Bjora weapons issue quite fast and did put a huge text wall of a warning on these (that's why I kept the Stormcaller waepons, but had the Tengu ones fuel my mystic toilet).

Unfortunately, sometimes players don't pay attention to description text. The question then becomes: how much hassle and customer frustration is it worth having a system in place where players are required to hold on to crafting components for future items, and is it worth possible customer frustration (not to mention the guaranteed customer support tickets and workload)?

On the opposite of this, it does feel more immersive and "complete" when one uses the actual previous weapon in crafting the next step, and the problem does become less an issue for future players once all crafting steps are available. At the same time it also prevents the use of to many exotics in precursor attempts, though I can't see this as to big of a part of the gambling supply.

Tricky problem I think.

@Spanex.1950 said:

Why would you immediately craft them, if you didn't have long term storage space, but read the warning and knew they may be needed in the next update?

Let's just say it again for the people in the back: you
don't
get a warning for throwing them into the mystic forge. How was I supposed to know Anet was going to pull that 'upgradable weapon' stunt again? Or wait, I should have just
assumed
because it happened before with one other set so far?

Gee, thanks. I'll certainly assume that of
every
weapon set that gets dropped from now on.
Twice is a pattern
and all that.

You do, by hovering over the weapon. Even the weapon preview in the crafting station UI shows it.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I hardly consider that a "warning", though. ;) Warnings should be recognized as such at first glance. For people like me who didn't craft the set for its skins, well, we did not care to read the weapons' description carefully enough to recognize the "warning." Tough luck.

Anyway, it is what it is and players who are in the same boat as me can only hope that there will be a way around having to recraft the whole set. :+1:

The fact that literally no weapon has that kind of text without it being a warning, is itself, proof of it being a warning.

At this point, your argument is this: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/307/020/0e1.png

Aka "it isn't a warning because I choose to ignore the warning."

@"Cyninja.2954" said:On the opposite of this, it does feel more immersive and "complete" when one uses the actual previous weapon in crafting the next step, and the problem does become less an issue for future players once all crafting steps are available. At the same time it also prevents the use of to many exotics in precursor attempts, though I can't see this as to big of a part of the gambling supply.

Another issue is if you actually want to use these weapons on a character. Say I'm using a Restored Boreal Greatsword which has Berserker stats on it, and like a good PvE'er I slot in Sigil of Force and Impact.

If I want to then create an Illuminated Boreal Greatsword, not only do I need to either extract those expensive sigils or otherwise lose them in the forge, but now for my troubles, the weapon with the shiny new effect I get back now has DIVINER STATS.

There is no 'upside' to having these weapons be used as precursors, since you can't really use them unless you have no intention of ever using them to make the next tier.

You run into similar issues with ascended weapons/armor used as precursors for legendaries, but truthfully if you're crafting a legendary, losing 10g on sigils isn't even worth discussion.

How it should have been all along:

• Get the weapon
  • Unlocks the skin and unlocks a 'thingamabob' item you can by from a vendor for 10s, and THAT item should serve as the precursor to make the higher Tier version. Would it really matter if all of a sudden players now had an Exotic Greatsword with Berserker stats AND one with Diviner stats? I'm pretty sure the Elder Dragons won't even bat an eyelash.

It's not that hard to see this...well except for ANET apparently....

Alright. Fault admitted. I never noticed that text (or bothered to read it in full) in the weapon description. So I did not know that that particular warning existed in the first place and assumed you all meant the deletion warning. That being said, I still don't think it's fair to give people a hard time for not having noticed it because said warning was in the most inobvious place you could have placed it. Could have at least made the text red or something. Make it pop and grab your attention if you're gonna put it within a little weapon stat window you have to hold your cursor over. If Anet is listening, maybe an exclamation mark in a corner of the inventory icon helps too. That would certainly get peoples' attention.

I'm going to file a support ticket and ask to get the weapons back just in case. I'll figure something out on where to stuff them away. And I'll also pay better attention next time they release new weapon sets.

@Spanex.1950 said:

Why would you immediately craft them, if you didn't have long term storage space, but read the warning and knew they may be needed in the next update?

Let's just say it again for the people in the back: you
don't
get a warning for throwing them into the mystic forge. How was I supposed to know Anet was going to pull that 'upgradable weapon' stunt again? Or wait, I should have just
assumed
because it happened before with one other set so far?

Gee, thanks. I'll certainly assume that of
every
weapon set that gets dropped from now on.
Twice is a pattern
and all that.

no, you get a fat warning in the description text.

NEWFLASH: IMPORTANT INFORMATION IS WRITTEN ON SCREEN

people hardly ever read. Time to punish it.

@"Spanex.1950" said:I'm going to file a support ticket and ask to get the weapons back just in case. I'll figure something out on where to stuff them away. And I'll also pay better attention next time they release new weapon sets.

And that is the correct course to take. Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes - that is why they have a Support department.

At some point though, you would hope the developers would just sit back, take this all in, and think "hmmm..maybe this was a bad concept". /shrug

I'm personally hoping they'll take my advice on making the the text pop out more. Some of you are saying it's as obvious as an elephant in the room but the fact I haven't noticed it until it was too late tells me the opposite. I don't read every minute description on every item and especially not weapons. I just look at the stats and the upgrades it has. Experience in the past has taught me that anything else is unimportant. Then why would I go looking for it now?

I dunno, it's a bad argument to me.

They need 2 ways then to protect the oblivious and new players.1 craft normally with the weapon and parts by the player2 a vendor where the vendor can check if you have skin unlocked like "I want to upgrade my storm focus but deleted it" and you just bring him the 3 missing ingredients to get the upgraded version.I have no idea how easy the 2nd would be to implement but I know the 2nd gen legends requires us to bring him stuff to progress so I assume it's possible

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Dear ArenaNet,

Please make it easy to obtain Tier 2 for those who have already acquired Tier 1 but deleted those skins afterwards.

We've already had a situation like that before - most players just don't have the space to hoard stuff for possible future content. Please don't have us recraft all of the Tier 1 skins.

Thank you.

Those are exactly my thoughts as well. And I highly disagree with a lot of the answers this post is receiving. Not everyone cares enough about the description of the items to read them all, some of us are constantly getting exotic gear and do not pay much attention at it. Some of us only cared about unlocking the collection, not the weapons themselves. And some of us don't have enough space on our inventory/bank to keep an entire collection there for moths. Be a littlebit more comprehensive. Thanks.

Said that, I totally agree ArenaNet should really offer a way to re-obtain those Stormcaller weapons, just as they did with the Restored Boreal weapons: "The merchant Humble Stone in the village of Still Waters Speaking offers spare account-bound Restored Boreal weapons to players who have already unlocked the corresponding weapon skin. Each weapon can only be purchased once".

This would be a really nice solution that would not affect the game's economy at all. ArenaNet, please make it possible.

Nobody said they wanted them back for free. Just that we want a backup to come back to, even if only once. I don't care if they cost a bit to reobtain. Make em 1 gold each or something. Most will still feel it in their pockets that way and maybe even learn their lesson, but it won't be the harrowing path of getting 160 charged lodestones again, and then some. Anet knowing, tier 2 is going to be even more punishing on that front anyway, so 16 gold down the drain as well is gonna be an extra slap on the hand.

There, lesson learned.

Yeah well last time it was 2s64c and 10 eternal ice so not really lesson learned there. And that's kinda the point you should of already learned this lesson. Yeah 1g or something seems fair. I agree something needs to change it's just how many times do we teach this same lesson w/o anet just eliminating upgrading stuff. I mean this could apply to these boneskinner upgrades too if the weapon you already unlocked is required or if they are entirely new drops idk yet.

@Spanex.1950 said:Therefore the replacements should be more expensive ;)

Agree. I know they going to have to add a vendor so I won't upgrade right away then decide to salvage/mystic forge and rebuy or not. There's already 6 of you who messed up and on release there will be 100 more on these forums or filling out tickets. It just baffles me how no one saved them. Mine are still on my characters who crafted them and weapon/hunts/artificer are all different characters as I remember the boreal fiasco and read the warning and even saw a thread asking about should we save them and I told them yes.

A GM came back to me on my support ticket and told me the following:

"There are methods in game to re-obtain these items if you wish to upgrade these at a later date. You may also purchase Bind on Use versions of these items from the Trading Post if you desire."

It's not specifically implying you'll have a vendor to rebuy them for at a lower pricetag, but it certainly sounds promising. I also relayed my feedback to them about making the warning text more obvious, so here's hoping it'll be implemented in the future.

@"Spanex.1950" said:A GM came back to me on my support ticket and told me the following:

"There are methods in game to re-obtain these items if you wish to upgrade these at a later date. You may also purchase Bind on Use versions of these items from the Trading Post if you desire."

It's not specifically implying you'll have a vendor to rebuy them for at a lower pricetag, but it certainly sounds promising. I also relayed my feedback to them about making the warning text more obvious, so here's hoping it'll be implemented in the future.

So, he didn't give you the weapons back? Or did you not ask for that. Yeah I mean he could mean re craft them as a method lol.

@"Spanex.1950" said:A GM came back to me on my support ticket and told me the following:

Dunno, I'd read that more as:

• the weapons are craft-able
  • the weapons are trade-able

aka there are methods ALREADY in game to get these items again.

You having destroyed them and the negative economic repercussions for you personally are on you. You are able to re-acquire these weapons if so desired via in game means.

It would make little sense for the developers to go out of their way to implement a warning, only to then reimburse players who salvaged the weapons again. So I would keep my hopes and expectations in check if I was affected and expect the worst case scenario, which is basically some gold cost.

We'll know for sure in 8 days.