Raid monetization in the hopes of getting more wings

Hello friends,

Anet has said on more than one occasion that the reason raids are being neglected as new content is due to how small the portion of the community is that consumes the content. In an effort to get Anet to look at the content as development worthy, I wanted to create this post that you will all hopefully contribute to in a positive way! I would like us all to list ideas of products they can put on the gem store that raiders might buy, to help justify the expense of giving our small community more content. I'll start, and feel free to add your own ideas as well! PMA please!

A raid portal device.

• This device would function similarly to the world boss or home instance portal device. It would allow you to enter the instance of a raid from anywhere in Tyria and remember your current position eliminating the need to go through multiple loading screens of the Aerodrome saving frustration and time. This is for the purpose of QoL for the raider.

I think the sorce is more of a problem, many ppl like raids but not have much reason to do themthay schold add something to raids, that will motivate more ppl to do them

In diferent games that motivation is better eq or some chance to get new mount or skin or even a toy

Until than strikes looks like better investitionThay can make new raids, but most ppl have leg items, so prob that ppl will do that raid 3-5 times than stop and join eazier conten than use thay time betterSimilar prob was with dungeons

I wonder if in the future they will break up the raid wings and we will get those as future fractals. That'd be interesting. Each boss fight as its own fractal. I do believe they let go of the raid team so I highly doubt we are getting any more raids, at least for the time being. This is why I champion "story mode." Fractals would be the perfect place for them. Tier 1 is "storymode", maybe tier 2 3 are the regular raid wing with varying difficulty and Tier 4 is more of a challenge.

Funny idea. That’s not how life works. Where do you think all the funds that wvw has generated has gone to... to cancelled side projects. If you think some random item for raiders on the gem store will create money for devs to create more content, you’re just kittening yourself.

@Noah Salazar.5430 said:I think the sorce is more of a problem, many ppl like raids but not have much reason to do themthay schold add something to raids, that will motivate more ppl to do them

In diferent games that motivation is better eq or some chance to get new mount or skin or even a toy

Until than strikes looks like better investitionThay can make new raids, but most ppl have leg items, so prob that ppl will do that raid 3-5 times than stop and join eazier conten than use thay time betterSimilar prob was with dungeons

You get a lot of gold from doing raids. Gold is always useful.

@"HotDelirium.7984" said:I wonder if in the future they will break up the raid wings and we will get those as future fractals. That'd be interesting. Each boss fight as its own fractal. I do believe they let go of the raid team so I highly doubt we are getting any more raids, at least for the time being. This is why I champion "story mode." Fractals would be the perfect place for them. Tier 1 is "storymode", maybe tier 2 3 are the regular raid wing with varying difficulty and Tier 4 is more of a challenge.

You mean... strike missions ?

The only kind extra monetization that could potentially work for Raids is to offer new wings as paid DLC. That way the developers will know exactly how much money they make from them directly, not even including any purchases of gem store items or expansions. It's the only way to see if some form of content is "worth" it revenue-wise. But I don't think at this point there is any benefit, it's over.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:The only kind extra monetization that could potentially work for Raids is to offer new wings as paid DLC. That way the developers will know exactly how much money they make from them directly, not even including any purchases of gem store items or expansions. It's the only way to see if some form of content is "worth" it revenue-wise. But I don't think at this point there is any benefit, it's over.

Basically : As soon as they don't get enough money on a DLC raid wing, they'll never make an other.

The only kind extra monetization that could potentially work for Raids is to offer new wings as paid DLC.
Basically : As soon as they don't get enough money on a DLC raid wing, they'll never make an other.

Hmh paid DLC, and in raid you have chance to drop Costume (ther can be even 2-3 costumes), or glider skin with small chance binded to that raid theme, also you will can't sell them on ah or give by postman

Last boss also culd drop toy, that after use, you will do some crazy stuff (same with rng 2% drop chance)

DLC also will give new 1 time reward track for wvw/pvp (like it was with warclaw skin track) with mount skin to unlock that match that raid,in reward track you can hide Heroic boosters, kays to lion chest, 2 weeks pass, and etc

for all of that i culd pay even 25$

For poor ppl you culd buy dlc for 2000 gems after 6 months , and after 12 months ther can be 45-65% discounts

Ya'll saying it's over, but I refuse to give up on my favorite part of the game. And yes, I do know that the template system was primarily bought by raiders, and that other players who don't need builds didn't have incentive to buy them which made it far less lucrative. As for incentives to raid, I think raid rewards are pretty fine as is. You can earn well over 100 gold/wk for about 4-6 hours of play, and even more with the mag shards and gaeting crystals converted into infusions. But Anet has to find a way to monetize the content in order to give it attention. So you betcha I'm in the bargaining phase!

@Noah Salazar.5430 said:

The only kind extra monetization that could potentially work for Raids is to offer new wings as paid DLC.

Hmh paid DLC, and in raid you have chance to drop Costume (ther can be even 2-3 costumes), or glider skin with small chance binded to that raid theme, also you will can't sell them on ah or give by postman

Last boss also culd drop toy, that after use, you will do some crazy stuff (same with rng 2% drop chance)

DLC also will give new 1 time reward track for wvw/pvp (like it was with warclaw skin track) with mount skin to unlock that match that raid,in reward track you can hide Heroic boosters, kays to lion chest, 2 weeks pass, and etc

for all of that i culd pay even 25$

For poor ppl you culd buy dlc for 2000 gems after 6 months , and after 12 months ther can be 45-65% discounts

They would make more money selling the outfits as they already do.

@sigur.9453 said:Is this the bargaining Phase?

And here I thought the hardcore community had long since reached depression or worked it through (by moving on).Guess some are late to the party.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Remember, that all the money the "template" system earned caused it to be worse than it might have been otherwise. Try to imagine what the monetization might do with raids. Consider if it's what you really wanted.

The "Template" system could have imo done just fine to monetize more hardcore players if it didn't so massively overreach in it's monetization as well as critically lacking in functionality (while deleting better 3rd party functionality that had been available for years).It was so badly executed that one can only wonder how anyone with even the slightest understanding or care for the hardcore community could have thought that was a good idea.

Anet just keeps shooting themselves into the foot just to then conclude that the shoe doesn't work since it appears to have holes. The shoe was just fine.

@"Asum.4960" said:The "Template" system could have imo done just fine to monetize more hardcore players if it didn't so massively overreach in it's monetization as well as critically lacking in functionality (while deleting better 3rd party functionality that had been available for years).

The Template system could've been better if it was released at a time when hardcore content wasn't abandoned and neglected. It's weird to release a tool aimed at the "hardcore" crowd (as some forum posters say) while at the same time provide nothing for that hardcore crowd to use it for. The template system might've been better received, despite the atrocious monetization, if in the same month we got it, we also got a new Raid and a new Fractal for example. Functionality and monetization is one thing, but I think the timing was horrid as well.

@Asum.4960 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Remember, that all the money the "template" system earned caused it to be worse than it might have been otherwise. Try to imagine what the monetization might do with raids. Consider if it's what you really wanted.

The "Template" system could have imo done just fine to monetize more hardcore players if it didn't so massively overreach in it's monetization as well as critically lacking in functionality (while deleting better 3rd party functionality that had been available for years).It was so badly executed that one can only wonder how anyone with even the slightest understanding or care for the hardcore community could have thought that was a good idea.That's the point. It was a system designed with monetization as the primary goal, which severely hurt all the
other
things it might be good for (like, for example, being a good template system).This is the type of design approach you'd basically never want to be applied to any system you might actually care about (well, unless it is something that is purely vanity-based, maybe).The moment you persuade devs that trying to make direct money out of some system is actually more important than making that system good in order to satisfy players and make them spend money on
other
stuff is the moment said system is going to suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love story bosses as raids instead. Like Balthazar or joko raids would be sick. Stop segmenting the game between living world and the raids. Hell a crystal dragon raid would be cool too. Have cool me mechanics and a Titanic health bar to burn down. Game play and story have the same idea. This boss is hard and players will feel it when they fight it. I think the last personal story mission was like that with arah story mode. It's just a dungeon.

Fair point but wouldnt that also aply to lw to extend? I mean its free for a while but then it becomes paid content, the expansions have been paid content as well and they've been some of the best content we've had.

Im not saying you cant be right in this case but monetising systems vs content might be different.