Regarding Raiding

Hello Tyrians!It's been some time since I last dabbled in raiding. I really wish to try it again, but what scares me abit is how hardcore I assume it is.I have decent gear and whatnot on the characters I plan to raid with, but is it truly so - that if you have shet gear you're not allowed? I am willing to learn, so tactics I'd read up on beforehand!

Smack your thoughts in, people, if you please! ^^

Caelon/ Rylder

@Caelon.4791 said:Hello Tyrians!It's been some time since I last dabbled in raiding. I really wish to try it again, but what scares me abit is how hardcore I assume it is.I have decent gear and whatnot on the characters I plan to raid with, but is it truly so - that if you have shet gear you're not allowed? I am willing to learn, so tactics I'd read up on beforehand!

Smack your thoughts in, people, if you please! ^^

Caelon/ Rylder

Depends what you mean with shet gear. :)In general you should be able to fulllfill the role you sign up for. So if you're playing dps for example, just go to the golem and test what you're dps is.if you play an healer, check what the group you join needs (boons, rezzes,...) .And you probably shouldn't take thougness if you don't want to accidently tank.

It really depends almost entirely on the kind of group you go in with. If you're trying to PUG or speed run a wing, you'll probably encounter a lot more barriers to entry than if you join a training guild or have a steady group of friends you run with. I raid with my guild-- which isn't a training guild-- and we don't min-max anything hardcore, so most of us are running meta builds, but not necessarily with the intention of hitting top-end benchmarks. Even though it sometimes takes us a couple tries, we almost always clear a few bosses a week, and that's good enough for me, personally.

You'll find many raiders have vastly different expectations and goals, but I'm sure you can find a group that aligns with what you're looking for!

For new and learning groups you are expected to have exotic gear with stats relevant to the role you are filling.

• For power dps this means power precision and ferocity stats on gear.
  • For condition dps this means expertise and condition damage
  • For Boon supports this means concentration
  • For healers this means healing power

Most supports are expected to do both healing and boon providing. Therefore will need gear with both concentration and healing power.Some boon supports can also hybrid dps, which means they will need concentration as well as the relevant dps stats.

Its not worth having defensive stats on dps roles, as your healers mitigate any damage you will take. Having defense or self sustain just reduces both their, and your effectiveness. However if your gear has some vitality, e.g marauders, alongside the core stats, it should be fine to train in. Do not take any toughness on a dps role, you will steal aggro from the tank.

If you're looking to get into raiding and have nothing for gear to start with, aim for any of the berserker power builds and get yourself an exotic set of gear from the trading post. Pieces of gear are generally less than a gold a piece. Spend your laurels on getting ascended accessories. Run fractals for your chance at ascended gear as well.

Exotic gear is all you need to make sure that your gear isn't holding you back (as long as you have the right runes/sigils and stats on gear). Beyond that, it's all about performing well with your build. You can always see a day and night difference between people who practice their rotation on the test golem and people that just equip a meta build with gear and vaguely follow the guidelines of a rotation when they jump in a raid.

P.s. if your obstacle to raid experience is just getting in a group because of not having perfect gear, then joining a guild that raids is probably your best bet to getting experience. Raiding with a good guild is infinitely better than raiding with pugs anyways.