Does it also make you mad that bag slots are soul bound vs account bound?

@"hockyk.9814" said:Hey all,I've been playing on and off again since launch but I'm new to the forums, so here goes....

Am I crazy to think bag slots should be account bound vs soul bound?I feel like I spent a decent amount of gems maxing my bag slots on my main, but it drives me crazy to think I'd have to spend the same amount of gems on alts, which is why I haven't done it. I'm sure there are people here maxing out all of their slots on all of their toons, but did that feel fair to you when you did that? Is there hope that this will change?"""Sugesting""" to get stuff for free because you paid some gems is just not how the world works no matter how mad you are or how unfair it feels. If you don't believe me try this the next time you're shoping groceries. Get what you need, then grab doubles of everything. When at the counter try to get half of your groceries for free because you actually are buying the other half and see what happens.

@"melody.2601" said:I dont mind that I have to buy Bagslots for all Characters, but Templates should be Account-wide tbh, right now its just cheaper and better to buy more Character Slots over Equipment + Build Template.

Template discussion is over here --> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/91126/official-feedback-thread-about-build-and-equipment-templates

This is terrible design:1.) We have bags that are BOA for all sizes of the bag.2.) We have bags that are BOS for all sizes except the biggest version of the bag.

This is inconsistent. This needs to be fixed for consistency.

I have experienced newer players with problem assuming older bags work the same way as new bags. This caused serious frustration. You know how it feels when you create a new older 28 slot bag and you accidentally soulbound it on a toon that doesn't have the profession to upgrade it.

When you already buy extra bag slots it just adds more insult to injury.

Having bought one extra slot on 2 or 3 characters, I am disinclined to buy any more. I'm not mad about it, though. In fact, I am pleased that I don't feel I need the space. I'd rather buy a character slot than two bag slots. It's kind of a win for me, because not only does the character get 4 bag slots for free, it also gets 3 build and 2 gear slots.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:There seem to be two ways to interpret what you're saying:

• Buying a bag slot should add a bag slot to any character you make (like how accountwide inventory slots work)
  • Buying a bag slot should let you physically move the extra slot between characters (if you start to use one character more than the other, for instance)

Both interpretations would reduce revenue compared to the current system.We don't actually know that. Yes, on one hand, people that now buy bag spaces for many chars would end up buying less. On the other hand, a lot more people might be willing to buy bag spaces if they weren't character-bound.

I'm never a fan of single-character gem store items. Anything sold from the gem store should apply to your whole account, and be priced accordingly. Obviously, they sell well as single-character items which is why they still exist that way on the gem store, so my stance is not popular enough to force them to change.

Infinite use gathering tools used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound.Crafting recipes used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound.Dye unlocks used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound.All item and armor skins used to be soulbound with the transmutation system, then Anet changed to account bound with the wardrobe system.

I wonder if all the people in this thread who are oh so concerned about Anet making money would support reverting all of the above changes, hmm?

• Like 1

@Waffler.1257 said:Infinite use gathering tools used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound.Which encouraged people who would never bother with the high price to suddenly find it worth their while. They also started monetizing gathering upgrades. :+1:Crafting recipes used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound.This encouraged people to craft more, which helped the health of the game economy.Dye unlocks used to be soulbound, then Anet changed them to account bound...which increased the versatility and appeal of dyes and encouraged people to buy dye packs. They also removed unidentified dye from the drop table of plants around the same time.All item and armor skins used to be soulbound with the transmutation system, then Anet changed to account bound with the wardrobe system.Which seems very useful given how many armors are available for sale in the gem store.

A lot of their decisions regarding QoL are either monetary losses they can accept or monetary losses that can be made up in another area of the game. It's possible that making bag slots accountwide could generate some sort of bump in their revenue, but at the moment it seems to me people are investing more into slots for their many characters than they would for a small amount of accountwide slots. That's something for their number-crunching department to figure out.

It's not about being against a change like this, it's about practicality. A free-to-play game needs to make money somewhere in its model. Suggesting a paid feature be changed requires that we consider the effects.

@Waffler.1257 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:Which encouraged people who would never bother with the high price to suddenly find it worth their while.

Interesting, and why do you find that this concept does not apply to inventory expansion slots?

It might not be enough to offset the losses incurred by making a limited number of accountwide slots more cost-effective than buying lots of character-locked slots.

It's information I don't have access to, so I can only interpret it with speculation, the same way that people are speculating the opposite. Given that gathering tools are the only method of gathering whereas you have multiple different ways to store items besides bag slots, I don't think I can reasonably equate the two in terms of how valuable they are to players.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:Which encouraged people who would never bother with the high price to suddenly find it worth their while.

Interesting, and why do you find that this concept does not apply to inventory expansion slots?

It might not be enough to offset the losses incurred by making a limited number of accountwide slots more cost-effective than buying lots of character-locked slots.

It's information I don't have access to, so I can only interpret it with speculation, the same way that people are speculating the opposite. Given that gathering tools are the only method of gathering whereas you have multiple different ways to store items besides bag slots, I don't think I can reasonably equate the two in terms of how valuable they are to players.

Which is what I was getting at, so in your original post, reproduced here:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:There seem to be two ways to interpret what you're saying:

• Buying a bag slot should add a bag slot to any character you make (like how accountwide inventory slots work)
  • Buying a bag slot should let you physically move the extra slot between characters (if you start to use one character more than the other, for instance)

Both interpretations would reduce revenue compared to the current system. We don't know how much money the average player pours into bag slots, but evidently it's some amount. If your change made people spend less money on bag slots, what would you recommend that ArenaNet do to make up the difference?

You don't know that making inventory expansion slots account bound would reduce revenue, you suspect that it might, but you don't have any data to support that assertion. It is very possible that many people would purchase more inventory slots if they could use them on all of their characters. Personally, I pre-ordered the deluxe edition of GW2 and have been playing ever since the early access period and I don't have a single character that has every inventory slot unlocked, but I would definitely unlock them if it meant having them on all of my characters.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:If your change made people spend less money on bag slots, what would you recommend that ArenaNet do to make up the difference?

My remarks are based on my evaluation that it would reduce revenue and I posed the question based on that evaluation. I'm pretty sure it's obvious that I'm not an authority on the subject.

@Waffler.1257 said:You don't know that making inventory expansion slots account bound would reduce revenue, you suspect that it might, but you don't have any data to support that assertion. It is very possible that many people would purchase more inventory slots if they could use them on all of their characters. Personally, I pre-ordered the deluxe edition of GW2 and have been playing ever since the early access period and I don't have a single character that has every inventory slot unlocked, but I would definitely unlock them if it meant having them on all of my characters.

And your remarks are based on your own personal opinions and experiences and have no data to support them. We're essentially in the same position here, we just disagree about the money involved in bag slot purchases.

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

And your remarks are based on your own personal opinions and experiences and have no data to support them. We're essentially in the same position here, we just disagree about the money involved in bag slot purchases.

The only assertion that I made was that I would purchase more inventory expansion slots if they were account bound, and this is a true statement. I did not make any definitive statements about the consumption behavior of GW2 players writ large as I do not have any data to support such statements, just as you don't have any data to support such statements.

@Waffler.1257 said:

You don't know that making inventory expansion slots account bound would reduce revenue, you suspect that it might, but you don't have any data to support that assertion. It is very possible that many people would purchase more inventory slots if they could use them on all of their characters.

At this late date, whether more people would buy account-wide bag upgrades is a moot point. The real issue from ANet's point of view would be the demands for compensation from all of the players who did buy the character-bound slots.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

You don't know that making inventory expansion slots account bound would reduce revenue, you suspect that it might, but you don't have any data to support that assertion. It is very possible that many people would purchase more inventory slots if they could use them on all of their characters.

At this late date, whether more people would buy account-wide bag upgrades is a moot point. The real issue from ANet's point of view would be the demands for compensation from all of the players who did buy the character-bound slots.

To be fair, they did just give out 1000 gems to everyone who lost something on the TP (Items or money, no matter how much, even if it was only 2c) during that rollback that happened a while back (This is on top of the 1000 gem value Mount Skin and 300 gem value Bonfire they gave out right after the rollback happened)

I'm not sure if it would necessarily pose a large problem for them to compensate for people who have bought bag slot expansions on multiple characters.