FPS - GPU or CPU

Hello guys,i have question about good CPU or GPU to improve my FPS in Guild wars 2 Game. I have i7-6700K,4,6Ghz,1,38V/temps under 70degree.I think this game need to have good single thread cpu, is right?When i buy i7 9700K it would be possible to get more FPS? Is worth it? At the moment i have GTX 1070/1920x1080/144Hz monitor/Ram 3200Mhz. I will to play this game and World of Tanks into higher resolution (maybe 2560x1440,32inch,144Hz)

https://ibb.co/t4VS3V4

My setup:CPU: I7 6700K/OC 4,6Ghz ,CPU cooler :Noctua NH-D14Motherboard: GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB (kit2x8GB) 3200Mhz CL13 SR x8SSD/HDD: ADATA SSD XPG SX8200 Pro /Samsung EVO 750 (120GB) /Samsung EVO (250GB) /Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GBGPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G, 8GB GDDR5 , Monitor: AOC 24G2U – IPS,144HzPSU:Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 750W, OS:Win 10

I tried to set up 2 different options: Best Performance and best Appearance setup. Look at the picture in Lion Arch

https://ibb.co/16wn1jW

Regards

as i said on your first thread, try lowering shadows and character model limit those two eat up a lot of FPS.. if you need a lil bit more tune down LOD to High from Ultra and Render Sampling to Native.

you can keep Character Quality, Shaders, AA, Reflections, etc. all at high/maxed. to keep the game pretty.

if you're going to upgrade just your CPU you may not see much improvements given the same settings ingame. though to answer your questions, yea the game is CPU heavy.

if you're on windows 10, you can try using: https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy there are guides you can follow to install it and configure it to maximize your hardware for more potential fps

Your rig is fine and it should be able to stay at a stable 60 fps everywhere. Sadly this engine is old and cpu-taxing and no matter your CPU power, you won't be able to take full advantage. That's why you saw 35 fps in the second pic.

That said, if you play with your settings a bit (as mentioned above), you can find a golden medium between best appearance and performance. You should be able to stay at 60fps in all but the most populated world bosses or wvw battles.

When i buy i7 9700K it would be possible to get more FPS?For GW2: 10% if you overclock the 9700K. If you don't or put it on a non-Z-board you won't notice any performance gain.

Your 6700 and the 9700 share the same architecture: skylake (6000 series), which was renamed to kaby lake (7000 series), which was renamed to coffee lake (8000 and 9000 series), which was renamed to comet lake (10000 series). Renamed means "basically renamed" since there have been some minor architectural changes, but these don't affect gaming performance and so can be ignored at this point.

There are only 2 differences:

1. cores - which does not matter, as GW2 can't make any use of the 8 real cores of the 9700K compared to the 4 cores and 8 threads of your 6700K
  2. clock speed - your cpu boosts to 4.6 GHz, while the 9700K can be overclocked to around 5GHz (if you buy a Z370 or 390 board, which you should as otherwise you can also not clock your ram to 3200 MHz)

So the 10% performance gain is a joke for what you have to pay, because you need a new CPU and a Z-board.

The game is badly optimized. No matter what system you have it will always run more terrible than other games due to no DX12 support. Also DX12 Ultimate is now on the line and if this game still runs with DX9 I doubt it will survive long, sadly. I loved the game but the choices Anet (actually NCSoft dictates) will kill it immediatly.

What you need is to make compromises for the API calls (This means the amount of details in general ,not how big they are.), the more you put in, the worst performance will get. The DX12 patch can help mitigate this but only by so much. If you want to achieve good results, it's preferable that you disable shadows, reduce player count and even lower the environment detail to the point where all there is to worry about is stuff that is generally always loaded and to be shown without complication such as Models, Textures or even Shaders.

View it as a tunnel and this tunnel, DX9 is very small compared DX12 because the CPU can't effectively do things at the same time.

https://i.imgur.com/DgxB3vj.jpeg

@Cynder.2509 said:The game is badly optimized. No matter what system you have it will always run more terrible than other games due to no DX12 support. Also DX12 Ultimate is now on the line and if this game still runs with DX9 I doubt it will survive long, sadly. I loved the game but the choices Anet (actually NCSoft dictates) will kill it immediatly.

gw2 will survive just as how swtor is still surviving with dx9 (and like gw2, that game runs like crap too) not going dx12 will not kill the game

however, having a native dx12 renderer/mode for gw2 would surely be a boon in the long run... as time goes on, less and less people with old hardware will remain as many who can't take care of their computers eventually have to replace them or many who are simply fed up with low performance would buy something new and powerful.

@Tonny.5908 said:When i buy i7 9700K it would be possible to get more FPS? Is worth it?

if you are upgrading just for GW2, not worth it

I upgraded mine from 4770K to 8700K, without changing the GPU, which was a 980Ti, very small FPS increase from my experience, I got extra 2-3FPS at frozen maw, which is a fight where you get ridiculously low fps when shaman summons the snow storm twisters; The primary reason I upgraded was because I was running BDO and GW2 at the same time

9700K is only a tiny bit better than 8700K, 5% according to userbenchmark when it comes to single thread, 8700K is only 9% faster than 6700K with single thread; these are just synthetic, so in real world use you probably see even less

@"Tonny.5908" said:Hello guys,i have question about good CPU or GPU to improve my FPS in Guild wars 2 Game. I have i7-6700K,4,6Ghz,1,38V/temps under 70degree.I think this game need to have good single thread cpu, is right?When i buy i7 9700K it would be possible to get more FPS? Is worth it? At the moment i have GTX 1070/1920x1080/144Hz monitor/Ram 3200Mhz. I will to play this game and World of Tanks into higher resolution (maybe 2560x1440,32inch,144Hz)

https://ibb.co/t4VS3V4

My setup:CPU: I7 6700K/OC 4,6Ghz ,CPU cooler :Noctua NH-D14Motherboard: GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)Ram: HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB (kit2x8GB) 3200Mhz CL13 SR x8SSD/HDD: ADATA SSD XPG SX8200 Pro /Samsung EVO 750 (120GB) /Samsung EVO (250GB) /Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GBGPU:MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G, 8GB GDDR5 , Monitor: AOC 24G2U – IPS,144HzPSU:Seasonic Focus Plus Gold - 750W, OS:Win 10

I tried to set up 2 different options: Best Performance and best Appearance setup. Look at the picture in Lion Arch

https://ibb.co/16wn1jW

RegardsSave yourself a lot of money and forget the CPU and GPU upgrade. Going to a higher rez means more focus on GPU however.... Try the D912pxy before you do anything. And it's free. This converts gw2 dx9 api calls to dx12.

Try it and see the difference!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/110553/want-to-use-dx12-for-gw2-heres-a-guide-on-using-the-d912pxy#latest