GW2 freezing entire computer, have to force restart

Moments seem random. They can either happen a few minutes in or hours of gameplay, but it is always the same. Game freezes, everything else on my system freezes. Entirely unresponsive. Was scary when it happened the first time. Just want to know what the heck is going on.

My intuition says something with the hard drive. I tried doing a fresh reinstall. My OS is on my SSD, and I'd put GW2 on it too if there was space. Confusing thing is, my HDD is running other games, even more taxing than GW2, just fine.

if you have a 2nd screen/monitor:have resource monitor or task manager open (or any hardware monitoring app).. i would look/monitor for RAM/Memory Consumption, Swap Usage, CPU/GPU temperatures and CPU Usage while playing the game. to me, it sounds like your system is running out of resources while playing and thus, freezing/hanging. if you can monitor your system resources, you can find out if it's gw2 or any other application/service/malware?/random_thing_running_on_the_background using up system resources and attempt to troubleshoot from thereon

if you think it's your HDD (i doubt) try defragmenting your drive?

Hi Astryah.4015, HDD is at 0% fragmented, so no need to defrag and probably removes the drive from being the problem.

I've monitored cpu/gpu temps, running avergae on I7-8700k 45-55 C (avg 50-65) and GTX 1080 55-60 C (avg 40-60). GPU running a little on the higher side, but not untypical. Load maxing around 75% on CPU/GPU. RAM @ 8.1/15.9.

These all check out. Not sure what could be the hardware problem.

@The Night Fox.6018 said:Hi Astryah.4015, HDD is at 0% fragmented, so no need to defrag and probably removes the drive from being the problem.

I've monitored cpu/gpu temps, running avergae on I7-8700k 45-55 C (avg 50-65) and GTX 1080 55-60 C (avg 40-60). GPU running a little on the higher side, but not untypical. Load maxing around 75% on CPU/GPU. RAM @ 8.1/15.9.

i see your resource usage and temps seem ok.if it's still crashing as of this writing, you can try running gw2 with -logif you're on windows a log file should be generated at %APPDATA%\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.log(more info here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments)

then try to reproduce the problem (make it freeze) and hope there's a logfile generated (even if partial) before it freezes. if yes, contact support and attach your logfile to your ticket

edit: also if you have any addons like d912pxy, arcDPS, or reshade, disable them all temporarily while attempting to generate a logfile for your freezes/hang

@The Night Fox.6018 said:Hi Astryah.4015, HDD is at 0% fragmented, so no need to defrag and probably removes the drive from being the problem.

It is more likely problems with drivers. Make sure that your mouse, keyboard and other drivers are up to date and check if there is any reports on each manufactures forum for random lock ups during usage. MS Windows 10 can also download driver in the background and there have been reports that some users have had issues after an update (especially the larger package where MS do patches). I had myself sudden luck up where I the only option where to hard reset (reboot) to get back into game, so it is possible that GW2 somehow mess things up as for memory allocation and usage in a way where some people get this to trigger. I haven't changed anything on my system and for now it seem to run without problems.

If you overclock CPU or/and GPU set those back to default clock to avoid possible issues from overclocking.

I would also recommend to move your GW2 folder into a dedicated non-windows partition on SSD. MS Windows program (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) folder can restrict some apps from be written to as to protect against malicious apps (virus, keylogger etc). For most situation this work without issues, but sometimes Windows can lock games access to write or make changes to its self.

When you use a SSD it need to have some space left for its routine operation (this is done automatically in the background from drivers and the technology that SSD are build around). You should never fill any SSD to it maximum space. In general when there is too little space left you should have an BSOD error message, but it could happen that your crash is something that prevent even BSOD messages to show before it gets looked up.

Remember that drivers is everything that your input and output (display might have its own outside of Nvidia drivers for GPU), sound have its own drivers and so on. For input you have keyboard, mouse or controller (gamepad). Don't forget that web cam and microphone also have drivers, if you use Discord or any other communication outside of game itself.

Right now there is also issues with arcDPS (3rd party app) which measure DPS as by using API and display an overlay above game surface which causes crashes of client after one log in. So it is possible that there is more changes then publicly known with this patch.

• 3 weeks later...

suffering the same problem. and no, no "drivers" for keyboard or mouse. System freezes HARD, and so hard that on my second freeze, it corrupted Windows 10 data.After repair and on the third freeze a reinstall of windows 10 ... same "ahem" happened again.... and yes my drivers are up to date, a not even using a browser in the background and on the third try I started GW2 as the sole porgram after booting up after a reinstall .My SSD has 200GB free ( and am not even running GW2 from SSD ). And no it is also not lack of memory. it's the freaking game since a few patches ago. sometimes it is the software , and not the users PC and setup. just saying