Returning Mesmer struggling in Path of Fire. Some Advice needed, please.

5 years ago I made an account and played a Mesmer up to level 80, because I liked the idea of an illusionist class. Little did I know how hard or useful the class was at the time, because I was just playing solo open world content.

When I hit cap, I crafted level 80 orange gear and weapons for myself. Power and Precisions, I think. I tried to group up for dungeons just for fun, I ran dozens of them, even collected dungeon gear to wear cosmetically.

However, the amount of hate I got in those groups just for being a mesmer made me quit the game eventually. I think the class was considered very weak at the time, and it didn't help that I was a noob.

Now, 5 years later, I'd like to just play the expansion stories (HoTH, PoF). I'd like to unlock my mounts. However, I find it too hard. I need advice on which weapons, masteries and stats are recommended for a beginner Memser. For the moment, my only goal is to be able to get through the story and collect the mounts. Thank you.

@"Xaelh.2985" said:5 years ago I made an account and played a Mesmer up to level 80, because I liked the idea of an illusionist class. Little did I know how hard or useful the class was at the time, because I was just playing solo open world content.

When I hit cap, I crafted level 80 orange gear and weapons for myself. Power and Precisions, I think. I tried to group up for dungeons just for fun, I ran dozens of them, even collected dungeon gear to wear cosmetically.

However, the amount of hate I got in those groups just for being a mesmer made me quit the game eventually. I think the class was considered very weak at the time, and it didn't help that I was a noob.

Now, 5 years later, I'd like to just play the expansion stories (HoTH, PoF). I'd like to unlock my mounts. However, I find it too hard. I need advice on which weapons, masteries and stats are recommended for a beginner Memser. For the moment, my only goal is to be able to get through the story and collect the mounts. Thank you.

Hi! There are a lot of ways you can play mesmer, but if you're struggling with open world/story I think the Mirage elite spec is the way to go. You might not deal the most the damage with it, but it's very easy to stay alive with.

I purposefully designed the build in this video to be as simple as possible to use. It isn't optimal for anything, really. But with all passive utilities and no weapon swap, you can literally just push 1 and dodge and this build will work and should get you through open world pretty easily. Feel free to add a weapon swap (I recommend axe/torch or scepter/pistol), change stats (rabid or trailblazer would be good for more damage!), or change to more useful utilities. Still, if you want to keep it simple it should also work as is.

@"Xaelh.2985" said:Thank you, guys! This definitely seems like the easiest build imaginable. The Auction House still says I need to wait 1 more day (down from 5) before I can get my hands on some Rabid gear. Can't wait!

If you ever want to try something a bit more complex with higher damage, here's another video (build link is in responses to viewer comments below). Note that this build also runs staff, so it should be a pretty easy transition if you want to try it later on!