Random Black Screen - Game unplayable

Hello,

I haven't played GW2 for a while (6 or 8 months) and it was working fine on this computer.

But now (I'm in Istan, Living World 4), I get random black screens. Suddenly. I still can hear the sound, but the screen just goes black.

I have tried everything here: https://windowsreport.com/guild-wars-2-windows-10/

(except from things that aren't relevant to me, for example, the Razer-thingy -- I have Corsair and Logitech -- or the AMD graphic thingy since I have NVidia).

But it didn't help.

My set up:

Alienware Aurora R8 - I9 processor - 9900K - 3.60 GHz64 GB RAMNVidia GeForce RTX 2080 TiWindows 10 Pro

All my drivers are updated, Windows is updated and everything else works fine on my computer.

I don't have any viruses or funny things.

Any idea of what can be done?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Scorpyo

From the top of my head:

• Does this happen in other 3D applications as well or is GW2 the only game you play?
  • Possible overheating? What are your GPU and CPU temperatures while you are playing GW2?
  • Do you have hyper-threading enabled for your CPU? If so, try turning it off and see if the issue still occurs.

Hello, @Ashantara.8731 ,

First, thank you for your answer.

@Ashantara.8731 said:From the top of my head:

• Does this happen in other 3D applications as well or is GW2 the only game you play?
  • Possible overheating? What are your GPU and CPU temperatures while you are playing GW2?
  • Do you have hyper-threading enabled for your CPU? If so, try turning it off and see if the issue still occurs.

No, this happens only with GuildWars 2. It didn't happen 6 months ago and started suddenly. But I haven't played GW2 for a while so I can't pinpoint the exact moment it started.

I haven't checked the GPU and/or CPU temperatures, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't over-heating since not even the fan was going and I was at 125 FPS. (and yes, my fan is working if needed :)

But yesterday, after I wrote this thread, I went playing again and it did it a couple of times again. And I was on a quest (Living Story 4) where you have to find some ingredients for a recipe. I was trying to find my way up a mountain (again) and it was dull. Especially since it wasn't the first quest of this kind. So I was bored to death trying to find a way up for half an hour. And I don't play games to be bored :)

So I decided then to uninstall GW2.

Actually, I went here to delete my thread, but you were so nice to answer, so...

Have fun and once again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

@"Scorpyo.6783" said:Actually, I went here to delete my thread, but you were so nice to answer, so...

Have fun and once again, thank you very much for taking the time to answer.

Hey,

If you get to read this, just two quick thoughts:

1. It is very unusual that the fan "wasn't going". Mine always increases to maximum speed when I play GW2 as I have configured my GPU software accordingly (i.e., 100% fan speed at 52+ °C). So I recommend you try check your hardware temps regardless of the game you play, just to ensure nothing is overheating.
  2. If you ever run into a similar issue with another application, try what suggested about hyper-threading and let me know if that helped. :)

Take care.

There is a type of black screen where only GW2 will go black (you can alt-tab) and it's as if the game was simply painted over. This screen is normally seen and accompanied by an error message when your connection drops, but in this case it's caused by packet loss and no message is shown. This type of black screen can be easily identified by pressing F12 to bring up the logout menu to show that it's still working. It's caused by general packet loss or anything that could be interfering with your network traffic, including the router.

• 8 months later...

I'm having a similar issue with a similar set up. However, sometimes my game crashes and tells me that an "unhandled exception" was intercepted, and other times my entire display goes black and i need to power cycle the entire computer to get it to work. I'm sure this is an nVidia issue, but I have the most recent drivers and it only happens when I play GW2.

To the above post about the temperatures, I run a two-loop water cooling solution that keeps my CPU between 36-44C on 1x loop, and my GPU between 24-32C on another loop with 64GBs of RAM.

You can try dx12pxy or DXVK, which tend to fix most of these types of issues. However I'll warn that a friend had this exact problem and nothing fixed it no matter what they tried, so YMMV. Its usually something to do with the GPU.

One thing: Make sure you aren't running Firefox, it use 1-2GB of VRAM on the GPU, even with acceleration disabled.

I was having black screeens one month ago then it stopped. They were random. Yesterday it started again. Now it's worse. Every 10 minutes after login game goes to black screen. I have to press ALT + F4 to close the game. After that game won't let me play. Pressing play button does nothing. Might be connection issues. Whether if it's on my end or it's a problem with Anet only god knows. It's frustrating.

@"makavelithadontr.3967" said:I was having black screeens one month ago then it stopped. They were random. Yesterday it started again. Now it's worse. Every 10 minutes after login game goes to black screen. I have to press ALT + F4 to close the game. After that game won't let me play. Pressing play button does nothing. Might be connection issues. Whether if it's on my end or it's a problem with Anet only god knows. It's frustrating.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"makavelithadontr.3967" said:I was having black screeens one month ago then it stopped. They were random. Yesterday it started again. Now it's worse. Every 10 minutes after login game goes to black screen. I have to press ALT + F4 to close the game. After that game won't let me play. Pressing play button does nothing. Might be connection issues. Whether if it's on my end or it's a problem with Anet only god knows. It's frustrating.

Thank you for the suggestions but I tried those when the problem arise for the first time. Eventually I gave up and the problem fixed itself. Now I'm playing for an hour and everything is fine. So I do not think it's related to hardware or software rather than connection. I'm dealing with millions of polygons and render a lot daily. No issue with those heavy tasks. Also sometimes guild wars 2 stays open during those processes with no issue for hours.