Build diversity should be the main focus of the Dev team..no meta balancing

Supreme.3164

Thanks for that explanation, I understand what you are talking about now and I agree that unique mechanics are needed. Would you also think that having specific counters to those mechanics is a good thing?

But anyway, we need 9 unique mechanics, one for each class. Auras for Eles is one, care to brainstorm others?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:Would you also think that having specific counters to those mechanics is a good thing?

So as briefly alluded to it before, that Anthropic's is a sort of more elegant form of "Law of Large Numbers" a statistical/probabilistic solution related to Complexity, and Chaos theory. In Chaos theory, systems that exhibit convergent and divergent behavior have solutions where the system comes to equilibrium and exhibit patterns of stability (which is the self balance i'm pointing out.). The reason this happens is because the same laws that apply to our creatures in the previous comment's example, also apply to our virus. So, if we were to let out our system evolve, if the conditions are within the solution space that lead to a stable state, then the population of the creature and virus will constantly fluctuating back and forth between positive and negative feedback loops, which is a self-balancing state.

Extrapolating this, you can go into a system with thousands...millions of components, and due to Anthropics, counters will just naturally appear, because all the components in the system are following the same rules of adaptation and competition...so if Build A appears, then out of the millions of possible builds that exist in this system, there will be at least some fraction of those millions of builds that directly or softly counters it. In those fraction of builds there exists a counter to those builds, and to those builds and so on... And In addition, like we proved earlier, the higher the diversity, the easier it is to reach the solution space in the chaotic problem and arrive at a stable state in the system.

So to answer your question directly, it's not even necessary to intentionally design counters. They will natural occur as diversity is added to the system because of Anthropics.

In addition,

But If you don't have time to watch this video, i highly suggest doing research on both Complex Adaptive Systems and Chaos Theory, as to fully understand the nuance of the problem with guild wars 2.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Garret.1965 said:Animal Kingdom: Dinosaurs op af, plz nerf nature.

Nature:
Sends a meteorite to annihilate them from the face of the earth

Dinosaurs: Fun while it lasted.

Dodos: Could we get a buff? We can't even fly.

Nature: ??????

Dodos: Rip.

Nature sucks at balancing :anguished:

Nature sucks at balancing? Imagine dinosaurs weren't extinct and were allowed to continue to roam? I think nature made the right decision, as much as it sucks we'd be matured next smart choice lol

Nature overbuffed the dinos, then nuked them from orbit. Yup, nature sucks at balancing. But now we got these damn homosapiens who're broken af.

Here we go again...

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@"Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582" said:Would you also think that having specific counters to those mechanics is a good thing?

So as briefly alluded to it before, that Anthropic's is a sort of more elegant form of "Law of Large Numbers" a statistical/probabilistic solution related to Complexity, and Chaos theory. In Chaos theory, systems that exhibit convergent and divergent behavior have solutions where the system comes to equilibrium and exhibit patterns of stability (which is the self balance i'm pointing out.). The reason this happens is because the same laws that apply to our creatures in the previous comment's example, also apply to our virus. So, if we were to let out our system evolve, if the conditions are within the solution space that lead to a stable state, then the population of the creature and virus will constantly fluctuating back and forth between positive and negative feedback loops, which is a self-balancing state.

Extrapolating this, you can go into a system with thousands...millions of components, and due to Anthropics, counters will just naturally appear, because all the components in the system are following the same rules of adaptation and competition...so if Build A appears, then out of the millions of possible builds that exist in this system, there will be at least some fraction of those millions of builds that directly or softly counters it. In those fraction of builds there exists a counter to those builds, and to those builds and so on... And In addition, like we proved earlier, the higher the diversity, the easier it is to reach the solution space in the chaotic problem and arrive at a stable state in the system.

So to answer your question directly, it's not even necessary to intentionally design counters. They will natural occur as diversity is added to the system because of Anthropics.

In addition,
But If you don't have time to watch this video, i highly suggest doing research on both Complex Adaptive Systems and Chaos Theory, as to fully understand the nuance of the problem with guild wars 2.

What I meant by counter is since there isn't a direct counter to specific mechanics in GW2 do they need to be added? Stances (for example) right now, there is no way to counter them or remove them from a foe, should a skill that removes Stances (Wild Blow/Wild Throw in GW) be added? Same goes for Auras and the other unique mechanics.

At first I wasn't going to agree there are enough variations but when you take into account even just the truncated sPvP gear selections, there are extreme amounts of possibilities.

@Garret.1965 said:

@Garret.1965 said:Animal Kingdom: Dinosaurs op af, plz nerf nature.

Nature:
Sends a meteorite to annihilate them from the face of the earth

Dinosaurs: Fun while it lasted.

Dodos: Could we get a buff? We can't even fly.

Nature: ??????

Dodos: Rip.

Nature sucks at balancing :anguished:

Nature sucks at balancing? Imagine dinosaurs weren't extinct and were allowed to continue to roam? I think nature made the right decision, as much as it sucks we'd be matured next smart choice lol

Nature overbuffed the dinos, then nuked them from orbit. Yup, nature sucks at balancing. But now we got these kitten homosapiens who're broken af.

Here we go again...

Holos and their Orbital Strike guddammit!

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:What I meant by counter is since there isn't a direct counter to specific mechanics in GW2 do they need to be added? Stances (for example) right now, there is no way to counter them or remove them from a foe, should a skill that removes Stances (Wild Blow/Wild Throw in GW) be added? Same goes for Auras and the other unique mechanics

Alright I see. I don’t see any obvious drawbacks to adding counters in this manner, But again I don’t even think it’s necessary. Adding specific counters usually means that you relegate a skill to be exclusive (exclusive to a specific scenario) which goes against that global applicability mentioned earlier. This is probably why Wild Blow and Wild Throw weren’t exactly popular choices back in Gw1. However there isn’t any reason to say other than that, that it isn’t a healthy design choice.