... But The Thief Got Away.

Svarty.8019

We've all got stories about battles we've had. The most memorable for me are the 10-ish people ones. You know, where it's not small enough to be ganky and not big enough to be zergy. They're the Goldilocks battles. The fun ones.

Sadly, there's a recurring theme that thwarts these stories. The Thief always gets away.

Whether it's our thief or the enemy thief. It makes a mockery of the game. How is anybody supposed to take combat in GW2 seriously when they know they can roll thief and never die?

@Svarty.8019 said:We've all got stories about battles we've had. The most memorable for me are the 10-ish people ones. You know, where it's not small enough to be ganky and not big enough to be zergy. They're the Goldilocks battles. The fun ones.

Sadly, there's a recurring theme that thwarts these stories. The Thief always gets away.

Whether it's our thief or the enemy thief. It makes a mockery of the game. How is anybody supposed to take combat in GW2 seriously when they know they can roll thief and never die?

Condis work wonder against thieves minus the skilled ones with SA traitline and other means to clear condis consistently , but yeah a good condi burst will most times take cares of thieves before they can flee

Yeet them off a cliff and be done with it. Or give them some reason to actually contest an objective.

It's also possible to "never die" by standing at spawn, which is essentially what run-away thieves are doing if they retreat the first time they have to pop any defensive cooldowns.

In my experience it's not always rolling thief that gets you away - it's knowing your limits and knowing when to pull away from enemy (besides your build). Some thieves get too greedy or in the moment which tends to get them killed (and it's good to bait the ones that play this way). Depending on their build, if you don't get coordinated effort you may not be able to kill the smarter ones.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:In my experience it's not always rolling thief that gets you away - it's knowing your limits and knowing when to pull away from enemy (besides your build). Some thieves get too greedy or in the moment which tends to get them killed (and it's good to bait the ones that play this way). Depending on their build, if you don't get coordinated effort you may not be able to kill the smarter ones.

You're not wrong. However, I can tell you my mesmer running multiple teleport and stealth skills never had any trouble walking away from a fight. Meanwhile, my sword weaver is pretty much all-in on every engagement!

@Arheundel.6451 said:Condis work wonder against thieves minus the skilled ones with SA traitline and other means to clear condis consistently , but yeah a good condi burst will most times take cares of thieves before they can flee

You mean that one build in the game that is able to condi burst someone? Yeah, almost as fantastic as revealing traps.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:In my experience it's not always rolling thief that gets you away - it's knowing your limits and knowing when to pull away from enemy (besides your build). Some thieves get too greedy or in the moment which tends to get them killed (and it's good to bait the ones that play this way). Depending on their build, if you don't get coordinated effort you may not be able to kill the smarter ones.

You're not wrong. However, I can tell you my mesmer running multiple teleport and stealth skills never had any trouble walking away from a fight. Meanwhile, my sword weaver is pretty much all-in on every engagement!

Hehe, some of my builds are all or nothing and they can be very fun, actually one of my weaver builds is also like that but it can take punishment. Some builds don't have the luxury of pulling out for sure.

@rng.1024 said:There is a legendary video on youtube of a power herald (with his hammer) only chase and kill thieves trying to escape B)Oh yes I did that too around 2015/16.

Phase Traversal > Hammer2 > Hammer Auto > Phase Traversal > Hammer2 > Hammer Auto > ...

The Hammer auto attacks dealt 4K + 1.5K Air Sigil + 1K Fire Sigil damage and Hammer 2 was basically a oneshot.

Great times for thief haters...

@KrHome.1920 said:

@rng.1024 said:There is a legendary video on youtube of a power herald (with his hammer) only chase and kill thieves trying to escape B)Oh yes I did that too around 2015/16.

Phase Traversal > Hammer2 > Hammer Auto > Phase Traversal > Hammer2 > Hammer Auto > ...

The Hammer auto attacks dealt 4K + 1.5K Air Sigil + 1K Fire Sigil damage and Hammer 2 was basically a oneshot.

Yeah it was hilarious when they thought they got away and.. BOOM! :3

@KrHome.1920 said:

Does air + fire sigil still work? Been away a while and haven't brushed up on sigil elements icd's

@MarzAttakz.9608 said:

Does air + fire sigil still work? Been away a while and haven't brushed up on sigil elements icd'sThey do, but they are underwhelming. I don't use any of them these days. There are better alternatives, not necessarily damage-wise, but utility-wise... like cleansing, energy, absorption, vision...

@"Mikhael.2391" said:Game dies with thiefs never leaving the top. Just look at last balance patch. Anet math for balance and fun is just bad and un professional.

thieves ? thief haters"when i run away from someone, that's winning"

I guarantee others are getting away, but while not everyone immediately registers other class Elite icons, everyone will zero in on that thief to know what's up with them. That thief is feeling the threshold of how long they can keep doing what they're doing before getting locked down and exploded and has already thought of their getaway, which you should be doing also and build for it like they do.

@kash.9213 said:I guarantee others are getting away, but while not everyone immediately registers other class Elite icons, everyone will zero in on that thief to know what's up with them. That thief is feeling the threshold of how long they can keep doing what they're doing before getting locked down and exploded and has already thought of their getaway, which you should be doing also and build for it like they do.

• points at the Soulbeast zooming away over the horizon at mach 7 *

I guess they don't notice them escaping because they're too fast for the human eye to follow.