WvW Skirmish Tracks need a gold reward per Tier

Geoff Fey.1035

I mean if that's the case lets also just tell them to stop giving us exotic gear like warlords then if it's of no worth, jfc. Hey happy you earn thousands of gold in fractals, I really don't care, I earn what I need out of wvw alone.

But keep throwing around badly calculated numbers, I'm sure the devs won't see right through that at all, and just throw up an extra 1000 golds in the skirmish track to make up for it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would adding 2 or 5 gold to the repeatable chests after earning 1450 pips be really all that much gold per hour? It depends on how you look at it.

Let’s try it at 2 for regular repeatable chests and 5 for the final chest. That’s 15 gold for the full repeat. At 330 pips you can get that in 2.75 hours if you tick at 10 pips. That’s about 5.5 gold per hour.

Of course, sPvP only gets rewards from the reward tracks and the league pip chests. So WvW has an “advantage” in earning bags from kills. But is that really all that lucrative on average? The answer is no in part to discourage farming other players in organized kill trading.

But compared to PvE? A few hours is worth a lot more gold.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Xen, remind me, did you play Warhammer Online?

Yes and yes, it was like kill 25 enemy players or kill 50 of a certain class or race and you could get it from each of the 3 factions of your side. I don't remember them giving a lot of currency for them, like a couple silvers not gold, but then again their economy is different from gw2. Not sure if there was limitations to them either, other than having to go back to the npc to hand in.

There was a mix of silver and gold. Private server carried those over as is and last time I was there it was that as well.

@XenesisII.1540 said:Like I said I'd be more open to more gold as long as we have to play to earn it, if they toned down the participation you got for repairing and siege hits (like next to 0) I'd be on board for more gold.

What I don't like with this thread overall is trying to skewer the numbers so much to make that point though, like let's not pretend we're completely starving for gold here and just be honest with the points.

Agree not looking for passive gain, but if they went with a quest system with different requirement I think that would make it so it's more of an active addition.

@XenesisII.1540 said:I mean if that's the case lets also just tell them to stop giving us exotic gear like warlords then if it's of no worth, jfc. Hey happy you earn thousands of gold in fractals, I really don't care, I earn what I need out of wvw alone.

Lovely this mentality. „As Long as I have everything I need, i don’t care“. But this is not what it’s about. It’s about the fact that you earn by far less then in the other 2 game modes.

But keep throwing around badly calculated numbers, I'm sure the devs won't see right through that at all, and just throw up an extra 1000 golds in the skirmish track to make up for it.

I just took the numbers from this post but I give you that, I calculated the gold per hour from the wvw rewards in the past and it was around 1.7g/h or something so it’s slightly better ;). 10g/h in PvE is easy to reach and not even the best value you can get so still even if you would buff the WvW rewards by about 500% you would still earn less then in PvE.

I never said throw up an extra 1000g in skirmish chests but they need to have extra gold. Your suggestion was to turn up the rewards for capping keeps, sorry to say that but suggestions like this are the real problem of this whole game. I personally don’t want to be forced from players like you to join this blob fights and server transferring. For you everything needs to be related to bigger fights more capping and decapping ppt here ppt there or pure mass-kills. You don’t want to see it but skirmish chests are the best reward system we have because they are not related to a specific playstyle as you all guys want it to be.

Because I tell you what it’s not the kills it’s not the points at the end, it’s not the keeps that we capped, it’s about my time I spent in this game mode. It has the same value as someone who plays fractals. Why am I punished for playing my favorite game mode in terms of rewards?

@Senqu.8054 said:I just took the numbers from this post but I give you that, I calculated the gold per hour from the wvw rewards in the past and it was around 1.7g/h or something so it’s slightly better ;). 10g/h in PvE is easy to reach and not even the best value you can get so still even if you would buff the WvW rewards by about 500% you would still earn less then in PvE.

I never said throw up an extra 1000g in skirmish chests but they need to have extra gold. Your suggestion was to turn up the rewards for capping keeps, sorry to say that but suggestions like this are the real problem of this whole game. I personally don’t want to be forced from players like you to join this blob fights and server transferring. For you everything needs to be related to bigger fights more capping and decapping ppt here ppt there or pure mass-kills. You don’t want to see it but skirmish chests are the best reward system we have because they are not related to a specific playstyle as you all guys want it to be.

Because I tell you what it’s not the kills it’s not the points at the end, it’s not the keeps that we capped, it’s about my time I spent in this game mode. It has the same value as someone who plays fractals. Why am I punished for playing my favorite game mode in terms of rewards?

Listen.This is my last response to you.I am not against raising the rewards for wvw.I am against posting obviously badly calculated numbers to try and prove this point.I am against lazy afk earned rewards.The participation system has a problem, I have pointed out the problem.I have never mentioned turning up rewards for capping keeps, now you are making kitten up to make your rant.I also do not want to reward zergs more for just zerging, I want a fair system for all players playing wvw, and while the skirmish participation has it's problems it is the right idea, I have said this before.I know the problems of increasing rewards through kills, caps, reward tracks, skirmish tracks, I look both ways on the arguments, before crossing the street, and posting in threads. You should too, and understand why the wvw systems are based on time gates rather than active gates compared to the other two modes.If you don't understand my simple points, that's your problem, carry on with your protest.Good day.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Senqu.8054 said:I just took the numbers from this post but I give you that, I calculated the gold per hour from the wvw rewards in the past and it was around 1.7g/h or something so it’s slightly better ;). 10g/h in PvE is easy to reach and not even the best value you can get so still even if you would buff the WvW rewards by about 500% you would still earn less then in PvE.

Listen.This is my last response to you.I am not against raising the rewards for wvw.I am against posting obviously badly calculated numbers to try and prove this point.

10g/h vs 1,7g/h is very realistic

I am against lazy afk earned rewards.The participation system has a problem, I have pointed out the problem.I have never mentioned turning up rewards for capping keeps, now you are making kitten up to make your rant.I also do not want to reward zergs more for just zerging, I want a fair system for all players playing wvw, and while the skirmish participation has it's problems it is the right idea, I have said this before.I know the problems of increasing rewards through kills, caps, reward tracks, skirmish tracks, I look both ways on the arguments, before crossing the street, and posting in threads. You should too, and understand why the wvw systems are based on time gates rather than active gates compared to the other two modes.If you don't understand my simple points, that's your problem, carry on with your protest.Good day.

It was just oversimplified from my side but you said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:I do think it would be nice to have more personal achievements to earn more gold, and not the regular go cap a tower do 3 dailies and get 2 gold. I mean like interrupt players 5000 times and get 5g (repeatable), heal for 50k and get 5g (repeatable), things that require you to be active in the game. Of course like anything else that is susceptible to botting, which is why numbers will have to very high and gains very low, which means zerging is more profitable.. this is why we can't have nice things in the end...

Which is also a method of shifting rewards to mass blob gameplay as you stated. I don’t care if it’s now keep capping or doing something x-hundert times. xD The suggestions from you guys are all the same. You tell people that kill quest rewards can be kind of abused but heal and other shit not? You even get to the point where you tell people that you don’t need that many gold and use it as a kind of argument against pumping rewards up to a point where it’s balanced to PvE or what is this about? As I said a real problem for this community and i tell you WvW dies because of this mentality. If PvE would be threatened like this the players would protest. Skirmish chests/rewards is the only real way to go and it should not be a discussion of how to implement other ways to earn rewards but how to make the skirmish reward system better to not be abused for „afk-farmers“. It’s since 8 years the same discussion and it always gets slowed down by people like you and I tell you what, I’m just sick of it. Skirmish chests was one of the best things that happened to WvW and you still search for ways around it. It couldn’t be more counterproductive.

And don’t worry you don’t need to answer me. We all will still talk about this whole subject in 8 more years from now when the servers getting turned off because people still arguing whether it’s okey to earn some gold from skirmish chests or not while the regular PvE bleb hasn’t something else to do in this game anymore because he already crafted every single item and gambles with ectos like a russian oligarch out of boredom now. As soon as you are interested in skins and in generell fashion wars you are lost as WvW player and this will most likely never change GG.

This community can delete whole class mechanics from elite specializations if it cry’s loud enough but simply unite in subjects like this is not possible. Priority’s are set straight I guess.

https://gw2efficiency.com/account/farming-tracker

People can feel free to post some numbers. Will try to remember when I pve next week or something. ;) This is what happened last time when a thread like this came out last year-- we'll see how the numbers hold up : https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72080/how-much-do-we-earn-on-average-in-an-hour-of-active-wvw/p2

Note that I took numbers for WvW blobbing which didn't seem that bad. Havoc on an empty server though....

Huh, someone pulled 6 words out of my paragraph and didn't bother to understand the entire point, how shocking.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:https://gw2efficiency.com/account/farming-tracker

People can feel free to post some numbers. Will try to remember when I pve next week or something. ;) This is what happened last time when a thread like this came out last year-- we'll see how the numbers hold up : https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72080/how-much-do-we-earn-on-average-in-an-hour-of-active-wvw/p2

Note that I took numbers for WvW blobbing which didn't seem that bad. Havoc on an empty server though....

I would be more interested to see account values from people.

I honestly didn't expect this post to generate the conversation it did, but a lot of the points brought up make a huge amount of sense.

When originally writing, I was trying to analyze things from a low/middling case scenario.

• PvP - 50/50 Win/Loss
  • WvW - Lowest Tier/Warscore
  • PvE - Slow(er) Fractal run

Admittedly, CM+T4 fractals would be unfair to compare vs. 50/50 PvP & Lowest Tier WvW since that level of fractals is considered to be "high end fractals" even though once you get into CM the T4's feel like "easy mode" and some groups don't even bother with recs at that point. A more even comparison would be something like CM+T4 vs. WvW Silver Rank vs. PvP Gold 2-3 Div.

In addition, my analysis was trying to focus on liquid gold due to the wildly fluctuating nature of RNGesus, so it was easier to earmark the gold rather than the drops that could be converted/sold.

The basis of my argument was that WvW is a much higher time investment than PvP/PvE for roughly lesser gain. As well, that gain is tied to the market value of things whereas PvE/PvP gives you gold regardless of how the market is doing. Skirmish Chests can give you Unidentified Dye, but you only get 42 boxes for completing the Skirmish Track per week (more for the un-repeatable) which currently gives you merely 2g. I did not mention blueprints because honestly those have such low value on the TP at the moment (again, tied to TP) that they aren't worth getting into.

Botting is the primary concern with this, as they just need to maintain T3+ participation to rack up gold which impacts the entire economy, but that's a similar problem with PvE leaching and PvP bots, so it's just an extension of an already existing issue.

A few people suggested tying it to the non-repeatable skirmish tiers. Tying it to the final Skirmish chest of each tier would be a good way of ensuring people stay in WvW and compensate them for the time investment. If we wanted to flip this on its head, we could keep the current WvW Rewards while giving players who actively engage in WvW ways to increase pips:

• +1 Pip for every 10 T0 Camps/Towers/Keeps Captured
  • +1 Pip for Flipping T1 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +2 Pip for Flipping T2 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +3 Pip for Flipping T3 Camps/Towers/Keeps

That way, it promotes actively farming and roaming around, or getting into a big zerg and going after an entire BL/EBG and trying to capture as much as possible. It gives you pips for capturing T0 but you need to capture ten times the amount for relatively little gain, and it heavily promotes getting involved and taking down strong servers.

That way you can increase the speed at which you complete the Skirmish Track to access the rewards. It doesn't fix the underlying nature of WvW income (tied to market & less baseline than PvP/Fractals) but increasing the speed is a good enough bandaid while they address the underlying problems.

Thoughts?

Some observations:

• Many players don't do T4s let alone CMs. Anyone without ascended armor isn't going to be doing T4s. If they are they are being carried basically. For tiers lower than T4 you're looking at typically 3-5 fractal encryption per scale on top of whatever loot comes from the daily completion and mobs inside the fractal. I joined a few T1/T2 groups this past week to gauge exactly how long it would take to guide people that have no clue what they're doing and you would be surprised at how long some people take. Whereas a T4+recs group that is smooth can easily finish 6 fractals in an hour or so.
  • PvP season achievements (not titles) are balanced around 25 wins for 60 games. That's around silver 2 or 3 tier I think. The major issue with PvP is people afking / botting hundreds of not thousands of games (which is something that should either be stopped automatically via verification after the PvP Byzantium chest loops a certain amount of times or otherwise).

Instead of liquid gold to stop variance from market fluctuations on materials, just reward things that benefit primarily WvW players. That primarily means easier obtained ascended select stats for people willing to put in the effort as well as exotic stat select armor. As I stated above and for months if not years, grandmaster mark shards need to go and be replaced by the grandmaster mark chests. Ascended trinkets , infused rings, and backpiece are already obtainable but due to the grandmaster mark timegate you'd have to dump more money into ascended armor/weapons from WvW than crafting it outright. Having easier access to armor from within WvW improves QoL (quality of life) for commanders and for other people on the server because you can't expect people new to WvW to have stats only used in WvW such as trailblazer or celestial.

In addition , anything that doesn't promote protecting and attacking T3 keeps/towers is a failure to me. Those provide the most skirmish tick so anything that overlooks their importance is not helpful whatsoever other than for ktraining. That is why I think the WvW veteran creature slayer daily should be ditched for WvW caravan defender daily , where a caravan going to an untiered keep/tower can be defended. The effort would be similarly low but people wouldn't afk at the spawnspots.

From fast farming eu , the valuation on a skirmish chest is ~12 silvers ; badge of honor is valued at 38 copper per badge, and testimonies of heroics < 2 silver per. Icebrood Saga repeatable reward track is valued at 24g per completion and so are Sandswept Isles and Istan reward tracks. Gift of battle is valued at 18g but I am assuming that is not counting the value of making a legendary. The problem with tying even greater rewards to reward tracks is there are quite a few boosters.

Also, because gold is transferable, there's nothing stopping people from botting , afking, or cheating rewards and transferring those resources to another account, which is another argument for accountbound things that WvW players normally require resources to acquire. It could be simple things such as a reduction in siege material upgrade cost, tactics/traps cost, guild siege from guild missions in WvW, +5 WvW infusion drops from lords, a 32 slot siegemaster satchel requiring testimonies of heroics, an upgrade path for mistforged weapons that allows to be upgraded to legendary stats without any skin change, a basic collection requiring all mistforged hero weapons that awards legendary sigil, ascended mistforged weapons rewarded for maxed WvW titles, allowing +5 WvW infusions to merge with +9 AR infusions to be useful in fractals, etc.

Ultimately, I believe the emphasis ought to be on what WvW players are likely to use the gold on in the game mode rather than just handing out extra gold. Net income would be boosted for those who are active in the mode if the running expenses incurred are decreased.That means:

• Weapons/armor (i.e. Mistforged Triumphant or Triumphant Hero armor, Mistforged Hero's weapns)
  • Trinkets/rings/amulet/backpiece (covered by Warbringer as well as Conflux and Mist Band (Infused) , Mist Pendant, Mist Talisman)** timegate = 350 tickets on mist band, 260 tickets for mist pendant, 175 tickets for mist talisman
  • Siege (Superior is covered mostly but guild siege could be provided more readily)
  • Utility/Food ---- there's currently no commonly used group-based Utility outside of sharpening stone station (which is impractical given the cost), nor is there a heal utility available from canned food crate or portable provisioners
  • Tactics/Improvements for structures (the high cost is the domain of a guild, but alleviated somewhat via Skirmish chests)
  • Traps/tricks (alleviated somewhat via Skirmish chests)
  • Inventory space for pre-purchased siege not from portable provisioner or guild siege
  • WvW +5 infusions

@"Geoff Fey.1035" said:I honestly didn't expect this post to generate the conversation it did, but a lot of the points brought up make a huge amount of sense.

When originally writing, I was trying to analyze things from a low/middling case scenario.

• PvP - 50/50 Win/Loss
  • WvW - Lowest Tier/Warscore
  • PvE - Slow(er) Fractal run

Admittedly, CM+T4 fractals would be unfair to compare vs. 50/50 PvP & Lowest Tier WvW since that level of fractals is considered to be "high end fractals" even though once you get into CM the T4's feel like "easy mode" and some groups don't even bother with recs at that point. A more even comparison would be something like CM+T4 vs. WvW Silver Rank vs. PvP Gold 2-3 Div.

In addition, my analysis was trying to focus on liquid gold due to the wildly fluctuating nature of RNGesus, so it was easier to earmark the gold rather than the drops that could be converted/sold.

The basis of my argument was that WvW is a much higher time investment than PvP/PvE for roughly lesser gain. As well, that gain is tied to the market value of things whereas PvE/PvP gives you gold regardless of how the market is doing. Skirmish Chests can give you Unidentified Dye, but you only get 42 boxes for completing the Skirmish Track per week (more for the un-repeatable) which currently gives you merely 2g. I did not mention blueprints because honestly those have such low value on the TP at the moment (again, tied to TP) that they aren't worth getting into.

Botting is the primary concern with this, as they just need to maintain T3+ participation to rack up gold which impacts the entire economy, but that's a similar problem with PvE leaching and PvP bots, so it's just an extension of an already existing issue.

A few people suggested tying it to the non-repeatable skirmish tiers. Tying it to the final Skirmish chest of each tier would be a good way of ensuring people stay in WvW and compensate them for the time investment. If we wanted to flip this on its head, we could keep the current WvW Rewards while giving players who actively engage in WvW ways to increase pips:

• +1 Pip for every 10 T0 Camps/Towers/Keeps Captured
  • +1 Pip for Flipping T1 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +2 Pip for Flipping T2 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +3 Pip for Flipping T3 Camps/Towers/Keeps

That way, it promotes actively farming and roaming around, or getting into a big zerg and going after an entire BL/EBG and trying to capture as much as possible. It gives you pips for capturing T0 but you need to capture ten times the amount for relatively little gain, and it heavily promotes getting involved and taking down strong servers.

That way you can increase the speed at which you complete the Skirmish Track to access the rewards. It doesn't fix the underlying nature of WvW income (tied to market & less baseline than PvP/Fractals) but increasing the speed is a good enough bandaid while they address the underlying problems.

Thoughts?

I would add double those pips for defending the objectives as well so that there is more incentive to defend rather then flip:

• +2 Pip for every 10 T0 Camps/Towers/Keeps Defended
  • +2 Pip for defending T1 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +4 Pip for defending T2 Camps/Towers/Keeps
  • +6 Pip for defending T3 Camps/Towers/Keeps

War score placement at the end of the skirmish rewards you with pips based on your score that go towards that weeks Skirmish track.+300 Pips +150 skirmish tickets for 1st Place+200 Pips +75 skirmish tickets for 2nd Place+100 Pips + 37 skirmish tickets for 3rd Place

This would guarantee some extra repeatable chests, and help max out the track for those that were close, but didn't have the time that week to participate as much as they liked. You'd have to be logged in at reset to get these rewards though, and so long as you had gained pips that week you get the reward.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:I would add double those pips for defending the objectives as well so that there is more incentive to defend rather then flip:

I like the idea of promoting defense. A lot of people mostly either ignore defense entirely or use it as bait for fights. There really isn't much incentive for defending a location after capturing it until it hits T1 (mostyl T2) onwards. I'm on the fence about defense giving more pips vs attacking. Some defenses can go for a long time with the 3-5 minute timer running several times over as the battle goes on--couple that with the fact that sometimes you don't get participation for it due to A) not being there long enough or B) the fight petering around at the half-timer mark and then the game considers you not participating, so it could be frustrating.

If we're keeping the timer for defense, I'd say:

• +1 pip for every 5 T0 defended
  • +1 pip for T1 & T2
  • +2 Pip for T3

The larger defenses (T2+T3) can sometimes run for 30 minutes depending on participation, so you'd net a decent amount of pips just by participating (in this case that'd be 6 pips for T1/T2 or 12 pips for T3, in addition to those from the regular timer).

It's also fair vs. attacking because you typically can cap a lot more (getting pips via this system) rather than defending one static area. The idea of needing only 5 T0 defended is to promote value in "paper" so that some people might still protect them. It also is a gimme to the roamers/scouts/camp guards who look after the smaller areas while running dolyaks.

War score placement at the end of the skirmish rewards you with pips based on your score that go towards that weeks Skirmish track.+300 Pips +150 skirmish tickets for 1st Place+200 Pips +75 skirmish tickets for 2nd Place+100 Pips + 37 skirmish tickets for 3rd Place

This would guarantee some extra repeatable chests, and help max out the track for those that were close, but didn't have the time that week to participate as much as they liked. You'd have to be logged in at reset to get these rewards though, and so long as you had gained pips that week you get the reward.

I really like this idea. I'd say it should be built into the Skirmish 2-hr timer:

• 2x Pips + 2Y tickets for 1st place
  • 1x Pips + 1Y tickets for 2nd place
  • 1Y tickets for 3rd place

At the end of the week there should be some kind of reward but I'm leery about suggesting tickets. If it becomes tickets, then it would definitely require the ticket cost for everything to be increased because of the influx week after week. If they make it so that you need to complete Gold Track to be able to access that reward, that would help with ensuring a goodly time investment for the reward at the end.

@Geoff Fey.1035 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:I would add double those pips for defending the objectives as well so that there is more incentive to defend rather then flip:

I like the idea of promoting defense. A lot of people mostly either ignore defense entirely or use it as bait for fights. There really isn't much incentive for defending a location after capturing it until it hits T1 (mostyl T2) onwards. I'm on the fence about defense giving more pips vs attacking. Some defenses can go for a long time with the 3-5 minute timer running several times over as the battle goes on--couple that with the fact that sometimes you don't get participation for it due to A) not being there long enough or B) the fight petering around at the half-timer mark and then the game considers you not participating, so it could be frustrating.

If we're keeping the timer for defense, I'd say:
  • +1 pip for every 5 T0 defended
  • +1 pip for T1 & T2
  • +2 Pip for T3

The larger defenses (T2+T3) can sometimes run for 30 minutes depending on participation, so you'd net a decent amount of pips just by participating (in this case that'd be 6 pips for T1/T2 or 12 pips for T3, in addition to those from the regular timer).Fair, but the defense timer is 5 minutes, so that 30 minute fight would give several rewards.It's also fair vs. attacking because you typically can cap a lot more (getting pips via this system) rather than defending one static area. The idea of needing only 5 T0 defended is to promote value in "paper" so that some people might still protect them. It also is a gimme to the roamers/scouts/camp guards who look after the smaller areas while running dolyaks.

I really like this idea. I'd say it should be built into the Skirmish 2-hr timer:
  • 2x Pips + 2Y tickets for 1st place
  • 1x Pips + 1Y tickets for 2nd place
  • 1Y tickets for 3rd place

At the end of the week there should be some kind of reward but I'm leery about suggesting tickets. If it becomes tickets, then it would definitely require the ticket cost for everything to be increased because of the influx week after week. If they make it so that you need to complete Gold Track to be able to access that reward, that would help with ensuring a goodly time investment for the reward at the end.

Fair point as well. Bonus pips per 2hr skirmish placement would be nice. Final rewards for the week requiring gold completion would be fair as well. The extra tickets would be for normalizing the time delta for leggy armor between game modes.

We have this discussions for really long time and it's gets worse with each patch(as the gap gets bigger).I love WvW as a gamemode but I just feel "scammed" out of rewards while playing it.Devs please increase the gold rewards, and do it quite fast. You can even advertise it in patch teaser that there will be increased rewards for WvW, for some players this really can be a game changer.

Gold is a better option than items because gold holds its value better. The only other option would be to add a vendor in spawn for badges of honor to allow us to buy various tiers of items. The problem with that solution is that a lot of us have 50k+ badges and it would crash the economy unless a weekly cap is added to the buy options.

If raw gold is added to the tracks, Anet will need to step up their game to kick the people doing minimum work to keep participation up to semi-AFK farm gold. One way to solve this is by capping an objective or killing a player is the only way to award participation. Defending, sentries, and monuments would have to be ruled out for participation which wouldn't be a big deal.

Either way, we need more gold income and I would prefer raw gold. Even 50 extra gold per week would help a lot. 10,000 rank, hundreds of thousands of kills...nothing to show for it.