How did you choose your main?

whoknocks.4935

Is it the first profession you made or trying different profession during your playtime made you switch your main?

Or maybe you chose it for a particular reason?

Talking of myself I don't think I have a real main, lately I felt inlove with Reaper and I wanna do map completion in it and as well WvW and PvP, so I guess now Reaper is my main? XD

Thanks everyone :disappointed:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My first character was a Ranger, I largely choose Ranger because I wanted to collect all the pets as I travel through the world and that was an exclusive thing only Rangers could do.It felt like a sort of quest in a way and back then Gw2 was new so nobody knew where the pets were and I got to experience that fresh Gotta Find/Catch Em All experience ^^That played a big role in my decision.I also decided to play a Ranger during the GW2 Beta and I really liked how the class felt and handled, specially the Longbow so I really wanted to make an Archer character as well when the game officially released.And yeah I have played many different Ranger builds over the years but my main has always come back to being an Archer with a Longbow XD

So Ranger was my main for a long time but after I started experimenting with other classes I grew quite fond of the Necromancer and made that my main for a good while.But eventually I started playing Ranger again and got reattached to it and swapped my main back to Ranger and it has been my main class for the vast majority of Gw2's lifespan.I do consider Necro a secondary main or more accurately a joint main to Ranger since I do love the Necro too and Necro was my main back in Gw1 as well. (Necro/Ranger specifically)I do enjoy both classes quite evenly although Ranger does get more playtime than Necro due to dailies and my first character/ranger always being the character I take through new content first.

Warrior has started to work up the preferences a bit though in recent months, it's become my 3rd favourite class recently and I very much like sustain it has access to.Sustain/damage avoidance builds are by far my favourite playstyles in Gw2.I enjoy outhealing enemy damage (Necro/Warrior) or playing at Range/taking aggro off myself (Ranger).I have a thief build in mind that could push thief upto my 4th favourite if it works out well too so we'll see what happens with that one day.

Just for the sake of it too my least favourite class is Mesmer, I don't find that one all that fun to play despite having 2 of them XD

When I started, my main was a norn ranger. I liked using longbow, and I liked norns. I also did like to collect the pets, and come up with names for them, etc. I started losing interest in her around the time HoT came out because I didn't like the new specialization, and I was tired of being huge while trying to do jumping puzzles and stuff like that.

I switched to a sylvari mesmer, and I've had her as my main ever since. I liked her because she had decent dps but could also solo really hard mobs with her clones. I still wish that she could use a bow, because I really like bows, but I still really enjoy playing her.

I did like the Ranger specialization for PoF, but I never really got into my ranger again. I haven't played for over a year now, so I might go back to her, but for now I'm gonna see how I like my mesmer.

i started 2015 with an warrior. For me ,it wasnt much fun so i quit after a few months.2018(or 2017 idk anymore) i came back and saw the Revenant, which wasnt there when i last played.

Now im revenant 90% of the time. I have fun with it (as herald) ,can be quick and agile, pretty supportive & tanky.... well yeah. Too sad so many are that toxic against heralds in PvE.
Thats why i often change in endgame pve to meta classes, so people stop whining.

Also: I picked Charr-Revenant ,before i knew Rhytlock. Just didnt had an charr before :bleep_bloop:

Not sure if this thread should be in the Lore category but I'll bite.

Main in GW1 was a Ranger, found that I enjoyed GW2's rangers as well and stuck with it as a main, which as I'm an alt-oholic mostly translates to running my Ranger through new stuff first. It still has most of the best gear out of my characters and gets the most play time, but close seconds would be my Ele and my Thief as I just enjoy their game style as well.

Started out as a Ranger because I was a Ranger in GW2.Eventually tried Guardian because of heavy armor with greatsword magic attacks.Finally settled with Engineer because of Technology and Rifle.

I also saw potential in Engineer profession if they ever planned to expand Engineer in expansions before HoT was even released.

Engineer profession certainly has potential for creating a Elite Specialization themed around modifying and creating weapons but as of now there is no Elite Spec that focus on Modying the Engineer Main Weapons into having new and unique weapon skills based on how the Main Weapons are modified.

After testing a necromancer, engineer, elementalist and guardian, I made a thief and it was almost instant "I freaking love this backstabbing guy". It took me 6 months to find my true main.Currently, thief is my oldest character. Everything created before my charr thief has been deleted.Later, I recreated my first guardian (the same asura, look and name), but as a revenant. He died, and then returned from the mists or something like a true revenant.

I have two mains. Goliath Bill is a direct descendant of my GW1 Ele and is named after him as well. The other is a multiverse-character I use in other fantasy games and fantasy tabletop RPG's as either a warrior or barbarian. The latter runs every content through first, but the former tend to play the content more

I chose elementalist on day one because I love elemental stuff, I’m a big fan of a few shows that have that so I was a big fan of that type of thing. Also chose human male since that’s what I am and usually when I’m new I make the first character that since the new races are something I want to learn about first

Came here to play as Charr, I was between Warrior, Engineer.

Warrior is a cliché class on most mmorpg.Checked a showcase video of animations and skills of every class, fell in love with engineer, rifles, turrets, grenades. Very unique for a fantasy rpg. I also read that they are hard to play so it was like a challenge accepted.

I pretty much suspected my main would be a mesmer even before launch, since i played and loved my mesmer in Guild Wars 1. Yeah I know they're different but as it turned out they're equally fun for me.

However, the first character I played and leveled to 80 was an engineer. That was also the first character I completed the personal story on. See, I've been with my wife a long time and it takes her ages to settle on a main, so I saved my main to play with her main when she finally picked it. She started with an ele, and played for a while, tried a bunch of other classes, and finally ended up with a guardian. When I was sure it was going to be her main, I started playing my mesmer with her.

This is what experience looks like. lol

• Like 1

My first created profession is not my main anymore. First was ele because D/D was awesome in the beginning. But I dont really have a main, I kinda like to shift around specific professions. But I do have some least favorites. Engineer, thief and revenant are way below my other professions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still new, but I know I'll be sticking with my charr engineer for a while (was also my first character).

Everything about the character speaks to me. I love the beast/cat races (played caitians in STO, cathar in SWTOR, Khajiit in ESO, so on and so forth), so that was an easy pick. I also love playing jack of all trades / support style characters, so engineer popped out from the rest. The fact that engineer has access to all kinds of turrets and tech also helped, I used to play a game called Global Agenda and mained a robotics character there; robotics were the same kind of hybrid/support character, focused on drones and turrets and other deployables. Also played a powertech in SWTOR, for similar reasons. I love tech.

Then, of course, the fact that Iron legion / Charr storyline really works well with a charr engineer just sealed the deal. That character is perfect right off the bat =P

Problem is, I'm having a really tough time with alts, because I cant find another race/class combo that is nearly as entertaining for me.

Necromancer for me.I liked the whole Minionmancer idea until I found out it was pretty meh in high level content.

Then I found out that Power Reaper was not only durable but also does alot of damage on demand, and can solo alot of open world challenges, so I hopped onto Reaper and built a really self sustaining Berserker build revolving around Death Magic and Spite.

I ended up going Asura guardian because I like the race and wanted to be a support role, it wasn't the meta until I got into doing stuff as a firebrand though. Like fractals and WvW, though I've been lax in still keeping up with those activities lately and my no time playing on my main has declined a little bit.

Human, engineer because I liked the idea of the turrets and having elixirs. (Through, still sad I'm not really an alchemist) With HoT I became a scrapper and with PoF, an holo. Through, I switch between my characters with time: I play more my charr berseker with the recent story, and a lot my asura weaver because I need my dose of asura .

My first character was a Human thief because I was like " I always play Templars Paladins Crusaders Guardians" then I got super bored of my human thief, Nuked that character and made a human Guardian, I liked the class but playing a human got boring really fast, so I kept that Guardian as a backpack character and now my main is an awesome Charr Healbrand named Charrkion Lorekeeper, with book backpack and Flameseeker Prophecies as a a Shield :D

My main tends to be the first one I have some kind of meaningful connection to. It's something that came from 1v1 fighters back in the day; I would always pick the misunderstood, beastly characters. Due to having autism, being an Otherkin, and experiencing lots of general dysphoria because humanity can be terrible (though in Guild Wars 2 they can be incredibly endearing, adorable doofs like Farren and Koss and I wish real people were more like that). I've lived through a lot of abuse so I came to see the default, "pure" state of white humans, the "normal," the status quo as something sickly and diseased. I liked anything that bothered them, whatever they would call monsters. Be they real or fictional... Dragons, werewolves, bugbears, spiders, insects, snakes, shaarks, or anything else.

I was almost with Bangar after the horrific charr armour nonsense in Prophecies—skinning and wearing the hides of actually sapient persons who had hopes and dreams before they became someone's stat boost—but after I saw him refer to the norn as "savages," he lost me. I honestly wonder if they're going to have Jorm rehabilitate him to help ensure that anyone who still hates the charr after all this feels as uncomfortable as possible. The last thing we need are people who're as actually Nazi as Caudecus, the Separatists, and the Ascalonians.

The point I'm getting at is that I try to see things from a lot of perspectives. Those outside of the status quo appeal to me.

It didn't take me very long to figure out that Jormag was on the level. All I had to do was shift my perspective to empathise with them. Why would they be doing what they're doing? Easy. Take a dragon's instinct to survive and put a mole in Dragon's Watch and there you go. Yep, Dragon's Watch has a mole. Someone isn't who they claim to be, can you guess who? That's why Jorm can't tell us their plan. It's also why they can't just let Dragon's Watch slow them down because Dragon's Watch is being mislead. It's all very clever. It's been revealed to us that Jorm isn't evil, that they always speak the truth, and that they love Tyria. I think I know what they're up to, too. I have a number of theories, but my favourite is that they're going to cleanse Primordius of his torment affliction. If Kralkatorrik has a mother, all dragons might be siblings, and Primordius might be Jormag's bigger brother. This story would make me ugly cry in the best way.

That isn't the only theory I have, mind you. There are others.

I was especially pleased when Jormag deplatformed Bangar. That was beautiful. I actually called this to some friends about three days before Jormag Rising landed, that Jorm was tricking Bangar so that they could stop him from using his charismatic voice to harm people. Words can kill. Jormag understands this better than anyone, and they loathe suffering, loss, and death so that's why they censored him. I mean, they literally censored him! He can't swear! I love it. It's also why they chose Ryland as a champion. It makes sense. Ryland lost everything. His warband, his mentor to madness, his parents to the manipulations of his mentor, and likely even more. He's a very tragic figure. Except, hey, Jormag can fix that. Jormie can mend Ryland pretty easily.

Consider: Jormag can go to the Mists, they can heal Rytlock and Crecia given the chance, and they can rehabilitate Bangar to bring him out of his madness. It just makes sense. From that perspective, Ryland would see that Jormag could offer this to everyone. A world where pain, suffering, and loss aren't necessary. That's their end goal. I mean... Ice fortifies, ice preserves, ice protects. This was what I clicked with. I'd thought about having an Aurene character and if not for Jormag that might've been what I would've went for. I really appreciate Aurene. It's just that Aurene is... very young. They still lack wisdom, experience, and know little of hardships. They've lived a blessed life. While this has made them well-adjusted, it also means that I have difficulty relating to them because it's left them with limited perspectives.

Jormag, however... Jormag's a somewhat stern, austere grandparent. A helicopter grandparent who cares too much for this world, its mortal children, and their dragon family. A den mother, I usppose. They want a world where loss, pain, and suffering don't need to rule the lives of every mortal. There's always going to be a little pain in life, there's not much we can do about that, but the sheer amount of terrible suffering that some tend to endure isn't necessary. The world could be better.

That was my bonding point. Icebrood.

I knew I wanted to make someone who was a mirror of Jormag in certain ways; thus I chose Mirage because I enjoy ham-fisted metaphors. I knew that I wanted them to be a charr as the charr are by far the most misunderstood of the playable species. I knew that I wanted them to be a battleax of a grandma who was austere and elegant. So I set to work. I wasn't really good at playing Mesmer so initially I wasn't good at playing Mirage either. This character mattered to me though so I put in the elbow grease and eventually they became the character I was best at playing.

I had others but as much as I loved them I never really clicked with them. I had Eva Airborne, my high-flying, richocheting manic dismantler (a Scrapper). I had Morne Lastlight, my epic death metal ballad swamp witch (a Reaper), and a few others but nothing really... clicked. If I'm to have a main, there needs to be something meaningful there, otherwise they're just a character I play.

Mirra Frostheart.

MirraHasASitDown.pngMirraFrostheartUpdated.png

I've also started working on a secondary, too...

Dirge Frostwall.

unknown.png

(Edited to remove instances of a word I hadn't realised would be caught by the filter that began with 'bad,' which I think is safe to say as that isn't the taboo part.)

• Like 1

@Ultramex.1506 said:Asura engineer!Smart races? Engineer profession that can build Turret, use gun? I'm sold

I want to play an asura engineer but the visuals just dont work out. Sure would be nice if they'd sell class/ability skins so we could get a high tech/magic look for asura engineer abilities.

I went charr instead, they fit the engineer's stuff much better IMO.