[Vid] WvW Thief Roaming vol. 2

Widmo.3186

Hello again fellow kiddos.I havent seen recently too many threads mentioning how OP teef class is. Makes me kinda sad.It used to be a better place with all this hatred towards teefs and pewpew rangers.So, how about showing sh*tfest once again?

No offense. I'm not casting any doubts on your ability as a player. But watching thief gameplay is nauseating. Port, burst, port, burst. Half-second window to do anything about it, but you're immobilized and you have weakness and a couple other condis auto-applied every time the thief ports in (assuming you aren't blinded on top of that!). Sorry! Missed your chance! He's back at range again! Barf.

Nice skills though, as far as I can tell. I don't mean to diminish your abilities in any way. I just really dislike the design of thief in this game!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:No offense. I'm not casting any doubts on your ability as a player. But watching thief gameplay is nauseating. Port, burst, port, burst. Half-second window to do anything about it, but you're immobilized and you have weakness and a couple other condis auto-applied every time the thief ports in (assuming you aren't blinded on top of that!). Sorry! Missed your chance! He's back at range again! Barf.

Nice skills though, as far as I can tell. I don't mean to diminish your abilities in any way. I just really dislike the design of thief in this game!

thing is with s/d, RfI is on such a low cd for what it does and gives back 8 ini, you can safetly and afford to spam #3 a lot since you will always have that skill up, shame really. s/d is no way near it use to be in terms of skilful play. just bunny hop a lot.

@Crazy.6029 said:Has anyone ever been watching a steaming vid and then slide slide your mouse over to click the reward chests?

Sometimes I have a gw2 stream or vid on the other monitor and get psyched by the audio lol, mostly because I am conditioned to react to the sound. I guess sometimes I feel like clicking the screen of videos I'm watching without realising it, because you get so used to doing it in game it becomes an automatic process.

Nice vid, core is always good to watch.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:No offense. I'm not casting any doubts on your ability as a player. But watching thief gameplay is nauseating. Port, burst, port, burst. Half-second window to do anything about it

Yea that is just the way thief is designed. Attack retreat. But as long as you're staying within combat as you play then a decent player can still delete you if they know what they're doing. So fair play imo.

A tough pill that thieves really should learn to swallow however is that going OOC during a 1v1 is losing. I know they justify it as they didn't kill me so its a draw, but they're dead wrong. If a thief attacks a player and OOC's 4 times and then on the 5th time kills their target the score is 4-1 against the thief. If you've got cooldowns up to run away then you've got cool downs up to keep fighting and possibly win. But being out played is being outplayed, whether you're way pointing, or OOCing with shortbow/stealth.

No, going out of combat doesn't count as losing. Losing is being dead on the floor. We shouldn't make this a narrative to avoid the discussion if thief really is fine with the toolkit that allows the class to always reset a fight - an no it's not fine at all.A good class balancing means that you either play good and win or play bad and die. Not play bad and run away to try again over and over.

@Doug.4930 said:Nice vid, core is always good to watch.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:No offense. I'm not casting any doubts on your ability as a player. But watching thief gameplay is nauseating. Port, burst, port, burst. Half-second window to do anything about it

Yea that is just the way thief is designed. Attack retreat. But as long as you're staying within combat as you play then a decent player can still delete you if they know what they're doing. So fair play imo.

A tough pill that thieves really should learn to swallow however is that going OOC during a 1v1 is losing. I know they justify it as they didn't kill me so its a draw, but they're dead wrong. If a thief attacks a player and OOC's 4 times and then on the 5th time kills their target the score is 4-1 against the thief. If you've got cooldowns up to run away then you've got cool downs up to keep fighting and possibly win. But being out played is being outplayed, whether you're way pointing, or OOCing with shortbow/stealth.

LoL@ It's fine. I just apply arbitrary conditions in my head so that when I lose I can call it winning!

I don't complain about losing fights. Every build has strengths and weaknesses and it's anything goes out there (especially for roamers!)! I just said I dislike the way it is designed. Could you share the scoreboard for his video, though? I'm pretty sure he won, but we'll have to consult the rulebook to be sure. ;)

@Doug.4930 said:Nice vid, core is always good to watch.

delete this

As a teef player, in 1v1 I dont ooc, especially in duels. As you said, going ooc in duels in most cases means that you lost. In 1vX it depends, sometimes you have to go ooc, especially when playing s/d. Thats how teef class is designed, nothing can be done with that.

@Jilora.9524 said:Oh and on top of it the biggest bs is that you start the finish port away so they can't use downed skills then port back right at the last second and we call that legit gameplay mechanics. Any skill/movement should interrupt the finish. I couldn't watch more after seeing that so you got me for a whole 2 minutes. I mean you already get stealth finish but at least I can pressure the downed players area with a spin to win sometimes and get a kill.

Lmao kid, thats how this game works for 8 years and every1 does that. Ive seen many complaints about teef, about oneshotting, evading, stealth uptime. But crying about using SS while stomping some1? I think youre the very first one Ive seen, at least in last few years.Wanna hear whats real bs when it comes to downed state? Ranger. AoE interrupt, pet healing bot and using pet skills. How about that, hmm?

@Widmo.3186 said:As a teef player, in 1v1 I dont ooc, especially in duels. As you said, going ooc in duels in most cases means that you lost. In 1vX it depends, sometimes you have to go ooc, especially when playing s/d. Thats how teef class is designed, nothing can be done with that.

@"Jilora.9524" said:Oh and on top of it the biggest bs is that you start the finish port away so they can't use downed skills then port back right at the last second and we call that legit gameplay mechanics. Any skill/movement should interrupt the finish. I couldn't watch more after seeing that so you got me for a whole 2 minutes. I mean you already get stealth finish but at least I can pressure the downed players area with a spin to win sometimes and get a kill.

Lmao kid, thats how this game works for 8 years and every1 does that. Ive seen many complaints about teef, about oneshotting, evading, stealth uptime. But crying about using SS while stomping some1? I think youre the very first one Ive seen, at least in last few years.Wanna hear whats real bs when it comes to downed state? Ranger. AoE interrupt, pet healing bot and using pet skills. How about that, hmm?

I will give you that you aren't spamming stealth or going OOC. Great job! You're also 100% correct that this is how thief is designed. I think a lot of people rather dislike that design, however. You're glassy on paper, but because of the design you leave very little opportunity for opponents to counter-pressure. In the hands of a good player like yourself, there are many builds that will have a difficult time counter-pressuring even if they are solid players. And even many of those are effectively countered in roaming by your ability to walk away whenever you like!

In my opinion, it produces gameplay that is unsatisfying from the perspective of the players involved as well as that of the third party. How much fun is it to find that a significant portion of fights are fights you can't win but can't lose either because "that's the design"? How fun is it for your opponent in those scenarios? Of course, in a highlight reel you're going to include the wins, but you see the same thing there. It feels almost as if the outcome is a forgone conclusion. The ball is almost entirely in your court as to whether this fight results in a win or a draw (but never a loss!).

Anyway, apologies for the thread hijack. I know you're somewhat looking for thief hate, but it's not directed at you so much as at the overall design.

@Widmo.3186 said:As a teef player, in 1v1 I dont ooc, especially in duels. As you said, going ooc in duels in most cases means that you lost. In 1vX it depends, sometimes you have to go ooc, especially when playing s/d. Thats how teef class is designed, nothing can be done with that.

@Jilora.9524 said:Oh and on top of it the biggest bs is that you start the finish port away so they can't use downed skills then port back right at the last second and we call that legit gameplay mechanics. Any skill/movement should interrupt the finish. I couldn't watch more after seeing that so you got me for a whole 2 minutes. I mean you already get stealth finish but at least I can pressure the downed players area with a spin to win sometimes and get a kill.

delete this

@"Doug.4930" said:A tough pill that thieves really should learn to swallow however is that going OOC during a 1v1 is losing. I know they justify it as they didn't kill me so its a draw, but they're dead wrong. If a thief attacks a player and OOC's 4 times and then on the 5th time kills their target the score is 4-1 against the thief. If you've got cooldowns up to run away then you've got cool downs up to keep fighting and possibly win. But being out played is being outplayed, whether you're way pointing, or OOCing with shortbow/stealth.

Yeah, if for whatever reason you've ooc as a thief in a 1v1 then that is already considered a loss/forfeit and not because any mechanic allowed it. It's just the thief running away because they knew they would more than likely lose if they didn't split. Now, there are some players with the mentality that don't care about that, they will consider that as some kind of tactic (we can all argue whether it is or not in WvW, but it is wild wild west here so there will be many players who don't follow standard ways of honor or fighting). For me though, if I managed to get a thief to even ooc once, that is already a win for me, and I made their toes curl.Sometimes I feel like people going ooc is like kids hiding behind their parents and going "teehee" while sticking their tongue out at you, then you turn around and they throw a snowball at the back of your head and do the same thing.I agree too about the part that "they didn't kill me so nothing counts" kind of thing, which is funny. This type of mentality is mostly adopted by the kind of players who run troll builds on classes who spam emotes and run like the road runner when you get them low. We've all come across players like this at some point.

Here is the way I see it, if i'm playing thief or if i'm defending myself from teef and the teef goes Ooc and comes back, then that means he senses weakness and is improvising his strategy. Most of the time if you make a thief go Ooc and it is done in a definitive way(meaning you would of for sure won) they wont come back. I don't main a thief but I do play one here and there. So, if a thief comes back on me and gets me, then its gg, I should have known. Good Thieves will keep mental notes on who is gonna give them a problem and who is gonna be meat. You can see that when you see a thief let one player go by and then pounce on the next, that's just how it is. Another way to look at it is this, when a thief pounces on you, it's a test. They are seeing what you are gonna do to counter them and if they see a weakness, then they are going to use to an advantage for them.

Thieves go ooc for 50s because this is the cooldown of their precious life saver called shadow step. They come back when it's off cooldown to try again... and again... and again.

Sometimes you can find a d/p or staff thief that engages, fails, goes ooc and comes back 5 seconds later as dire or carrion p/d to cheese you (thx templates!). If this happens I can't hold myself back and start to spam laugh emotes while not even bother fighting anymore.

Imagine everyone could change his build in a pvp match as soon as he is ooc... how the game mode would look like. That's thief in wvw. And I am pretty sure even at this point you will find players, who try to tell you, that this is the ultimate skill level, because it's "adaption" and adaption is "pro".

S/D thieves usually stay on their build as they need the training wheels of infiltrator's strike. It's so overpowered and you need to mess up in such a big way that it's hard to go back to a build you can at least theoretically die on. At least s/d thieves are easy to pass. Just keep moving in one direction while spamming some aoe since they have use infiltrator's return at some point to be effective.