Jormag Rising.

Niteraven.1372

I'm very much the opposite so far. Very much one of the weakest episodes I've played in the entire game and now the story is bugged (edit - fixed)~~ so I can't go further.~~

There was one surprise halfway through that made me laugh. Not sure in a good or bad way though...

More of the same from the team that can't support the name of the game. They need someone in there that actually knows what they're doing instead of just amateurs. If those are the ones that are creating the expansion, they can discount it down to €5 and it still won't be worth it. Shame how far this game has fallen because they got greedy.

@Fueki.4753 said:To me, This was pretty much the worst episode since the Lake Doric one in Season 3.It's very close to being tied for the worst episode with Lake Doric and Bitterfrost Frontier episodes.

Ah I really enjoyed Doric, but yeah Bitterfrost was very poor. This ranks worse than Kourna for me and that's an impressive achievement.

A dull map, a story which doesn't really do anything until the final scenes.

I haven't done the meta yet so maybe that saves things, but this half of the map is unbelieavbly low standard compared to what Anet have put out in the past. I mean it doesn't even feel like Anet designed this.

@zealex.9410 said:Will hold judgement for when the voice acting drops,lots of dialogue falls flat because text doesn capture the tone they try to go for.

This episode is def severely damaged by the lack of VA. There's a lot of battle chatter going on and a lot of emphasis which is lost in the text.

I don't really think this half episode delivery system is working. It's just highlighting the weak points of the LS/episodic style even more. Instead of learnign the lessons of rushing things and not focussing on delivering compelling story (like the said they would this season), this episode is all very rushed and once again the flaws pointed out concering utilising compelling villains and characters comes out once more.

I really enjoyed it. IBS has, so far, better far better map wise, and narrative wise, then LW4 was, and that was a large improvement over LWS1, 2, and 3 itself.

@"Randulf.7614" said:I don't really think this half episode delivery system is working. It's just highlighting the weak points of the LS/episodic style even more. Instead of learnign the lessons of rushing things and not focussing on delivering compelling story (like the said they would this season), this episode is all very rushed and once again the flaws pointed out concering utilising compelling villains and characters comes out once more.Ironic you say its rushed when I've seen so many people talk about how "slow" the story has been moving. The whole Bangar/Charr civil was story has been going on for nearly a year now, its the exact opposite of rushed.

So according to the rider, we are preparing to invade Jormag's icy citadel. "Knocking on her front door", as it were.

Since Jormag is the icy disaster dragon, could it be said that we are "assaulting Blizzard headquarters"? =)...I'll show myself out.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:I really enjoyed it. IBS has, so far, better far better map wise, and narrative wise, then LW4 was, and that was a large improvement over LWS1, 2, and 3 itself.

@"Randulf.7614" said:I don't really think this half episode delivery system is working. It's just highlighting the weak points of the LS/episodic style even more. Instead of learnign the lessons of rushing things and not focussing on delivering compelling story (like the said they would this season), this episode is all very rushed and once again the flaws pointed out concering utilising compelling villains and characters comes out once more.Ironic you say its rushed when I've seen so many people talk about how "slow" the story has been moving. The whole Bangar/Charr civil was story has been going on for nearly a year now, its the exact opposite of rushed.

I believe I said "this episode".

I've really been enjoying myself so far, as I have been since I came back from a hiatus I took shortly after HoT launched and shortly before (month?) Head of the Snake (if I named that right, S3E4, I think?). Yes, it's a bummer that the VA isn't there, and we all know why, and we adapt and move forward until we can get it back. Outside of that, I don't really get why some folks aren't happy with it.

Piddling my way around the map for map completion while I work on a 'now go kill some things' story step.

Now, maybe because I'm closing in on 30K, I'm excited about everything, but I was pretty happy before it dawned on me how close I was getting, so I'll say that's bunk.

Can't wait to do the meta. I'm sure it'll be fun like the first half of the map was.

Just finished story, it is, what? Just bad. Very disapointed like a kid of 7yo had free card to do whatever it wants with the characters.

! Seriously, Ryland that appear through a mist portal and boom Smodur shot? Killed because you realized you did it bad last episode? Because of decisions on what actor should stay? Then, just tp bangar and him everywhere, story finished, Tyria destroyed... What a waste like all your good characters.

There is only two things I'm happy with that release: gh decos and the look of Jormag. Story? Non sense diging even more the grave. Map? Ice. Masteries? /shrug Adventures? Animal simulator.

IBS is disapointing, only liked really grothmar, maybe because it was a respite without dragon.Also maybe it's a bug, but is is normal the icebrood water deals 0 damages? Maybe link the environmental effect to all of them if we stand on them... you re used the non coded lava assets from caledon? From all the maps of IBS, that one is a 4/20, even bjora which was meh considering events did a way far better job. I fly over the whole area in the north, it's silent and dead, only the snipers remind me it's "dangerous".Dunno, and

! Jormag popping.. "hello" "sigh to transform the two idiots into icebrood".! But god... Efram leading iron, smodur killed whereas he had a plan I would have followed....

The meta is okay, but i think it would have been better to make the other meta directly starts at second waypoint. Bad decision. (can imagine the meta ignored in 2 weeks) Also sad to not see the frost machine in story.

Have played the whole story. Did not like it at all. The quality seems really bad. Some parts in cut scenes did not seem to run smooth. The spirits bit, those adventures kinda refused to start (especially the one with the balls), the eagle was a very poor adventure (pressing 2 skills and thats it, while we have 2 flying mounts that have interesting flight activity...). For the events bit in story you could just play sitting duck to have 1 mob appear to kill (and if someone else already killed it an even longer waiting game). The spirit statues placing.... hard to see what animal is on the ground (can't imagine what happens if theres a lot of players flocked there or trolling with waystations/merchants and other interactibles). Story itself felt like all seperate bits and pieces scrambled together and not engaging (felt nothing for any character). The ending of the story is vague, suddenly you see a few seconds "epilogue" before ported (so the next we get is an expansion?). The map itself was meh. Can't imagine how bad it will feel for players without skyscale. Nobody bothered to do the meta on the map so most of the trailer, or even in the story they talked about (industrially making icebrood) is not seen in the story. And I can't blame anyone not doing the meta as we are burned out doing it after getting 5k commendations per mob type... And ofcourse the new achievement again says, 5k commendations per new mob type.... Most of the story also got no achievements at all tied to them. No voice acting, I take that for granted. It would spice up the story a bit but not enough to turn this episode around. Masteries seem not really interesting. Had zero use for that in story and getting them is tedious due to the amount of exp needed when there was nothing going on at the map (few sniper here and there and thats it).

If the game is going on this rate especially with an unplayable PoF + LWs4 (massive unplayable lags), and a living world story like this,... I am not sure many would be around for an expansion. For now it feels totally not worth it to get it. Ever since they added lot of mayor rng (hello khan ur etc), tedious costs (amalgamated draconic lodestones of no clue how to get those and the likes), regular materials being worthless so everything outside of that pool becomes even more expensive) and massive grinds and repetition (which is something else than the wanted replayability..) the game got worse with the day and it shows (guildies/friends only doing dailies tops or not logging at all, and even quitting the game....). No communication also doesn't help much (like no acknowledgement of lag issues and no ASAP fix while they do asap fix a crash when you talk to a black lion NPC... like really?)

Rotten episode.Really, worse than before... with uncooperations everywhere, and "playing cat"...The death of Smodur was neither hot nor cold, so it was no matter what, and no one cared...

Then we understand nothing: one blow the owl is alive, one blow it is no more: have had no revelation...Anyway, it sucked from start to finish.

So I noticed a strange thing... there was "epilogue" at the last instance, would it be over? Season 5 is over? If so, I am disappointed. And in addition, it would like to say that Jormag for Cantha... OMG...

Not sure why people are complaining about the story that much.

I like the twists for each character there at the end related to Jormag. I liked how there was a sudden shock moment half-way through that probably should have been expected considering the last episode, which is good.

I'm interested to see where we go from here, as always. Keeps lore enthusiasts like myself thinking about things.

I've only played the story so far, so the new meta is a bit unclear to me. Do we have to complete the No Quarter meta before we can start the Jormag Rising meta? If so, that's... not something I want to do. That will be a once and done thing for me. I'm done with that first meta. Please tell me this is not how this works.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:I've only played the story so far, so the new meta is a bit unclear to me. Do we have to complete the No Quarter meta before we can start the Jormag Rising meta? If so, that's... not something I want to do. That will be a once and done thing for me. I'm done with that first meta. Please tell me this is not how this works.

It is how it works I'm afraid.

@Randulf.7614 said:This episode is def severely damaged by the lack of VA. There's a lot of battle chatter going on and a lot of emphasis which is lost in the text.

I don't really think this half episode delivery system is working. It's just highlighting the weak points of the LS/episodic style even more. Instead of learnign the lessons of rushing things and not focussing on delivering compelling story (like the said they would this season), this episode is all very rushed and once again the flaws pointed out concering utilising compelling villains and characters comes out once more.

Idk if the new format is highlighting the weak points, for me personally it doesnt and i cant really see how it would. On the contrary, it somewhat improves the overall experience because the maps arent one and done like they used to and instead they get expanded and their relevant stories have more time to expand with them. Plus, the releases are faster and havent been anything like the atrocious cadense of se4.

The systemic issues at this point are a classic with anet and their story telling for lw (and even the expansions)

Bangar was done dirty like Lazarus was done dirty like balthazar was done dirty like Joko was done dirty (the only redeaming factor is that they killed him in his height so he didnt live long enough to become a bad villain and lets not even talk about smoldur.

This season continues, despite its diff aproach, the trend of anet not being able to succesfully tell a story in an episodic format because they cant really get the pace right (which is part of the reason i find their expansion stories superior btw).

As for their claims of a compeling story this season, was that implying they dont consider their earlier stories compeling? I thought they thought highly of all their work and simply set the precieved stardard for this one as well.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:This episode is def severely damaged by the lack of VA. There's a lot of battle chatter going on and a lot of emphasis which is lost in the text.

Idk if the new format is highlighting the weak points, for me personally it doesnt and i cant really see how it would. On the contrary, it somewhat improves the overall experience because the maps arent one and done like they used to and instead they get expanded and their relevant stories have more time to expand with them. Plus, the releases are faster and havent been anything like the atrocious cadense of se4.

The systemic issues at this point are a classic with anet and their story telling for lw (and even the expansions)

Bangar was done dirty like Lazarus was done dirty like balthazar was done dirty like Joko was done dirty (the only redeaming factor is that they killed him in his height so he didnt live long enough to become a bad villain and lets not even talk about smoldur.

This season continues, despite its diff aproach, the trend of anet not being able to succesfully tell a story in an episodic format because they cant really get the pace right (which is part of the reason i find their expansion stories superior btw).

As for their claims of a compeling story this season, was that implying they dont consider their earlier stories compeling? I thought they thought highly of all their work and simply set the precieved stardard for this one as well.

The weak points for me are that the LS episodic format constricts the story too much. The cadence, the format all dictate how much story they can tell and how much they end up leaving out rather than the story being allowed the time it needs to tell itself properly.Is the 2 half maps instead of one map actually delivering a more organic, better quality product? Or is it just the same (or even weaker) as before just split over two episodes instead of one and instead upsetting the natural flow of the story?

People will form their own answers to that, but for me, this Season so far just highlights the weakest parts of the living world instead of trying to improve on it.

I thought the episode was quite disappointing. The northern half of drizzlwood lacks the back and forth wvw style on the southern map. Feels so underused. Going through the frost citadel seemed to be just slightly bluer standard map assets. And not to forget the fight against the claw. Seriously? Drakkar was more of a challenge, and the multi staged fight was -FAR- by the better and engaging to play.

And the afterboss part. Just scattering treasure chests all over the northern map? Shoulda done something kin to the southern half, which seems to be nerfed. Frequently you will not find chests behind the keeper doors.

But I enjoyed the story twist. They had it comming.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:I've only played the story so far, so the new meta is a bit unclear to me. Do we have to complete the No Quarter meta before we can start the Jormag Rising meta? If so, that's... not something I want to do. That will be a once and done thing for me. I'm done with that first meta. Please tell me this is not how this works.

I am so sick of the first Drizzlewood Coast meta. This next one may be one and done for me too.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I am so sick of the first Drizzlewood Coast meta. This next one may be one and done for me too.

The first drizzlewood meta finishes a lot faster now.

@Randulf.7614 said:Is the 2 half maps instead of one map actually delivering a more organic, better quality product? Or is it just the same (or even weaker) as before just split over two episodes instead of one and instead upsetting the natural flow of the story?

People will form their own answers to that, but for me, this Season so far just highlights the weakest parts of the living world instead of trying to improve on it.

Tbf there isnt a natural flow to begin with because the episodic format upsets it enough as is. I dont view it as 2 half maps but i can see that opinion if we use as an example the bjora marches, drizzlewood part 1 and 2 are much better connected and it would create a dragon stand like feel if it wasnt for the honestly laughable scaling of the map and the final boss.

I am curious how the run time of a lw ep of se4 episode compaires with that of a se5 one (idk with regards to hearts how it would be fairly compaired). But no one single release will feel satisfyingly large enough both map/content and naratively wise unless they just increase the manpower and/or stick to a schedule.

I personally prefer the se5 aproach because in 4 to 5 months we (theoretically) get 2 episodes that are each larger than 1 half of a se4 episode thanks spliting them, giving the overall map and story more time to be developed.

I could also do with the se3/4 format if it had a set schedule and was more meaty than the se4 releases, but im more open to se5's design because it just gives them more time to work on each release while also keeping the w8 times bearable.

Its also worth mentioning that realistically the only reason to play gw2 and the only thing seeing udpates rn is lw which is inherently less replayable. Back in se3 (which had the se4 format) i could stand through the longer downtime and delays) because game was also getting some raids and alpt of fractal content.