Beginner's Guide to PvP

Vallun.2071

@"Vallun.2071" said:A while ago I made a video to help new players or PvErs get into PvP. Recently I updated the guide and made it text format.

https://guildjen.com/2020/07/25/beginners-guide-to-gw2-pvp/

Great guide. Kind of a silly question but how do you make fast turns without "Use either mouse button to change direction"? Only reason I don't use free camera is because character movement is slow and clumsy for me without that option checked.

@Majy.6792 said:

@"Vallun.2071" said:A while ago I made a video to help new players or PvErs get into PvP. Recently I updated the guide and made it text format.

Great guide. Kind of a silly question but how do you make fast turns without "Use either mouse button to change direction"? Only reason I don't use free camera is because character movement is slow and clumsy for me without that option checked.

That would probably be about face, which you use to automatically turn the other direction. This is very important for more precise movements like reaction based spell usage or kiting. It is also very important for the thief class which is heavily dodge based and let you use the “roll skills” in the direction you want without the risk of losing movement efficiency and all you need to use this is bind a key to the command.Free camera is actually better so that you can see what’s going on around you also, so I would recommend you experiment with it. You don’t have to take it until you fully figure out how to use it and also possibly when you get all you keybinds and settings under control

@Dantheman.3589 said:

That would probably be about face, which you use to automatically turn the other direction. This is very important for more precise movements like reaction based spell usage or kiting. It is also very important for the thief class which is heavily dodge based and let you use the “roll skills” in the direction you want without the risk of losing movement efficiency and all you need to use this is bind a key to the command.Free camera is actually better so that you can see what’s going on around you also, so I would recommend you experiment with it. You don’t have to take it until you fully figure out how to use it and also possibly when you get all you keybinds and settings under control

I'm talking more just turning in general. With the "use mouse button" setting I can make quick turns just by holding my mouse, but turns are very slow with that off and you can't use that and free camera. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but yea, with free camera on I can only make these big wide turns and it's hard to be precise with movement.

@Majy.6792 said:

I'm talking more just turning in general. With the "use mouse button" setting I can make quick turns just by holding my mouse, but turns are very slow with that off and you can't use that and free camera. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but yea, with free camera on I can only make these big wide turns and it's hard to be precise with movement.

O! well on my set up which, should be the same, you walk forward with W and A+D is the strafe. The reason you use strafe is becuz the only way to need to move is toward or away from the target and around the target- the reason for this is mostly speed, but it also has to do with how important kiting is imo- just go test on a golem u can walk in circles around targets ezily with strafe.

There’s a few situations where turning may help you land a hit but that is very infrequent and is an incredibly precise movement that u can just do with your mouse. For me left clicking the mouse pointer this shifts the camera, which is hugely important so I play with free cam and right clicking changes the camera and the focus of your character which causes them to move in that direction. That is how u change directions with free cam, so you need to be used to both left and right hand clicks.

Quick synopsis- u can move forward or back(unless u decided to eliminate backwards key bond) and side to side with wasd. Left mouse click changes camera direction and right changes character focus for changing directions. This is with free camera which allows you to move your camera when u want and be more free and efficient with movements since they are reliant only on reactions not the camera position