The story ruins Jormag rising(spoilers)

Tazer.2157

Once again not surprisingly the story is the weakest element in the episode and quite frankly spoils the entire episode. So well done. After you retconned and antagonized Smodur, you’ve killed him off in a similar manner. Also after building up Bangar, this bad ass of a Charr who has always been ahead of you, who has rallied troops to his side, who convinced Ryland to attack Almorra, you’ve collared him and put him in a cage. Just why? Please just go ahead and kill Bangar off because he clearly doesn’t not belong in this sad excuse for a story. Let him and Smodur be erased from memory and have a peaceful afterlife far away from this dreadful story. To Smodur and Bangar, two bad ass Charr who have been badly written. May you both Rest In Peace.

• Thanks 1

@Tazer.2157 said:Also after building up Bangar, this bad kitten of a Charr who has always been ahead of you, who has rallied troops to his side, who convinced Ryland to attack Almorra, you’ve collared him and put him in a cage. Just why?I really have to ask... what did you expect? Bangar was the clear badguy. He was either going to die, or get taken prisoner to face justice no matter what. This keeps him alive, and a useful part of the narrative going forward, rather then just having him vanish from here on. Its also a fitting irony that the charismatic Charr leader gets his voice stolen from him, to become a mouthpiece for an even greater threat.

I sometimes get the feeling that people on these forums think anything other then every character, good or bad, going out in some big epic heroic death scene= bad writing, when THAT idea is bad writing in itself.

Once the cage is broken/unlocked we'll hear more from Bangar personally. Jormag might even let Bangar speak freely for a little while, but most likely he'll end up being its vessel for smooth-talk persuading us in our ear or to Aurene. For now, corrupted Icebrood Ryland has become the more pressing antagonist short of Jormag itself waking up again.

Also, that was a befitting way to give consequences to Smodur's actions. He got what was coming to him from his murder in the previous episode. That ruthless pride and ego backfired on him, just as Bangar's has for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing more in the next episode or vision of the past. Not sure why a lot of people come here just to complain all the time.

I don't get why people in the forums freak out with negativity after every chapter release. The story follows the obvious trajectory that has been built up all along, and people act mad and surprised (or they invoke Squidward and go on a -this content is crap, everything A-net does is wrong, just as I expected- rant)

It's as if people have their own image of How Things Should Go, and get mad when the canon doesn't match their image. That, or they expect the story quality of a top-notch fantasy novel, which is silly.

As MMO's go, GW2's story is engaging and good quality.

@Weindrasi.3805 said:I don't get why people in the forums freak out with negativity after every chapter release. The story follows the obvious trajectory that has been built up all along, and people act mad and surprised (or they invoke Squidward and go on a -this content is kitten, everything A-net does is wrong, just as I expected- rant)

It's as if people have their own image of How Things Should Go, and get mad when the canon doesn't match their image. That, or they expect the story quality of a top-notch fantasy novel, which is silly.

As MMO's go, GW2's story is engaging and good quality.

Simply because many of us disagree that the story is engaging and good quality nor is it consistent between releases - there was clearly more time and effort put into ep3 than ep4 which failed to really explore much depth or utilise the map in a meaningful way.

Most people in the past have given pretty worthwhile feedback each episode point by point in where they see it went wrong and how they’d like it to improve. It’s not that many of us wish to be negative (and negativity/criticism is hugely important), but that we want to see the game realise the potential that it only seems to on rare occasions.

It is very Important people are allowed to express their disappointment as the above poster rightfully pointed out.

@Tazer.2157 said:Once again not surprisingly the story is the weakest element in the episode and quite frankly spoils the entire episode. So well done. After you retconned and antagonized Smodur, you’ve killed him off in a similar manner. Also after building up Bangar, this bad kitten of a Charr who has always been ahead of you, who has rallied troops to his side, who convinced Ryland to attack Almorra, you’ve collared him and put him in a cage. Just why? Please just go ahead and kill Bangar off because he clearly doesn’t not belong in this sad excuse for a story. Let him and Smodur be erased from memory and have a peaceful afterlife far away from this dreadful story. To Smodur and Bangar, two bad kitten Charr who have been badly written. May you both Rest In Peace.

I see nothing wrong with what happened to Bangar. The fool actually thought he could turn the Ice Elder Dragon into his personal pet. As if a being that has been around for at least 20.000 years (if not more) and has contributed to the genocide of countless races would all of a sudden submit itself to an egomaniac cat. Turning him into a mouthpiece after blatantly discarding him for Ryland was Jormag's way to remind everyone about who's boss. Bangar got what he deserved and he can only blame himself for that.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@Tazer.2157 said:Once again not surprisingly the story is the weakest element in the episode and quite frankly spoils the entire episode. So well done. After you retconned and antagonized Smodur, you’ve killed him off in a similar manner. Also after building up Bangar, this bad kitten of a Charr who has always been ahead of you, who has rallied troops to his side, who convinced Ryland to attack Almorra, you’ve collared him and put him in a cage. Just why? Please just go ahead and kill Bangar off because he clearly doesn’t not belong in this sad excuse for a story. Let him and Smodur be erased from memory and have a peaceful afterlife far away from this dreadful story. To Smodur and Bangar, two bad kitten Charr who have been badly written. May you both Rest In Peace.

I see nothing wrong with what happened to Bangar. The fool actually thought he could turn the Ice Elder Dragon into his personal pet. As if a being that has been around for at least 20.000 years (if not more) and has contributed to the genocide of countless races would all of a sudden submit itself to an egomaniac cat. Turning him into a mouthpiece after blatantly discarding him for Ryland was Jormag's way to remind everyone about who's boss. Bangar got what he deserved and he can only blame himself for that.

Except that Bangar has outsmarted the commander at every move. Bangar was the one the legions looked up to. Many Charr followed him through thick and thin. Jormag tells Ryland that he’s got elements of his mom and dad and that is one of the reasons for making him champion. Except that is complete nonsense because Bangar outsmarted both Rytlock and Crecia. At the beginning Bangar even has Crecia wrapped around his finger. So unless Jormag is looking for a weakling, we have a conflict from what was shown in earlier episodes. Ryland was clearly shown to be weaker and compliant to Bangar even sparring with Almorra and having no problems even after Bangar killed her. All now all of a sudden he goes against Bangar? There is good story telling and then there is story telling just for the shock element and this reminds me of the final season of game of thrones. Also to add more pain to injury they put Bangar in the eye of the north and there is also an achievement where you need to visit him for 10 days. No where has anything like this been done. A Charr chained, unable to talk, caged and humiliated for 10 days and on display for all to see. I wouldn’t wish that to my worst enemy. Even Garrosh in world of Warcraft got a better ending than this.

@"Tazer.2157" said:Except that Bangar has outsmarted the commander at every move.No he didn't. Bangar never outsmarted us, as we were never directly pitted against some plot of his. Bangar outsmarted the other Imperators, and Crecia, but thats something else entirely. In fact, the Commander has typically been the one to uncover Bangar's plans, when everyone else was still in the dark. Bangar just got away with it because he was already in the process of implementing said plan, as the Commander was never in a position to know about any plan until Bangar was already implementing it.. That's not outsmarting The Commander, thats just the Commander not being an all knowing god.

Bangar was the one the legions looked up to. Many Charr followed him through thick and thin.Generally, the Legions looked up to their own Imperator. Many of the people following Bangar didn't look up to him, they just agreed to his argument that the Charr were being treated by Aurene, and needed a way to even the odds. If the Charr looked up to anyone it was Ryland, who has been constantly touted as the one all the Charr look up to, hence why Bangar got Ryland as his right hand man.

Jormag tells Ryland that he’s got elements of his mom and dad and that is one of the reasons for making him champion. Except that is complete nonsense because Bangar outsmarted both Rytlock and Crecia. At the beginning Bangar even has Crecia wrapped around his finger. So unless Jormag is looking for a weakling, we have a conflict from what was shown in earlier episodes.Except Bangar was being manipulated by Jormag from the get go. Hence the corrupted idol in Bangar's office, and the boneskinner tracks outside Bangar's office. Bangar was just being used by Jormag. It was never so much Bangar's plan as it was Jormag's. Not to mention your argument doesn't make much sense. Bangar was able to manipulate Rytlock and Crecia individually, but that doesn't mean hes better then a person who has both of those character's traits.

Ryland was clearly shown to be weaker and compliant to Bangar even sparring with Almorra and having no problems even after Bangar killed her. All now all of a sudden he goes against Bangar?Now this is just completely false. Bangar was shown to be weaker then Ryland, as Almorra kicked Bangar's ass, and needed Ryland to beat Almorra for him. And Ryland totally had problem with Bangar killing Almorra, he even makes a big deal about it during the mission. Likewise, he clearly disagreed with Bangar's actions afterwards as he spent the time to bury Almorra, whereas Bangar was just going to leave her there to rot. Not to mention there is several dialogs in southern Drizzlewood with Charr talking about Ryland likely using Bangar for his own ends. Ryland going against Bangar was telegraphed like 4 months ago, and people have been speculating it would happen since.

Also to add more pain to injury they put Bangar in the eye of the north and there is also an achievement where you need to visit him for 10 days. No where has anything like this been done. A Charr chained, unable to talk, caged and humiliated for 10 days and on display for all to see. I wouldn’t wish that to my worst enemy. Even Garrosh in world of Warcraft got a better ending than this.A. Its actually not daily based, its seemingly weekly based. 8 weeks, which is two months, the timespan between major content releases. Also, hes able to speak, which is, you know, the point of the achievement, to talk to him.B. We see Charr in chains as prisoners in the Black Citadel and in some core area maps.C. Garrosh got a single lighting bolt to the face after a cheese, steriotypical "fight" cinematic. Bangar gets to stay around as a character, and gets to use his connection to Jormag to reveal interesting revelations about the beat. This is a far better ending then Garosh got, because Bangar is still around, and useful, while garrosh is a another dead villain of the week that no one cares about anymore.

Honestly, it just seems like you haven't payed attention to anything thats been happening, because everything you said is wrong.

@"zealex.9410" said:Smoldur got treated so badly this season, no respect for his character and all to kill him in one episode and even then the npcs act like nothing happened almost immediately.No one had TIME to act like anything happened. Everyone was neck deep in a battle to stop Bangar from awakening an Elder Dragon, a being with the power to destroy all life on the planet. They couldn't stop, and cry about, or give him a funeral, because doing so would let Bangar win.

Its really no different from Eir's death in HoT, she died in HoT, but we didn't get a "everyone is upset about it" story beat until the beginning of LWS3, because everyone was neck deep in trying to stop Mordremoth from killing everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of Smodur funeral bit in whatever "Visions of the Past" type release comes out in two months.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Smoldur got treated so badly this season, no respect for his character and all to kill him in one episode and even then the npcs act like nothing happened almost immediately.No one had TIME to act like anything happened. Everyone was neck deep in a battle to stop Bangar from awakening an Elder Dragon, a being with the power to destroy all life on the planet. They couldn't stop, and cry about, or give him a funeral, because doing so would let Bangar win.

Its really no different from Eir's death in HoT, she died in HoT, but we didn't get a "everyone is upset about it" story beat until the beginning of LWS3, because everyone was neck deep in trying to stop Mordremoth from killing everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of Smodur funeral bit in whatever "Visions of the Past" type release comes out in two months.

Eirs death atbleast had a cutscene dedicated to it to give it some weight.

Smoldur's death is literally the meme from reddit and i think it could be treated better.

@Okami Amaterasu.9237 said:

Also, that was a befitting way to give consequences to Smodur's actions. He got what was coming to him from his murder in the previous episode. That ruthless pride and ego backfired on him, just as Bangar's has for now.

That's my problem with it. He predictably paid for the ruthless pride and ego he didn't have until they shoehorned it into him. What a screw job that was. I want the Imperator of the Iron Legion to have a worthy funeral and not just be carried off screen like some, quite literally, used up plot device.

@zealex.9410 said:Eirs death atbleast had a cutscene dedicated to it to give it some weight.

Smoldur's death is literally the meme from reddit and i think it could be treated better.Eir's death cutscene also came at the end of a big chase scene with a giant monster, and was used to give even more impact to the events.

Smodur's death was meant to be quick, and unexpected. Having some big long cutscene where we see Ryland get into position, and take the shot, would defeat the purpose since everyone would know it was going to happen before it did.

different situations require different methods of execution.

@Harak.8397 said:

That's my problem with it. He predictably paid for the ruthless pride and ego he didn't have until they shoehorned it into him. What a screw job that was. I want the Imperator of the Iron Legion to have a worthy funeral and not just be carried off screen like some, quite literally, used up plot device.

Whilst I chuckled a little at the fact his body just vanished (not sure what else they could do though), I thnik we will get something for him and maybe as soon as next episode. We have hit a bit of an interlude where the mini arc leading up to Jormag's reawakening is done with, so we could see a funeral to kick off the next episode.

Or maybe a side story like we saw with Trahearne, where a statue is made of him in the Black Citadel that can only be viewed by those having completed the relevant story step. That would be rather fitting. War and ambition may have brought out his ruthless aggressive side, but his legacy is very much worthy of recognition by multiple races.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Tazer.2157" said:Except that Bangar has outsmarted the commander at every move.No he didn't. Bangar never outsmarted us, as we were never directly pitted against some plot of his. Bangar outsmarted the other Imperators, and Crecia, but thats something else entirely. In fact, the Commander has typically been the one to uncover Bangar's plans, when everyone else was still in the dark. Bangar just got away with it because he was already in the process of implementing said plan, as the Commander was never in a position to know about any plan until Bangar was already implementing it.. That's not outsmarting The Commander, thats just the Commander not being an all knowing god.

Oh really? How about Bangar tricking us and then using Ryland to take away the bow from Bram? How about Bangar almost killing us. How about Bangar using Ryland to piss Rytlock off. They entire season revolved around making Bangar the bad guy. They had to make him a big deal otherwise having a weak antagonist wouldn’t be fitting for the plot would it.

Bangar was the one the legions looked up to. Many Charr followed him through thick and thin.Generally, the Legions looked up to their own Imperator. Many of the people following Bangar didn't look up to him, they just agreed to his argument that the Charr were being treated by Aurene, and needed a way to even the odds. If the Charr looked up to anyone it was Ryland, who has been constantly touted as the one all the Charr look up to, hence why Bangar got Ryland as his right hand man.

That is your opinion. Most of blood legion followed Bangar and agreed with his views. They even covered themselves in Jormags blood and that it an indication of how far their loyalty went. The Charr looked up to Ryland? Ryland wasn’t even responsible for any of this. If Bangar wasn’t present, we would not even have got this episode. How on earth can you tell me that the Charr looked to to Ryland when it was Bangar’s plan and orders they were following. Even if you tell me the Charr looked up to Ryland, that just makes Bangar a letter more cunning leader.

Jormag tells Ryland that he’s got elements of his mom and dad and that is one of the reasons for making him champion. Except that is complete nonsense because Bangar outsmarted both Rytlock and Crecia. At the beginning Bangar even has Crecia wrapped around his finger. So unless Jormag is looking for a weakling, we have a conflict from what was shown in earlier episodes.Except Bangar was being manipulated by Jormag from the get go. Hence the corrupted idol in Bangar's office, and the boneskinner tracks outside Bangar's office. Bangar was just being used by Jormag. It was never so much Bangar's plan as it was Jormag's. Not to mention your argument doesn't make much sense. Bangar was able to manipulate Rytlock and Crecia individually, but that doesn't mean hes better then a person who has both of those character's traits.

So if Ryland was as powerful as you say why didn’t Jormag use him or influence him instead? Ryland being the one the Charr look up to clearly would be competent to give Jormag an army.

Ryland was clearly shown to be weaker and compliant to Bangar even sparring with Almorra and having no problems even after Bangar killed her. All now all of a sudden he goes against Bangar?Now this is just completely false. Bangar was shown to be weaker then Ryland, as Almorra kicked Bangar's kitten, and needed Ryland to beat Almorra for him. And Ryland totally had problem with Bangar killing Almorra, he even makes a big deal about it during the mission. Likewise, he clearly disagreed with Bangar's actions afterwards as he spent the time to bury Almorra, whereas Bangar was just going to leave her there to rot. Not to mention there is several dialogs in southern Drizzlewood with Charr talking about Ryland likely using Bangar for his own ends. Ryland going against Bangar was telegraphed like 4 months ago, and people have been speculating it would happen since.

Again in the instance we see Bangar giving Ryland orders to open this, do that and Ryland complies. Not a single word of opposition. The Almorra fight has to do with the gameplay more than the plot. They wanted the player to be the one that spars with Almorra a boss fight. Ryland might have buried Almorra but you don’t see him ever take his stand against Bangar. Bangar killed Almorra in front of him and what did Ryland do? Absolutely nothing. He just looked and later buried her. He even says that he is a soldier and a good soldier follows orders. You must remember that Bangar was Rylands mentor. He looks up to Bangar as he didn’t have anyone else to be inspired by. He didn’t have any conflict with Bangar at all. And why would there be any reason for conflict. Why would Ryland have a conflict with Bangar. Was any reason given? Were there disagreements? Give me a reason if you are going to defend this plot.

Also to add more pain to injury they put Bangar in the eye of the north and there is also an achievement where you need to visit him for 10 days. No where has anything like this been done. A Charr chained, unable to talk, caged and humiliated for 10 days and on display for all to see. I wouldn’t wish that to my worst enemy. Even Garrosh in world of Warcraft got a better ending than this.A. Its actually not daily based, its seemingly weekly based. 8 weeks, which is two months, the timespan between major content releases. Also, hes able to speak, which is, you know, the point of the achievement, to talk to him.B. We see Charr in chains as prisoners in the Black Citadel and in some core area maps.C. Garrosh got a single lighting bolt to the face after a cheese, steriotypical "fight" cinematic. Bangar gets to stay around as a character, and gets to use his connection to Jormag to reveal interesting revelations about the beat. This is a far better ending then Garosh got, because Bangar is still around, and useful, while garrosh is a another dead villain of the week that no one cares about anymore.

Bangar is still around? Where I don’t hear him, I don’t even see him. All I see is a husk. Death is better than living as a husk. Garrosh got the fight and even if it was badly done it is still better than what gw2 has done to Bangar. At least in wow everything made sense. Garrosh was recognized for his strength and his legacy in wow is still one of strength. What is Bangars legacy? A bonded Charr?

Honestly, it just seems like you haven't payed attention to anything thats been happening, because everything you said is wrong.

You can keep defending this bad story. Even if you go to the forums, you will see at the posts discussing Bangar as the antagonist. Not one even mentions Ryland because the story gave no indication that Ryland was ambitious. Ryland to many was an afterthought, a soldier following orders. Now all of a sudden out of nowhere he spars with Bangar when there has been no build up of tensions between the two of them at all? Come on I don’t know how you buy that. It’s cheap and it’s insulting.

I'm fine with Ryland killing Smodur, that charr had it coming after killing Cinder and I think its interesting the make Bangar the new Voice ( we will see how that plays out) but what I don't fully get is Ryland being turned into the champion so willingly? They just need to explain it a bit more so that I'm confidant about what exactly is going on. NOT huge sweeping mounds of expositions but please a few sentences- what I have to assume happened is the mental anguish of him becoming a fresh new gladia, his parents betraying him, watching his potential love mate being killed in front of him and Bangar's unstable leadership drove him to the arms of Jormag. That's perfectly fine. What not fine is me kind of sort of maybe assuming that's what's happening from all the action because the story isn't being presented clear enough.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Eirs death atbleast had a cutscene dedicated to it to give it some weight.

Smoldur's death is literally the meme from reddit and i think it could be treated better.Eir's death cutscene also came at the end of a big chase scene with a giant monster, and was used to give even more impact to the events.

Smodur's death was meant to be quick, and unexpected. Having some big long cutscene where we see Ryland get into position, and take the shot, would defeat the purpose since everyone would know it was going to happen before it did.

different situations require different methods of execution.

I liked the set up. It looked like it was going to be another moment where you gather facts and then decide on one of two options and the story diverges and then SPLAT!!! NOPE!!! lol unexpected.

The whole thing is cringe, but the worst of it all was what they did to Smodur. He's the only one behaving like Charr and people call him an a-hole.Remember, people - Charr have a militaristic culture based on Roman and Mongol societies. Heck, they treat Gladium as 2nd-class citizens, ditch their elderly and have little to no respect for the injured who can't serve. They're all a-holes from an outsider's point of view.

And I thought it couldn't get anymore lore-breaking than that Lazarus is Balthazar season where Charr Pact Commanders have to take the Shining Blade oath.What's next? Sylvari reproducing? Asura having a pantheon of gods?

@"Tazer.2157" said:The whole thing with Rytlock needing Crecia to melt the ice was cringe. Then we have Crecia always telling Rytlock what to do and how to behave. We have them making the female Charr the more level headed leaders. Malice and Crecia and now another female Charr as the the leader of Iron. We have the introduction of Ember, another female Charr. The males like Smodur are dead, Bangar chained, Rytlock for lack of a better word creciasplained, Ryland corrupted. Even Efram has been subdued by the female leaders as Smodur tells him in the last episode that he has lost his backbone.Its cringe that Elder Dragon ice requires more powerful fire magic to melt? Its wrong that people know that Rytlock has always acted rather bluntly?

As for Crecia and Maclie, both of them have been shown to have flaws. Malice's attempts to prepare against Bangar have failed(hence Smodur getting killed), andCrecia's indecisiveness between wanting to save her son, and protect the Charr, is why negotiations between Ryland and the Legions broke down. Lets not forget the main "badguy"is Jormag, who is generally referred to as female now. Yeah man, its femenist to have a female be the main villain, and to show that female characters are just as flawed as the male ones.

I swear, some people are hellbent in trying to find conspiracies where there are none.

@borgs.6103 said:The whole thing is cringe, but the worst of it all was what they did to Smodur. He's the only one behaving like Charr and people call him an kitten.Remember, people - Charr have a militaristic culture based on Roman and Mongol societies. Heck, they treat Gladium as 2nd-class citizens, ditch their elderly and have little to no respect for the injured who can't serve. They're all a-holes from an outsider's point of view.

And I thought it couldn't get anymore lore-breaking than that Lazarus is Balthazar season where Charr Pact Commanders have to take the Shining Blade oath.What's next? Sylvari reproducing? Asura having a pantheon of gods?

when youre trying to set up an alliance with different races/cultures it would be smart to at least PRETEND to be a nice guy.this is either 100% kitten or 100% moron, certainly not a leader to follow

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Tazer.2157" said:The whole thing with Rytlock needing Crecia to melt the ice was cringe. Then we have Crecia always telling Rytlock what to do and how to behave. We have them making the female Charr the more level headed leaders. Malice and Crecia and now another female Charr as the the leader of Iron. We have the introduction of Ember, another female Charr. The males like Smodur are dead, Bangar chained, Rytlock for lack of a better word creciasplained, Ryland corrupted. Even Efram has been subdued by the female leaders as Smodur tells him in the last episode that he has lost his backbone.Its cringe that Elder Dragon ice requires more powerful fire magic to melt? Its wrong that people know that Rytlock has always acted rather bluntly?

As for Crecia and Maclie, both of them have been shown to have flaws. Malice's attempts to prepare against Bangar have failed(hence Smodur getting killed), andCrecia's indecisiveness between wanting to save her son, and protect the Charr, is why negotiations between Ryland and the Legions broke down. Lets not forget the main "badguy"is Jormag, who is generally referred to as female now. Yeah man, its femenist to have a female be the main villain, and to show that female characters are just as flawed as the male ones.

I swear, some people are hellbent in trying to find conspiracies where there are none.

Yes it is cringe because Crecia is the one who tells Rytlock the time to use his own weapon. Give me a break! The story makes Rytlock seem like an incompetent fool. Crecia should stop creciasplaining. She’s the worst character ever created in game.

Smodur was ridiculously antagonized. The commander has lines that disagree with Smodur. The commander never disagrees with either Malice or Crecia.

If Jormag is a female, then this is truly a story of a strong female character dominating males or two males in this case. Thank you for proving my point.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@borgs.6103 said:The whole thing is cringe, but the worst of it all was what they did to Smodur. He's the only one behaving like Charr and people call him an kitten.Remember, people - Charr have a militaristic culture based on Roman and Mongol societies. Heck, they treat Gladium as 2nd-class citizens, ditch their elderly and have little to no respect for the injured who can't serve. They're all a-holes from an outsider's point of view.

when youre trying to set up an alliance with different races/cultures it would be smart to at least PRETEND to be a nice guy.this is either 100% kitten or 100% moron, certainly not a leader to followSmodur
was
nice. Even more so to humans. He was the reason the Ebonhawke Treaty happened. He was amicable and probably neutral at best with the other races, given that Black Citadel - Iron Legion's homebase, has a space for non-Charr races to live on. Probably even treated better than their Gladium. Compare that to Phlunt's way of running Rata Sum where if one is not an Asura, they are treated differently and more often than not, for the worse. Then there was also The World Summit that happened in LS2. He was very well established as a pragmatic Charr Imperator.

His diplomacy with other races doesn't necessarily have to be the same with his legion. There is no UN with a Geneva Convention in Tyria.