Warrior Balance Requests Omnibus

Lan Deathrider.5910

Offhand sword needs help as you noted. Defy Pain / Last Stand need their promised changes.

Berserker (in general): a way to end Berserk manually, at a cost (for example lose all adrenaline) if it is to be remotely viable in PvP. Right now you can basically ignore berserkers and then full burst them when they're red tinged (berserk mode).

Flames of War (Torch 5): add always removes chill

"Fear Me!" : it's hard to recommend using this skill when the cooldown is double bull's charge , stomp, or kick. A reduction to 40-45 seconds would allow Vigorous Shouts to make it more competitive.

(spellbreaker) Sight Beyond Sight: does anyone use this? An ammo reduction to 10-12s might be a step towards use but it is basically a niche skill vs blindness and stealth gyro / veil.

Nothing for hammer? :(

I guess you're focused more on PvP than WvW but unless you want warriors to be a support class blowing warhorns and using hammer for CC only , hammer needs some damage back on its weapon skills (maybe not the burst). I suspect Flurry roots you since it immobs unlike Flaming Flurry.

Unless there's a way to remove banners from an opposing team it can be a potentially dangerous change to the game (i.e. breakbar).

@"Infusion.7149" said:Offhand sword needs help as you noted. Defy Pain / Last Stand need their promised changes.DP and LS seem to be in placeholder/temporarily deleted purgatory. The changes listed above may help them though.Berserker (in general): a way to end Berserk manually, at a cost (for example lose all adrenaline) if it is to be remotely viable in PvP. Right now you can basically ignore berserkers and then full burst them when they're red tinged (berserk mode).Lots of people have suggested this and I've yet to see a good reason to not include it.Flames of War (Torch 5): add always removes chillCertainly seems thematic right? Covering yourself in fire should remove chill. Should this reduce the number of total condi removed though?"Fear Me!" : it's hard to recommend using this skill when the cooldown is double bull's charge , stomp, or kick. A reduction to 40-45 seconds would allow Vigorous Shouts to make it more competitive.I see no problem with such a change. It is a little used skill as it is. do you have any other reasoning other than it stinks as is?(spellbreaker) Sight Beyond Sight: does anyone use this? An ammo reduction to 10-12s might be a step towards use but it is basically a niche skill vs blindness and stealth gyro / veil.That is its niche though. A range increase on the reveal may be the way to go to make it less of a niche skill.Nothing for hammer? :(I'm withholding my thoughts so that others can contribute, feel free to make suggestions.I guess you're focused more on PvP than WvW but unless you want warriors to be a support class blowing warhorns and using hammer for CC only , hammer needs some damage back on its weapon skills (maybe not the burst). I suspect Flurry roots you since it immobs unlike Flaming Flurry.My focus is on WvW, as I said I'm withholding a lot of my own ideas so that the whole community can come together on this rather than it coming off as my own personal wishlist. Feel free to suggest some hammer changes.

If each strike of Flurry applied immob then the self root may be fine, but that is not how it works, and given how obnoxious Immob Druids are I don't think we want to go down that path. That and being able to move out of red circles that form at your feet during the channel would help it greatly.

Unless there's a way to remove banners from an opposing team it can be a potentially dangerous change to the game (i.e. breakbar).No more dangerous that the give +100 XYZ stat to nearby allies traits that several classes have. A way to balance it would be to make it so that they cannot be perma maintained. 60s duration on a 70-90s CD (PvE/Comp) with Battle Standard keeping its current values?

I think always removing chill would be fair for Flames of War. There's quite a lot of chill from grenades/mortar kit , power revenants and condi revs alike, necros, plus aura tempests. Given the state of berserker spec, it could be applied to all modes.

Fear Me change would allow for more viable shouts on a tactics warrior. It would actually be a consideration rather than just overlooked for another hard CC (despite it being ranged). If people manage to get the multi target to add value , more power to them. It probably won't get changed for PvP , but in WvW if people have stability all you did was shave off one stack even if it is unblockable.

The thing with Sight Beyond Sight is it can't even deal with blindness from engineer flashbang let alone the bomb /grenade/mortar , guardian GS #3 (leap of faith) or sword 2 (symbol of blades), Illusionary counter's Counterspell flip skill on mesmers, or blinding ashes / staff's lightning surge from elementalist. So ultimately it is going to be a reveal skill first and foremost.

Hammer could probably add auto-attack level damage (0.8?) to Staggering Blow in WvW vs weakened targets since you can't follow up if they don't have stability , unlike with backbreaker/earthshaker. This probably won't happen because it's a PBAOE hard CC.

Could also increase hammer shock damage to a more reasonable level (instead of 0.7, maybe 1.0 or 1.1) as it only cripples, but since it's a ranged cone attack maybe it isn't the ideal place to put damage.

Add back base damage on fierce blow in WvW , 0.9 scaling instead of 0.77 base and keep 1.82 vs controlled (which is different than soft CC). It only functions to damage and apply weakness , which is highly likely to be cleansed or just ended due to 2s duration.

I fully expect damage won't be added to hammer for PvP since weakness makes glancing blows (plural) so if two people are hitting each other the one with weakness application will sustain better (see daredevils).

I'm not sure on how to balance banners for WvW, if you make them as strong as in PvE people will just run one or two banner per ten people. A CC bar check similar to dragon banner/centaur banner might help for this.

Hammer needs some utility to it, its currently a weapon which gives the user no sustain. Yes it has it's CC, however you can not use it to avoid inbound attacks.

Hammer 4, rather than being a PBAOE, this should become an evasive side step and then a knockback (like the rangers sword). The knockback should effect all targets within 150 range of the attack in the forwards direction after the side step dodge. If this skill interupts the target, the target is then slowed for 3 seconds.

An animation used should show the top of the hammer being slammed into the target, as if aiming to wind the target.

This would allow the hammer to do its CC and allow a level of sustain through evasion/counterplay.

@Smoosh.2718 said:Hammer needs some utility to it, its currently a weapon which gives the user no sustain. Yes it has it's CC, however you can not use it to avoid inbound attacks.

Hammer 4, rather than being a PBAOE, this should become an evasive side step and then a knockback (like the rangers sword). The knockback should effect all targets within 150 range of the attack in the forwards direction after the side step dodge. If this skill interupts the target, the target is then slowed for 3 seconds.

An animation used should show the top of the hammer being slammed into the target, as if aiming to wind the target.

This would allow the hammer to do its CC and allow a level of sustain through evasion/counterplay.

Is Staggering Blow the place for that though? Why not on Earthshaker? Come to think of it none of the core bursts have inherent sustain built into them. What are your thoughts on that?

also to that CMC statment "Warrior is pretty close to the ideal power level".

TRUE that warrior is very close to be PLAYABLE in normal ranked.FALSE that warrior is still too far away from being one of the meta pick to be competing in tournaments.They already nerfed so many classes and builds for 5 months straight yet warrior is still trash, all the buffs to offhand sword/mace remain pointlessat least two more meta without warrior to go before they finally reach warrior level in about 2021

@"felix.2386" said:also to that CMC statment "Warrior is pretty close to the ideal power level".On paper he may be right, but in reality there are long running issues in the class, badly executed traits, outdated weapons, and clunky animations that keep this from being true, which is the entire purpose of this thread. To collect a repository of these issues, discuss and debate them amongst ourselves, and then share it in the threads CMC actually reads.TRUE that warrior is very close to be PLAYABLE in normal ranked.FALSE that warrior is still too far away from being one of the meta pick to be competing in tournaments.They already nerfed so many classes and builds for 5 months straight yet warrior is still trash, all the buffs to offhand sword/mace remain pointlessat least two more meta without warrior to go before they finally reach warrior level in about 2021Their recent 'buffs' did miss the mark, which again the purpose of this thread is to collect appropriate ideas of what can and should be buffed so that Warrior is close to the ideal power level in practice. True there are things about other classes that NEED to be nerfed and some things that need tweaking/buffing, but I'd rather put Warrior directly into the place it needs to be, not just on paper but in execution, than to bring other classes down.

Like sword was supposed to be the alternative of shield with half the cooldown.but in the end, it is too unreliable. the counter attack and sword 4's damage doesnt make up for the unreliable blocks.and the amount of endurance you gain from block canceling is insignificant

and tbh all of the offhand are too similar..not even a single movement skills yet has the most off hand in the entire class rosteri've swapped with OH axe/mace/sword..they all play pretty much the same...all of them are stationary melee range damage dealers..with very minor tweet..i'm sure same goes for OH dagger which is just a inferior version of axe.

tho i think warrior is pretty much playable with minor MMR buff...but we would like to see more play style...we would like to see skill changes...and spellbreaker is still the only warrior spec that has a chance in the high end and berserker is still completely trash because starting from traits berserker is already bad..too passive, too limited..

@felix.2386 said:Like sword was supposed to be the alternative of shield with half the cooldown.but in the end, it is too unreliable. the counter attack and sword 4's damage doesnt make up for the unreliable blocks.and the amount of endurance you gain from block canceling is insignificantTrue story.and tbh all of the offhand are too similar..not even a single movement skills yet has the most off hand in the entire class rosteri've swapped with OH axe/mace/sword..they all play pretty much the same...all of them are stationary melee range damage dealers..with very minor tweet..i'm sure same goes for OH dagger which is just a inferior version of axe.Feel free to make suggestions.tho i think warrior is pretty much playable with minor MMR buff...but we would like to see more play style...we would like to see skill changes...I think MMR should be at 90 hp per might personally. They over nerfed it when they nerfed sustain across the board.and spellbreaker is still the only warrior spec that has a chance in the high end and berserker is still completely trash because starting from traits berserker is already bad..too passive, too limited..Again, feel free to contribute what you think would make Berserker better.

I would make suggestion for berserker, but berserker from the ground up it's just bad..from the mechanics to traits to utility...there's nothing worth using in the entire sets...none of those utilities are worth using by themselves...even in pve it's used to increase berserker duration only...so people can do more damage with all the passive damage buff from berserker traits..and the entire trait lines are all too passive, there's 0 thought for pvp..it's just a lazy pve spec..

and for off hands..it's easy just add like a ranger dagger evade movement to sword or somethinglike give rip the evade movement with 200 range or something..your sword 4 has to land in order to trigger the evade skill..mace 5 needs to be AoE thats not projectile.

and offhand dagger is just sad, axe 4 does more damage then dagger 4 without condition, and dagger 4 without triggering condition does less then a mobility skill..and axe 5 does double the damage of dagger 5 PER HIT with less cooldown..only without projectil reflect which is kinda meh tbh...just delete dagger 5 and give something like mobility, like a backward evade like on rifle 4 but without cast time...dagger 4 needs to be like revenant sword 2.

really anything goes there are plenty of things they can do with offhand, the only thing stopping anet is their limitation for warrior..

ALSO Heightened Focus, 2 seconds of quickness with 15 second that only proc when you hit 50% hp below enemy...really?..cooldown needs to be 10 second and quickness needs to be 3 second+

look at sun and moon style, 2 seconds of quickness when you interrupt enemy with 5 second cooldown...like come on..

I just don't want any self root on warrior skill/burst I mean I don't think any other class has self root (so far I know, feel free to correct me) skill why warrior gotta have it? Banner changes are nice too.

Edit, I forgot to mention.GreatswordHundred Blades : remove self root, reduce cast time or rework it.

MaceIncrease speed for autoattackTremor: I'd rather tremor have a cone AoE like hammer 3 but that's up to dev again.

@DKRathalos.9625 said:I just don't want any self root on warrior skill/burst I mean I don't think any other class has self root (so far I know, feel free to correct me) skill why warrior gotta have it? Banner changes are nice too.

Edit, I forgot to mention.GreatswordHundred Blades : remove self root, reduce cast time or rework it.I was waiting for someone else to bring this up ty. Here I think that They'd probably have to rework the entire animation to unroot it, which may or may not be too heavy of a lift. If they simply cannot remove the self root due to programming issues/lack of engineering resources then I think reducing the channel time to 2.5s would be sufficient. If you cant get that last hit in, you where better off auto attacking, so as is right not the skill is too high risk for too little reward. At least reducing the channel time gives more of a chance to get that last hit in to make the skill worth using. What do you think?MaceIncrease speed for autoattackHmmm... Its more of the last hit that is still slow right? Or do you mean all of it?Tremor: I'd rather tremor have a cone AoE like hammer 3 but that's up to dev again.What about the cascading field mentioned above? That would keep the current animation in place, just change the implementation of it.

@DKRathalos.9625 said:I just don't want any self root on warrior skill/burst I mean I don't think any other class has self root (so far I know, feel free to correct me) skill why warrior gotta have it?

Other classes do self root as well, however they have defences attached to them, like distortion, evade or reflect.I would like to include the ele's fire 5 skill... however they can use a teleport to take them out of harms way while in mid cast.

Warrior is too static in a highly mobile meta.

Each weapon needs a utility.

Sword 5, change this to a flip skill, block an attack gain access to a leap attack.Mace 5, change this to cone AOE ( as has been mentioned before) multiple target knockdown. no longer a projectile.Dagger 5, change this to provide a boon rip.Mace f1, provide leap like the berzerker skill. The current Mace F1 will not work with the current meta.Rifle, change to shotgun. a mid range AOE weapon designed to do higher damage the closer the target is. ( it makes no sense that we have two ranged weapons currently that almost do the same thing. Yes you can argue that the bow is condi and the rifle is power. However the rifle is too clunky and very boring to actually use.Hammer 4, change this to become an evasion CC (as i have stated above).Warhorn 4, change this skill to provide superspeed.Warhorn 5, change this skill to also provide protection.

Numbers alone will not balance the boards. Actual redesigns of some of the weapons / skills will need to be done to both make the play more fluidly and provide something useful to the scene.

Aftercasts... Why are they still a thing? If you run Sword and Dagger, try to press 4 then 3, then watch the huge delay you get most of the time before skill activation. I have had these skills fail me in WvW which would have got a kill but instead it let the other player simply walk out of range due a skill delay. Axe on the other hand is a very smooth weapon, the skills roll into the next without this painful pre/aftercast which both dagger offhand and Sword mainhand suffer from. I would love to comment on Mace offhand... However number tweaks alone will not make this a viable weapon.

• Thanks 1

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I was waiting for someone else to bring this up ty. Here I think that They'd probably have to rework the entire animation to unroot it, which may or may not be too heavy of a lift. If they simply cannot remove the self root due to programming issues/lack of engineering resources then I think reducing the channel time to 2.5s would be sufficient. If you cant get that last hit in, you where better off auto attacking, so as is right not the skill is too high risk for too little reward. At least reducing the channel time gives more of a chance to get that last hit in to make the skill worth using. What do you think?If the self root too complicated to be removed then yeah make it reduce channel time, it's crazy slow and people also complained they can revive people through hundred blades, it's supposed to be the super hard hitting move from GS.

Hmmm... Its more of the last hit that is still slow right? Or do you mean all of it?I mean the autoattack chain.

What about the cascading field mentioned above? That would keep the current animation in place, just change the implementation of it.Cascading field as in like CoR? hmmm I prefer kind of instant like hammer 3, so when we go to melee just aim the cone and we will be good. I mean with the current setting of wvw it's not like CC deals damage anyway so at least give it easy way to apply.

@Smoosh.2718 said:Other classes do self root as well, however they have defences attached to them, like distortion, evade or reflect.I would like to include the ele's fire 5 skill... however they can use a teleport to take them out of harms way while in mid cast.OH yeah Smoosh you are correct, Mesmer Sword 2 is also self root but evade for the entire duration, good mention!

Rifle, change to shotgun. a mid range AOE weapon designed to do higher damage the closer the target is. ( it makes no sense that we have two ranged weapons currently that almost do the same thing. Yes you can argue that the bow is condi and the rifle is power. However the rifle is too clunky and very boring to actually use.Hmmmm not really using rifle too much so I kind of neutral here but I agree with rifle kind of boring.

Warhorn 4, change this skill to provide superspeed.Warhorn 5, change this skill to also provide protection.Warhorn 4 superspeed? it's nice but remove swiftness from it? since those 2 overlap maybe not good.Warhorn 5, I'd rather it provide stability like 2-3 stacks than protection. Warrior could use something to give stability aoe, what do you think?

@Acyk.9671 said:I would like for Anet to bring back non crit damage on CC skills. There is too much of a split between damage weapons and cc weapons now which affects builds and gears in a binary way in WvW: minstrel or marauder.Do you think via a trait, like Pulminary Impact or possibly by reworking Body Blow?Also reduce the trade off (fatal frenzy) on berserker in competitive game modes, -300 toughness alone makes berserker nonviable and +300 power/condi is not really needed. +/-150 should be enough.

Adding few stats in PvE/WvW from PvP amulets would also improve warrior's build diversity.

Fatal Frenzy's toughness hit is stiff considering we lost core F1s as well. EITHER would have been enough of a tradeoff.I vote to just begone with the toughness penalty.

I also suggest changing Burst of Aggression so that the quickness and super speed are refreshed when you hit with a Primal Burst.

These two changes would go a long way in helping Berserker, but am not sure what else it may need.

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I was waiting for someone else to bring this up ty. Here I think that They'd probably have to rework the entire animation to unroot it, which may or may not be too heavy of a lift. If they simply cannot remove the self root due to programming issues/lack of engineering resources then I think reducing the channel time to 2.5s would be sufficient. If you cant get that last hit in, you where better off auto attacking, so as is right not the skill is too high risk for too little reward. At least reducing the channel time gives more of a chance to get that last hit in to make the skill worth using. What do you think?If the self root too complicated to be removed then yeah make it reduce channel time, it's crazy slow and people also complained they can revive people through hundred blades, it's supposed to be the super hard hitting move from GS.Yeah, my preference would be for the self root to be gone, but I highly suspect that the animation is holding that back. A 2.5s channel time or a flipover skill that executes the final strike early along with some other benefit would work as well.

Hmmm... Its more of the last hit that is still slow right? Or do you mean all of it?I mean the autoattack chain.Hmm.. The whole things takes 2.9s considering aftercasts. That really is too slow for a one handed weapon, the Hammer AA chain is faster! What about 0.5s/-/0.5s? With aftercasts it should be similar to the sword AA chain in speed.What about the cascading field mentioned above? That would keep the current animation in place, just change the implementation of it.Cascading field as in like CoR? hmmm I prefer kind of instant like hammer 3, so when we go to melee just aim the cone and we will be good. I mean with the current setting of wvw it's not like CC deals damage anyway so at least give it easy way to apply.Alright, several people have mentioned a cone instead, something like 600 range like Hammer Shock? That is a reduction in half the range. Why not 900?@Smoosh.2718 said:Other classes do self root as well, however they have defences attached to them, like distortion, evade or reflect.I would like to include the ele's fire 5 skill... however they can use a teleport to take them out of harms way while in mid cast.OH yeah Smoosh you are correct, Mesmer Sword 2 is also self root but evade for the entire duration, good mention!We could blow Endure Pain during the channel, but thinks like Mesmer Sword 2 have the built in sustain. Just more justification to rework 100B.Rifle, change to shotgun. a mid range AOE weapon designed to do higher damage the closer the target is. ( it makes no sense that we have two ranged weapons currently that almost do the same thing. Yes you can argue that the bow is condi and the rifle is power. However the rifle is too clunky and very boring to actually use.Hmmmm not really using rifle too much so I kind of neutral here but I agree with rifle kind of boring.I'm not really for a shotgun approach myself, personally I think AA, Rifle 2, and Rifle 4 need a ~20-25% dps boost and for rifle 4 to evade prior to the shot. That and since they JUST reworked rifle I don't think they would turn it into a shotgun at this point.Warhorn 4, change this skill to provide superspeed.Warhorn 5, change this skill to also provide protection.Warhorn 4 superspeed? it's nice but remove swiftness from it? since those 2 overlap maybe not good.Warhorn 5, I'd rather it provide stability like 2-3 stacks than protection. Warrior could use something to give stability aoe, what do you think?I don't think Warhorn needs more buffing at this point. I'd rather Roaring Reveille have given different boons than what they gave.

@Acyk.9671 said:

@Acyk.9671 said:I would like for Anet to bring back non crit damage on CC skills. There is too much of a split between damage weapons and cc weapons now which affects builds and gears in a binary way in WvW: minstrel or marauder.Do you think via a trait, like Pulminary Impact or possibly by reworking Body Blow?

If you add that to traits you are even more enforcing a playstyle on you character, E specs and trade offs already do that to an extreme. And this affects every classes, not just warrior.But if you were to reintroduce blank damage through traits, Body Blow or weapon's traits like Merciless hammer and Sundering Mace would be the solution. Especially since those traits are never played. Merciless hammer is even more useless now... Maces need a rework though.Well this is up to Anet owning up to no damage CCs being a mistake. I think we'd have more success getting additional effects via traits than getting straight damage back.

Also reduce the trade off (fatal frenzy) on berserker in competitive game modes, -300 toughness alone makes berserker nonviable and +300 power/condi is not really needed. +/-150 should be enough.

Adding few stats in PvE/WvW from PvP amulets would also improve warrior's build diversity.

Fatal Frenzy's toughness hit is stiff considering we lost core F1s as well. EITHER would have been enough of a tradeoff.I vote to just begone with the toughness penalty.

I also suggest changing Burst of Aggression so that the quickness and super speed are refreshed when you hit with a Primal Burst.

These two changes would go a long way in helping Berserker, but am not sure what else it may need.

Honestly, i don't think berserker needs much more. Anet made it too much of a glass canon imo to make it competitive. It already does a fair amount of damage, it is just crippled by a lack of self sustain.Well removing the toughness penalty would help its sustain and might actually make it more viable don't you think?

Berserker's primary problem is that it lacks might generation, which makes it so it can't be played with MMR which is crucial for damage/sustain being dps warrior in pvp.picking defense heavily limits berserker's damage potential as berserker doesnt do enough power damage to begin with..

and that spellbreaker with strength actually out sustain berserker with defense is also quiet funny..

there's really nothing going on for berserker that's suited for competitive pvp..core war is only slightly better.as long as berserker can't self cancel berserk, it will not be competitively played unless extremely overbuffed

i suggest remove primal burst cooldown all together like axe and make berserk mode consume adrenaline overtime with 8 second cooldown going out of berserk mode.and then can make traits based on adrenaline level or pulse might during berserk mode or w/e

also spellbreaker's primary problem is that, any weapon that has damage scaling with adrenaline tiers doesnt work with spellbreaker, only greatsword and daggerbecause these two doesnt have scaling problem and that tier 1 does decent damage.

killshot on spellbreaker does the 1.5k non crit on heavy golem...that's the same as shrapnel grenade does 1.5k non crit on heavy golem..that's how bad it is.literally all f1 tier 1 burst skill except dagger and greatsword are not worth using, thus not worth using with spellbreaker

@felix.2386 said:Berserker's primary problem is that it lacks might generation, which makes it so it can't be played with MMR which is crucial for damage/sustain being dps warrior in pvp.picking defense heavily limits berserker's damage potential as berserker doesnt do enough power damage to begin with..Well it does have might generation via Eternal Champion, but you cant take that and get more damage.and that spellbreaker with strength actually out sustain berserker with defense is also quiet funny..That's more to Defense being bad now though, Strength still fuels a large amount of might generation.there's really nothing going on for berserker that's suited for competitive pvp..core war is only slightly better.as long as berserker can't self cancel berserk, it will not be competitively played unless extremely overbuffedAgain, self cancel is one of the main change requests for the spec.i suggest remove primal burst cooldown all together like axe and make berserk mode consume adrenaline overtime with 8 second cooldown going out of berserk mode.and then can make traits based on adrenaline level or pulse might during berserk mode or w/eYou'd then have MemeFlane and MemeDivider being spammed continuously, which would not be a good thing. Perhaps make Primal Bursts not consume adrenaline bars at all, but instead just have their CD. Adrenaline decays by 1 strike per second , you begin with 30 Strikes, Smash Brawler adds 5 points to the total and all the rage skills that add in duration instead add that many strikes of adrenaline, in or out of BMode. Have a F2 to exit early, but consume all Adrenaline to do so.

@felix.2386 said:also spellbreaker's primary problem is that, any weapon that has damage scaling with adrenaline tiers doesnt work with spellbreaker, only greatsword and daggerbecause these two doesnt have scaling problem and that tier 1 does decent damage.

killshot on spellbreaker does the 1.5k non crit on heavy golem...that's the same as shrapnel grenade does 1.5k non crit on heavy golem..that's how bad it is.literally all f1 tier 1 burst skill except dagger and greatsword are not worth using, thus not worth using with spellbreakerWell, that is the drawback of the e-spec. Anet won't change that one. As opposed to Berserker which has several very stiff drawbacks to it.