My DPS is really low on Golem. I need help and i can't find any answers

Hey guys so I'm new to this game (about a week in) and I have a level 80 Power Tempest with the Snowcrows build except everything is exotic instead. A person i was raiding with showed me the golem (avg size, 4 mil health) and said to do my rotation and so far the best I've gotten is a consistent 14k DPS. This is with all boons, Banner of Strength, Banner of Discipline, Assassin's Presence, and Spotter.

I know for a fact that my rotation is still pretty rough around the edges, but I understand why the ability cast order is the way it is. It's really frustrating to see this because i'll run in with more refinement and only see a 100-300 increase in dps but now it's plateau'd.

Also this is my first MMO ever, are there like, casting tips or techs that i don't know about but are essential to learn? any help is appreciated

First of all you need to upload an arcdps log so we can see what you are doing wrong.

1. Did you use all conditions on the golem? Missing 25 stacks of vulnerability is a 25% dps loss (less for you because as a tempest you already make a lot of vulnurability)
  2. Did you use food ? Food is another 3k
  3. Exo gear and no infusions is like 15% dps loss, more if you haven't adjusted for lower crit chance and are missing something like exo back with jewel in it
  4. you miss empower allies and frost and sun spirit frost spirit allone is 5%
  5. Have you used the big hit box golem? If not your build has a dps loss

The rest of your dps loss should be explained by slow/sloppy rotation

Do you have a consistent group to raid with? Friends, a guild, something like that? If so I recommend asking them whether you need to get higher DPS and what they expect you to achieve.

The benchmarks used by Snowcrows are often an ideal - the maximum they could achieve with that build - rather than what you need to get through the raids. Even the fairly strict (for me) raid training guild I was in for a while only required people to get within 20% of the benchmark and that's if they were using ascended equipment, food, infusions etc. At the extreme end one guild I've raided with actively discouraged the use of Arc or getting benchmarks, they encouraging using good or recommended builds but their attitude was very much that everyone should bring what they could and we'd figure out how to use it when we got in there. Admittedly it often took more practice and tweaking of builds between attempts, but it was more fun and I learned a lot more about how the raid mechanics worked than following someone who just said where to stand and when to attack and if you want to know why go and watch Youtube videos afterwards.

I'm sure some groups are much more strict than that (I deliberately seek out informal or casual groups, even for raiding) but even so they may not need you to actually reach the benchmark to join in.

@Kristophsky.7539 said:This is with all boons, Banner of Strength, Banner of Discipline, Assassin's Presence, and Spotter.

All boons, banner of strength, banner of discipline, empower allies, spotter, sun spirit, frost spirit.

That's the correct setup since it's based on what one assumes will be available in a regular raid setup.

Food makes up around 3k, infusions around 1k in dps difference. Looking at your rotation, you have a lot of cancelled auto attacks and skills. That will impact performance. Without a snowcrows log to compare, and not having one for ele myself atm, I'd suggest you work on execution and rotation first and foremost.

Break the rotation down into segments and practice those. Figure out what the basic loop of the rotation is and practice that. Then once you know that by heart, work on optimizing speed.

Honestly, the entire rotation just isn't good. Compare your log with the SC log and you will notice that you cast things in a completely different order. On top of that you are also way too slow. You cast your first fgs at 24 seconds. You are already 10 seconds behind the benchmark number. And that's still just the start of your rotation.

@"Kristophsky.7539" said:Hey thanks for the reply! I updated some of the stuff and here's my log https://dps.report/b4zA-20200730-231137_golemSo i don't have food, infusions except for agony on one ring, this time i did big box golem. Please tell me what you think and thanks!

According to that report you wasted around 23% of your time by interrupting your own skills casts.

You didn't cast air 5 at the start. You used water and fire auto attacks, earth 2(waste of time). You used hammer skills that arent 4 and 1 (in actual raids 3 can be used for cc and 2 for extra quickness if supports are bad, but you don't need them in benchmark).

Extra tips:

• After casting fgs 5, use either weapon stow button or escape button to cancel the huge aftercast animation.

Considering that most raid/fractal rotations drop the weapon after casting 5, you want drop it as soon as the last skill 5 in the combo finished its channeling bar.

• Swap attunements mid skill casts. Attuning to water and earth should last like half second each because you only need to cast one skill, otherwise you waste time on their autoattacks (earth one being terrible).
  • Cast fire 3 slightly behind the golem so it can hit 3 times.
  • Dont attune to earth so often, it's only good for its skill 5 and in raids/fracs you'll mostly want to use it to blind mobs (and use skill 4 to improve boon uptimes).
  • Move away from the boss when casting air 5 so it can hit more often.